I’m taking it down a notch today.

After all, we needed to eat some form of food other than bacon and cupcakes. Although I deem both to be highly acceptable complete meals.

Some of you may remember that this time last year, Mr. How Sweet thought it would be funny to grow a mustache.

To put it nicely, he looked like a major creep.

So creepy that I had the phone to my ear, dialing Chris Hanson.

In retaliation, I refused to make him dinner and lived on guacamole, hummus, eggs, cheese, bacon, toast and soup for dinner. It was fabulous. I love those things, but for Mr. How Sweet? No meat does not a dinner make.

I would leisurely stretch out on the couch and watch trash on TV while he rushed home from a long day of work to an empty kitchen.

I even took it as far to purposely make things he dislikes, like pancakes with coconut and homemade peppermint patties.

I’m giggling just thinking about it.

This past weekend, I thought I stepped back in time. On our way out the door to a party, Mr. How Sweet came down the stairs to reveal a shaven neck… but not a face.

My eyes nearly popped out of my head at the impending crustache that was forming.

So I “gently” harassed him for the next 45 minutes, reminding him what it was like to go without a home cooked meal… that didn’t include ground turkey or frozen burgers.

The next morning – no more fuzz! It seems we are making progress.

Or else he really just didn’t want to starve.

And luckily, he doesn’t have to! I made a double batch of this shrimp and pasta on Sunday for lunches, late dinners and snacks that require more than a measly apple. It is delicious and colorful and fresh. I added some crushed peanuts because it somewhat reminded me of pad thai, which is one of my all-time favorite dishes. But it’s nothing like pad thai at all.

It’s simple too – just marinate the shrimp, and once the pasta cooks throw everything together in a big skillet. Easy!

[print_this]

1/2 red pepper, chopped

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1 clove garlic

1 cup sugar snap peas

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 tablespoons peanuts, crushed

1/2 pound whole wheat pasta of your choice (I used capellini)

salt and pepper to taste

Combine marinade ingredients in a dish and whisk together. Add to a ziplock bag, along with the shrimp and marinate for 2-24 hours.

Once ready to cook, heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add peppers and mushrooms to the pan and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Bring pasta water to a boil and cook according to directions, draining and setting aside until later. Add garlic to the peppers and mushrooms and stir for 30 seconds. Add shrimp to pan and cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes. Add snap peas and pasta, thoroughly stirring until everything is mixed. Season with salt and pepper if desire and serve.

[/print_this]

Clearly you should not ask us for marriage advice. But if you’re wondering? I solve all problems with food.

99 Responses to “Ginger Lime Shrimp and Noodles.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 9, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Yum! I LOVE the combo of garlic & lime! Shrimp w/pasta is one of my favorite meals :)

Hannah — February 9, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Oh my gosh I’m so proud of us! I made an actual vegetable-containing proper dinner tonight too. With brown rice, mushrooms, and BROAD BEANS even.

And then I ate eight of the marzipan balls I just blogged.

Ah well. Can’t win ‘em all.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 9, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Clearly we have the same strategy when dealing with our husbands. I have refused to make him food before too – or I just make him something gluten free and vegan. That usually shuts him up.

Katrina — February 9, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Awesome looking dinner. It’s so colourful!

Gen — February 9, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Love shrimp, garlic, and lime together! Too bad my mom doesn’t eat seafood! =P

Blond Duck — February 9, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

If I don’t cook for Ben, he lives on pizza, ramen and bread. I can’t refuse!

ashley@quasichick — February 9, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Gosh your pics are so beautiful in this post! I’ve got to either get a better camera or get some mad photgraphing skills. This looks so yummy, as usual ;)
    Food is such a good bribe tool!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Thank you so much!

Blog is the New Black — February 9, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Jess, this looks fabulous, and I don’t even eat shrimp!!! :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life — February 9, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

That looks healthy and delicious! I would love to torture my husband with this ;)

Sarah Jayne — February 9, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Haha- I forget that my fiance has been rocking a faint mustache…on him it doesnt bother me! Maybe because there are no stuffed turkeys in our house, the only sports on tv is college basketball, and I have only seen him in a sleeveless shirt twice. Hmmmmm ;)

Really, really REALLY beautiful pics in this one!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

You are lucky.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 9, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

I love the ginger lime combo and have really been going crazy with ginger and citrus here myself. The boys would love this one. It is beautiful too with all the colors!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

I love that combo!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries — February 9, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

That meal looks so tasty! My fiance is the same way – no meat? Not a meal. Your pictures are beautiful in this post as well! :)

Jeanette — February 9, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

This looks like a beautiful, healthy and light meal!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 9, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Mmm it reminds me of eating Asian food on our cruise in the Carribean. Yum!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 9, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Love ginger and lime shrimpies! Good stuff!

Tracey — February 9, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Love the combination of flavors and the colors of the dish!

Heather — February 9, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

ha! i remember the mustache episode…i can’t believe he had his as long as he did too :)

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — February 9, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

This incorporates ALL of my favorite flavors — ginger, lime, shrimp, and even the peanuts you added! Going on the “must try” list.

Glad you nipped that whole mustache thing in the bud… none of us enjoyed that phase.

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Let’s hope I did for good!

Liz — February 9, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Pad Thai is an all-time favorite of mine too, and anything that resembles it (in looks or taste) is something I can’t wait to try! Thanks Jessica! (Hope this goes well with the better than crack brownies :) ) Have a good day!

megan @ blackberries for jam — February 9, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Food is a powerful weapon in a marriage. I’m happy to have the upper hand :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 9, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Hiliarious about the facial hair! My husband has never had any facial hair, he always shaves, thank goodness because I don’t think I would like it either.

This meal looks easy to make and actually is pretty light too. I would love those flavors!

MelissaNibbles — February 9, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

That looks delicious Jess!

Amanda (Eating Up) — February 9, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

This dish looks delicious! I love the noodle to other ingredients ratio!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 9, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Hahaha you’ve definitely got me giggling this morning! Love the sounds of this recipe – and all the bright colours too!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — February 9, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

funny, i recently told my hubby the mustache look wouldn’t fly either :) this dish looks great! can’t wait to try.

Nicole, RD — February 9, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Most every problem can be solved with food. Specifically, buffalo chicken dip if you’re dealing with my husband!

This looks amazing, Jess! I am loooving your photos! Gorgeous!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Thank you!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — February 9, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

The pictures of the lime zest is so gorg!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Thanks!

Cookin' Canuck — February 9, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

It sounds as though this meal was the perfect reward for shaving. Good food definitely has power, doesn’t it?

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 9, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

I love pad thai too, but I think I would love this even more. I’m still nervous to cook shrimp. How did I make it this long into having a food/recipe blog without cooking shrimp??

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

Nervous!? Don’t be nervous! It’s really easy. ;)

Kim in MD — February 9, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

You have me laughing out loud this morning!

I totally agree with you about mustaches- for me they are yuck! I’m sure some women love them (to each his/her own), but I personally don’t want to kiss someone with a wooly bear catepillar on their face! :-)

The pasta looks delicious, but I will have to sub chicken for the shrimp (allergies)! YUM!

Amanda @ The Nutritionist Reviews — February 9, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

I’ve been craving shrimp! This sounds like the perfect recipe to use it in!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 9, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

I just saw this on tv and thought you would love it!
    There is a chocolate and bacon giftbox with chocolate and bacon pancake mix and more!!!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

I’ve had it all before! Very good!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 9, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

This looks terrific. I definitely don’t include sugar snap peas in my cooking enough!

Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger — February 9, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

This looks awesome! This will be my valentine’s day dinner for the BF and I. He’s gonna love this!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 9, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Ginger and lime is such a delightful flavor combo! I made a cold noodle dish that was similar to this one, but this looks even better!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

I didn’t even think about eating this cold, but I bet it would be good!

EatLiveRun — February 9, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

Yum! This looks awesome. I would eat it right now and it’s only 6 a.m. here!

allison @ thesundayflog — February 9, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

i dont know what it is about your pictures, but everytime i scroll down in my reader, i know immediately i am looking at one of your posts. they are beautiful! do you use just natural light, or do you have a lightbox or something else? and just so you know, this is another recipe flagged in my inbox :)

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Thank you! I just use natural light.

brandi — February 9, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Ha, I love the mustache story :) Sounds like Nick’s big beard phase he had a few years ago.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 9, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

I laughed at the facial hair story — I have told my husband that he cannot have a beard, mustache, anything. It is too scratchy!!

This looks delish!

shannon — February 9, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

I love ginger and lime together! I definitely want to make this soon!

vanillasugarblog — February 9, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

ginger & lime is the perfect combo for a pasta dish. love this!

Eliana — February 9, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

If we must eat something other than bacon and cupcakes, then this will do. It looks super delicious.

Elena — February 9, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks fabulous!! I stumbled upon your blog on Pioneer Woman’s Tasty Kitchen, and I’ve been looking through your recipe book and I am loving all of them! I will be trying some out soon. My hubby despises veggies, but your recipes may just sway him the other way.

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Thanks so much Elena!

Gina @ Skinnytaste — February 9, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

This looks fabulous!! I’m not a fan of whole wheat pasta, but I don’t mind it when it’s super thin such as angel hair. And I’m with you, I like a man with a clean face!

lisa — February 9, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

This looks amazing!!

Jess — February 9, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

it looks like summer! i’m always looking for new weeknight pasta ideas. linguine with vegan chorizo and weeknight pasta revisted :)

Maria — February 9, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

This looks out of this world, I need to make it super soon!!

Gaby — February 9, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

solving problems with food is my specialty too!! There’s nothing like the threat of no home cooking to kick a guys butt into gear!! Loving this ginger lime shrimp pasta dish!! Totally making it for my clients this week – they go nuts over anything with ginger!

Elle — February 9, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

Oh my gosh, that totally cracks me up! I like the way you think. And I love this dish!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — February 9, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

This sounds amazing.

And I LOVE that you purposely made things he didnt like until he shaved the mustache. I had a boyfriend way back in the day that grew his hair out long. Like, really long. It was awful. I refused to see him until he cut it, but cutting off the food, that is a WAY better idea.

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Hahaha! The thing is, I don’t mind facial hair/long hair on some people. But it has to work. For him… he just looked like a creeper.

• Leah @ Why Deprive? — February 9th, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

I know EXACTLY what you mean. This guy even had his hair put in corn rows. It didnt work for him – and I could not be seen in public with him like that.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Ginger Lime Shrimp and Noodles | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #60 – Ginger Lime Shrimp and Noodles « Ella Rose Entertaining

3. Pingback: What's for dinner? - Page 51 - CurlTalk