Sigh.

Creamy Caprese Pasta I howsweeteats.com

It’s Monday.

I know.

You probably don’t have a smile on your face. Maybe you woke up 35 minutes late and couldn’t wash your hair. Dumped hot coffee on your new white shirt? Couldn’t fit into your new white shirt? Or maybe you dropped your last allergy pill – the only thing that keeps you from scratching out your eyeballs in May – down the garbage disposal. Did you reach down there nearly sacrificing your hand, only to feel something slimy and scary in a desperate attempt to limit wheezing and snot and itchiness?

That only means one thing. Someone needs to stop disposing of lime wedges and chicken in the sink.

Creamy Caprese Pasta I howsweeteats.com

Mondays are for grown ups. Mondays are for people who wear suits and carry briefcases and use a shoe horn to put on their loafers and rinse with green Scope. In other words, Mondays are for my dad.

Creamy Caprese Pasta I howsweeteats.com

But I have some good news!

Monday just got a whole lot more tolerable. Monday just got cheesier and creamier. Monday just got so much better than online shoe shopping, self tanner searching, surviving on salad because you stuffed your face while weekending, and attempting to hold off on the snoring while you take a little desk snooze.

Creamy Caprese Pasta I howsweeteats.com

Shucks… I sort of like Monday now. But just today.

Creamy Caprese Pasta I howsweeteats.com

So – the pasta!

Am I gonna give it up or what? Chewy noodles swim in a light tomato cream sauce. Creamy chunks of fresh mozzarella hide in between pops of grape tomatoes and ribbons of basil, and melt into a gooey, bubbly binder that falls perfectly atop a slice of crusty, buttery garlic bread. It’s almost as perfect as a toasty French loaf topped with a homegrown tomato round, buffalo mozzarella circle, and a solitary silky basil leaf. But better.

Creamy Caprese Pasta I howsweeteats.com

Creamy Caprese Pasta

serves 4-6

1 pound whole wheat pasta (noodles such as penne work best)

1 cup of your favorite pasta/tomato sauce

1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half

1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese + more for garnish

4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes

1 pint of grape tomatoes (I cut some in half and left some whole)

1 bunch of fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil water and cook pasta according to directions.

While pasta is cooking, heat tomato sauce over low heat in a large saucepan. Once warm, stir in heavy cream and grated parmesan. Once pasta is done cooking, drain and dump into the sauce, mixing to coat and turning off heat. Fold in mozzarella cubes and tomatoes, then chop 3-4 fresh basil leaves and add them in too. Once combined, spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and pour the entire pasta mixture into the dish. Top with fresh mozzarella rounds. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.

Top with additional fresh basil and grated cheese. Serve with garlic bread. You can also add in chicken, steak or seafood for some protein.

Creamy Caprese Pasta I howsweeteats.com

Take that Monday.

244 Responses to “Creamy Caprese Pasta.”

The Teenage Taste — May 16, 2011 @ 7:07 am

This will be the perfect dish for me to make in the summer when my garden starts to provide me with loads of fresh cherry and regular tomatoes. Caprese salad is one of my favorites! :-D

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — May 16, 2011 @ 7:11 am

That looks like the absolute perfect pasta! Love the big pieces of the halved cherry tomatoes :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 16, 2011 @ 7:14 am

If you hear a knock at your door, it’s my husband. This is basically his dream dish that he wishes he could eat every night! Looks delicious :)

Courtney — May 16, 2011 @ 7:17 am

I think I could get used to this every Monday :-)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please — May 16, 2011 @ 7:20 am

I don’t know which I’m more excited about – this pasta… or the fact that I’m not the only person who will sacrifice clean hair if they wake up late and no longer have time to wash and style it. Thank you for making my Monday a little more tolerable!

• Jessica — May 16th, 2011 @ 9:14 am

I pretty much do everything possible to avoid washing my hair.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 16, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Fresh mozzarella is amazing. Just look at the gooey-ness!

Now, what’s a shoe horn??

• Jessica — May 16th, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Hahahah it’s something that helps you get on your shoe… I think?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 16, 2011 @ 7:23 am

I’m actually okay with mondays. It’s tuesdays that get me bogged down.

Erica — May 16, 2011 @ 7:24 am

It is DEFINITELY Monday…..my saving grace on Mondays is that I teach pump first thing. Getting moving right away keeps me smiling! This pasta looks awesome. I love caprese anything. And that picture of you pulling the cheesy deliciousness out with the spoon? awesome. Hope your Monday is a good one

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 16, 2011 @ 7:26 am

I’ve had my eye on this dish for weeks now! It looks incredible!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 16, 2011 @ 7:28 am

i can’t believe it’s monday…seriously, where did the weekend go?! i feel like i fell asleep and woke up to the new week!

Gourmantine — May 16, 2011 @ 7:36 am

This pasta could surely make my Monday a much happier day! I just love the bright colors of it!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 16, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Oh yes, this does make Monday so much better!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 16, 2011 @ 7:43 am

This makes Monday a whole heck of a lot better!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 16, 2011 @ 7:45 am

That looks so cheesy and delicious. I definitely have a case of the Mondays today. Boo.

Ashli — May 16, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Um, YUM! :)

Ana Powell — May 16, 2011 @ 7:46 am

Mondays are definitely not my day and to make matters worse I took my last hayfever tablet on Friday :(
    But you just made my Monday feel so much better, awesome dish ♥

Christina — May 16, 2011 @ 7:47 am

I love caprese anything, this looks SO good!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — May 16, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Awesome. I especially love that second to last photo. Yay for cheese!

Gen — May 16, 2011 @ 7:56 am

This looks sooo awesome!!!!! I can’t wait to try it out! :D

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 16, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Oooh this sounds so comforting! I’d love to gobble it all up right now, then go gargle with my blue Scope. ;)

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 16, 2011 @ 8:02 am

Oh my. I just started a “biggest loser” competition–today being the first day–with my friend but caprese is my FAVORITE! This looks amazing!

Maggie — May 16, 2011 @ 8:06 am

How did you know I woke up 35 minutes late and thus, couldn’t wash my hair this morning? I was hoping to hide that little fact from the rest of the world!

This pasta looks amazing!
    Here’s hoping that Monday gets better for all of us!

Jourdan — May 16, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Must make asap! But I also thought that about those cheesecake bars yesterday. You must stop making these irresistible recipes! But don’t really stop please :)

Tara @ The Butter Dish — May 16, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Beautiful Jessica! Your photos are excellent girl. A very natural eye and lucky to have all that gorgeous natural light.

I used to like all the autumn colored walls in the house we’re renting until I started my blog. Now fighting the light from the oranges, yellows, greens etc of the walls is enough to make me want to move…

All for my blog! LOLOL How silly right?

Love the post gal!

• Jessica — May 16th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Thanks so much Tara!

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — May 16, 2011 @ 8:17 am

Yikes, I have a case of the Mondays blahhhhh. That looks amazing. I want some of that now!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — May 16, 2011 @ 8:31 am

I need to tell Monday to “take that”. And then hand me the largest cup of coffee possible. It was a looonnnngggg night with the little man.

shaffy — May 16, 2011 @ 8:32 am

cheese…. ohhh…. be still my quavering thighs!! everytime i make pasta bakes, i gotta make two trays. cos The Captain cant stand cheese. how can ever be earthly possible!! and he rolls his eyes whenever i put cheese into the shopping cart. he just doesn’t know what he’s missing!! erm, but he loves NY cheesecake to death, though. weird.

• Jessica — May 16th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Can’t stand cheese?! How is that possible?

Kelly — May 16, 2011 @ 8:33 am

This would be amazing w/a drizzle of balsamic on top :)

• Jessica — May 16th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Kicking myself for not doing that… guess I just gotta make it again. :)

susie — May 16, 2011 @ 8:38 am

Oh that looks so tasty to make on this rainy day!

Mary Frances — May 16, 2011 @ 8:39 am

I love you. I seriously do. As I am sitting here at my tiny cubicle trying to down as much coffee as I can so I can look alive, I decide to check your blog because its Monday and I’m having a hard time adjusting. And there it is. The answer to my Monday blues. Now I have something to look forward too and my Monday just got a little better.

• Jessica — May 16th, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Thank you so much Mary!

Kelly — May 16, 2011 @ 8:45 am

Monday doesn’t stand a chance if that is what it is up against.

Riss — May 16, 2011 @ 8:53 am

I have been CRAVING caprese! I guess mozzarella will now be added to my grocery list.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — May 16, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Wow Jessica this looks great! I know Scott would LOVE something like this!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — May 16, 2011 @ 9:17 am

This creamy pasta looks great for a Monday!

Gina @Runningtothekitchen — May 16, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Yum! Anything with that much basil has my attention. It’s my all time favorite herb :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — May 16, 2011 @ 9:20 am

You and all of this caprese stuff? You are my hero! :-)

Fallon — May 16, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Love how fresh mozzarella melts!! I made some extra sauce last week, this dish will be perfect for that.

Laura @ Meet Virginia — May 16, 2011 @ 9:23 am

YUM! Going to make this this week!

Brittney — May 16, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Mmmm, the pasta looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. And if you’re looking for a good self-tanner, I can’t recommend Jergens enough. It’s very natural-looking albeit slightly smellly, but it’s really hard to screw up.

marla {family fresh cooking} — May 16, 2011 @ 9:26 am

So, I thought you were gonna do some uber healthy pasta salad at first. LOVE this gooey, oozy cheesy deal :) xo

Julie @ Shining From Within — May 16, 2011 @ 9:27 am

I oficially love Mondays. <3

Kirsten — May 16, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Monday just improved…… by leaps & bounds!

Jenn — May 16, 2011 @ 9:36 am

You made my Monday a whole lot better!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — May 16, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I would dominate this pasta! I love classic caprese, but melted and paired with pasta is even better. Simply awesome.

Alexis @ There She Goes — May 16, 2011 @ 9:43 am

this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

Cookbook Queen — May 16, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Me. You. Breakfast.

You bring this pasta. I’ll bring…myself?

Sounds good.

Krystina (Organically Me) — May 16, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Caprese anything would make any Monday the best day of the week.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — May 16, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Cheese. Cheese. Cheese. Cheese. Cheese.
    I’m going crazy.
    Not to mention the fact that my allergy pills are left forgotten at home while I itch away at work. I have a love-hate relationship with spring.
    I also have a love-hate relationship with cheese. As in, when I’m eating it, I love it, but when I see such amazing photos while I’m not eating it, I hate it.

jenna — May 16, 2011 @ 10:17 am

mmmm..cheesey goodness!! this looks like a perfect dinner!

Amy — May 16, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Goodness…. This looks heavenly. As I I was sitting down with my meal planning calendar, I realized that I needed dinners for Thursday & Sunday. This is a delicious option :)

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: I spy with my little eye… | my little celebration

2. Pingback: Sweet Inspiration

3. Pingback: Maggiano’s Chef’s Table

4. Pingback: Basil Babe « Leave it in New York

5. Pingback: Tony the pasta noodle. | my little celebration

6. Pingback: Bad day? Try this on for size. | Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen!

7. Pingback: Let’s Be Random » Laughter, Strength, and Food

8. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Pasta « Slinging Eggs and Bacon

9. Pingback: Long Weekend Links | Peonies&Cupcakes

10. Pingback: Meal Idea Monday: Creamy Caprese Pasta « Food Tidings Blog

11. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Spinach Pasta « Wholesome RD

12. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #75 – Creamy Caprese Pasta « Ella Rose Entertaining

13. Pingback: At home « Low… and behold!’s Blog

14. Pingback: Caprese Quinoa with Homemade Basil Oil | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: RE Friday Round-Up: Caprese Salad Served Many Ways — Reluctant Entertainer

16. Pingback: Menu July 30-Aug. 5 « Crockpot Tuesdays

17. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Pasta | The Healthy Apron

18. Pingback: How Creamy It Is | Writing With Wine

19. Pingback: Food by trishten19 - Pearltrees

20. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Pasta | Organic Fresh Flavors

21. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Love « Fleur-De-Licious

22. Pingback: Food | Pearltrees

23. Pingback: Rigatoni with Sundried Tomatoes, Pancetta, Fresh Mozzarella and Basil

24. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Pasta | Brushes & Burp Cloths

25. Pingback: At home | Low… and behold!'s Blog

26. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Pasta « Stockholm After Eight

27. Pingback: Recipe Roundup | The Wheeler Weekly

28. Pingback: Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta Quick Easy Food Recipes

29. Pingback: Pinterest recipes review

30. Pingback: Creamy Caprese | deliciousdeliciousbagel

31. Pingback: Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta | Bon Appetito

32. Pingback: Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta | Bon Appetito

33. Pingback: caprese pasta | The Refrigerator Diary

34. Pingback: Weekly Favorites | Ambitious Kitchen

35. Pingback: Caprese Penne

36. Pingback: Melty and Poppy: Creamy Caprese Pasta | Mancktastic!

37. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Pasta | WorldFoodRecipes.com

38. Pingback: Honey Grilled Watermelon Caprese Salads | How Sweet It Is

39. Pingback: Baked Caprese Pasta | cooking my way through life

40. Pingback: Baked Caprese Pasta | cooking my way through life

41. Pingback: what’s cooking? | jellyjars

42. Pingback: Creamy Caprese Pasta | Good Stuff Only

43. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday - Adventures in Life, Love and Librarianship

44. Pingback: 29のおいしい全麦のパスタ料理 | 最新のヘルシーレシピ・健康と夏までダイエット!!

45. Pingback: 29 Delicious Whole Wheat Pasta Dishes | GossipViews.com

46. Pingback: 29 Delicious Whole Wheat Pasta Dishes | sooziQ

47. Pingback: Jeobox – 29 Delicious Whole Wheat Pasta Dishes

48. Pingback: 29 Delicious Whole Wheat Pasta Dishes - zdouf!

49. Pingback: 29のおいしい全麦のパスタ料理 | スーパーフード・健康に良い・ダイエットに良い・世界のスーパーフード!!

50. Pingback: 29のおいしい全麦のパスタ料理 | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行る予感!