I made you this fish because I have a feeeeeeling that somebody ate way too many cookies yesterday.

I just know these sorts of things. It’s like I’m inside your head. Or creepily peeking through your window. Hiiii.

But… I’m lying. I actually made this fish like five weeks ago before I went to the beach. But! It was all because I had a premonition that you would eat six too many cookies on July 13th and need something satisfying and good-for-da-waistline on July 14th. I love when life works out.

And I’m here to tell you something very important: Grilling food in cute little packets makes them eight times more exciting to eat. And bonus – barely any clean up! We all know that’s quite the priority for me. I’m currently finger-doodling hearts on my dusty coffee table while writing this post. I don’t even own a dust rag or dust bunny or dust feathers or whatever you call them. Problem.

So. Everything about this tilapia is a good idea. Unless, of course… you don’t like tilapia. In which case, I say you try it with thin-sliced chicken breast. Or just eat another cookie. Same thing.

I know how you feel. I’d rather eat something super delicious and rich and devoid of any nutritional value today too. But sometimes life throws you fish. Or you catch it. Whatever.

And pureed peaches + herbs give this fish a delicious tinge of sweetness piled on top of all it’s flaky layers. Just make sure to use a good peach. There isn’t much worse in the world besides a bad peach. Am I right or am I right? If I’m lucky, I get approximately 10 juicy, sweet peaches a season and the rest? Trash bin city. Mealy, flavorless… gross and heart breaking. I’m just telling you – sacrifice one or two of your perfect peaches this summer and slather them on some tilapia. Summer is the best.

Tilapia Peach Packets

makes 4 packets

4 tilapia filets

2 peaches, peeled and sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 medium red onion, sliced

In a food processor or blender, combine peaches, garlic, olive oil and parsley and blend until combined and pureed. Add tilapia filets to a baking dish or a ziplock bag and cover with puree. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 12-14 hours.

When ready to cook, heat the grill on the highest setting. Tear 4 squares of aluminum foil – mine were about 10 x 10 inches each. On the bottom of each pocket, lay 3-4 slices of red onion. Even if you don’t like onion this is a great way to flavor your fish! Remove tilapia from the marinade and lay each filet on top of the onion. Fold up the sides to close the packet and place on the grill onion side down. Grill for 10-12 minutes, or until fish is just flaky.

If you don’t want to use the grill, you can also do these in the oven – preheat to 425 degrees and bake in the packets for 12-15 minutes, or until the fish flakes. Serve with grilled asparagus and rice.

Since asparagus season is pretty much over, I hear this tilapia would be good with potatoes too!

89 Responses to “Tilapia Peach Packets.”

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 14, 2011 @ 7:04 am

What a great image to wake up to at 7:00 AM! Will this cooking method work with salmon or any other type of fish?

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 7:10 am

Yep, it should! Since salmon tends to be a bit thicker you may need to cook it longer.

Blog is the new black — July 14, 2011 @ 7:20 am

I heart foil packets! Can’t wait to try this recipe with chicken!

Erica — July 14, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Such a great idea! I’m totally trying this soon!! Probably with fish for the man and chicken for me.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — July 14, 2011 @ 7:28 am

I just had competition flashbacks with all that tilapia and asparagus going on up there. Although maybe if I had you to show me yummy ways to prepare tilapia back then I wouldn’t loathe it’s existence now. LOL

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Hahaha I didn’t even think about it, but you are right that this looks exactly like a competition meal! Guess I’m too far removed to think that anymore!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — July 14, 2011 @ 7:29 am

Cooking in foil packets like this is great. I once used a similar method for cooking crocodile fillets on our BBQ. How Australian does that sound?!

P.S. As you like cocktails so much Jessica, you may like the Pina Colada Cake that I made recently. Check it out…..and, if you like it, maybe vote for it in the competition I entered it in (the links are on my blog). Thanks!

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:48 am

That looks AMAZING!

Laura @ Meet Virginia — July 14, 2011 @ 7:30 am

When I first glanced at the title of this post, I read it as, “Peach Tilapia PANCAKES.” That might have been your strangest combo yet. ;) However, I’m sure you’d still manage to make it delicious!

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Hahah!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — July 14, 2011 @ 7:30 am

I don’t know if I make the sacrifice! I was just thinking about how I never ever use fresh peaches in anything, because it’s such a treat to get a good one that usually I just want to eat it plain! I wonder though if you could use thawed frozen peaches?

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:47 am

I’m sure you could!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 14, 2011 @ 7:39 am

ugh, i hate mealy peaches! but the good ones are totally worth it all…and yes i think i will use it on some tilapia this summer!

Anitra — July 14, 2011 @ 7:40 am

*puts the peach that i brought for lunch back into my lunch bag, as this will now be dinner accompanied by some baked treat for dessert*
    Thanks sheesh! LOL

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — July 14, 2011 @ 7:41 am

If I only had a grill, I’d want this recipe tonight! Silly fire safety laws….

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:47 am

You can do it in the oven!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 14, 2011 @ 7:41 am

I hear you on picking out bad peaches! They are either waaaaay too mushy or rock hard (and flavorless).

I love fruit salsa with fish so this sounds delicious to me!

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Mmm I love fruit salsa with fish too!

Cassie @ Back to Her Roots — July 14, 2011 @ 7:54 am

This looks pretty much like my dream meal. SWOON.

Kim in MD — July 14, 2011 @ 7:57 am

I have that same problem with peaches. The only peaches I really love are the ones I pick myself from a local orchard. Otherwise…blah! I would sacrifice a perfect peach for this recipe- it looks delicious, Jessica! :-)

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — July 14, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I totally agree about peaches! I feel like I am stats again… what is the likelihood of getting 1 good peach if you buys 5? haha. But when you do get a good peach, it blows your mind so you continue to buy all the gross ones in hopes of finding another awesome peach. And the cycle continues….haha.

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

This is so true.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 14, 2011 @ 8:14 am

Can only eat Tilapia and it sounds great with chicken- great dish!
    Thanks, Jessica!

Jess @ Bringing Up Baby — July 14, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Yummm! I’ve been flirting with the idea of grilling up some tilapia lately and this recipe just sealed the deal for me. Must grill tilapia immediately!

ally@girlVfood — July 14, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Oh, this looks lovely! I haven’t done a packet of fish in parchment/foil in a long time. Will definitely be trying this!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — July 14, 2011 @ 8:53 am

YAY, tilapia was the first fish I ever tried, and it is still one of my absolute favorites. I love that it’s so malleable and can be flavored in so many different ways–like this one! I have been stockpiling yummy ways to season/marinate fish, and this is definitely going on the list. Thanks! :)

kaceyt @ om&nom — July 14, 2011 @ 8:54 am

i just bought a 2 lb bag of tilapia yesterday–how perfect! now just to find some good peaches. they’re so hit or miss from the grocery store:(

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

I know. They need to be from a farmers market!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — July 14, 2011 @ 8:54 am

ASPARAGUS!!!!!!!!!!!

I like asparagus.

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

I can’t find any good asparagus here now! I like IN things, like risotto and stuff. Wish it was still in season.

• Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — July 14th, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Well, at least we don’t live in the olden days when the only time you could even get things at all was when they were in season. What deprived lives they must have led.

• Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — July 14th, 2011 @ 11:12 am

And I like it in stuff too. Like roasted with buttloads of parmesan cheese.

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 14, 2011 @ 9:16 am

This looks great! Such a creative way to flavor your fish!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 14, 2011 @ 9:19 am

The fish sounds so delicious! And yes, with potatos… and maybe with more cookies for dessert? ;) I pretty much ALWAYS cook things in tin foil, even if they’re in my oven becuase I hate scrubbing pans. Let’s just say that the pans that I have had to wash look very “well seasoned”. :P Have a great day Jess!

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Mine too! My pans are a mess.

WenDee Riffe — July 14, 2011 @ 9:20 am

mmm~~these look so good and healthy!! i think that i will make the cookies instead!!!LOL!!!

Bev Weidner — July 14, 2011 @ 9:40 am

I am so in love with tilapia it’s not even funny. That said, I’m all over this baby.
    Speaking of peaches, I HEAR YOU. I just made a grilled peach salad that screams from the mountain tops, “IT’S SUUUMMER IN CASE YOU’VE NOT NOOOOOTICEEEDDDD!”

Katie Webster — July 14, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Jess, you crack me up! Not only that, this looks so delicious:) I love talapia. And the fact that the fish won’t stick to the grill. Brilliant!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 14, 2011 @ 9:45 am

Tin foil packets are a cooks best tool. I line any baking sheet with tin foil whenever I can simply for the ease of cleanup!
    Love this recipe, I bet the peach gives the normally boring tilapia some good flavor.

Lisa | Life in Green — July 14, 2011 @ 9:55 am

It’s official. I drool over every single thing you make.

Kelley @ Just Call Me Jack — July 14, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Ooo wonderful!

Yes, eating too many cookies happens all too often….

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — July 14, 2011 @ 10:12 am

Just grilled some fish up for last nights dinner :) …and it even involved peach!

Carissa — July 14, 2011 @ 10:13 am

Love the peach idea! I’ve been eating them like they’re going out of style. We have some growing on 2 trees in our yard, but so far, none are ripe. I can’t wait!

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:44 am

Jealous!

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo — July 14, 2011 @ 10:19 am

These looks scrumptious! I make fish in a packet all the time, but usually I use parchment and cook the veggies chopped inside with it (Like this: http://yellebellyboo.blogspot.com/2011/05/salmon-and-veggies-in-parchment-packet.html ). I love that you made a sauce on top, I’d never thing to do that unless I was grilling it… and fish and peaches make a perfect summer match!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — July 14, 2011 @ 10:20 am

I have tilapia in the freezer that I really need to use up! Foil=easy clean-up= happy Jodi.

Amy Persechini — July 14, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Sounds wonderful. But I think when I make this dish I will swap out the parsley for fresh cilantro.

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I think that will be delish. I love cilantro.

Amanda — July 14, 2011 @ 10:54 am

This looks so yummy! And bonus I can have everything that is in it! Perhaps it will be on the list to make next week….

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 14, 2011 @ 10:56 am

This looks delicious! I used to make fresh fish in packs like this all time many years ago, but completely forgot that they existed. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll have to give this one a try :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — July 14, 2011 @ 11:05 am

I love fish packets! That sounds weird…
    Packets of fish?
    I don’t know. But I love them! They’re seriously so quick and easy to make. One of the best meals I’ve ever had was in Mexico on a little island eating fish & lobster we caught on a fishing trip that day. Threw the fish in a foil packet with some tomato and lemon and that’s it! So amazing

The Teenage Taste — July 14, 2011 @ 11:14 am

I love making food in foil packets. I usually use the grill, but I have heard that it works just as well in the dishwasher. Seriously! I’ve never tried it, but apparently you just double wrap the fish (or chicken) in foil (to make sure it doesn’t get wet!) and put it in the dishwasher on the normal cycle with dirty dishes and everything.

Ashley — July 14, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Wow…peaches!! Excellent idea! I used to love grilling or baking fish in foil packs like that. Still waiting for Colorado peaches to come into season over here!!!

cailen — July 14, 2011 @ 11:28 am

that looks phenomenal. i love cooking fish “en papillote”! it always turns out so tender and moist. yum! i have some fresh peaches that need to be used asap – i think i might have some inspiration now.

cheers!
    cailen

Jenny T. — July 14, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Holy! You seriously just put my three favorite foods in one dish. 1. Fish 2. Fruit 3. Asparagus
    Sigh. Heaven. Heaven. Glorious Heaven!!

By the way – baking fish in the oven always leaves a “lovely” lingering fish odor in my home for much longer than I appreciate it being there. It overstays its welcome so to speak. Is there a way to make sure that doesn’t happen? Or am I asking the impossible here?

• Jenny T. — July 14th, 2011 @ 11:47 am

if I choose to bake it rather than grill it that is..

Eileen — July 14, 2011 @ 11:55 am

This looks great! I am not a huge fish fan, but this makes me want to eat fish more often! I will definitely be making these packets this weekend along with your roasted potatoes :) Do you think I could use mangos in place of the peaches?

Heather @ girlyeverafter — July 14, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

I’m a huge advocate of foil when cooking. Cleaning up is for the birds;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 14, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Looks great and I love that it’s all contained in foil…makes cleanup wayyyy easier!

Kathleen — July 14, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

This looks ah-mazing!!!

Becca — July 14, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

I need a nap. I read this title as “tilapia peach pancakes” and thought, okay, now Jessica has gone overboard! Will have to try this, the recipe sounds fabulous.

Katrina — July 14, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

What a dinner! Great idea, the peach is such a nice addition!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — July 14, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

I love how you make so many dishes with fish–one of my faves :) Are you a sushi or sashimi eater?

Jennifer — July 14, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

I definitely ate too many cookies yesterday!!! Thanks for the recipe though. Yum Yum!!

Cait's Plate — July 14, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

This looks so good. I love cooking fish that way and definitely don’t do it often enough. Thanks for reminding me ;)

Ann Claire — July 14, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

Yum! and eating this just means we can eat more cookies when we’re done, right? :)

1. Pingback: Tilapia Peach Packets | What's Cooking In My Kitchen