I love stuffed crust pizza.

Fact.

Is that gross? I feel like I’m the only one on the planet who loves stuffed crust. I love it. I love it in all of it’s greasy, fattening glory. I’ve been wanting to make my own for months now. And when the time actually came, I decided to go outside the box.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I had a ton of fresh basil left over from the stuffed peppers I made, and there was no way I was going to let that million-dollar herb go to waste in the dead of winter. And it just so happened that I had enough goat cheese to stuff an entire pizza crust.

And Mr. How Sweet hates goat cheese.

I might have done this on purpose.

Maybe.

More for me.

Shhhh.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I always thought that making a stuffed crust pizza would be tedious and complicated, but the truth is that it is quite simple. As I was rolling out my pizza dough, I rolled it just a bit larger than my planned pizza pan – about two inches or so. You don’t need to do that – just roll it a bit larger than what you’d like so you have some room to fold the edges over. Then around the edge of the crust, I added the goat cheese mixture. This is where it gets fun… you can add as much as you want! Different cheeses, different flavors, different mix-ins. The possibilities are endless.

Then just fold over the crust, add your toppings and bake it!

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I topped my pizza with lots of freshly chopped tomatoes, because those are always easier to eat when smothered in fresh mozzarella and garlic.

You can add whatever you would like to your pizza!

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

But while we’re on the topic of toppings, can I suggest bacon? Best pizza ever.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza

8 ounces goat cheese

1/3 cup freshly chopped basil

dough:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup lukewarm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

In a small bowl, combine goat cheese and basil until mixed. Set aside or allow to sit in the fridge.

Combine flour and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey and oil, mixing with a spoon to form into a ball. Just before it comes together, add in salt and mix. If needed, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing with your hands and knead for about 60 seconds. Lightly oil the bowl and add dough back in. Cover and let rise for 2-3 hours.

After 2-3 hours, remove from bowl and punch down. Roll back into ball and let sit for 30 minutes.

Lay on a lightly floured surface and roll very thin. Along the outer edge (about 1 1/2 inches from the outside) place goat cheese around the entire outside. Fold dough over top and press down to seal the top to the bottom. Top with desired toppings and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

[/print_this]

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Now the wheels are turning about a bacon stuffed crust. That may be over the top… even for me.

148 Responses to “Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza.”

Peggy — March 15, 2011 @ 9:55 am

This sounds absolutely fantastic! I must say, I wasn’t a fan of stuffed crust pizza until I saw this post! Now I just HAVE to try this!

Angela @ Mind Over Batter — March 15, 2011 @ 10:12 am

You had me at “stuffed crust”… Then you really had me at “bacon stuffed”. This looks sinfully delicious!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — March 15, 2011 @ 10:14 am

That doesn’t look hard at all. I would have thought it would have been more complicated. Great recipe!

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I know! So much easier than I thought.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 15, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Lol…you’re not the only one– Ryan is reading over my shoulder, and he just said, “Mmmmmm…stuffed crust pizza!!! That’s a good idea.”

So, I guess we’ll be making this at some point. :-)

my little celebration — March 15, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Fun! My husband and I really like stuffed crust, I just never thought to make it at home :D.

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:21 am

It is really easy!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — March 15, 2011 @ 10:32 am

omg, this is amazing….stuffed crust pizza has to be one of my favorite things….ever.

Briana — March 15, 2011 @ 10:44 am

We have homemade pizza once a week! I cannot wait to try this!!! (Your crust turned out so beautifully! I am going to follow your directions to a T!) I have a Greek pizza planned, so I’ll stuff the crust with a feta, Mozzarella and olives! Thanks for sharing!!

Gen — March 15, 2011 @ 10:54 am

I need to make this soon!

Amanda (Eating Up) — March 15, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I love stuffed pizza too! And deep dish. What can I say? I live in Chicago.

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — March 15, 2011 @ 11:28 am

ooo! I’ve never attempted the stuffed crust! I think there is a challenge in my horizon. Challenge accepted!

Kristen — March 15, 2011 @ 11:30 am

what a great idea!! think of all the possibilities that you could put in the crust!!!

Moni'sMeals — March 15, 2011 @ 11:38 am

this is a fabulous recipe and you are even more fabulous for stuffing the crust!
    It looks so good. Is it lunch yet?!

Tracey — March 15, 2011 @ 11:43 am

You’re definitely not alone – I love stuffed crust! I’ve never made it myself but you’ve inspired me :) Your twist is really fun and there are SO many other possibilities too.

Kim in MD — March 15, 2011 @ 11:44 am

OMG! This looks like the most amazing pizza EVER! I am making this for sure, and I am putting crispy bacon on it! ;-) Oh- and I think you should make a bacon stuffed crust pizza a.s.a.p.!

Christine — March 15, 2011 @ 11:53 am

I absolutely love your creations. I’ve been “lurking” for a while, but I just had to tell you that you are an amazing cook and recipe developer! Thanks for all you do.

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Thank you so much!

janetha @ meals and moves — March 15, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

you’re a genius.

Kacy — March 15, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I’m totally about some stuffed crust and you just took it to the exact place I want to be. I. WANT.

Jess — March 15, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

i’m usually very against the cheese-filled pizza crust, but changing it up to goat cheese has left me intrigued…things that you make go hmmmm.

Tracy — March 15, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I love stuffed crust too, although I haven’t had it in years. It’s gotta be healthier if you make it at home, though! At least that’s what I’ll keep telling myself. ;-)

Clarissa @ SoberandtheCity — March 15, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Um, this is an amazing idea!!

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen — March 15, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

We always make our own pizzas at home, but I’d never honestly thought of stuffing the crust :D
    How silly of me!

Adam — March 15, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Where I’m not the biggest fan of stuffed crust, there is never (ever) anything wrong with trying to fit more cheese on or in a pizza :).
    Question though: I noticed your dough calls for pastry flour (or AP). Old world mentality is usually that the more gluten the better the crust, so I typically use bread flour. Have you tried this? How does it compare?

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Yep, I have made many different pizza crusts. If you look under my recipe tab there are a few different recipes. I also have made Ina Garten’s with much success too. I’ve used all purpose, bread, whole wheat, whole wheat pastry – they all turn out well. I rarely include bread flour in my recipes because the majority of readers do not have that on hand. I include whole wheat pastry in case they want a whole wheat option (as I like that much more than regular whole wheat. )

Julie @SavvyEats — March 15, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

YUM. I now want to do mozzarella + basil in the crust, with mozz, basil and tomatoes on tops… YUM

Caitlin N. — March 15, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Stuffed Crust is the best kind. Honestly, I’d be happy if the whole pizza was stuff with cheese…and then had cheese on top of it.

But maybe that’s just me…?

(we made pizza this weekend too! http://musicalnines.blogspot.com)

-C

Aimee Shugarman — March 15, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Aside from bacon (the obvious choice); goat cheese makes everything better!

Anne @ Baking Me — March 15, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Oh I love the idea of stuffed crust pizza! Pizza is my favorite food, I can’t believe I have never tried making it with stuffed crust, I must give this a try :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 15, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

I love stuffed crust! I never thought to try making my own…I will now!

Cynthia — March 15, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

This looks so good! I just discovered goat cheese and I am addicted. I don’t normally go for stuffed crust, but I will if it has goat cheese in it. :)

Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill — March 15, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog but oh my goodness! I have ALWAYS loved stuffed crust pizza and that looks absolutely phenomenal! That will definitely be put on my “to make” list!

maria — March 15, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

I was planning on making pizza on Friday so thanks so much for this! This looks so so good!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — March 15, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

I’ve never had a goat cheese stuffed pizza but now I want to!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 15, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Oh how delightful! The dough and crust look sooo greatt~like, perfect in every way. Oh jess! You’ve gotta try the Korean style pizza! Granted, it’s not as good as o.g. Italian, well it’s good in its own way–but Korean restaurants make fancy ones with Bulgogi (krn traditional marinated beef) and stuff their crusts with sweet potato 0_o” look at the pics if you want hahaa….http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/335225/restaurant/Koreatown/Mr-Pizza-Factory-LA (i apologize in advance) :P

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Oh yum! I would LOVE that!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 15, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Yum! This is so much better than stuffing the crust with a piece of string cheese :)
    You gotta do the bacon thing, you know you want to asap!

Emily — March 15, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

This is awesome!! I, too, thought I was the only one who LOVED stuffed crust pizza! I haven’t had it in years, but I am definitely inspired now. Thank you so much! xoxo

katelyn — March 15, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

omg. bacon stuffed crust. going to the grocery store now! I love bacon.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — March 15, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

OH YUM!!!!!!!!!!! I think I would like stuffed crust if I could have dairy!! :) I think this is a brilliant idea!! Kudos to you!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries — March 15, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Who DOESN’T love stuffed-crust pizza?!

Lauren — March 15, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

I’ve been waiting for this to be posted! You didn’t say Mr. How Sweet doesn’t like goat cheese! Well…more for you. Humph!
    Can’t WAIT to try this!!!

Blond Duck — March 15, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

I’ll split the bacon stuffed crust with you.

Alexa — March 15, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

Wow. This looks so good. Bacon would be amazing!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 15, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

OMG the stuffed crust looks to die for!!!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — March 15, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

This looks amaaaaazing. I love goat cheese. Have you tried tricking Mr. How Sweet into eating it? I managed to get my boyfriend to eat (and like!) baked brie in puff pastry by telling him that it was just like a giant, round mozzarella stick. I think men naturally have an aversion to “weird” cheeses unless you trick them! :)

Michelle @ HER — March 15, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

This looks amazing! I could eat pizza everyday, especially with the crust stuffed with goat cheese. Thanks for the recipe!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife — March 15, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

oh my!!! that is amazing!! I love this recipe already :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 15, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

What a beautiful thing, like a mini-calzone all around your pizza!

Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous — March 15, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Honey! I think I may need to try this crust, mine is a little blah.

Katrina — March 15, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

You are not alone. I absolutely love stuffed crust!

Cara — March 15, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

I’ve never had stuffed crust pizza but I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t like THIS stuffed crust pizza! It looks amazing!

WenDee Riffe — March 15, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Oh—WOW!!!! AWESOMENESSSS!!!! I want this and will try it on Friday nite pizza nite!!!! Lol!!!! Thanks~~~once again!!!!!

Toni — March 15, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

This is a keeper for sure! Love pizza, love making pizza and more importantly love eating pizza! YUM!