I’ve been in NASCAR jail since Friday afternoon.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

In case you didn’t know, today is the Daytona 500. I didn’t know this for 24 years. But now that I have Mr. How Sweet in my life, he will never let me forget it. It will most likely be his best day of 2011… depending on who wins of course.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

He’s been glued to the TV all weekend, watching and re-watching every possible NASCAR special known to man. I even think some tears were shed. But you didn’t hear that from me.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

He has the diecast cars out to decorate and is wearing a Dale Earnhardt t-shirt from 1991. And there might be a big cooler of beer in the foyer.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

Needless to say, I’m running far, far away until Sunday evening. And taking some credit cards with me.
Since the only food gracing our kitchen this afternoon is 16 pounds of meat and a gallon of ketchup, I wanted to leave him something else to snack on. And since he absolutely loves rice crispy treats, and since I’m so annoyingly obsessed with cake batter flavors, I quickly combined the two. The result is a cakey-flavored crispy treat with tons of sprinkles. Love.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Cake Batter Crispy Treats

original recipe on the back of the cereal box!

3 tablespoons butter

1 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows

1/4 cup yellow cake mix

6 cups rice krispies cereal

1 1.75-ounce container of sprinkles

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows. Stir until they begin to melt, adding in cake mix one spoonful at a time so its combined. Stir in cereal so it is completely coated with marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle in half of the sprinkles and mix. Press into a baking dish (any size will do) and top with remaining sprinkles. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting. I find spraying a knife with nonstick spray helps to cut them.

[/print_this]

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

Chances are these will last less than 30 seconds. I can already see him alternating bites of burgers and crispy treats.

221 Responses to “Cake Batter Crispy Treats.”

Melissa — March 2, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

Oh no! Can you help me? I made these and they turned out really hard! Did I do something wrong?

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Were they immediately hard? They need to be sealed if not eaten right away, like kept in an air tight container. I’m really not sure why they would be hard, I’ve never heard of that happening with rice krispy treats!

• Adrienne — June 24th, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Overcooking will do that regular krispie treats! Try melting the butter and the ‘mallows and mixing in the cake mix and then getting away from the heat (but don’t let it cool down) before you immediately stir in the Krispies. I haven’t made these so I’m sure if this will help, but it may be worth a try!

• bev — July 14th, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

I find that when I used a bag of previously opened marshmallows, my treats end up harder – use a fresh bag…don’t know what that has to do with it, but it seems to work.

• ivyleaves — September 18th, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Sometimes people press them into the pan too much and they get hard and dry tasting that way, use a gentle hand.

• Melissa — September 18th, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

I tried making them a second time and they turned out great! Thanks!

• Christine — December 15th, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Too much butter will make them hard also .. stick to the exact recipe..and dont OVERCOOK… Just till its melted… Good luck and dont give up

Suzanne — March 5, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

what a super idea, can’t wait to try these out!

Michelle — March 12, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Just posted about these. Thanks for a new favorite treat!!!

ashley — March 20, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

ok so these were amazing!! definitely would make them again.

Tarrah Dame — April 7, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

Hey thanks for sharing these! Got to knock another one off of my looong list of HowSweet recipes I need to make…loved these! :) Linked you.
    DameGoodEats

A. Brooks — April 23, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Great recipe. I love this, it tastes so good.

Elizabeth — April 28, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

I just stumbled across this recipe yesterday and happen to be making Crispy treats today. I just made them and decided to throw in half of the cake mix. They are amazing! I didn’t have sprinkles, so they aren’t nearly as colorful, but I did have colored sugar to top them with at least. Thanks for the ideas! It’s so much fun reading your recipes and stories!!

Melissa — May 10, 2011 @ 9:47 am

These were a big hit this past Mother’s Day Weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Louise — June 10, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Yummy! These are cooling down now but just spent eating the remains from the pot. Mine don’t look half as pretty thanks to lack of sprinkles in the house but they do taste good.

I was worried because I live in the UK and I’ve never really seen cake mix or even used it – but they turned out great with just a cheap Tesco own brand one :)

Kristina — July 8, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

These are absolutely delicious! Such a hit. The yellow cake mix adds something special.

Elise — August 3, 2011 @ 1:06 am

I just made these tonight for my boyfriend and we both can’t wait to get into these! I love to add shredded coconut and a little coconut extract to mine but hes not a fan so these were an amazing compromise! Thanks for saving my relationship :)

Nicole — August 3, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

Oh my yummy! I just made these and they are soooo good! I have a complete obsession with anything cake batter flavored. :)

Linsey — August 19, 2011 @ 2:08 am

Thanks so much for this delicious recipe. I made them today and they are divine. I used 1/2 cup cake mix and I think using even a little bit more would make them that much better, if that is even possible. Thanks again!

PS~Erin — August 30, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

I just found your site through pinterest. I love it, and I am making this recipe asap! Thank you!

Emily — September 6, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

love your site! I was wondering how you think these would handle being sent in the mail….

Kendra — September 29, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

Dear Jessica, I once got roped into attending a NASCAR race with my man. before that day, I had zero.point.zero.zero interest in cars and or/cars driving in circles all day. Seeing it in person officially got me hooked…..I now don my team colours and watch the races weekly. So, the moral of the story is get Mr. How Sweet to take you to a race in a city you’d like to go to! There’s even one in Sedona…. :-)

• Jessica — September 29th, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

OH man… he has been BEGGING me to go to a race!

• Lynda — December 7th, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Jessica, I came here for the Cake flavored RCT’s (THANK YOU!) and found you talking NASCAR. LOL! Recently my friends from California came to visit us, and we drove down to Talladega (Alabama) for the NASCAR race. You have to try it at least once. Now I can’t claim that experience has made me a NASCAR “Fan” but I can say it was a hoot to try at least once… and it made the Hubby VERY happy. Really, it wasn’t that bad. Oh, but do bring earplugs because it is noisy!

OK, public service announcement done, now I’m running to the pantry for the rice crispies and the cake mix! ~ Lynda
        Highlights here: http://pixilatedtoo.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/dega-baby/

Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook — October 5, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

I made these for Rachel’s birthday (she’s a huge cake batter fiend – don’t let her skinny looks fool you) – they were a hit! We are featuring on this weeks Taste Test Thursday. Too good not to share. Thanks Jessica, these treats were a hit at the party! :)

Linda — October 7, 2011 @ 1:05 am

These were great even when i “tweeked” it using CHOCOLATE Cake mix!!!! and mini chocolate chips. Thanks for the recipe and the couple extra pounds :)

• JHollyhock (aka Jennifer) — May 26th, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

Thanks! That is what I was looking for as I have chocolate cake mix and not yellow. Looking forward to trying it out!

Cara @ WhimsySmitten — October 12, 2011 @ 11:00 am

Yum! Stumbled upon this on Pinterest and now I can’t wait to try them. Don’t have the stuff to make them handy, but a trip to the store might be warranted for just such an occasion. Mmm mmm! Thanks for sharing!

Wanda Russell — October 15, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Saw this on Pinterest. Tried today for the LSU game. Used halloween sprinkles. Still hot & haven’t tasted them yet, but they are just too cute!! thanks for sharing!

lauren — November 21, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Hi There,
    Is there anything you can use instead of the yellow cake mix? we dont have that here in
    new zealand,what about a vanilla cake mix? or is that pretty much the same thing?

• Holly — December 3rd, 2011 @ 1:49 am

Lauren, we don’t have naything called yellow cake mix in australia either, but if you can find butter cake mix I’m pretty sure it’s exactly the same. but I’m sure vanilla would work as well

Carrie — February 2, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! I made these with my own adaptations and posted here: http://thedealgirls.com/2012/02/birthday-cake-rice-krispie-bars/… also shared the link back to you.

Thanks for the creative idea!!!

meghan — February 2, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

lauren and holly- i used strawberry mix for mine and tgey were fantastic! versitile recipie

Jess — February 15, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

Perfect! Loved them

Nut — May 9, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

Can u substitute marshmallow cream for actual marshmallows?

Rachel — June 28, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

I think next time I will try putting a little more of the cake mix in there, I was hoping for a more amped up cake flavor. That being said, I used my own recipe for rice krispie treats which calls for more butter and more marshmallows so my ratio’s were probably off. Will definitely be making these again….I love all things cake batter flavored!!

HomemadeMother — July 22, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Such a fun idea! I used chocolate cake batter (because its what I had in the pantry) and I doubled the amount. Results were so tasty. Quite a treat!

Annie — January 16, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

are you aware an Etsy seller has stolen your idea and your images for their shop?

Cho thuê căn hộ — April 10, 2013 @ 12:00 am

I do agree with all the concepts you have offered in your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very quick for beginners. Could you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

Beja — August 17, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

You haven’t met me or my friend Minnie, but we talk about how when it comes to food that your recipes always win.

Seriously. When we make your stuff, we get encores.

ConfusedPolarBear — September 27, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

I only have big marshmallows, can I use those and how would it convert?

Hannah — January 30, 2014 @ 1:52 pm

I made these to take camping with us, I couldn’t figure out a productive way to package them so we didn’t have a lot of waste form the packaging. I formed them into balls and put them all in one Ziploc bag and it worked perfectly!! Everyone LOVED them and I did not have to carry any of them home!

Melissa — April 9, 2014 @ 1:34 am

I made these for my boyfriends kids and they took them to school in slabs! :)

1. Pingback: BWE: Baking with ExTrAs « Acronym of the Day

2. Pingback: Marshmallow Treats 2 Ways

3. Pingback: WIAW: Master Chef | Films, Food, and Beer

4. Pingback: {Recipe} Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats – Healthy Coconut

5. Pingback: Happy 4th of July! Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treats

6. Pingback: Brooke Murphy Photography | Brooke Murphy Photography

7. Pingback: Craft Crawlers » In the Kitchen: Cake Batter Crispy Treats

8. Pingback: Confetti Slice | Frocks & Frou Frou

9. Pingback: Pink Lemonade Rice Krispy Treats | Bake with Christina

10. Pingback: Sweet and simple treats for back to school #eggfree | The Mommy Times