Told you that I love pink!

And I’ve had dyed fingers all week to prove it. Contrary to what Mr. How Sweet believes, I do shower. Sometimes.
This is a two-for-one recipe, as I made two different batches of cake balls but threw them together for Valentines’ Day sake.

My favorite are the strawberry cake balls covered in milk chocolate, but I also made some vanilla cake balls with a tiny bit of pink food coloring for Mr. How Sweet.

I know this question is coming, so I do not recommend straying from the boxed cake mix unless you are a seasoned baker. By using a boxed mix, I know that every single time I make the cake balls, they will turn out. And I know that every single time, I will only need 1 1/2 cups of my own frosting, or 1 can of prepared frosting. While this is super easy, it is a lot of “busy” work – prepare the cake, bake the cake, crumble the cake, refrigerate, roll the balls, refrigerate again, dip in chocolate, decorate, refrigerate…
I don’t have the time nor the desire to screw up proportions and have to start again. I have more important things to do, like watch Dawson’s Creek reruns and fry bacon to replenish my jar of grease in the fridge. Plus, who doesn’t love cake balls?

Technically the pink velvet ones aren’t really pink velvet. But along with vanilla extract, I added a drop of chocolate extract for a bit of cocoa flavor. I’ve been making Mr. How Sweet red velvet cake balls for years, as they are one of his favorite treats. Right up there with chocolate chip cookies and Diet Coke.

You can also find many fun ways to decorate them.

I used a pink sugar sparkle glaze, some sprinkles, and extra drizzled chocolate.

Thank goodness I have a spouse, because if I was left to my own devices I’d probably buy hot pink carpeting and hot pink paint. It would be putrid.
I’m sure you can guess which ones I hoarded for myself due to my obsession with sprinkles.

Almost as good as a real chocolate covered strawberry, which just happen to be one of my favorite treats. I’d buy stock in Godiva chocolate strawberries if I could. They can’t be beat.

[print_this]

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Balls

makes about 40 1-inch balls

1 box Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix, prepared and baked

1 1/2 cups cream cheese frosting (homemade or 1 can of prepared)

6 ounces high quality white, dark or milk chocolate (I often use Ghiradelli or Lindt)

additional pink food coloring if desire (I used a drop for a more pink look)

sprinkles, decorations, etc

Prepare cake batter and bake as directed. I often use a 9 x 13 cake pan as I find this is easiest.

Once cake has cooled, scoop it out of the cake pan and into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add frosting and mix on low to medium speed until a pink dough forms. This can also be done by hand, but may not be mixed as well and will take longer. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Roll in 1-inch balls and place on parchment paper laying on a sheet pan. Freeze the balls for at least 1 hour. Right before removing, melt chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave (if in the microwave, melt in 30 second increments until melted completely). Using a fork, dip balls in chocolate and gently flip it around, just until coated. Lift it out with the fork, allowing any excess chocolate to drip off. Decorate as desired, refrigerating immediately after for at least a few minutes.

We like these best chilled, but they can also be kept at room temperature.
Pink Velvet Cake Truffles

makes about 40 1-inch balls

1 box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines again), prepared and baked

1 teaspoon vanilla or chocolate extract (or both) to add to cake batter

1 1/2 cups buttercream or cream cheese frosting (homemade or 1 can of prepared)

6 ounces white, dark or milk chocolate

a few drops of pink food coloring

sprinkles, decorations, etc

Follow exact instructions as chocolate covered strawberry cake truffles, adding pink food coloring to cake batter while mixing.

[/print_this]

In other news, you don’t even want to know what I had for lunch yesterday. You’re going to find out tomorrow, but it’s totally not what you think.

218 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Strawberry and Pink Velvet Cake Truffles.”

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 11, 2011 @ 1:43 am

I have never seen sparkley pink decor icing like that. Where did you find that, do tell! I am all about shiny and glittering things :) These are so cute. I made 4 batches of red velvet cake balls last Christmas and actually wore medical rubber gloves so my hands weren’t bright red!

So happy as my box from SPREAD arrived today! Can’t wait do dig in to my 7 new flavors of PB!

Alexa @ SimpleEats — February 11, 2011 @ 2:33 am

Where on earth did you get that gorgeous sparkly pink icing? I love it!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 2:34 am

Target! It’s Wilton. I linked it above.

Heather — February 11, 2011 @ 2:58 am

These are really pretty! I love pink too. I think they’d also be pretty coated in mint green for Easter.

And LOVE the sprinkles of course!

xo

Stephanie — February 11, 2011 @ 4:10 am

These look like the most fun ever!!

Angelina — February 11, 2011 @ 4:31 am

How did you make the sparkly pink icing?

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

It’s store bought! Wilton brand. I linked it above!

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — February 11, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

I’ve made these and put them on a lollipop stick. You can also mold them into different shapes, such as a heart shaped mold.
    Love the pink sparkly icing, so girly, I love it!

Jenna Gisvold — February 11, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

What makes these velvet? I don’t see any cocoa powder in the cake mix at all. Otherwise then that, I love the pink color.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

Did you read the post? I said they aren’t technically “velvet.” But I did add some chocolate extract for cocoa flavor.

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 11, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

Jessica, these are darling as are you :) xo

Erin — February 11, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

Weird! You kinda read my mind! I was just thinking about making cake balls last night (though not nearly as creatively as yours). My first attempt was foiled several weeks ago when my husband decided that the cakes “scraps” that were carefully wrapped in saran wrap were trash and chucked them.

Silly man!

But now I have more ideas thanks to you :)

kristen — February 11, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

These look so cute! I was just wondering if you had a homemade cream cheese recipe to use in the strawberry one??

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

I have a few on my blog under the cupcake recipes, but I usually take 2 blocks of cream cheese, 1 softened stick of butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 lbs of powdered sugar, and a few tablespoons of milk under I get the consistency I want!

alyce — February 11, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

I love strawberry cake. this sounds yum!

kate@ahealthypassion — February 11, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

omg this is the coolest idea ever. so perfect and pink

Nicole — February 11, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Does the center end up tasting like ganache, or does it have more of a cake like texture? I have never seen truffles made like this before. They sure are pretty.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Nope, it’s nothing like ganache, it’s no where near as rich. It’s not cakey either because yo mix it with frosting. It’s just sort of sweet and soft? I’m not sure how to describe it!

Ashley @perfectleypeared — February 11, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

These are absolutely adorable! :) i’m a tad bit afraid of truffles, but might take the challenge this weekend.

One Healthy Appl — February 11, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

PINK velvet cake balls?! I die. I want some with a big container of sprinkles right about now.

Tracy @ Commit To Fit — February 12, 2011 @ 3:03 am

I would do anything for cake balls, yum!

Casey — February 12, 2011 @ 3:50 am

I was so excited about these…I failed epicly! I got like 6 to come out right! Yours look amazing. Recap here: http://runningoutofme.blogspot.com/2011/02/whats-been-cooking.html

• Jessica — February 12th, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Oh man! I find making the balls the night before and dipping them the next day makes it a little easier. I’m a bit too impatient to do it all at once too.

becky — February 12, 2011 @ 5:18 am

Jessica all of these look amazing!! I have to ask you, what is pink sugar sparkle glaze??!!! Whatever it is I have to have it in my life pronto!!! I love your idea of doing a faux pink velvet by adding chocolate extract. I never would have thought of that. Okay, toodles!! :)

• Jessica — February 12th, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

It’s Wilton brand! I got it at Target.

Cheryl — February 12, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

OMG! I made these this morning, baked the cake yesterday. I also used strawberry canned frosting and added 3 oz of cream cheese. I can’t stop eatting the dough! I was making these for a bake sale but I don’t think they will get there my friends will get them for Valentine’s Day! My cousin sent me your site and now I can’t wait to see what you come up with everyday. These recipes are awesome! Thank you!!!!!

• Jessica — February 12th, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

They sound like they are going to be great! Thank YOU!

raphee — February 13, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

OH my men …. :O
    These looks like heaven … Seriously…
    I just put these on my to-do list (Which is kind of already VERY long, but still, they deserve one of the top spot!)
    You have such amazing ideas… :)

That Kind Of Girl — February 13, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

I’m making these right now! Happy pre-Valentine’s Day, lady, and thanks for the awesome idea for a holiday treat to bring into the office!

CFenner — February 14, 2011 @ 12:05 am

I love this! I am going to do this tonight. I already baked my cake in the microwave! Took 8 minutes at 1300 watts.

Justina — February 14, 2011 @ 4:48 am

Hello, and thank you so much for this recipe!! I tasted chocolates like this a couple weeks ago that I bought from a company, and i thought to myself “I can so make those myself!” .. but I decided to google it to see if there were any actual recipes for them, and then I found your site , and got so excited! I hope you dont mind, I featured your recipe on my blog for Valentine’s Day :-) and I even left your link in the post for my readers as well !

Thanks again !
    -Justina

• Jessica — February 14th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

So glad you like them!!

Julie @ Shining From Within — February 16, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

WOW! I LOVE this pink color! Definitely will be making these for my honey :)

Lizzy M. — February 18, 2011 @ 1:33 am

These look so good!

Jess — February 21, 2011 @ 12:43 am

Oh my goodness! These are adorable!
    I just found your sight today and I’ll definately be returning! All of these ideas are so clever. I read your about page and wanted to comment, but couldn’t. I’m 15 and I’ve been thinking that going into something with health would be pretty awesome. Maybe a personal trainer?
    The veggies thing made me laugh so hard, and your writing makes me smile!
    Jess : )

anoud — February 23, 2011 @ 6:11 am

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Sandi — May 14, 2011 @ 5:02 am

I am making these right now (2am pst) for a birthday tea party that I am having in…….EXACTLY 12 hours! I hope they turn out – waiting for the cake to cool, then scooping time! Wish me luck! I LOVE your blog, btw!

Lisa — June 19, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

Question have you used candy melts for your truffles? I like your method with the mixer

Erum — August 20, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

Hello

Where did you find the strawberry cake mix? I’ve checked a few stores and can’t find them anywhere.

Thanks!

• Lizzie — September 7th, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

I found it at Stop and Shop. Do you have one near you? They carry it.

• andrea — February 11th, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

pilsbury makes strawberry cake mix. I picked some up at Target for $1.00 last week :)

Lizzie — September 7, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

I prepared the cake balls last night and dipped them tonight! It was messy and fun all at the same time. My first attempt melting chocolate in the microwave and dipping something non-fruit. This recipe is def worth a try and it comes out delicious!!!

Zina Jackson — September 18, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

Hello! This was my first attempt at cake balls and I must say they are delicious!!! And I made EXACTLY 41 LIKE YOU SAID! Hallelujah! :) Anyway, I ran into difficulty when I melted 6oz of Ghiradelli White chocolate. I made a big mess and there wasnt enough chocolate for all of the balls. It seems that it was too dry at some point to coat the balls. any recommendations? I would love to make these for a baby shower I have coming up but I need a more polished look that what I came up with tonight if I am going to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Zina (I’ll be sure that when I post my balls on my blog to link to you as well! :) )

dude..man — October 20, 2011 @ 5:19 am

I’d kill for these..so mosit and delicious..screw chocolate pink ones are where it’s at and im a dude man

Amber — January 20, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

I’m making these for a baby shower I’m hosting tomorrow! I just finished mixing the baked cake and frosting together and am leaving it in a bowl covered with saran wrap overnight. I plan on forming the balls tomorrow morning, freezing them for an hour and then dipping them right before the event. Does this work or should I roll them in balls tonight rather than leaving the mixture all together in the bowl?

• Jessica — January 20th, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

Honestly I’d do the work tonight – refrigerate it for awhile and then roll into balls. Stick in the freezer for about an hour, remove, and roll into even smoother balls. Then dip tomorrow. In my opinion, the longer they are frozen before dipping, the easier!

• Amber — January 20th, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

Wow you are quick girl :) Thanks! So once I re-roll them into smoother balls after the hour in the freezer, where would I keep them overnight- fridge or freezer? #struggling…haha

• Jessica — January 20th, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

Either works, but I prefer to keep them in the freezer just so they are REALLY cold when I dip. I find it makes for smoother dipping.

Jennell — February 14, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

I just stumbled on your site by way of Facebook, and just made these yesterday for my girls teachers. they are to die for!

K — May 23, 2012 @ 9:04 am

I might make these tomorrow :) but I am already confused by the recipe >.<… I have no idea where to find a pink cake mix, and it'll be my first time. So hopefully it turns out as good as yours did! xo

Gray E. — February 12, 2014 @ 5:12 pm

I ruined the recipe!! I overcooked the cake ( I was in the shower) and the inside is still nice and pink; but the outside is a hideous brown colour. I also forgot an egg in the mix; but it didn’t seem to effect the consistency much. Still have an extra box of the cake mix…should I try shaving off the brown layers of the first cake, or just make a new one? What do you suggest? Thanks in advance c:

• Jessica — February 12th, 2014 @ 5:14 pm

i would just slice off the brown edges – when mixed with the icing it should be fine!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Truffles and Pink Velvet Cake Truffles | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Love Is In the Air « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

3. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

4. Pingback: » Valentines Day Cake Balls

5. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

6. Pingback: Cake Balls! « Strong, Healthy, Fit

7. Pingback: Chocolate Covered Strawberry and Pink Velvet Cake Truffles « i FinD Recipes Online

8. Pingback: White chocolate cake pops « Toned In Tie Dye

9. Pingback: Shrimp, Shrimp, & Cake! But not all together | looptoloop

10. Pingback: TT’s Shower Recipe – Cake Pops! « Hoping in God

11. Pingback: Why Comment on Blogs? | i am baker

12. Pingback: Strawberry “Pink” Milk- a facile treat for Valentine’s Day | Girls Dream

13. Pingback: i vanished, but now i’m back! « blondie bakes and bikes

14. Pingback: # nautical baby shower for Booh | hashtag marci

15. Pingback: From the Blogosphere: Yummy Valentines Day Desserts! | Pretty in the East