Suspense.

A few days ago, Mr. How Sweet was talking about cooking. Like… actually cooking a recipe himself! Without my harassment or nagging.

I got him hooked on the Food Network a few years ago, and he has come to watch it even when I’m not around. I think he has been watching it so much that it has inspired him to try a recipe on a weeknight.

Is this real life?

Yesterday, he asked me if we had chicken and buttermilk. I told him that no, we did not.

Last night at around 11:00 pm, I opened the fridge. What? Don’t judge me.

I saw this.

A bowl with chicken marinating in buttermilk. I almost hit the floor.

[In case you are wondering, Mr. How Sweet had to go buy more chicken because I attempted a chicken-type stew thing in the crock pot yesterday that came out tasting like cardboard. It was terrible. That would be what the yellow bowl is sitting on. I don’t even know why it’s not currently in the garbage disposal. Ah… you win some, you lose some.]

Turns out, he is making a recipe tonight! Without my help. The wait is killing me. I’ll be sure to report back!

38 Responses to “Suspense.”

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 23, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Can’t wait to hear how it is! Lucky girl.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 23, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

That is AWESOME! I’m hoping my husband takes some of these cues when I head back to a 9-5..err…make that a 730 – 5.

Paige (running around normal) — February 23, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

ha! Mr. How Sweet can be pretty awesome :) Looking forward to seeing what’s up his sleeves!

• Mr. How Sweet It Is — February 23rd, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

You are right, Paige. Mr. How Sweet is pretty awesome.

Torrie @ a place to share... — February 23, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Very exciting!!!!!

Mine loves to cook, and it saves me a lot of stress, on certain days- when I cannot get to it. So, praise him a LOT & no nagging (although I hate that word!)! (so he’ll keep doing it =)

Gen — February 23, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

Can’t wait to find out what the recipe is!!!!

rebecca lustig — February 23, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

you are a very lucky woman!! my next boyfriend needs to be able to cook. it’s mandatory ha

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 23, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

I love it when men cook!

Sweet Bella Roos — February 23, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Can’t wait to hear!! So cute!! My bf loves to make pancakes every Sunday morning, he puts cinnamon in them as his secret ingredient, its the most adorable thing ever.

shannon — February 23, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

So funny, my bf sent me an e-mail earlier telling me he had chicken marinating in buttermilk for our dinner tonight… great minds?

And because I’ve had a frustrating day he said, “I’ll have a bacon buttermilk biscuit warmed up, dripping with butter waiting for you when you get here.” To which I replied, “Make it two”.

Can’t wait to hear about YOUR chicken dinner.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — February 23, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

I don’t know what it’s like to have a man that cooks….sadly mine is more of an “orderer” of take-out :-) Make sure you let us know how your dinner is lucky girl!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 23, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Husbands cooking = best dinners! Mostly because it is a break for us:-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 23, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

The fact that he is cooking, that he is doing it without help, and is keeping you in suspense….WOW!!!

I have waited over a decade for that to happen in my house. Still waiting…..

Jess — February 23, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

i assume he is making you fried chicken? you lucky woman!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — February 23, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Fried chicken ?! Can’t wait to see…

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — February 23, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

Oh wow!! If my husband ever wanted to cook something, I’d have to take his temperature to make sure he was alright!

Katie — February 23, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

Oooh I love it! I can’t wait to see what he does!

Also, your fridge resembles ours – lots of leftover food that we have no intention of eating. Ever.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — February 23, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Can’t wait to see what he comes up with!

Ann — February 23, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

My guess is something fried-chicken related. Can’t wait to hear about it! My husband doesn’t cook much more for me than grilled sandwiches and fried eggs (both delicious!), which might have something to do with my my being super bossy in the kitchen…

MelissaNibbles — February 23, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

Oh girl you’re getting some fried chicken!

AJ — February 23, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

May the force be with you! LOL!

Meaghan — February 23, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

It’s always great not having to cook one night :) I love when my bf cooks, well, most of the time. He isn’t really a recipe follower, more like a ‘let’s throw this together and see what happens’-er. Most of the time its great, the rest of time its…interesting. :P

Naomi — February 23, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

CANNOT WAIT TO SEE!!!!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 23, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Ooooh I can’t wait to find out what he makes. I’m guessing fried chicken.

I love when my silly man cooks. Even if it’s not edible, it’s always entertaining!

Michelle — February 23, 2011 @ 10:40 pm

That is so thoughful. Enjoy yourself and report back soon!

Hannah — February 23, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

Oooh! The Keeper strikes again! :D

Heather — February 23, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

Oh how I wish Mr. Sweet could give my hubby a few lessons in cooking. He does NOT cook at all. When I had surgery a couple weeks ago & didn’t feel like cooking, he morphed into his bachelor days & ate cereal. If I don’t cook, he “cooks” by taking me out! LOL

It’s kinda sad but equally amusing :)

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles — February 24, 2011 @ 12:02 am

Ooooh, I can’t wait to hear about it!!

Maggie Hagan — February 24, 2011 @ 12:20 am

Haha that is so funny- my boyfriend has been talking about fried chicken all week and said he is going to the store tomorrow and making it. He took my mom’s unopened Fry Daddy from her house the other day, and he has big plans for frying every food imaginable. How do you think deep-fried bacon would be?

Cara Craves... — February 24, 2011 @ 12:22 am

That’s exciting!
    It’s a good thing that he keeps you guessing…
    still full of surprises :)

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — February 24, 2011 @ 12:43 am

Yay for husband’s that want to cook and plan ahead! My husband is a GREAT cook, but he always looks up the recipe for what he wants to make AFTER we get back to the store picking up the items for the dish he wanted to make.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 24, 2011 @ 2:51 am

Mr. How Sweet is turning into a cooking fool!!!

Briana @ thetripledish — February 24, 2011 @ 3:44 am

Nights when hubbys cook dinner are the best!

Becca — February 24, 2011 @ 3:53 am

Ooooo, the suspense! If he does the fantastic job I assume I will, can I hire him to come up to Wisconsin and teach my Hasome how to fend for himself while I’m away at my internship job for the summer?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 24, 2011 @ 4:51 am

I am excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to guess that he dips the marinated chicken in some ground up steak, and then fries it in some bacon fat, and then tops it with a pork chop :-) Oh, and gravy. And on the side … a chicken thigh.

Kacy — February 24, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Hmmm what is he making? I can’t wait to see!

Lauren — February 24, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Awesome! Would he like to give my boyfriend some pointers?

Sherrie — February 24, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

We’ve been married for nearly 27 years now and I can honeslty say that he has NEVER made a meal for me, so consider yourself a very lucky and fortunate girl! Our teenage boys do a bit of cooking themselves and I hope they’ll one day treat their spouses to a nice meal, or even breakfast in bed. Cherish those times when you get a home-cooked meal that you weren’t a part of (and just hope it’s edible!) PS… I see you are a fan of “Sweet Baby Ray’s” too! :)