This started off as a loaf cake.

After finding some amazing strawberries at the grocery store, all I had in mind was something “strawberries and cream.” I didn’t care what it was. All I knew was that I could practically smell the strawberries when I stepped into the store. They are so ripe and fresh and sweet! Just how I like them. I wait for this all year long.

As soon as I got home, I decided I was going to make a strawberries and cream loaf cake. Because a loaf cake is sort of like a snack cake. Similar to banana bread, if you will. Which means it’s an entirely appropriate snack at all hours of the day.

But I found it slightly boring. And plain. I thought it needed some spice in it’s life. So I cut the slices into squares and skewered them with some sugary, sweet strawberries.

Now is the time when I should probably come clean and tell you that my loaf cake wasn’t as pretty as I wanted it to be. Hence all of the skewering and the kebobing. The cake still turned out, but it wasn’t as full as I wanted it to be. I think my loaf pan was too large. I think the strawberries were too ripe. I think I lost my marbles half way between the creaming of the sugar and the baking of the cake.

But that’s neither here nor there, because this turned out to be a fun and delicious dessert! The cake was so good. It was creamy and cakey and fluffy.

I made a glaze too because, well… if you haven’t noticed – I’m obsessed with glazing things.

This glaze was by far the best part. I am not even joking. The best.

I was slurping this off the spoon. I would have drank an entire glass of it. Total sugar shock… but delicious. Strawberries plus cream plus vanilla – it tastes exactly what you would think “strawberries and cream” should taste like.

Let’s talk about what else this glaze would be perfect on. Pancakes. Ice cream. Biscuits. Yogurt. Waffles. Crepes. Bagels. Apples. Cinnamon sugar pita chips. I could go on and on and on. If I’m being honest, I don’t care if you make the cake. You can make any cake and skewer it however you want to. But you must make the glaze!

It’s good for you. It has fruit in it.

Strawberries and Cream Loaf Cake

from the vanilla lime poundcake

3 large eggs

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened

1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract and heavy cream. Whisk together.

In the bowl of your electric mixed, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined. Add butter and mix until batter starts to come together. Add half of the egg mixture and mix on medium for 30 seconds. Add the remaining egg mixture in two parts, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing on medium speed for about 30-45 seconds each. Add strawberries and mix until they begin to break down into the batter.

Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of your loaf pan and butter it. Spray the entire loaf pan with baking spray and lay the parchment paper down, buttered side up. Pour the batter in the loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. If cake gets too brown on top, lightly tent it with foil. Let cool before cutting. Once cool, cut slices. Cut each slice in half, then in half again, creating squares. Skewer cake with sliced strawberries.

Strawberry Cream Glaze

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-2 strawberries, mashed or pureed

Mash or puree the strawberries (I used a mini food processor) until they are soupy. In a bowl, combine the berries, sugar, vanilla and cream and whisk until smooth. You may need to add a bit more liquid or sugar to reach desired consistency.

So now you know: if you have a cake that is less than beautiful, skewer it. I think next up is chocolate cake kebobs with peanut butter dipping sauce. (And a bacon crumble. Duh.)

114 Responses to “Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebobs.”

The Teenage Taste — March 22, 2011 @ 7:02 am

That’s such a cute idea! I’d love to see a chocolate cake variety though! I’m a chocoholic! :-P

• Baking 'n' Books — March 22nd, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Me too! A Devil’s Food Cake version maybe?….oh wait – BOSTON CREME PIE!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 22, 2011 @ 7:04 am

“my loaf cake wasn’t as pretty as I wanted it to be. Hence all of the skewering and the kebobing. ”

I love how kebobing became an action verb. :)

I love how you admit that not everything, every.single.time goes as planned.

And that you actually blogged about it. Keepin’ it real.

Seriously though, if you hadnt said anything, i would have thought..omg, she made this perfect cake and then cut it up?!! But know i know. I can taste the amazing strawberry-ness from here!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 22, 2011 @ 7:06 am

That is the cutest dessert ever. Slap a strawberry shortcake outfit onto yourself and call it a day!

Susan — March 22, 2011 @ 7:10 am

I love that this makes me think of an appetizer. If you ever hosted a dinner party, I bet I’d be in a sugar coma before dessert arrived. And I’d love every second of it.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 22, 2011 @ 7:13 am

Wow, how awesome are those! I want some for breakfast now!

Erica — March 22, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I totally see this at a summer bbq! Way to turn the cake around too. I love when I can find a way to recover from a recipe that turned out kind of meh.

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 22, 2011 @ 7:18 am

So cute and delightful!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 22, 2011 @ 7:20 am

I’ve been loving the strawberries lately too! They look better and better each day!

Love these dessert kebobs! So creative :)

Gen — March 22, 2011 @ 7:24 am

What a great idea!!!!! I will definitely be making that glaze very, very soon! :D

Katrina — March 22, 2011 @ 7:35 am

The glaze on this looks fabulous. Great idea to spice up a cake!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — March 22, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Yummm, A+ idea!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — March 22, 2011 @ 7:41 am

You’re a freaking genius. I feel like I need to tell you this daily =) I deconstruct salads like this.. but dessert — um… the new cupcake? yes! this is totally the new cupcake =)

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 22, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Jessica what a fun idea! Things like this (and stuff like cake pops) can make a party/celebration/dinner so much more exciting!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — March 22, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Ugh we’re so jealous you found delicious strawberries already…we’ve been searching! And as soon as we find them we are making this.

Christina — March 22, 2011 @ 7:51 am

Love this idea. I will have to try the glaze. I’m a big fan too!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — March 22, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Love it! And I’m with you – glazes are everything! I might just make something like this for my sister’s bridal shower coming up this spring…Who new a spontaneously skewered cake could be so amazing? :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 22, 2011 @ 7:58 am

Such a cute dessert! Turning a not-so-cute cake into kebabs is brilliant!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 22, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Very cute! These would be adorable for a picnic or bbq!

Kristen@PrettySweet — March 22, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Strawberry cream glaze? Sigh! Everything good and right in the food world is in that glaze.

Heather — March 22, 2011 @ 8:09 am

this is such a cute idea…i want to make them for parties!

megan @ blackberries for jam — March 22, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Those look like the most perfect strawberries ever!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — March 22, 2011 @ 8:16 am

Love the creativity here- turning cake into kebobs is so 2011! ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 22, 2011 @ 8:20 am

These are so cute! It seems strawberries have been screaming my name this week too.. I’ve already gone through a pound of them… and it’s only Tuesday!

• Jessica — March 22nd, 2011 @ 9:00 am

They are so good this time of year!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 22, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I love happy accidents! These look perfect and fun!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 22, 2011 @ 8:31 am

I got some delicious strawberries last weekend… now I am wishing I had bought more!

Hannah — March 22, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Ohmygosh so good! I’m actually not into cakes in general, but cake kebobs I can absolutely get behind! And if you used stale cake, you could probably grill ‘em without everything falling apart!

• Jessica — March 22nd, 2011 @ 9:00 am

I think grilling them would be awesome.

Christina — March 22, 2011 @ 8:46 am

What a cute idea! This is perfect for spring.

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — March 22, 2011 @ 8:50 am

So adorable for a kid’s party! I should hire you to cater to my kids birthday party!!! LOL

Amanda — March 22, 2011 @ 8:51 am

That looks absolutely amazing Jessica!!! Brilliant and gorgous and I am so book marking this for this summer!!!

brandi — March 22, 2011 @ 9:01 am

fun idea! I’ve seen this done with angel food cake, too, but I haven’t tried it.

Kim in MD — March 22, 2011 @ 9:03 am

What is it about food on a stick that makes it so much more fun? What a fabulous idea to skewer the cake, Jessica! You are a culinary genious! :-)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — March 22, 2011 @ 9:08 am

What a fun idea! One thing I’ve learned from you…if something doesn’t turn out, throw some glaze on it and it will be fine! ;-)

Amelia — March 22, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Sometimes flops turn into the best desserts. :)

Did you know that there is a MAJOR difference between FL strawberries and CA strawberries? Living in SC for many years all we had were FL strawberries. Now that I am in CO, we only get CA ones in grocery stores. They are not nearly as good as the FL ones. Very white on the inside!

• Jessica — March 22nd, 2011 @ 9:19 am

I had no idea! This must be why my dad asked if these were FL strawberries before he ate this. :)

Julie @SavvyEats — March 22, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Yum. These would be really cute at a bridal shower or some other party!

rebecca lustig — March 22, 2011 @ 9:26 am

dessert kebobs? perfection

Caitlin — March 22, 2011 @ 9:29 am

The only thing that would make this better is swapping the cake for angel food or that shortcake you buy at the grocery store when strawberries first come into season. No, I think angel food wins. At this point in my sugar free life, I think I’d like a brick if it had powdered sugar on it.

• Jessica — March 22nd, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Considering the glaze is pure sugar, I think you would love it!

Sara — March 22, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Wow those are gorgeous! Someone should be serving them to me in a restaurant.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 22, 2011 @ 9:38 am

The good ideas keep coming. Love this one- it would be so cute at a bridal/baby shower!!

Haleigh — March 22, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Ohmygosh! These look amazing, what a unique idea!

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — March 22, 2011 @ 9:42 am

These look fabulous! What a cute idea. :)

Kelly — March 22, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Those are so cute…perfect for parties or entertaining!!!

Eliz@The Sweet Life — March 22, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Oh my–gorgeous!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 22, 2011 @ 9:54 am

What a great twist on a fruit kebab! I’m with you – I totally love the season when strawberries start coming into the season – spring is coming, I can feel it :-)

Shanna, Like Banana — March 22, 2011 @ 10:09 am

And since it’s already on a stick, why not dip it in hot fudge?

Kacy — March 22, 2011 @ 10:11 am

That would make such a great entertaining dessert! Not that I entertain… or bake. But if I did I would make those!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — March 22, 2011 @ 10:16 am

I really like the dessert kebob idea. Its different, and because kebobs are little, you can eat a bunch of them and it totally doesn’t count. :)

Naomi — March 22, 2011 @ 10:34 am

im gonna go hide now…maybe one of thsoe kebobs will be in my hiding place :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — March 22, 2011 @ 10:35 am

I think strawberries n cream is such a yummy combo! The cake looks pretty to me :)

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — March 22, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Where do you come up with these fab ideas? You’re so creative! I love it!

sweetsugarbelle — March 22, 2011 @ 10:56 am

Omg….my family is gonna flip for this. Well, maybe me.too!

1. Pingback: Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebabs | Foodbeast Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebabs | The Premiere Food News Resource

2. Pingback: Best. Oatmeal. Cookies. Ever. « The ELLE Smith

3. Pingback: Angel Food Cake with Strawberry Cream Glaze « Slinging Eggs and Bacon

4. Pingback: Friday Finds « Flux Capacitating