I love stuffed crust pizza.

Fact.

Is that gross? I feel like I’m the only one on the planet who loves stuffed crust. I love it. I love it in all of it’s greasy, fattening glory. I’ve been wanting to make my own for months now. And when the time actually came, I decided to go outside the box.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I had a ton of fresh basil left over from the stuffed peppers I made, and there was no way I was going to let that million-dollar herb go to waste in the dead of winter. And it just so happened that I had enough goat cheese to stuff an entire pizza crust.

And Mr. How Sweet hates goat cheese.

I might have done this on purpose.

Maybe.

More for me.

Shhhh.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I always thought that making a stuffed crust pizza would be tedious and complicated, but the truth is that it is quite simple. As I was rolling out my pizza dough, I rolled it just a bit larger than my planned pizza pan – about two inches or so. You don’t need to do that – just roll it a bit larger than what you’d like so you have some room to fold the edges over. Then around the edge of the crust, I added the goat cheese mixture. This is where it gets fun… you can add as much as you want! Different cheeses, different flavors, different mix-ins. The possibilities are endless.

Then just fold over the crust, add your toppings and bake it!

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I topped my pizza with lots of freshly chopped tomatoes, because those are always easier to eat when smothered in fresh mozzarella and garlic.

You can add whatever you would like to your pizza!

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

But while we’re on the topic of toppings, can I suggest bacon? Best pizza ever.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza

8 ounces goat cheese

1/3 cup freshly chopped basil

dough:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup lukewarm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

In a small bowl, combine goat cheese and basil until mixed. Set aside or allow to sit in the fridge.

Combine flour and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey and oil, mixing with a spoon to form into a ball. Just before it comes together, add in salt and mix. If needed, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing with your hands and knead for about 60 seconds. Lightly oil the bowl and add dough back in. Cover and let rise for 2-3 hours.

After 2-3 hours, remove from bowl and punch down. Roll back into ball and let sit for 30 minutes.

Lay on a lightly floured surface and roll very thin. Along the outer edge (about 1 1/2 inches from the outside) place goat cheese around the entire outside. Fold dough over top and press down to seal the top to the bottom. Top with desired toppings and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

[/print_this]

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Now the wheels are turning about a bacon stuffed crust. That may be over the top… even for me.

148 Responses to “Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza.”

Julie — March 15, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Looks delicious!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 15, 2011 @ 7:07 am

In my best Janice voice:
    “Oh my gawwwwwdddd!”
    Love this.
    I had my students line up by their favorite pizza types yesterday.
    None of them lined up for stuff crust pizza. I was saddened.
    Then I realized they are only 9. They’ll learn. ;)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) — March 15, 2011 @ 7:10 am

oh my goodness- that looks fabulous! basil and goat cheese might be my two favorite foods (or food and herb) in the world!!

And add that to pizza? Consider this bookmarked!

Laura @ Meet Virginia — March 15, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I’m pretty sure that I must make this TONIGHT! I LOVE stuffed crust, it isn’t gross at all! ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 15, 2011 @ 7:16 am

I love stuffed pizza crust too. When I was little, I would eat it first like on the commercials.

Erica — March 15, 2011 @ 7:17 am

I only really like the crust on the pizza…stuffed or otherwise :) Put some goat cheese in there and I’m even more sold. What a great meal

Mika — March 15, 2011 @ 7:19 am

It is the first time I read about a pizza with stuffed crust…nice idea

Jane B — March 15, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Had that been me making the pizza…the basil and goat cheese would never have made the crust. I would have been eating the stuff by the spoonful. LOVE goat cheese.
    Having said that, this pizza looks so good! Will have to try it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 15, 2011 @ 7:19 am

the fact that you STUFFED the crust by hand gives you MAJOR brownie points :)

Melissa — March 15, 2011 @ 7:29 am

I think Pizza Hut came out with stuffed crust when I was about 10? Life changing. My favorite pizza toppings are bacon, feta, and tomato . . . Your pizza looks eerily similar. Drool.

Krista (kristastes) — March 15, 2011 @ 7:30 am

UMMM looks awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever actually had a stuffed crust pizza, but now I want one. stat.

Lauren — March 15, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Oh my gosh this looks amazing! I am new to your blog and I am loving it! I cooked the carmelized chicken and mushrooms this weekend and it. was. amazing! I posted about your recipe, and linked back to you, I hope that’s ok! Thank you so much for sharing all of your fabulous recipes!

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:27 am

So glad you liked it!

Imwaytoobusy — March 15, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Stuffed pizza may be one of the best indulgences…ever! Goat cheese make an amazing stuffed crust. Looks fab ;)

Corinna @ The Fire Chiefs Wife — March 15, 2011 @ 7:41 am

That looks wonderful, you make it look so easy!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 15, 2011 @ 7:46 am

I haven’t thought about stuffed crust in ages! Reminds me of those crazy Pizza Hut commercials but this looks a zillion times better. Great idea!

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — March 15, 2011 @ 7:47 am

ORGASMIC!

Sheena — March 15, 2011 @ 7:48 am

Oh, that crust looks amazing! I never realised how simple making a stuffed crust was – I kinda feel silly now. Goats and cheese and basil sounds heavenly together, and I’m all for the occasional greasy, fatty meal :)

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I thought it was much more complicated too!

Rachel — March 15, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Oh. my. God. I love stuffed crust pizza SO MUCH! Genius.

Christina — March 15, 2011 @ 7:50 am

My husband would die. He is a goat cheese lover. And I love stuffed crust! How can you not? :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — March 15, 2011 @ 7:55 am

We had pizza last night. The boys had bacon on theirs, which I’m pretty sure you would approve of. I put cheese in the crust for them, but they have asked for stuffed crust before. I guess I should give it a go. This makes me miss goat cheese. What an incredible combination!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — March 15, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Such a great idea! I am a sucker for stuffed crust ;)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — March 15, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Oh heavens–this looks amazing!

Heather — March 15, 2011 @ 8:11 am

i adore stuffed crust, and i’m making this this weekend. holy. yum.

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — March 15, 2011 @ 8:13 am

My husband would go crazy for this! We are having friends over for dinner later this month, I’m definitely going to make stuffed crust pizza now!

Hannah — March 15, 2011 @ 8:15 am

The only stuffed crust pizza I’ve had came from Dominos. I reckon yours is better.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — March 15, 2011 @ 8:18 am

I haven’t had stuffed crust in years! This looks way better than any I’ve tried! ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 15, 2011 @ 8:24 am

i love you

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 15, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Once again, you had me salivating at the title of this post! LOVE the photos and it sounds delicious! I haven’t had stuffed crust pizza in SO long and the last time was probably from Pizza Hut, which I’m sure doesn’t even compare to yours!

kate@ahealthypassion — March 15, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I havent had stuffed crust pizza since I was little but this look so amazing!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — March 15, 2011 @ 8:32 am

I’ve also been wanting to make stuffed crust pizza for a while, but goat cheese never entered into the realm of cheese possibilities. Fantastic idea! I love how thin crust pizza, so I’m definitely going to save this dough recipe.

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss — March 15, 2011 @ 8:52 am

you’re my heeeeero!

Jason @ Shutter & Saute — March 15, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Stuffed crust is something I have always wanted to try making… I just want to dig into the bowl of goat cheese filling!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — March 15, 2011 @ 9:02 am

I am in love with stuffed crust pizza. This looks absolutely amazing!

Liz — March 15, 2011 @ 9:12 am

oh HEAVEN!!!!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — March 15, 2011 @ 9:13 am

These photos are gorgeous. And bravo for getting this to work on the first try!!

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Thank you!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 15, 2011 @ 9:14 am

OH man I haven’t had stuffed crust pizza since I was little! Pizza Hut’s stuffed crust was the best! This looks so much better :).

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 15, 2011 @ 9:15 am

Remember all of those Pizza Hut commercials when the kids would eat their pizza crust first? I’d totally do that with this.

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Sweet Bella Roos — March 15, 2011 @ 9:18 am

You’re not alone, I love me some stuffed crust!

Jenny — March 15, 2011 @ 9:23 am

This looks GREAT! I never would have thought to make a stuffed crust, but that looks amazing! I hope you enjoyed it:)

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Oh I did. :)

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — March 15, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Yummm! I love stuffed crust pizza! I’ve only had it with mozzarella though, and would like to try your version.

Robyn {Planet Byn} — March 15, 2011 @ 9:31 am

where are you finding edible basil this time of year? i can’t find any in my various grocery stores.

just imagine how delicious this pizza will be in the summertime with fresh, ripe, red tomatoes and leafy green basil!!! *swoon*

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:23 am

All of my grocery stores have basil! It just costs an arm and leg.

Kelly — March 15, 2011 @ 9:32 am

This. Looks. Amazing.

Caitlin — March 15, 2011 @ 9:33 am

You are most certainly not the only person who likes stuffed crust pizza. That stuff is straight outta heaven. This looks amazing. I love basil and goat cheese and flaky crust so you’ve pretty much just made my whole day with this one!

Naomi — March 15, 2011 @ 9:33 am

ok I looked…even though I promised myself I didnt want to because I think I just drooled. The ONE thing abotu this damn comp prep that I want to eat every single day is cheese and doughy bread. I have never been a ‘pizza’ type person but a friend of mine who competed told me taht I am going to start craving things I never really have or thought I would ever have before—yep thats pizza…hence why for my cheat the other week I cooked up a whole wheat pizza!!! gosh I want that crust…

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:23 am

A few more weeks!

rebecca lustig — March 15, 2011 @ 9:39 am

fresh tomatoes DEFINITELY make or break a pizza for me. Much better than jarred marinara sauce.

also, i havent had stuffed crust since i was a kid! LOVE it

DessertForTwo — March 15, 2011 @ 9:41 am

How yummy! And your photos are gorgeous!

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Thank you!

brandi — March 15, 2011 @ 9:46 am

I love stuffed crust pizza! And I don’t think bacon stuffed crust would be too outrageous :)

PS: We need a sweet roll + pizza party sometime. I’ll bring the orange rolls if you make your cake batter ones!

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I’m in!

• brandi — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:29 am

okay – sounds like a plan :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 15, 2011 @ 9:48 am

I love stuffed crust pizza as well…but yours looks waayyy better than Pizza Hut’s! Looks delicious!

Shanna, Like Banana — March 15, 2011 @ 9:54 am

I seriously want this. Now. Who cares if it is 753am. I want!

Charlottesville Sybarite — March 15, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Goat cheese stuffed crust, I would have never thought of that one, great idea! I’ve just begun doing some baked ideas. Is “whole wheat four” the same as “whole wheat pastry flour”?

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Nope. Regular whole wheat flour is much more gritty and dry.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Are Your Children Picky Eaters? | bfree-toddler

2. Pingback: A Healthy Slice of Life » Blog Archive » Sleep-less… Eat More?

3. Pingback: Toxic Zombie Ashes

4. Pingback: Tomato-Pesto Pizza with Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust | The Spiffy Cookie

5. Pingback: Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza « i FinD Recipes Online