Last week I bought blueberries. They were pretty.

This week I found them dying in my fridge. Nothing new there. No harm was really done – just a few wrinkles.

I wanted to make some sort of granola bar, but with fresh blueberries. I envisioned the berries “popping” like they so often do in pancakes and muffins. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?

I thought so too.

So into the bowl went whole wheat flour and oats and cinnamon and brown sugar. All healthy. Especially the brown sugar… remember, since it’s brown? I was left with a delicious, cinnamon scented crumbly bar. A very healthy one too, if you just pretend to skim over that photo above pouring a bowl full of butter into the mix. Details.

As you can see, the blueberries popped just like I hoped they would. I was sold on my first bite – it actually tasted like blueberry crumble and blueberry cobbler and blueberry muffins and everything sinfully blueberry flavored. They were so good! I almost ate the entire first row before I photographed them.

While they are delicious warm, they don’t want to stay together at that temperature. If you’d like to eat them as bars, I’d recommend waiting for them to cool completely before cutting. It is totally worth it. The bars get a bit crunchy and taste just like… dare I say it? Blueberry cinnamon streusel. Or heaven. Whichever you prefer to call it.

But if you can’t wait for them to cool, I would highly suggest crumbling the mix right into some yogurt. Or let’s be honest – some ice cream. Because I would definitely choose ice cream over yogurt. Warm, crumbly blueberry bars over cold, creamy vanilla bean ice cream? I need nothing else in life.

Blueberry Crumble Bars

makes about 12 bars

1 1/2 cup rolled oats

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup butter + 2 tablespoons

1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined. Melt the 1/2 cup of butter and add it, along with the vanilla, to the oat mixture. Stir until moistened. This may take a minute or two! Fold in the blueberries – it’s okay if they pop a little bit.

Butter and flour an 8×8 baking pan. Press batter into the pan. Melt remaining butter and drizzle it over the bars. Bake for 20 minutes, the let cool completely – this can take up to 45 minutes! Cut and serve. Can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container.

We only have a few left, and someone needs to pry these from my grubby little paws. They are that good.

160 Responses to “Blueberry Oat Crumble Bars.”

Heidi — March 30, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Wow those look good. And I just happen to be married to a blueberry fiend. I might just have to try these with frozen berries because I don’t know if I can wait for fresh :D

Karly — March 30, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Those look amazing! I’ve been eyeing the blueberries myself…think I’ll have to pick some up after seeing this!

Naomi — March 30, 2011 @ 11:54 am

OH MY! those look amazing. the butter pour is my favorite shot!

did you read my post today?…its a good one :)

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

Love it!!

Natalia - a side of simple — March 30, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

These scream summer nights on the back porch to me. And then of course morning breakfast (that is, if there are any leftovers!)

Carol — March 30, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

OMG! I love blueberry streusal muffins especially the ones from Duncan Hines-heaven-. The idea of a “healthy” bar sounds incredible. I just made some adorable cookies on my blog(xbox controllers!)

Caelyn — March 30, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

tastes like blueberry cinnamon streusel? yes. need.

Allie {Cook Read Run} — March 30, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Your pictures are so good. I want to eat my computer!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Thanks Allie!

Kristi @ KristiAteIt — March 30, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

This is perfect! I always buy a little container of blueberries with pancakes on the mind, since I don’t like to eat them by themselves. Now I have something else I can make with them too! Yummmm

Marina — March 30, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

My stomach is rumbling, and looking at this pictures isn’t really helping :))

Sues — March 30, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

I loveee crumbles but have never made a blueberry one before. And I love the idea of making them into bars. Delicious!! :)

The Manly Housewife — March 30, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Ok these look great and simple to make. Like an above comment said I’m going to try frozen blueberries (that’s what I have). I’m going to have to try some other combinations as well.

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Let me know how they turn out!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss — March 30, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

okay, bear with me, but… stupid question. what’s the difference between whole wheat pastry flower and regular whole wheat flower? will the regular stuff still work in this recipe? cause I waaaant it! :)

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

The whole wheat pastry flour has more starch and less gluten than regular whole wheat – it may give a baked good less structure, but is MUCH more tender – almost as if you were using all-purpose flour! I do not recommend regular whole wheat at all, it will probably yield a dry and gritty bar. I’d only use WW pastry or all-purpose!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — March 30, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

Gosh those look beautiful and delicious – can’t wait to try!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 30, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

What a delicious snack or breakfast! These look great, Jessica. Thanks for sharing yet another easy and mouthwatering recipe. :)

Jenna — March 30, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

I have been like a kid in the candy store for the past few weeks, seeing the blueberries starting to pop up in grocery stores all over town. I’m so excited for spring and summer produce! Especially when incorporated into a baked good… these look divine!

what katie's baking — March 30, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

i love blueberries!
    and oats
    and crumbles
    this = perfect breakfast! pretty healthy, too!
    i’ve got some old blueberries in my fridge, too…. and strawberries… do you think the combination of the two would be good?

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

I think it would be fabulous!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — March 30, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Anything with blueberries in it I need a healthy dose of. i don’t think I could wait for them to cool, they look so good!

kimz — March 30, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Do you think using regular AP Flour would be ok? I dont typically have Pastry Flour (be it white or whole wheat) on hand.

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

Yes! All-purpose will work great, maybe even better.

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 30, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

crumble? bar? blueberries? all in the same phrase! wow this looks amazing Jessica! it’s pretty new to me thinking about baking bars with fresh fruit still. I guess it works perfectly :)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — March 30, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

This is on my must-make list. I have blueberries just begging to be used in this recipe hanging out in my freezer. ♥- K

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 30, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

These look yummy… I am craving some blueberries now!

Laura — March 30, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I’m about to leave for a business trip, and I wasnt sure what I was going to do with the pint of wilting blueberries in the fridge…and voila! i just put a batch of these in the oven a few minutes ago…can’t wait to taste them. that 45 minute cooling time is going to be tough…

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

Let me know how they turn out!!

• Laura — March 30th, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

update: they are INCREDIBLE!!!!!!! i was worried they wouldnt turn out because the batter didnt seem very wet to me (even though i used the right amount of butter) but they were perfect. you are not kidding–this recipe is soooo easy but has big results. i will be making these over and over again :) thanks for another incredible recipe!

Kristin — March 30, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

Such a spring-y recipe!!! Looks delicious :)

Allison — March 30, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Oh my. These look heavenly! I love the idea of using it as a crumbly topping for ice cream.

Alexa @ Simple Eats — March 30, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Yum! Great time for these…blueberries seem perfectly ripe and juicy right now!

Amelia — March 30, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

Those look delicious! I love blueberries, especially when I can pick my very own in Charleston in June. I always walk away from the patch feeling very full. ;)

I thought of you last night as I made my dinner. It involved bacon. Enough said.

Liz — March 30, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

Mmmmm…these look delicious! I, too, have some blueberries that need using :)

Sharlene — March 30, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

Served warm with ice cream for dessert and then cut up cold for breakfast/snacktime. Sounds perfect!

egb — March 30, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

These look yummy and not too hard! Great pics.

Natalia - a side of simple — March 30, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

PS. I thought you should know about this…

Krissyp — March 30, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

Cute post Jessica, I would have gone for the icecream too! So happy you didn’t toss out the blueberries over a few wrinkles, they made a beautiful treat. I totally overlooked the butter, at least these contain oats and fresh fruit, no preservative or chemicals or foil wrappers is healthy in my book. Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to give them a try with some farm fresh vanilla icecream ;)

torviewtoronto — March 30, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

healthy delicious to snack on colourful bars

Simply Life — March 30, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

oh wow, these look perfect!

Susi's Kochen und Backen — March 30, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I so know what I’m making as soon as I can get my hands on some fresh blueberries this year. These crumble bars would be spectacular in my Greek Yogurt. YUM!

Katie@Cozydelicious — March 30, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

These look great! So fresh and full of hearty healthy stuff. I love it!

Brittany — March 30, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

This recipe looks delicious Jessica – per the usual!! :)

Joy — March 30, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

The bars looks great. I love this recipe.

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — March 31, 2011 @ 12:00 am

This recipe makes me want to run out and buy some blueberries right now! Yummy! :)

Lauren — March 31, 2011 @ 12:25 am

Oh my goodness these look heavenly. I literally drool every time I read your posts… Ridiculous.

Cindy — March 31, 2011 @ 12:31 am

So that’s why this was made,
    Learned something today!

Marla — March 31, 2011 @ 7:37 am

Love these blueberry bars!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 31, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Now this is a beautiful way to get your oats and fruit in the morning!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 31, 2011 @ 9:06 am

These bars look scrumptious! Definitely my kind of dessert (or breakfast!) :)

Amanda — March 31, 2011 @ 9:15 am

What a divine recipe girl! I have missed so many of your recent posts… but it was sure fun hanging out all morning and reading everything you have been up to. I just adore your style and taste! (and humor… you crack me up!)

Blessings-
    Amanda

• Jessica — March 31st, 2011 @ 10:24 am

You have an excellent reason to miss posts! :)

Tracy — March 31, 2011 @ 10:13 am

They sound like heaven to me!!

thehealthyapron — March 31, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

These would be dangerous for me to make! I would want to eat them all!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) — March 31, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

This looks just wonderful. I make a blueberry crisp that has similar ingredients but of course a whole different texture. This will be great for summer (if it ever comes to New Jersey) when we have more local blueberries than we know what to do with! Thank you….

Maranda — March 31, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

I was thinking ice cream!!! I was very sad to find you tweeting this recipe just hours after I used up my blueberries making muffins. I guess I’ll have to get more blueberries…or give The Hubble a few more days to eat the blackberries he bought then just use those. Hmmmm….

briarrose — March 31, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

Beautiful bars. Excellent use of blueberries.

Firefly — March 31, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Oh they look so good I need them now!!! This is an excellent excuse to go and get blueberries now :) And with ice cream… Did you have to describe the hot bars on cold creamy ice cream LOL