I’m that girl.

You know. The one who eats alllll the cobbler topping? The one who leaves the soft and sometimes mushy fruit in the dish, then sticks it in the fridge for the next hopeful victim? THAT one.

Yeah. That’s me.

It’s rare that I even consider fruit for dessert, but when it’s caramelized and laced with sugar and topped with a fluffy pillow of buttery crust, it doesn’t take much convincing. I like it. I like it even better with ice cream. And fresh mint.

I know you probably haven’t noticed, but I’m a bit obsessive. Apparently it’s a Scorpio trait. I don’t know beans about astrology but according to my horoscopologist (read: my BFF), I am a Scorpio to a T.

So today I’m obsessed with strawberries, fresh mint, and vanilla bean ice cream that melts over a crunchy biscuit-like topping and soaks into the crust. Yesterday I was obsessed with cheese. Oh! And I’m really obsessed with these ice cream things I’ll tell you about later. Does this make it difficult for you to take me seriously? Probably.

Me thinks it would be a good idea to be obsessed with the treadmill.

Me also thinks that you should make this for the 4th of July. Use a cast iron skillet. It will make you feel all Southern and 1950s and stuff. It is the only cobbler topping I make these days. I’ve made it with strawberries and peaches, blackberries, and blueberries and strawberries. Festive right? Red and blue. Me thinks so.

Me thinks I’ll stop that now because that’s annoying.

Skillet Strawberry Cobblers

slightly adapted from simply recipes

serves 4-6

2 tablespoons butter

4 pints of strawberries

1 tablespoon white sugar

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/2 stick butter, softened and cut into cubes

1 cup buttermilk

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons butter, melted

vanilla ice cream for serving and fresh mint for garnish

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice strawberries – I slice a few in half, a few in quarters, and leave others whole for a variety. Toss with 1 tablespoon white sugar.

Heat a large cast iron skillet (I’m sure an oven-safe skillet would be okay too, it just needs to be large) over medium heat. Wait for 5 minutes until the entire skillet is hot, then add 2 tablespoons butter. Add strawberries and cook for 5-6 minutes to soften.

While strawberries are cooking, combine flour, baking soda and powder, salt and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a bowl and mix. Add in cubed butter and mix with a fork or your fingers until the butter is in smaller crumbles and strewn throughout the mix. Make a well in the center and pour in buttermilk. Add vanilla extract and stir until mixture comes together.

Turn off heat under strawberries. Spoon globs of dough on top of the strawberries, scattering them all around. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over top of dough. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn down heat to 375 and bake for 10-15 minutes more. Serve with vanilla ice cream and fresh mint.

I love fruit desserts now. They are so healthy!

144 Responses to “Skillet Strawberry Cobbler.”

Linn — July 1, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

Oh my god, that looks incredible! I want some to! :D

Dani — July 2, 2011 @ 12:14 am

You’ve got my mouth watering! I also wish I was obsessed with the treadmill, but seeing how that’s not happening anytime soon… I think I’ll just try this recipe as a substitute!

Winnie — July 10, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

Wow- that is a gorgeous cobbler! I make just about everything in my cast iron skillet…they are the best :)

Elle — July 12, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

this is my favorite way to make cobbler! It always comes out perfectly. (Getting through my over 300 stumbles–that Crazy Feta is quickly becoming an obsession…)

sophistimom — July 30, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

Your titles get me every time. Before I even see the pictures. Skillet Strawberry Cobbler?? It practically brought a tear to my eye.

Vicki — May 8, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

looks good

Lauren — July 16, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

Do you think you could sub out half&half or almond milk for the buttermilk? I just don’t want to buy buttermilk. Alternatively, do you think you could make it using half and half and a lime? My instincts say no but hey a girl can dream.

Ali — March 10, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

What size cast iron do you use for this cobbler?

Ali — March 11, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

Made this today (in a 12″ cast iron, btw). Really good but the cobbler part is lacking flavor and sweetness, imo. 4 T of sugar for the entire cobbler just isn’t enough. It NEEDS the ice cream and I prefer a cobbler that can stand on its own. Will likely make again but tweak it. :)

Stephanie Fagin — May 14, 2014 @ 10:16 am

You indicate that you need a “large” cast iron skillet. We have a 10″ skillet….is that big enough for the strawberry cobbler?

1. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is – recipes