Cashew Chicken.

I have another chicken dish for you that surely won’t disappoint!

cashew chicken I howsweeteats.com

I really don’t even know if I can call this cashew chicken. I don’t know how “regular” cashew chicken is made. And I sort of just threw this together. What else am I supposed to call it? Chicken with cashews? Weird. A ton of stuff I threw together in the throes of recipe block? True… but weirder.
It’s cashew chicken How Sweet style. Really, just a spinoff of crunchy honey chicken.

cashew chicken I howsweeteats.com

It’s pretty darn good too. I initially thought it was delicious, but I just never know the true outcome until Mr. How Sweet’s taste buds react given they have the maturity of a 5-year old. Luckily, it was a winner.
I served it with jasmine rice because I simply adore jasmine rice. I want to eat my weight in jasmine rice daily.

cashew chicken I howsweeteats.com

It’s just so… incredible. When I eat jasmine rice, I taste coconut and vanilla and sweetness. I don’t know if that’s right but that’s how jasmine rice moves me. Okay… I’m done talking about jasmine rice.
Oh, except for the fact that I’m convinced it makes the dish even better. Don’t serve the chicken without it. (Now I’m done.)

cashew chicken I howsweeteats.com

So, I think you should make this tonight. I am. And I don’t like to be alone.
We ate it for dinner last night, but it was so good that it’s on the menu for a second night in a row. If you know me, you know that is a huge thing in this house. Eating the same thing for dinner two nights in a row nearly makes me break out in hives. Unless it includes chocolate and/or bacon.

cashew chicken I howsweeteats.com

3 green onions, chopped

1/4 cup shelled edamame

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup unsalted cashews

3 tablespoons honey

3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then sprinkle cornstarch on chicken pieces and make sure each piece is somewhat coated. (You can add a little more if needed.) Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and add chicken. Brown on both sides until cooked, about 5 minutes per side. Add garlic, red pepper, edamame, half of the green onions and cashews and stir for 30 seconds. Turn heat to medium low.

In a small bowl, mix soy sauce and honey. Pour into skillet, coating chicken and vegetables. Serve with jasmine rice.

[/print_this]

cashew chicken I howsweeteats.com

Now I’m going to have some jasmine rice for breakfast. I’m a little obsessed. I love that it’s readily available for me to eat everyday. Is this real life?

164 Responses to “Cashew Chicken.”

CherylK — May 23, 2011 @ 8:37 am

I’ve just decided that this is what we’re having for dinner, tonight. Your recipe looks fabulous.

I’m out of jasmine rice (which I love) so I think I’ll go with brown rice which also has a sort of sweet, nutty flavor and texture. Do you think brown rice will be too “heavy”? Maybe I’ll just go buy the jasmine…

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I think brown will work!

Katy — July 20, 2011 @ 12:16 am

made this tonight and it was a hit!! Friends 3yr old, who never eats anything, gobbled it up! I added broccoli and marinated the chicken overnight(which really wasn’t necessary).
    Thanks so much for a great recipe- it will now be a go-to!

Debbie — September 12, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

I just made this tonight (with brown rice) and it was GREAT! Can’t wait for the leftovers tomorrow.

cs72 — October 3, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

Found this recipe a few months ago. The first time I made it me, and my (very picky) husband both LOVED it! I make it all the time now!

Annie — October 4, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

This looks great! I think I’ll give this a try soon and use tofu in place of the chicken!

Jill — January 5, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

I am so making this tomorrow night. Even have Jasmine rice!! Looks wonderful.

Melissa — January 10, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

I made this tonight and everyone loved it, well everyone except my super picky 4 year old who just didn’t like the way it looked. She doesn’t count though. I used basmati rice and it was yum!

Allison — March 11, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

I’m a new follower and made a batch of peanut butter brown sugar cupcakes this weekend, along with cashew chicken. I LOVE your dishes, and your writing! Thanks for sharing.

Julie — March 21, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

I just made this for the second time, and my kids and I devoured it. I’ve never been able to cook anything remotely Asian – from scratch – in a good way. Until now. This is a wonderful recipe. Today I substituted asparagus for the edamame. Yum. First time I’m commenting on a food blog – absolutely love your recipes and writing. Thank you!!

Shelley — May 1, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

I made this tonight. It was a hit! I added celery, green beans and yellow onion, also a dash of sesame oil and served with udon noodles. Can’t wait for left overs! I even shared it with my Facebook group “Tired of the Same Ol’ Same Ol’ Dinners.” Thank you!!!

Liz — May 14, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Made this for dinner last night and will definately be in the dinner rotation for awhile. So good and simple. Don’t know if it’s the combination of ingredients but it was umami inducing. Thanks. Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes. Enjoy reading your blog.

Marcia — May 27, 2012 @ 2:55 am

I just want to say that, this is one of our favorite recipes at the moment, it came out really good!! My husband loved it, and my kids didn’t fuss about it (they just didn’t like the bell peppers). A hit!

Maree — July 23, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

This is a great recipe…quick, easy & delicious! Thanks : )

Kathy — August 3, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

What about the other half of the green onions?

Melissa — May 5, 2013 @ 11:11 pm

I have to let you know, I stumbled on your recipe from pinterest. This is now a regular dinner at our house. Everyone loves it! And I love that. I also change it up a bit based on what veggies I have in the house, add carrots or broccoli. When I don’t have edamame and actually I rarely add the red pepper because the kids don’t like it. Always delicious!

Taylor — August 26, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

I rarely ever leave comments on recipes I come across…but I want you to know that I absolutely loved this dish! It was so simple to make and jasmine rice is one of my favorite side dishes ever (partially because it makes my apartment smell so good while it’s cooking). Glad I came across this!

• Jessica — August 26th, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

i’m so glad! thank you.

Lee @ tri*inspired*life — February 15, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

I made this dish this week and we really enjoyed it! I actually doubled the recipe so we would have left overs, and I am so glad I did. I will be making this dish again soon! I have a blog focusing on my life around triathlon training and I linked to your blog today because I posted about this recipe and how tasty it is!

Rick — February 18, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

My question, what happens to the mushrooms?

“Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet”.

1. Pingback: The Green Monster’s Dirty Mistress | Snax And The City

2. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Salmon Dance | Snax And The City

4. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » Cashew Chicken Stir Fry

5. Pingback: Look what I made! | Two Times Photography

6. Pingback: The Menu. « The Dentons

7. Pingback: Healthy Chicken Stir Fry « life in green

8. Pingback: Springtime Jasmine Rice Salad | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Healthy Cashew Chicken « My Healthy 'Ohana

10. Pingback: Last Night’s Dinner « Whisking Up Goodness in the River City

11. Pingback: Crockpot Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Whole Wheat Orzo | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo. | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: 12 Light and Healthy Recipes | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Cashew Chicken « Market Blog

15. Pingback: Tasty Tuesdays | Healthy Cashew Chicken | Making Life Sweet | Lauren Hardy

16. Pingback: What’s for Dinner? |

17. Pingback: Healthy Cashew Chicken |

18. Pingback: Tuesday Tips and Tricks |

19. Pingback: Chopped Cashew Chicken Salad | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Thai Cashew Chicken | Cozy Cuisine

21. Pingback: A post about the kitchen. « the days of my life.

22. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Healthier Dinner Ideas | How Sweet It Is