You may have remembered me mentioning that last week I had the most delicious (and heart attack inducing) casserole ever.

Said casserole calls for three sticks of butter. THREE!

But since there are only two of us in this house, I scaled it down a bit. By half. So… you still need one-and-a-half sticks of butter. Just do it. Don’t complain.

Who doesn’t loved mashed potatoes with cheese?

The original recipe calls for farfalle, but I didn’t have any on hand. I ended up preparing some lasagna noodles and cutting them into thirds and fourths then layering them in the dish.

Then you just spread on the mashed potato and cheese mixture, along with some caramelized onions and bake it.

I am not joking when I tell you that it nearly melts in your mouth. It’s almost like a potato and cheese souffle. And it really tastes like pierogis!

Mr. How Sweet is currently obsessed with pierogis (coming off Diet Mt. Dew, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and Greek yogurt obsessions) and just about died when I told him about this. I made it yesterday afternoon and while we had some family over to enjoy it too, Mr. How Sweet single-handedly demolished it last night.

[print_this]

Pierogi Casserole

serves 4-6

8 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into fours

1 medium onion, chopped

8 ounces of cheese, cubed or shredded (Velveeta will work best, second best is hand-grated cheddar)

1/2 pound pasta (farfalle or lasagna noodles)

1 1/2 sticks of butter

Preheat oven to 350.

Peel potatoes and chop into quarters. Set them in a large pot and cover with water, allowing it to come to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender, about 30 minutes. While potatoes are boiling, cook pasta according to directions, and once drained mix with two tablespoons of butter. Set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter and saute chopped onion until soft.

Drain potatoes and mash with one stick of butter and cheese. Make sure no lumps remain. Fold in onions.

Spread out pasta in a large baking dish and spread mashed potato mixture over top. If desired, top with more cheese and onions. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. This is best when served immediately, but still tastes good after being in the fridge for a day or two.

[/print_this]

And yes, I’m sure bacon would be delicious with this. I still have to digest the butter and cheese and pasta. Baby steps people.

106 Responses to “Pierogi Casserole.”

Rebel mel — February 28, 2011 @ 2:56 am

I might have to make this! I entered a cookie bake-off this weekend, and bought four extra pounds of butter.. Also forgetting that I already had a pound in the fridge.. So I have like, sixteen sticks of butter waiting to be baked into something. I’m thinking this paired with croissants will help get rid of a few sticks! ;)

Ellie@fitforthesoul — February 28, 2011 @ 3:18 am

Omgshhhhh I can almost taste it! dahhh haha.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 28, 2011 @ 5:12 am

This looks sooo delicious, but I’m a little scared of all that butter and cheese!

Nam @ The Culinary Chronicles — February 28, 2011 @ 8:42 am

You had me at “3 sticks of butter”

shabunam — February 28, 2011 @ 9:27 am

I recently discovered your blog and i love it , You might already have this award but I still would like to pass it on to you , go here for the details http://yumanddelish.blogspot.com/2011/02/blueberry-pancakes-with-maple-cinnamon.html

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — February 28, 2011 @ 11:34 am

Dear God!! How can that not be good?!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 28, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Pierogi Casserole = my grandma (polish and russian) was the pierogi master! this is something i could have seen her making!

• Lena — March 29th, 2013 @ 11:30 am

I too, come from a Polish & Ukrainian family…since the grandparents are now gone ..this has become our new family tradition at all holidays-it is sooo yummy:)

Kim in MD — February 28, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

I think I have made this confession before…I have never had pierogi! This looks delicious, so that needs to change a.s.a.p.!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — February 28, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

This looks so freaking good, Jessica!

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 28, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

Jessica, this is carb & fat heaven – love it!

Katie@Cozydelicious — March 1, 2011 @ 1:04 am

Oh man, this looks awesome. When my husband’s grandmother makes peirogi she smothers them in buttery onions, so I might add some of those as well. Yum!

Anne Marie — March 1, 2011 @ 1:25 am

This is such a fantastic idea! I can’t wait to make this :) Neither can my Polish Husband.

dani — March 1, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

I grew up on pierogis, my grandma always made them and drowned them in onions and butter. I HAVE to make this. Thank you!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — March 3, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

Um WOW I ve never seen this before. I’m Russian and the hubs is part Polish so we LOVE Pierogis! Thanks for the recipe

Emily — March 4, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

holy hell, this looks amazing.

and might have to be attempted in our house {sans the cheese, butter, and white potatoes, of course}.

Pretty. Good. Food. — March 5, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Well now I’m hungry! Can’t you at least provide scratch and sniff?!!!! :)

Rachel — March 7, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

I just stumbled across your blog last week and have made this casserole and the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie muffins since then.

OMG it’s delicious! Everything turned out perfect! It looks like I’m going to be putting in some more hours at the gym! ;)

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Glad you like it all!

• Peaches — May 16th, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

These might sound like stupid questions but are the lasagne noodles precooked? also, how many cups is 1 1/2 sticks? In Canada we don’t use ‘sticks’ as measures. Can’t wait to try this recipe even if I have to go and unclog my arteries after! :)

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

I used no-boil noodles so they didn’t need to be precooked, but it depends on which kind you buy. And 1 1/2 sticks of butter is 3/4 cup!

Katie@Just Because Katie — March 10, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

This looks delicious!!! Will make it today for my girls ;) Thank you again for helping me get my photo next to the comment… XoXo

Jackie — March 10, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

This looks super delicious! It made me wonder if you have ever had Funeral Potatoes? Sour cream, potatoes, butter….and don’t let people talk you out of putting potato chips on the top. Its heavy and filling, but easy to make and freezes well. Hence, Funeral Potatoes.

Candace — March 11, 2011 @ 6:25 am

I made this last night – the family loved it. They are carrying on a tradition of making homemade pierogis every Christmas and easily confirmed the taste is spot-on! I had too many noodles so I actually did a double layer: noodles, potato mixture, (a little layer of cheese), noodles and topped it with cheese and bacon. It was a hit and only two small servings left for leftovers today. Used cheddar this time so can’t wait to try it again with Velvetta since that’s what they use for the Christmas pierogis. As always, thanks for sharing your inspired creations!

Kristine — March 11, 2011 @ 7:26 am

I made this and it is so good. I added the extra carmelized onions and cheese on top. I am making it again tonight with sauteed mushrooms. Yum! I have so many ideas for variations. Next time I will serve w/ kielbasa and maybe add red peppers. I have to admit I served sour cream on the side w/ my first version.

Laurie — March 25, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Up in Saskatchewan, we call these lazy perogies. We would never dream of using Velveeta, but cheddar and cottage cheese works wonders. Looks good though!

Pam — April 5, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

These look like an awesome “next best thing”…can’t wait to try them and compare to the “real thing!”

Angie — April 10, 2011 @ 3:34 am

I seriously want to make every single one of your recipes. Yum!

Elan — June 25, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

I doubled this and made 1 large casserole and 1 medium casserole. OMG it tastes just like a pierogi! 3 friends and I demolished the medium casserole. I did two layers with shredded cheddar in between the layers and on top, and then we salted, peppered, parmesan cheese and garlic salted to our heart’s content. So amazing! I love your blog even more now. Thank you, thank you, thank you, so much for putting this up. You have 4 new huge fans of your recipes.

• Jessica — June 26th, 2011 @ 8:35 am

Thanks Elan! I am so glad it was a hit!

Adele Forbes — February 8, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

This sounds like one of the best recipes EVER! Can’t wait to serve it to my husband and friends. Thank you so very much for sharing!

Tali Simon @ More Quiche, Please — May 21, 2012 @ 6:20 am

I have a version of your pierogi casserole in the oven right now and can’t wait to taste it. Mine is really more like a pierogi lasagna than a casserole, using a layer of bechamel sauce instead of the traditional tomato sauce.

Next up to bat…real pierogis!

Chris — June 11, 2012 @ 11:28 am

I’ve made this before (not nearly as much butter), with a layer of sauerkraut & mushrooms added before the potatoes. It comes out kind of like a lasagna with the extra layer of pasta…DELISH!

Gayle — September 25, 2012 @ 11:52 am

My mother was Polish and pierogis were a staple in our home. Every week, pierogis and polish sausage. She was a fabulous cook but her meals dripped in fat and butter. She lived til she was 89.

Christina — October 15, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

This is baking in the oven right now. It smells so delish! I’m serving a salad too so I don’t feel as guilty about all the wonderful butter, cheese and carbs. :) The salad makes it okay, right?

Thanks for a great recipe!

Cindy — December 20, 2012 @ 1:16 am

I actually did make this tonight for dinner. The end result tastes just like Mrs. T’s frozen pierogies you can buy in the freezer section for a lot less money and a lot less work. Maybe my expectations were too high because it does sound and look delicious as most of the comments indicate. However, I am actually someone who made this and was unimpressed. It was boring (but edible-but definitely not delicious enough for the calories.)

laura colosimo — February 24, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

I used Cheddar cheese & it was awesome <3

Grace — February 26, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

I made this casserole over the weekend didn’t bake it till tonite it was excellent .my husband who is Polish and loves pieorgi loved it will definitely make it again

Bob — May 2, 2014 @ 11:21 pm

I add a 8 oz package of cream cheese with the potatoes.Saute the onions and put them on top only.And use less butter.

Linda — May 26, 2014 @ 7:09 am

Thoughts on using no bake lasagna noodles?

1. Pingback: Pierogi Casserole (VIDEO) « The Smart Cookie Cook

2. Pingback: Cheesy pierogi lasagna « More Quiche, Please

3. Pingback: Fall Food | Stuck In The North

4. Pingback: Thanksgiving thread... Plans? Recipes? Rants?

5. Pingback: Pierogi Casserole (VIDEO) | The Smart Cookie Cook

6. Pingback: Weekly menu 4.21.2013: Bánh xèo, | hungrykatie + damn good eating, cooking and living

7. Pingback: sweet betweens » Loaded Pierogi Casserole

8. Pingback: Butternut Squash Skillet Lasagna | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Sinfully Good: Pierogi Casserole - The Artful Gourmet | The Artful Gourmet

10. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn