I’ve got another recipe to get you out of that boring-chicken rut!

It’s super simple and packed with tons of flavor. All you must do is marinate it beforehand, and cook when ready to eat. So tasty and loaded with layers of deliciousness.

And if you’re wondering, I think I spent more on this fresh basil than my latest pair of shoes.

You can only imagine how excited Mr. How Sweet gets when I cook chicken. It’s like Garth Brooks is touring again and his openers are Stone Cold Steve Austin and Triple H in a “fascinating” WWF match. With a Nascar race during intermission.

Chicken is an exciting topic in the How Sweet household.

But to be fair, almost anything is better than the stuff he used to eat in his bachelor days. If chicken gets you all hot and bothered too, I suggest trying some chicken chickpea soup, one pot tortilla soup, cheesy chicken and rice bake, crunchy honey chicken, healthy crunchy chicken fingers, buffalo chicken burgers or chicken mac and cheese. Mmmmmmm… cheese.

The possibilities here are endless: you can make a toasted sandwich, a pasta dish, serve it with rice, make a chicken bruschetta quesadilla, even throw it on top of pizza.

Or you can be like Mr. How Sweet and eat it with your fingers as soon as your spouse has finished photographing it. He has no shame.

I think he loved it, but I really couldn’t tell since his mouth was full. I did manage to translate that this was some of the “most tender chicken he had ever tasted.”

Try the marinade people.

Grilled Tomato Basil Chicken

serves 2 (or 1, if you’re Mr. How Sweet)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 large tomatoes

1/4 cup fresh chopped basil

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

for marinade:

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or any vinegar you have on hand)

1 tablespoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried mustard

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

2-24 hours before cooking, tenderize meat (with a meat tenderizer or frying pan), season generously with salt and pepper, and place in a ziplock bag. Add marinade ingredients and make sure all chicken is covered. Store in the refrigerator, flipping occasionally, until 30 minutes before grilling.

Preheat oven to 375.

Preheat grill, grill pan, or skillet on medium heat (I used a cast iron grill pan) and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill chicken 2-3 minutes on each side, until just cooked. Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

While chicken is baking, chop one tomato and slice the other into thick rounds. Lay slices of tomato on a platter. When chicken is done, slice and lay on top of tomato. Cover with basil, chopped tomato, garlic and parmesan.

Maybe if I make this every night I’ll win the battle over the turkey? One can dream.

98 Responses to “Grilled Tomato Basil Chicken.”

Jenn | the kitchen dish — January 4, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Yum! I froze a bunch of basil this summer and now I know just what to do with it! I am thinking this would be delicious over pasta.

Brittany — January 4, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Chicken is the best because it is so versitile and full of protein. This looks delicious and I love the colour of all those healthy ingredients.

Happy new Year!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 4, 2011 @ 11:54 am

I spy vegetables.

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:58 am

Shhhhh.

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — January 4, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

I love chicken, by far my favorite meat. You can do almost anything with it – buffalo, italian, chinese, barbeque, etc.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 4, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

I wish I could afford basil right now. It’s a sad life I lead – I’m no millionaire! I can’t wait until the spring when I get another basil plant!

I love reading about Mr. How Sweet – it makes me not feel as bad about posting stories about the husband.

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Not only is it expensive, but most of it is gross too! Already going bad and they still ask too much for it.

• Monica — January 16th, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

What I do is use the extra basil and whip up a small batch of pesto with it, that way you get the fresh basil for whatever you are making right then, and a pesto for future use that you can keep in the fridge for a bit/throw in the freezer.

Holly — January 4, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Making this tomorrow. For sure. You had me @ fresh basil ;)

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 4, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Looks totally delicious!

Hannah — January 4, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

And I completely understand, because that’s Basil Blahnik, right? ;) Looks fabulous and, actually, rather perfect for the current Aussie summer!

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — January 4, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

YUM! I am bookmarking this one for the summer when I have my tomato and basil plant in the garden!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 4, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Yum!! Its like chicken bruschetta :)

Mr. How Sweet It Is — January 4, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Wait….Garth Brooks is touring?? And Triple H is going to wrestle Stone Cold Steve Austin?? And there’s a NASCAR race too??? I cannot wait to buy that t-shirt. And promptly cut the sleeves off it.

Duchess of Fork — January 4, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Beautiful pictures, girl!

Erica — January 4, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

This looks fab! I love all the fresh tomatoes on top. Now if only I could get Josh to like tomatoes….darn it!

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

If I will eat it… anyone will.

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — January 4, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

This looks great! I’m always looking for new chicken recipes for the fiance-and I love to find ones that aren’t smothered in cheese!!!! Thanks!

Heather — January 4, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

this sounds amazing! i’ve never actually seen parmesan cheese in a marinade…did its flavor really come through in the chicken?

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Yes, it was delicious!

Nicole, RD — January 4, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

tomato + basil…you can’t ever go wrong. Cheese is a bonus, too ;)

Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 4, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

Such a beautiful, rustic dish! Not to mention healthy!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — January 4, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

WEIRD- look at my post from today… ;)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — January 4, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I love EVERYTHING about this recipe! Tomato-basil is one of my favorite combos…especially on chicken!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 4, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Tomato and basil were made for each other! This looks perfect!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 4, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Isn’t it ridiculous how expensive fresh herbs are?? And I can never seem to get through them all on my own. This sounds lovely though. I don’t think I could ever be a vegetarian because chicken holds a special place in my heart. :D

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

I can never go through them all either. Then end up dying in my crisper drawer.

Healthy chocoholic — January 4, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Yummy!!! Tomatoes and basil are sooooo perfect!!!! All summer, we had fresh basil growing in the garden! Soo good! =D Thanks for the recipe!

Kori — January 4, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

This looks light and delicious and so fresh! Thanks for sharing a simple weeknight idea!

Cara — January 4, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Mmmm!
    Looks like bruschetta – the bread, of course :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — January 4, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

Beautiful colors & a wonderful recipe! Healthy too :) xo

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — January 4, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Yum! Tomato and basil with chicken… winner winner chicken dinner!

Kristina @ spabettie — January 4, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Mmm, Basil.

poor basil is in such a sad state right now… I miss it.

and that concert?? sounds FUN ! ;)

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

I can’t wait ’til GOOD basil is back!

Bethany — January 4, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

What a beautiful dish! Unfortunately, I just can’t handle raw tomatoes — I know, it’s so weird. But I have had a lot of success subbing in sun dried tomatoes, which also taste GREAT with fresh basil. I may have to go that route here…

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Not weird.. I really don’t like tomatoes either, but I liked this! That sounds delicious tho!

Kim in MD — January 4, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

That sure looks like a lot of vegetables on top of that chicken! ;-)

This is right up my alley…I love grilled chicken and every ingredient in this dish. This is a must try for me! Thanks, Jessica!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — January 4, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Umm this is to die for! I want it. Too bad Jon doesn’t eat tomatoes. Honestly- how can you not like tomatoes?

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

I really don’t like tomatoes and I ate this!

Travel Food Phil — January 4, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Loving the freshness of this recipe, a great antidote to all the drinking and binge eating of heavy food over Christmas and New Year!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — January 4, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

This one is saved for our summer months when our basil is ready!! Woot!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 4, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Sometimes you just need fresh basil, even in the dead of winter ;-)

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 4, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

The tomato and basil looks incredible on top of the chicken!! So fresh and light, too. These pictures are crazy incredible.

Vanessa — January 4, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

The only descent basil I see nowadays is it at work. Even there some of the bag is gross. This recipe looks delishhh.

Caitlin — January 4, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

Could that shot of the tomato get ANY more gorgeous???

Seriously. I want to live inside your camera.

Maria — January 4, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I know the hubs will love this one! Thanks!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 4, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

I hate spending so much money on fresh herbs! It’s just not right. In the summer I grow my own but have yet to find the perfect indoor system. Dish looks yummy!

Byn — January 4, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

the current state of tomatoes and basil in my grocery store make me sad! has anyone tried growing their own basil? might put that on my winter to-do list.

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

I never have, but I’d love to!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — January 4, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

I think its time you come out with a cookbook! hahaha its hard trying to keep up with all your great recipes that I want to try!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — January 4, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

I just discovered that basil tastes FANTABULOUS on the grill! this looks so yummy! great photos!

Heidi A — January 4, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

This looks wonderful! Definitely on the weekend menu!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — January 4, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

YUMMMM fresh basil…

Lauren C — January 4, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Man oh man. This makes me want to try harder at keeping my basil plant alive!

Lisa @Thrive Style — January 4, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Holy Cow! I’m in—the picture alone sold me on this one!

It sounds fab, and I definitely love the combination of tomatoes and basil.

Lovin’ your recipes :)

~Lisa

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

Thanks Lisa! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit — January 4, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I’m wondering, since you talk about how frequently you and your husband eat meat, do you buy organic/local/hormone free?

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Occasionally buy local, but not often. But I always buy organic and hormone free if I am eating it. However, I myself don’t really eat much meat (besides bacon!) so many times my husband is in charge of buying it, and he buys it in bulk then we freeze. He couldn’t care less about the kind of meat he eats (regardless of what I say) as long as it’s lean… and if we only bought organic for him, we’d be broke.

• Annie@stronghealthyfit — January 4th, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Makes sense :-) My husband and I don’t buy much meat bc it’s so expensive to buy the “good stuff”.

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

I hear ya girl! I’d love to buy all organic for him, but he is quite set in his ways. I don’t know what it would take for him to eat all organic!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 4, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

omg- this looks amazing!!! I don’t eat too much meat, but this is definitely a meal that I would splurge on!

Tracy — January 4, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

Yum, it looks so delicious all layered up with the tomato and basil!

Red Deception — January 4, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

That looks ridiculously delicious. I can see how the MR can’t get enough!

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} — January 4, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Looks delicious! I love grilled chicken :) great photos. I love fresh basil and sadly my last batch just froze as the temps dropped, I should have brought it inside..where was my brain, then I would have some for dinner tonight!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Grilled Tomato Basil Chicken | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Kitchen Inspiration « Simply Kelly Anne