This recipe has been a loooong time coming.

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I

Like, it seems as if it has taken me forever to perfect it.

Note the dramatic-ness. Mr. How Sweet says I’m too dramatic. I can’t not share my dramaticness with you.
I’ve been attempting to make a red velvet brownie from scratch for months. It is quite the feat since red velvet isn’t technically “just chocolate” and isn’t just a chocolate cookie, cake or cupcake dyed red. True red velvet connoisseurs know that red velvet treats have just the slightest hint of cocoa. That’s what I finally mastered – a chewy, dense brownie with a hint of chocolate!

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I

I adapted my oooey, gooey brownie recipe (also used for brownie cupcakes) for red velvet success – after about 30 failed attempts. And I added chocolate chips because, well… I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t add additional chocolate and calories.
Or top it off with even more chocolate.

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I

That would be white chocolate buttercream.

That would be my livelihood.

That would be my soul in bowl.
Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I

That would also be a surefire way to gain ten pounds.
You know how you guys always ask me what happens to my baked goods? Well, I’ll tell you what happened on Saturday. My brother, his girlfriend, and my cousin came over Saturday afternoon just as I was finishing up some baking. Which meant that within minutes, I plopped down two pans of chocolate chip cookie cinnamon rolls, a 9 x 13 baking dish full of pierogi casserole, and this big square of red velvet brownies… that were still warm. Can you spell GLUTTON FEST?

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I

Mr. How Sweet came home, and in true Mr. How Sweet fashion decided he was on a plain chicken, egg whites, and diet Coke diet. After about six hours of nagging, I convinced him to try a red velvet brownie, then I watched him promptly hit the floor in ecstasy. I’m such a good influence.
But I ended up giving the rest to my brother to take home the next day, because red velvet brownies aren’t exactly on the plain chicken and egg whites and diet Coke diet. Right?

Wrong. Mr. How Sweet had a mini tantrum that I gave said brownies away. That man gives me more mixed signals now than he did when we first met and he talked with his hands, wore only Dolce & Gabbana and knew more about fashion than I did.
He asked me to make the brownies again this weekend, so guess what I’m doing?

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I

Red Velvet Brownies

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

2 tablespoons red food coloring

2/3 cups chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter and flour an 8 x 8 cake pan.

In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, red food coloring, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to create a paste.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then add remaining teaspoon of vanilla. With the mixer on medium speed, add in cocoa powder mixture. Beat until batter is completely red. (If at this time your batter is NOT red, you can add a little more food coloring if desired. Color will depend on brand.) Add flour and salt, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spread in the 8 x 8 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
White Chocolate Frosting

1 stick of butter, at room temperature

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 ounces white chocolate, melted (I used Lindt)

1-2 tablespoons milk (or more if needed)

Cream butter in an electric mixer until fluffy, then add vanilla. Slowly add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time with the mixer on low speed. Add in melted white chocolate and beat until incorporated. To reach desired consistency, add in milk 1 teaspoon at a time with mixer on low speed. If frosting becomes too liquidy, simple add additional sugar.

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I

Is it gluttony week around here or something? Sure seems like it.

318 Responses to “Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting.”

Cookin' Cowgirl — October 19, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Hey there! I made these and linked back to you! These are SO yummy! Thanks for the recipe! Here they are:

Shannon — October 23, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

I just made these and though they are not out of the oven yet, I’m going to go ahead and say they are amazing. Afterall, the batter was yummy, and if it’s good going in – it should be good coming out. I just have to say that this buttercream is absolutely to die for. I’ve made a ton of frostings in my day and it NEVER dawned on me to add white chocoalte. It is unbelievable, and goes quite well with a glass of Chardonnay.
    Thank you so much!

Amy — November 3, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

Hi! I was just wondering…
    does it matter what kind of sugar you use?

• Jessica — November 3rd, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

Do you mean between granulated white and brown? I use white but brown would probably work if needed.

• Linda — July 28th, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I think you’d better use the 10X POWDERED sugar

Alex — November 23, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

These are in the oven right now, and I’ve had a few problems. Firstly, my frosting came out waaaayyyy too sweet. I mean, way too sweet for normal people, and perfect for me… so I’m not sure if that’s how they’re supposed to be? Also, I got the same film that everyone is talking about, and I also had to bake them for much longer than 30 minutes. My oven tends to always need extra time but this is almost double the time. Hopefully they’ll be done soon! Also, I had some sort of concentrated food coloring, so I ended up mixing red and blue and got …. rlue. Cuz it’s definitely not purple. But hopefully it’ll taste just fine. :)

Also, I can barely catch a hint of white chocolate in my frosting. I used baker’s white chocolate, maybe that’s why?

Don’t take all my rambling as complaints because I love me some sugar in any form and your recipes are to die for. <3

Alex — November 24, 2011 @ 12:12 am

Omg. Please ignore everything I just posted. The frosting + the brownie = TO DIE FOR. You are a baking genius!

• Colleen — September 11th, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

THIS cracked me up. The first post had me ready to move on to different recpe; the second had me coming back.

Devan — November 27, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

Sadly, I found the brownies to be just okay. Maybe I did something wrong? I didn’t add the chocolate chips but maybe I should have. Maybe I was just expecting a little bit of a tang from buttermilk/vinegar but this recipe didn’t have any in it? I don’t know. I’m definitely going to give them one more try. I did however, LOVE LOVE LOVE the icing recipe.

Brady — December 4, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I made this yesterday. Sorta. I did not have enough red food coloring, so they were just chocolate, and I didn’t have the right pan, so I used a cupcake pan. On top of all that, I made no frosting. They were still amazing!!!!!! You know the brownie bites you buy at Sam’s? The were like that, only waaay better. I recommend trying it.

Steph — February 7, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Wow…I need to make these! I am actually wondering if you could answer a question. I am looking for a dar chocolate buttercream frosting. I’m thinking that I could add cocoa to your vanilla buttercream, or change out the white chocolate in this recipe with dark chocolate? Do you have any thoughts?

Btw…I made the homemade snickers. They are TO DIE FOR!

• Jessica — February 7th, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

You could try using dark chocolate – I haven’t tried that before though. Have you seen Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder? It’s amazing.

• Steph — February 7th, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

Yes! I have used and and I have some on hand…I just wasn’t sure which recipe would be better to try it out with:). Thanks!

Claire — February 8, 2012 @ 5:39 am

Hi, does anyone know the uk equivalent for these measurements? I looked up a converter on google but should cups of flour and butter and sugar all convert to different weights? Want to make these for valentines day next week :) so if anyone can help be very appreciated! Thanks!!! :)

Tiffany — February 13, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

What sort of white chocolate do you use here? Bakers chocolate, or just a bar of chocolate?

Katie — February 15, 2012 @ 1:53 am

Made these yesterday with white chocolate chips for Valentines. Amaaaaaazing!

Candi — March 10, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Red velvet brownies

Jordyn — March 13, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

I tried making these for 50 people so I quadrupled the recipe.. I did something wrong… I think it was the oven I used.. not a normal oven… but the top was crunchy and the inside gooey. I couldn’t even cut them… BUT I made individual “Red Velvet Trifles” and everyone loved them. I love you website, humor and recipes.. keep it up!

Niese — April 4, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

OMG you are soooo amazing!!!! I have made three of your recipies within the last week. I think I have found a new favorite chef!!! Move over Rachael Ray!!

Rima — April 24, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Oh Lord. I’m a Red Velvet Cupcake girl, and seeing this, I know I’m in Red Velvet Heaven.
    Gotta try this STAT!

cheers, Rima

• Victoria — May 11th, 2012 @ 9:23 am

I just made them last night and almost ate the whole batch by myself! It is the most exquisite, velvety and easy recipe for colored velvet ever! Thanks so, so much! I used blue instead of red, and they were perfect!

Beka — May 3, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

I just made these, they look like they’ll be great! (I just had to slice off a bit around the edge and try it–it tasted fantastic)
    I did make a few of my own modifications–adjusted it for high-altitude baking, added chopped white chocolate to the batter instead of regular chocolate chips, and instead of two tablespoons of coloring, I added two tablespoons of raspberry syrup (plus what I had left of a food coloring bottle). On second thought, I should have decreased the sugar to account for the extra sweetness of the syrup, but I decided to drizzle the brownies with melted white chocolate instead of making the frosting (I will probably go with the frosting next time though, if I can remember to not make the brownies too sweet). Thanks for sharing the great recipe!

• Alisha — January 26th, 2014 @ 11:30 pm

I recently moved to a high altitude, and i would like to know how you adjusted these brownies.

Annabelle — June 24, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

I’m having a really hard time not pulling these out of the oven and eating them RIGHT now.

lola — August 16, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

i havent read a bad comment about these yet…so when i get the right ingredients i hope to make them and eat them all myself! Usually when i make anything but chocolate cake from scratch, it turns out gross…so i will comment again after i make them and tell you how they turned out! Oh and would regular white buttercream taste wierd with this or should i jususe the white chocolate recipie written?

lola — August 18, 2012 @ 9:20 am

This is an amateur baking question but….do we really need that much food coloring? And will it effect the taste alot….in a bad way? Because I really want to impress my family but I don’t want to give them gross brownies….you know?

Rowan Watson — October 5, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

oh…. oh my! oh, i… man! i have GOT to make these!

you have a new fan.

Nisa — October 18, 2012 @ 2:50 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe, mine just came out of the oven and it tasted amazing! I’m still thinking whether I should frost it or not tho (not a huge sweets fan), but anyway, thanks!

Alli — October 29, 2012 @ 1:46 am

This looks amazing. I’ve made an awesome red velvet cheesecake brownies but I think I might give this a try because love finding the perfect brownie recipe.

Faye — November 28, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

I decided to step it up a little and add some mint chocolate chips to the recipe, after I frosted them I sprinkled candy cane bits over top, it makes a wonderful Christmas dessert..

Holly Watson — December 15, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

How did you get yours to bake flat? I just made these and while I love the flavor, they rose much higher around the edges. I know it is important to not over mix and I didn’t think that I did but would that be a problem?

Shanna — December 31, 2012 @ 12:41 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I found your site a couple of months ago and have been wanting to try this recipe. I made a batch today to bring to a New Year’s eve party tomorrow, my hubby and son bothered me so much to try them that I finally gave in. Needless to say, I just finished making a second batch because we managed to eat half of the first one! Absolutely amazing, you have made me a lover of white chocolate frosting :) Thanks again!!

Amy Reed — February 14, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

I make these to bring into work for Valentine’s Day. They were a hit! My husband and teenage son were horrified that I didn’t leave any at home, so I guess I am making another batch this weekend. So yummy!

Rosie — April 6, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

I have been wanting to make these for ages and your recipe was perfect! I was curious to see if the frosting would be a better pairing with red velvet than cream cheese frosting, and I thought it was much nicer. My boyfriend loved them (specially cut into heart shapes with a cookie cutter). This is going in my recipe book.

Arie — May 4, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

Love your recipe and blog it’s truly stunning.

dan — June 28, 2013 @ 7:40 am

must these be stored in fridge after making or can they sit out?

sophie — November 22, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

Hi! This is a wonderful recipe. I tried to make this last nite and didn’t last for 3 hours. Gonna make this again today doubling the recipe. Can I replace butter with vegetable oil? Coz i’ m running out of butter and where i live…. is not easy to find butter and they’re pricey too. please advice. thanx in advance :)

ddonaldson — January 13, 2014 @ 7:53 pm

Do I double this recipe to make a 9X13 pan of brownies?

• Jessica — January 13th, 2014 @ 7:58 pm

that’s what i usually do, yes! don’t double the whole bake time though – i tend to check after 30-35 minutes.

Sydney — December 25, 2014 @ 12:24 am

wow this is a really late post, but i just came across this recipe looking for something to bake for Christmas. I actually took the last batch out of the oven like 5 minutes ago and HAD to comment on these brownies. Firstly, they are delicious!! The frosting is a little sweet and I actually only used half of the frosting I made for two batches of the brownies. I made a couple of substitutions just because I am trying to avoid the home 20 (I’m just getting back home from college and don’t want to gain too much weight) and the holiday handles. Instead of using 1/2 cup of butter in the brownies, I used 1/4 of old country butter and 1/4 of “I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter Light. I also used 1/2 cup of Splenda for the sugar and egg substitutes instead of whole eggs. Honestly, I wonder what they would’ve tasted like if I hadn’t substituted the ingredients because the brownies that came out were SO GOOD! I kept the recipe for the frosting the same, but it was really sweet; maybe it’s because I used the Ghirardelli chocolate squares instead of the Baker’s squares. Other than that they are super delicious, I ate almost half of one batch and is why I had to make another!

1. Pingback: Some ABCs and flourless cookies « savourytraveller

2. Pingback: Take a Peep. « themfdre

3. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies « Sarah's Sweets

4. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies « Picky and Healthy

5. Pingback: Valentine Red Velvet Brownies | Runway Chef

6. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies | Bowling Green Parent Magazine

7. Pingback: Peanut Butter Fudge Pretzel Brownies | life in gmt+10

8. Pingback: Here’s To Lookin’ You (through these next 114 days) | The Blueberry Days

9. Pingback: It’s a good Monday! « Faith Fitness and Laughter

10. Pingback: White Chocolate Frosting Cookies (Cookies made with frosting) - What Katie's Baking

11. Pingback: Red Velvet Santa Hat Brownies

12. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownie Pie {#LovethePie} - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

13. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies | livelovepasta

14. Pingback: Red Velvet Valentine Brownie Bites - JavaCupcake

15. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting | whisk you were here

16. Pingback: A Marvelous Return | Chasing Chels

17. Pingback: Things I Learned Yesterday (WIAW) | Chasing Chels

18. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies | Bake and Be Merry

19. Pingback: One Bowl Cupcakes for Two… | Mama's Style

20. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting | Hoosier Baker

21. Pingback: White Chocolate Frosting - What Katie's Baking

22. Pingback: Brownie Banana Bread Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Frosting | How Sweet It Is

23. Pingback: Cranberry Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting - Cookie Monster Cooking

24. Pingback: Meyer Lemon Curd Cupcakes for Two | The Spiffy Cookie

25. Pingback: White Chocolate Raspberry Cake | A Sweeter Thing

26. Pingback: Heaven and Hell Brownies | Caleigh's Kitchen

27. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookie Chia Seed Banana Pudding | Yeah...immaeatthatYeah…imma eat that

28. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownie Heart Bites with White Chocolate Frosting | Cookin' Cowgirl

29. Pingback: The thrilling conclusion to Birthday (Cake) Week | Clea Writes

30. Pingback: Pinterest Recipes - Keeping up with Claire

31. Pingback: Red Velvet Peppermint Brownies | Recipes and Ramblings with the Tumbleweed Contessa

32. Pingback: Red velvet brownies with white chocolate frosting - Culinary Pins