This started off as a loaf cake.

After finding some amazing strawberries at the grocery store, all I had in mind was something “strawberries and cream.” I didn’t care what it was. All I knew was that I could practically smell the strawberries when I stepped into the store. They are so ripe and fresh and sweet! Just how I like them. I wait for this all year long.

As soon as I got home, I decided I was going to make a strawberries and cream loaf cake. Because a loaf cake is sort of like a snack cake. Similar to banana bread, if you will. Which means it’s an entirely appropriate snack at all hours of the day.

But I found it slightly boring. And plain. I thought it needed some spice in it’s life. So I cut the slices into squares and skewered them with some sugary, sweet strawberries.

Now is the time when I should probably come clean and tell you that my loaf cake wasn’t as pretty as I wanted it to be. Hence all of the skewering and the kebobing. The cake still turned out, but it wasn’t as full as I wanted it to be. I think my loaf pan was too large. I think the strawberries were too ripe. I think I lost my marbles half way between the creaming of the sugar and the baking of the cake.

But that’s neither here nor there, because this turned out to be a fun and delicious dessert! The cake was so good. It was creamy and cakey and fluffy.

I made a glaze too because, well… if you haven’t noticed – I’m obsessed with glazing things.

This glaze was by far the best part. I am not even joking. The best.

I was slurping this off the spoon. I would have drank an entire glass of it. Total sugar shock… but delicious. Strawberries plus cream plus vanilla – it tastes exactly what you would think “strawberries and cream” should taste like.

Let’s talk about what else this glaze would be perfect on. Pancakes. Ice cream. Biscuits. Yogurt. Waffles. Crepes. Bagels. Apples. Cinnamon sugar pita chips. I could go on and on and on. If I’m being honest, I don’t care if you make the cake. You can make any cake and skewer it however you want to. But you must make the glaze!

It’s good for you. It has fruit in it.

Strawberries and Cream Loaf Cake

from the vanilla lime poundcake

3 large eggs

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened

1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract and heavy cream. Whisk together.

In the bowl of your electric mixed, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined. Add butter and mix until batter starts to come together. Add half of the egg mixture and mix on medium for 30 seconds. Add the remaining egg mixture in two parts, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing on medium speed for about 30-45 seconds each. Add strawberries and mix until they begin to break down into the batter.

Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of your loaf pan and butter it. Spray the entire loaf pan with baking spray and lay the parchment paper down, buttered side up. Pour the batter in the loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. If cake gets too brown on top, lightly tent it with foil. Let cool before cutting. Once cool, cut slices. Cut each slice in half, then in half again, creating squares. Skewer cake with sliced strawberries.

Strawberry Cream Glaze

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-2 strawberries, mashed or pureed

Mash or puree the strawberries (I used a mini food processor) until they are soupy. In a bowl, combine the berries, sugar, vanilla and cream and whisk until smooth. You may need to add a bit more liquid or sugar to reach desired consistency.

So now you know: if you have a cake that is less than beautiful, skewer it. I think next up is chocolate cake kebobs with peanut butter dipping sauce. (And a bacon crumble. Duh.)

114 Responses to “Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebobs.”

Cara — March 22, 2011 @ 11:02 am

That is such a cute dessert! What a creative way to use a less than perfect looking cake, you’re so resourceful!

Jess — March 22, 2011 @ 11:50 am

what adorable little kabobs. we got some strawberries yesterday that were just gorgeous, i covered them in cool whip and crushed meyer lemon wafers. heaven. i love spring.

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — March 22, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Love this! Just the other day, I made a cake that I felt was ugly and didn’t know how to repurpose it. Now I know!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 22, 2011 @ 11:51 am

This is so cute and creative! I’m dying to dive right into that bowl of strawberry glaze mmmm!

Mindy — March 22, 2011 @ 11:59 am

you are a culinary genius! I just want to eat whatever you make without consciously thinking about it. Too bad I do think about it, haha!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — March 22, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

this looks wonderful!

Lucy — March 22, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Don’t you just love how a huge amount of powdered sugar dissolves into the tiniest bit of liquid? It’s a true scientific mystery/miracle!

Looks delicious!

Moni'sMeals — March 22, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

what a great idea and especially if your cake gets messed up! What a nice trick to remember when having friends over. :)

EatLiveRun — March 22, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

these are awesome—what a fun idea!

Jocelyn@ lifesrecipes.blogspot.com — March 22, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Strawberries are my absolute favorite fruit/dessert/treat/meal whatever. I have been fantasizing about them being in season for months!

Come on spring!!!

This recipe (ok, the glaze) looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — March 22, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

This would be an awesome addition to the Top 9 Tea Party Foodbuzz is doing this week! We considered doing something similar with the funfetti cake balls we made. Too cute!

maria — March 22, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

I found some awesome strawberries at Whole Foods yesterday! I was really surprised, because they’re not usually in season right now in the midwest. These look delightful :-) I just ate some with truvia, yours look way better.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 22, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

This is SUCH a fun idea! It would make a perfect party food!!

kate@ahealthypassion — March 22, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

these are genius so cute for spring!~

Jenna — March 22, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

You have got to be kidding me… you are killing me with these photos while I sit here on my lunch break. want.kebob.now.

Sana — March 22, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

You had me at kabob :)

Miriam — March 22, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

I too was tempted by beautiful strawberries at the store last night! But when I got them home they were really too ripe and not that great. I ate some with yogurt and cereal but wasn’t sure what to do with the rest. Reading your post, I realized all I really want is to drown the rest in melted chocolate. Which I will do tonight. Yum. But I also love your loaf cake and fruit skewers!!

Blond Duck — March 22, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

Only you could come up with this!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — March 22, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

I would never think that cake turned out bad. You made it look like a winner! How fun too!!

• Jessica — March 22nd, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

It didn’t come out terrible, it just fell a little bit in the middle. :)

Sharlene — March 22, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

Your creativity astounds me. These look so cute and are a great way to dress up a not-so-pretty cake!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss — March 22, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

now THAT is what I call a kebab. screw that steak/peppers/onions crap. you’re a genius, as always!

Cupcake Activist — March 22, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Yum! I love strawberry season!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 22, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

this kind of reminds me of the melting pot! :) I just wanna scoop out a glob of the mixture

Hannah (Hannah Lives) — March 22, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

I really want to brush these in melted butter, and grill them so the edges get all caramelized, and crunchy. AND THEN glaze them. Yum.

• Jessica — March 22nd, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

That would make them SO much better!

Alexa @ Simple Eats — March 22, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

All I can say is YUM. Strawberry Shortcake eat your heart out!

Ruth — March 22, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

I’ve admired your blog for a while and thought I should say hi! This post makes me wish for summer to come quickly here!!

• Jessica — March 22nd, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Hi Ruth! :)

Shannon — March 22, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

This is pure genius!! I love it! This is perfect for catered parties, for kids, it doesn’t matter what the occasion. Awesome, as usual!!

Tracy — March 22, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Yes please! I’ll take about 92 of those. ;-)

Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous — March 22, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

I love this recipe- I always buy way too many strawberries and run out of ideas for things to do with them.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 22, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

My cakes never turn out perfect, but that’s what frosting is for, right?

Katie — March 22, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

Wait, wait, wait…cake KEBOBS?! I can’t even believe how fun this idea is.

vanillasugarblog — March 22, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

well this is a way to get hubby to eat fruits or even veggies! LOL can you imagine making this with veggies. shit. i could. i need to work on that one.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 22, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

You always have such fun ideas, cake and fruit kebobs are such a great idea for a party.

Stacy — March 22, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

Yummy! I love accidental strawberry creations, maybe even more than intentional ones!

Natalie Boenker — March 23, 2011 @ 12:46 am

Sooooo my husband loves strawberry like sweets and his birthday is coming up….I wonder if this would work as a cake and use the glaze as the icing and then dice some strawberries to garnish on top…thoughts??

jenna laughs — March 23, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Beautiful! What a creative idea.

Haley — March 23, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

I made this recipe but as cupcakes. I took it to my friends in law school and they disappeared in minutes! SO delicious!!!

Your blog is the best – i read it everyday

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Oh yay! That is great it worked with cupcakes. And thanks so much!

ece kocak — March 23, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

okay i have been following food blogs on tumblr for a while now and some posts just drive me crazy because of the excessive ignorance that drools from each word. today i came across something that they called strawberry cream cake kebobs. what the hell is that? the picture shows pieces of fresh strawberries and pieces of cream cake on a skewer (aka shish). i looked at the recipe to see if they were at least cooked or something and NO, they weren’t even cooked. pieces of cake and strawberries on a stupid shish with some weird sauce poured over. people, kebob is a meat dish where you COOK the meat. it is a way of cooking meat that has originated from persia and then got spread around the middle east. you might go all fusion and have fruit kebobs or (more traditionally) eggplant, mushroom or pepper kebobs but kebob is the generic name for a certain way of COOKING or GRILLING food, not sticking them together on a shish. shish kebob is a subcategory for kebob and strawberry cream cake skewer is NOT a strawberry cream cake KEBOB because it’s not grilled or cooked or whatever! it is a pathetic excuse for a snack/dessert and it is misnamed. if you want to be all hipster, just call them skewers or shishs. i respect the effort you put in these recipes and maintaining this website but when taking this responsibility, please at least know what you’re talking about when it comes to food and gastronomy. also please do know that “chocolate cake kebobs with peanut butter dipping sauce” will also not be a kebob if you don’t find a way of grilling it kebob-style.

• jason — March 23rd, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

Blah blah blah blah. someone likes the sound of their own voice a bit too much.

• kat — July 3rd, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

hahaha! Jason, I am totally with you on that one.. “ece kocak” sounds like she has a kebob stuck up her.. @$$.

I just made this creative ensemble and everyone including me loves it!

Maranda — March 26, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

I am a sucker for strawberries. This is a great idea. I have a poundcake in the freezer that I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with…now I know! Thanks!

Elle — March 28, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I’m ALL over this idea!

Robyn | Add a Pinch — March 30, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

What a great idea! You are always so creative.

Nicole — May 7, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

I doubled this recipe and turned it into a bundt cake. Then I drizzled the strawberry glaze and your vanilla bean glaze on top. I took it to my in laws house for a mothers day dinner and everybody loved it. My husband said that it was the best thing he has ever tasted. I love your recipes!

Blanca Nieves — May 30, 2011 @ 1:03 am

Oh.my.gosh, I couldn’t be more excited to make this. Especially throw in some strawberry ice cream!

the_alias — August 15, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

OMG! These look awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe – I’m planning to make them for my sister’s 21st.. just a question – how many skewers do these make, approximately?

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

It totally depends on how big you cut the cubes, I’d say 4-6?

Cheryl — December 22, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

I am baking holiday treats with my granddaughter and my daughter trying new recipes and we are making this one. We discovered if you add lemon extract it gives an extra blast of flavor POW

1. Pingback: Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebabs | Foodbeast Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebabs | The Premiere Food News Resource

2. Pingback: Best. Oatmeal. Cookies. Ever. « The ELLE Smith

3. Pingback: Angel Food Cake with Strawberry Cream Glaze « Slinging Eggs and Bacon

4. Pingback: Friday Finds « Flux Capacitating