Breakfast.

While at the beach, I think the majority of my family became obsessed with breakfast sandwiches. On top of our daily ice cream cone after a big bike ride, many ended up getting the most amazing breakfast sandwiches from a little spot on the boardwalk. They were the best thing ever.

I seriouslycouldn’twait to come home and make fun breakfast sandwiches. One of the favorite combos was eggs grilled with peppers and spinach, topped with cheese and paired with sausage or bacon on an everything bagel. I looooove everything bagels. I want to marry them.

Since I’m still battling Sinus Infection 2011 that has stripped me of 3 of the 5 senses, I made this kinda-boring-but-still-delicious breakfast sandwich for my husband this morning. I can’t wait until I can taste things again and make my ideal breakfast sandwich: grilled eggs with caramelized onions and mushrooms, maybe even some spinach, and gouda or gruyere on an everything bagel. WANT.

What’s your ideal breakfast sandwich?

81 Responses to “Breakfast.”

lynn @ the actor's diet — June 25, 2011 @ 10:33 am

egg n cheese reminds me of growing up in NJ and grabbing sandwiches from delis when i lived in NYC. but now that i live in los angeles, it’s always the breakfast burrito! i like that you can stuff hashed browns in there….

• Jessica — June 25th, 2011 @ 10:34 am

oooooh I love breakfast burritos too!!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — June 25, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Everything bagel. Egg, omelet style with fresh herbs mixed in. Feta. Olives. Pesto. Cucumbers. Tomato. Yum.

• Jessica — June 25th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

That sounds so good.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 25, 2011 @ 10:38 am

As long as the breakfast sandwich has bacon in it, I’m game. It can be on a bagel, english muffin or burrito, but it MUST have bacon :)

Maris (in Good Taste) — June 25, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Looks like a delicious sandwich for any meal!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 25, 2011 @ 10:42 am

I like waffle sandwiches. You get the crunchy outside, doughy inside and you can fill it with sweet, savory or both! Feel better. I’m still trying to get over whatever funk I’ve contracted for the past two weeks! It sucks!

• Jessica — June 25th, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I almost put this on 2 waffles for him instead of the English muffin! I’m gonna do that next time. I hope you feel better too – I know you’ve had such a rough week.

Low — June 25, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Eggs, tons of cheese, veggies and hot sauce. Always hot sauce.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — June 25, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Taylor ham or bacon, eggs and lots of cheese on a New York bagel. Nothing better!!

• Drew — June 25th, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

I am now craving Taylor ham and will be having that for dinner!

Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo) — June 25, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I LOVE breakfast sandwiches. I love the eggs scramble slowly with butter and then topped with sharp white cheddar cheese. To die for!

Hannah at FleurDeLicious — June 25, 2011 @ 11:01 am

It’s all about the buttermilk biscuits! If you have a big, buttery, fluffy biscuit with that slightly salty crust on top, all you need are eggs and sharp cheddar cheese. I’ll admit I always put Morningstar farms veggie sausage on them (I’m sorry!!)…but I assume normal person sausage or bacon is just as fab.

• Jessica — June 25th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Why did I not even think about biscuits?! I am a biscuit freak. I think I love them more than bagels. And that’s saying a lot because I don’t even love bread!

• Megan — June 25th, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Morningstar Farms veggie sausage is the best thing ever :-)

Aimee @ShugarySweets — June 25, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Two slices of baked french toast with egg, cheese and bacon. Yum.

Stacie (Foodie2Shoes) — June 25, 2011 @ 11:09 am

I’m with you on the everything bagel! I like mine with swiss, bacon, tomato and a fried egg. I love the messy runny yolk! Your picture looks so delicious, I’m thinking about having breakfast twice today :)

Kath — June 25, 2011 @ 11:11 am

My ideal breakfast sandwich is pictured right here on your blog. Perfection! I want one right now!

ali darling — June 25, 2011 @ 11:17 am

i’m a long island, new york [go gay marriage!!] girl and let me tell you – if you are looking for a world class egg sandwich, long island is it. we do it on poppy seed rolls. mmhmm. 1 egg scrambled, bacon and cheese on a buttered roll with light ketchup – completely classic and very hard to screw up.

but! i was down south last summer [on tour with a friends band] and we were in… iowa maybe? or missouri? somewhere smack in the middle of the country and somewhere that didnt understand my request of .. a roll. a poppy seed roll. a soft on the inside, crispy and crunchy on the outside poppy seed roll. we were at a rest stop/diner/cracker barrel/somewhere that doesnt exist in new york. it was about 6am and we had been driving from kansas city, mo to nashville, tn. the waitress was sweet, but looked at me like i was crazy when i requested a roll..
    “a dinner roll?” she asked.
    “no, a poppy seed roll. like you get a lunch sandwich on,” i replied.
    “a hoagie roll?”
    “no, a poppy seed roll,” i said desperately. she had to understand what i meant. i needed my 1EBCK on a buttered roll. i have been in a van for 10 hours with 3 boys who have an affinity for ace of base. i.need.it.
    “i’m sorry little lady, but i just dont seem to know what youre talking about. how about a biscuit?”
    “its.. its ok.. a biscuit is fine,” i said defeated.
    well let me tell you! gosh darn, was it delicious. and different! the way the grease gets absorbed by the biscuit. mmhmm. that was the best meal i ate on that trip. [besides the thai food in kansas city.. but thats a whole other story.]
    good job, middle america! i’m proud of you!

• Lydia — June 25th, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

Just curious, which Thai restaurant in K.C.?

Jonessa — June 25, 2011 @ 11:17 am

We make breakfast sandwiches all the time. They are really good! I also love breakfast casseroles. I have a good cheesy hashbrown one and one with eggs, bisquick, cheese, and sausage. Both are awesome when feeding a crowd!

• ali darling — June 25th, 2011 @ 11:24 am

wow. that sounds soooo amazing! i may have to try it. throw some spinach in. mmmm.

Becky — June 25, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I love making omeletes with maple sausage, onions, red peppers, and cheddar – throw that on some bread and you’d be good to go!

I also make this sandwich all the time, and I have yet to decide if it’s a breakfast or a lunch sandwich. Toast wheat bread and spread with a tasty mustard of your choice and guacamole (or just sliced avocado). Layer ham and cheese (again, your choice) and top with a sunny side up egg. It’s incredibly messy in the best way – just don’t wear a nice shirt while you eat it.

Natalya — June 25, 2011 @ 11:34 am

I can’t remember what my favorite breakfast sandwich is anymore, I just want to eat the one in the picture. Yum. Sorry about the sinus infection!

dana @ my little celebration — June 25, 2011 @ 11:35 am

That’s exactly what I had for breakfast this morning, only with a side of grapefruit. So good!

Marelize — June 25, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Oooh I need to do this more often. I think a spinach-feta-egg and maybe bacon sandwich would be awesome! Hallelu!

Kat — June 25, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Sunday mornings we usually make eggs, ham and cheese sandwiches on an English muffin or a croissant. Those are my fav!!

Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks — June 25, 2011 @ 11:57 am

My mom has always made deli ham and egg on white toast. so good. and it has to be white toast.
    which reminds me, my grandmother has made ham and egg pie: slices of ham and egg layers completely enveloped in puff pastry crust. i’m drooling right now.

Wendy — June 25, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

Monti Cristo’s are my favorite… Turkey, ham and Swiss with two slices of French Toast dipped in maple syrup… Yummy!!

Candice — June 25, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I like my food pretty plain, so I just like egg and cheese… but I love it on a sundried tomato bagel. It adds this delicious tang.

Piper@GotItCookIt — June 25, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

English muffin, fried egg, chipotle butter (homemade) with pepper jack cheese! I love anything that can be called a breakfast sandwich, the possibilities are endless!

Megan — June 25, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Egg, either scrambled or over easy, salsa, veggie sausage patty, little bit of shredded cheddar-jack cheese on a whole wheat english muffin! (big protein sandwich!)

My new-let’s-mix-it-up is English Muffin (whole wheat!) with a light spread of raspberry jam, havarti cheese and egg… it sounds bizzare but absolutely delish!

Clare — June 25, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

gasp, no bacon?

Libby — June 25, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

i love my breakfast burritos! scrambled eggs, cheese, black beans, avocado, pico de gallo and bacon! so yummy!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 25, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

MMMM goudaaaaa….

My ideal breakfast sandwich would be sunny side up egg, with a jiggly yolk, gouda, strawberry jam, all on a whole wheat bagel. Perfectly grilled and gooey :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — June 25, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

One made by YOU!!!! You always have the best recipes!!! :)

Kim in MD — June 25, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

That sandwich looks incredible, Jessica…but did you say spinach? And, no bacon? Wow…you really are not feeling well, are you? ;-) I hope you feel better soon! :-)

Gen — June 25, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Yum!! We love breakfast sandwiches!!! One of my favorites has bacon, eggs scrambled in the bacon grease, veggies and cheese on some fresh bread from the nearby bakery!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 25, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

Jessica, I hope you feel better soon! That seriously stinks when you can’t taste anything, especially when you make a breakfast sandwich that looks so delicious.
    The one that you made is our typical fare, but with the addition of tomato. Now I’m going to have to add some sauteed spinach to it. Thanks for the idea!

Kristin — June 25, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

My ideal breakfast sandwich is a bagel with runny eggs and bacon – simple but delish!

Khushboo @ Two Megapixel Food — June 25, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

Although eggs are not a huge part of Indian breakfast, I looooove ‘em. I have an egg almost daily ‘cos me needs protein but my in laws never really make them, save for a quick dinner with egg curry or something. My husband doesn’t like cheese :( but again, I looove it! My favorite breakfast is a fried egg, sunny side up with toasted whole grain bread slathered with low fat cheese spread.

Marisa — June 25, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

BIG fan of an egg sandwich!! Egg, boiled then fried green pepper and cheese. mmm. Or Egg, caramelized onions, cheese and hot sauce. Or even what my boyfriend calls my “gourmet” one…eggs whites, pesto cheese, mozzarella cheese, and caramelized onions. OMG i’m hungry now. I heart eggs.

kristen — June 25, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

wow that looks incredible, i am a breakfast sandwhich lover myself. i am obsessed with any breakfast sandwhich with a sausage patty…love that sage taste!

Ellen — June 25, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

Smoked gouda, scrambled or hard fried egg, and bacon cooked crisp on homemade artisan bread or english muffin. SOOOOO YUMMY!!!

Robyn — June 25, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I love b-fast sandwiches too!
    Ham or Sausage, runny egg, sauteed mushrooms, onions and/or peppers on whole wheat.

alex — June 25, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

crazy…I just ate a great breakfast sandwich. best biscuit ever, with bacon egg and cheese….no not McDonald’s, cute new restaurant in town!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 25, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

Eggs with feta and spinach. A classic!

giordin — June 25, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

ok…this is going to sound weird, but i fell in love with breakfast sandwiches with jelly. and egg. yep. i think the best i’ve had is egg, crispy bacon, brie cheese, and raspberry jam. amazing. seriously…it sounds weird and gross, but its soooo good!!!

• Jessica — June 25th, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Not weird at all! I love that too!

Allison's Delicious Life — June 25, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Everything bagel, semi-drippy egg, spinach, and salty American cheese.

Lauren — June 25, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Lox, cream cheese, red onion, tomatoes, and capers…on an everything bagel. SOOOO good.

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — June 25, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

As long as there is some dippy eggs, melted cheese, and bacon…I’m good. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — June 25, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

I’ve pretty much had a sinus infection for about 2-3 weeks. It gets better, gets worse.

It’s a cold that lingered and we all pass it back and forth, preschool germs, and the cycle goes on and on.

I feel your pain. In the sinuses. Literally.

Trysha — June 25, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

English muffin, eggs, pepper bacon, provolone and avocado. And cilantro if I’m feeling fancy. ;)

Joanna (DrizzleofSunshine) — June 25, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

I love making breakfast sandwiches!! They are so simple and delicious!! I love using Pan de Sal which is a Filipino bread. Try it some time!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 25, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

holy breakfast sandwich. i’ve never had anything that exciting for breakfast!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — June 25, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

Homemade breakfast sandwiches are way better than anything you can get at a fast food place…but still the same compact breakfast fun.

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — June 25, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

Breakfast sandwiches are my kryptonite. Bready, cheesy, egg-y goodness. I buy 90-calorie everything bagel things by Tofouyan at Publix. They hit the spot for less calorie!

Katie — June 25, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

My dad used to make me eggs in a bell pepper slice then fill a whole wheat English muffin with spinach, bacon, and whatever kind of sliced cheese we had on hand (Swiss, American, cheddar). I’m drooling just imagining it.