I’ve never been one for patience.

I am, perhaps, the most impatient person in the whole world. How do I know?

Well, I don’t. I’d tell you to Google it, but I can’t wait that long. So you’ll just have to take my word for it. And my recipes. Because if something tasty takes me longer than 45 minutes to make, you’ll find me waist deep in a tub of chocolate frosting ready to face plant on the kitchen floor, riding waves of anxiety.  I don’t do complicated.

I’m speedy. No molasses here.

That’s why I have this little thing for granola. It’s simple, it’s quick, and it tends to be a hodge podge of whatever ingredients I have on hand. It’s a hot mess. I like hot messes.

If you’re anything like me, you could probably enter the competitive eating arena with a bucket of granola and win back-to-back titles. Twice. And while I’d be extremely proud of my oat cluster consumption, I probably couldn’t hang around to see my offspring carry on the family name due to the constant sugar coma I’d lapse in to. That’s why I sweetened this granola with pureed strawberries. Oh, and honey. Probably too much honey according to some, but if there is anything I do well, it’s being excessive.

The whole pureed fruit idea came from Sylvie, who shared a post on how to make fabulous granola. And that fabulosity also inspired me to add butter to my granola. First time ever, folks. Don’t know what took me so long. But when I innocently poured the melted goodness into the bowl of oats and watched it slickly soak into the plush wheat germ, I knew it was the right move.

Repeat after me: I will never eat granola again unless it’s made with butter. Butter is swell.

Strawberry Almond Granola

makes 4+ cups of granola

2 cups rolled oats

1/2 cup ground flaxseed

1/2 cup wheat germ

1/2 cup chopped almonds

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

contents of one vanilla bean

1/2 cup honey

3 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup strawberry puree (about large 5-6 strawberries for me)

dried strawberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl combine oats, wheat germ, flax, salt, cinnamon and almonds. Stir to combine. Add strawberries (with tops removed) to a food processor and blend until pureed. Set aside. Melt butter and add vanilla and vanilla beans to it.

Add honey to the oat mixture, combined with a spoon. Stir in strawberry puree and butter + vanilla mixture, tossing until everything is coated. Spread out on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes. You want granola to be slightly golden when you remove it from the oven. Let it sit and cool for one hour – at this time it should become crunchy. Fold in dried strawberries. Store in a seal tight container for up to one week.

Now if only I had the patience to clean my house.

110 Responses to “Strawberry Almond Granola.”

Clarissa — April 7, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

I waaaaaaaant this!!

Tessa — April 7, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

The strawberries in this sound great. I have been digging strawberries this year!

Holly — April 7, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Your strawberry puree is always so pretty! :)

Nicole — April 7, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

I love homemade granola! It’s so much better then the store bought stuff which has ingredients that i cant even pronounce. Thanks for the great recipe.

Naomi — April 7, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

wow the contents of a full vanilla bean probably just put this recipe over the top for me…so summery and delicious

Moni'sMeals — April 7, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

I am a granola freak and this looks perfect. Love how strawberries are back in full season too.

Kristen D — April 7, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

Could your recipes be any more amazing?
    You could sell anything you make for millions!!

Alexa @ Simple Eats — April 7, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

I could easily dominate a whole batch o’ granola. Done and done.
    Puree in granola? Sounds unbelievable!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — April 7, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Fruit puree in granola is delicious! I love the natural sweetness. I’ve added apple sauce and mashed banana but no strawberry puree yet. Yet being the key word :)

Connie the cookie monster — April 7, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

i knew i bought a box of strawberries for a reason!!

Big Boys Oven — April 7, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

truly delicious!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — April 7, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

I love the addition of strawberries and almonds! yum!

Michelle — April 7, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

I am making this tonight!! Looks amazing!

• Jessica — April 7th, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

Let me know if you like it!!

• Michelle — April 7th, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

I LOVED this recipe! I have had a hard time finding a granola recipe that doesn’t call for a ton of oil, so this is a breath of fresh air for me! If you don’t mind, can I post this recipe on my blog to share?? It is so worth sharing!!

Krystina (Organically Me) — April 7, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Granola is dangerous with me. I can eat the entire batch/box in one sitting.

I wish I were joking.

• Jessica — April 7th, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean!

Sabine — April 7, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

I love granola! We usually get a delicious raspberry and cream kind at the co-op, but I also really want to try to make some; I’ll definitely come back to this when I do.

Sydney — April 7, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

I don’t know if you meant to do it, but it seriously looks like there’s a heart in the middle of the bowl in the last picture. Probably because granola = love :) I just made a cranberry orange granola and it turned out great, but now I want to make this one!! Good thing there’s no such thing as too much granola :)

• Jessica — April 7th, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Hahahah I definitely didn’t mean to do that!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — April 7, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

I’m making this as soon as I have a free second…holy cow! YUM!

naina — April 7, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

wow just found your site! this looks so delicious, healthy, and easy!

Gaby — April 7, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

omg I absolutely need this in my life ASAP!! And… I wish I had the willpower to clean my house too!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — April 7, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

Jessica, you’re so sweet! I’m glad my granola post was useful to you, thanks for the mention. I’ve never tried using strawberry puree before, it sounds great.

sophistimom — April 8, 2011 @ 12:51 am

I never thought of putting a fruit puree in granola. This is lovely.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — April 8, 2011 @ 1:12 am

It’s basically illegal for me to have granola in the house. I always tell myself I can make it and control myself. Wrong. I snack on it ALL. DAY. LONG. Until it’s gone. Mmmm….strawberry =)

Ellie@fitforthesoul — April 8, 2011 @ 1:53 am

I know what you mean about the butter! Well, on my last granola recipe I made it with earth balance but close enough! ;) this looks delicious with cooooold milk….can’t wait to eat hard foods like that again. Just getting off the stomach flu hehe.

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) — April 8, 2011 @ 3:34 am

I see myself chucking in some white chocolate chunks into the mix :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — April 8, 2011 @ 6:04 am

This recipe is speaking to me. It’s saying: make me. thankyouberrymuch.

Kacy — April 8, 2011 @ 8:57 am

I’ve never made granola, but I do like quick and easy recipes!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef — April 8, 2011 @ 10:58 am

looks amazing! i’ve never made homemade fruit granola before. sounds easy and delicious!

Sarah — April 8, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Looks amazing! I’m def going to try the strawberry next time I make granola! Have you ever tried using agave nectar? I usually use a mix of agave and honey when I make mine…my fave mix-ins are dried pineapple and papaya, and coconut! Hawaiian granola!

Maranda — April 9, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Butter is swell. Butter is swell. Butter is swell. Duh!! When I was little, I used to sit under the dining room table “hiding” while eating a tub of butter. It was delicious. I’ve never gotten over my love of butter. I like a little toast with my butter…that’s how bad it is. So yes…I will be trying this. My three favorite foods: butter, strawberries and butter!

Morgan — April 9, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

This looks fantastic. I can totally see myself making this with every week and eating solely this for breakfast. Probably with chocolate milk.

Lydia — May 4, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

Yum! This looks amazing. I am always excited about new and tasty granola recipes :)

Laura — August 2, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I was super excited to try this recipe, but I’m having a hard time getting the granola to turn golden in the oven. It seems to just stay moist, no matter how long I leave it in there or mess with the temperature. Any advice?

Abby — May 13, 2013 @ 10:57 am

Hello! I made this today but omitted the salt, cinnamon, and vanilla bean. Based on a comment above, I decreased the amount of honey (to about 6 tbsp.) and butter (I used 1 tsp. olive oil) to reduce the liquid because i was afraid it might end up soggy. I kept the amount of strawberry puree the same. My granola did crisp up after cooling. It was good, but I was disappointed in the strawberry flavor. I don’t think I would use the strawberry puree again unless I had extremely ripe berries (which you can’t really get at the grocer). I tried making granola with butter once–substituting it in for oil. I found that my granola burned too quickly and didn’t crisp up. I’ll have to try it again.

1. Pingback: Lindsay Loves 6 | The Lean Green Bean

2. Pingback: Fiber Fool » A Spring Linkity

3. Pingback: Strawberry Almond Granola « Brownies and Zucchini

4. Pingback: Gourmet Cupcakes-Vanilla Cupcakes-Cannoli Recipe-Chocolate Whipped Cream | La Mia Vita Dolce

5. Pingback: Back in the Kitchen! | Fitnessnfoodiegirl's Blog

6. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Granola | Homemade Granola Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

7. Pingback: Strawberry Almond Granola « oh so decadent