I distinctly remember being 5 or 6 years old and my dad telling me that in the early mornings, the lake looks like glass and was completely still. Back then I wasn’t old enough to be setting alarms, but each time I’d wake up and see the lake looking like this it made my entire day. And I’d be so disappointed if I slept in.

It is so peaceful and just fills your day with serenity.

It may be difficult to appreciate unless you’ve been raised here – heck, the whole town may be hard to appreciate unless you’ve been raised here – but I purposely set my alarm super early every day because I’d rather see the lake looking like this than sleep the day away. Love!

35 Responses to “Like Glass.”

Dwiana — July 31, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Sun rise lighting is always gorgeous!

julia — July 31, 2011 @ 8:20 am

I remember my dad saying the same thing about the lake in the am. To this day a glassy lake reminds me of my dad, and those early morning getting out to go waterski.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 31, 2011 @ 8:22 am

I wake up early to watch the sun rise as well :)

Blog is the New Black — July 31, 2011 @ 8:24 am

Gorgeous picture! It’s nice to step back and appreciate nature sometimes! ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 31, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Jessica this is a beautiful post and sentiment! I love the stillness and calmness of water. It’s why I live where I live and own property where I do and have always lived near water since I was old enough to be able to live where I want. There is something so tranquil, so centering, so amazing for me….I could have written this post. But you did it much more eloquently :)

Three-Cookies — July 31, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Where is this lake? Looks amazing

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — July 31, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I love the calm peacefulness of the lake before everyone gets out there on their boats. In the early mornings when I was young I used to find my mom in a adirondack chair taking in the views of the perfectly calm lake. We would just sit there for a while in silence not saying a thing. But at a young age all I wanted to do was play in the water!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 31, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Looks gorgeous! I feel more serene just looking at the photo :)

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — July 31, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I feel so lucky to have been raised on one of the Great Lakes — Michigan truly is wonderful. :)

Cait's Plate — July 31, 2011 @ 9:07 am

It really is breathtaking. I’m hoping to catch a couple sunrise/sunsets in Vermont this week.

Kim in MD — July 31, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Wow…that is breathtaking! The lake does look like glass… I would wake up early to see that, too! :-)

Laura @ Special Treats — July 31, 2011 @ 9:21 am

So beautiful and peaceful! Love it. Once you are out of bed in the morning, getting up early is the best! I tend to waker up super early on vacation, odd, but you’ll get more hours of vacation that way :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — July 31, 2011 @ 9:26 am

This vacation looks totally amazing.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 31, 2011 @ 9:49 am

There’s something so beautiful and peaceful about rising so early in the morning.
    Enjoy your vacation, Jessica!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 31, 2011 @ 9:51 am

gorgeous. I know what you mean. we live by a lake and while we don’t ever wake up to it, when we get there early before all the boaters and jet-skiers are chopping up the water, it’s so peaceful and serene.

Kath — July 31, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Beautiful! I love the first morning light in the summer. It’s worth it to get up early to see it.

Erica — July 31, 2011 @ 10:04 am

So pretty :) Definitely worth the early wake up call

Melissa — July 31, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Having been raised in Michigan, I can definitely appreciate this. I think I appreciate it even more now that I’m not living there. It makes me homesick. Give the lake a hug for me today, will you?

Heather — July 31, 2011 @ 10:40 am

maybe i’m sappy.
    maybe i’m weird.
    maybe i’m just over emotional.
    I just teared up.
    yes. i’m serious.

DRINK IT IN, my friend.

Low — July 31, 2011 @ 10:55 am

I love that! I can totally understand why it means so much. Glad you’re having a great time!

Krystina — July 31, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Seeing a lake look like that is one of the most beautiful sights.

Anne Weber-Falk — July 31, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

Beautiful. We go to a cabin up north of Hayward, WI. The lake in the mornings is still and always quiet with mist hovering above and the loons calling. After a while the sun burns off the mist and shines on the water. This makes it look like there are diamonds on the lake. We just got back and now I want to return right now.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — July 31, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

I am heading to northern Michigan tomorrow and caaaann’t wait to see the lake like this every morning! Thanks for getting me even more excited for my trip. :-)

Carolyn Perkins (cousin) — July 31, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

I too never want to sleep when your in such a beautiful place & know the comfort of a Merchant/Speltz town. I hope you have a great time
    Greg, Heather & I were over @ sleeping bear dunes little over a week ago. That is great place to see & lots of great food too. Send everyone my love & Big hug to your Grandpa.

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 31, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Looks gorgeous! I love waking up early to appreciate nature!

Barbara Braun — July 31, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

The pictures are wonderful….I can’t make up my mind….. if the lake is more beautiful at night or in the still of the morning…and then you have the sunset…….I guess I would stay up late……get up early……and sleep all day…..enjoy, have fun, miss ya

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — July 31, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

oh my gosh. my family has a lakehouse about 40 min from my “real” house, and i know exactly what you mean. i posted a photo just before where the water is completely still like glass, and i absolutely love it. when its early and no one is awake yet, it is so peaceful to enjoy the beauty of it. i know how you feel about never wanting to leave!!

Alaina — July 31, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

I used to LOVE to get up early and see the pond all calm and serene. And then a loon would come in and disturb it. :-)

Sandy — August 1, 2011 @ 6:51 am

I grew up water skiing and loved that smooth as glass part of the day. Now I’m wishing for a house on a lake so that I could enjoy that every morning.

Kellie — August 1, 2011 @ 10:29 am

where do you vacation at??? looks beautiful

• Jessica — August 1st, 2011 @ 10:52 am

northern michigan!

Carissa — August 1, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Gorgeous! This also explains why when I read my morning tweets you were the last one to tweet at night and the first in the morning. :-)

amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma — August 1, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I’ve heard those words many times “the lake looks like glass” we always rented a lake house every year growing up…..it looks perfect!! I love to water ski…..and I love that glass – I always felt like I was gliding. I would run outside….”it’s glass”

Cassandra Early — August 1, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

I see those same great beautiful sunsets from my porch too! Only it is Lake Huron and the Mackinac Bridge that I see. It is a wonderful way to end the day and and count your blessing!

Amy — August 2, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

::sigh:: Jess, this post brought out such emotion for me. I grew up on Lake Michigan (Southwest MI), and I miss it everyday. I’m feeling such bliss and sadness at the same time right now. Hope your trip is amazing! Thanks for sharing!