eat freshly caught fish +

french fries with malt vinegar +

ice cream +

beer for dinner.

I'm

never

coming

home.

Oh wait! Yes I am.

Because this needs to be in my house.

Tomorrow I’m going to attempt to not be super lazy and pick up my DSLR. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: photography is not a passion of mine; in fact I find it quite burdensome to drag a heavy camera with me everywhere. [Plus it doesn't fit in my cute purses.] But I think I’ll regret it if I don’t get a few gorgeous shots… and who are we kidding? Instagram is not exactly improving my photography skills.

Happy Friday!

35 Responses to “You Know You’re On Vacation When You…”

Jayne @ Meat-Eating Military Man — July 29, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

Happy vacation! Love this post. So fun! I understand about the DSLR. I feel same way, especially when on vacation. Worse, my camera bag is a huge, dorky case that looks like a lunchbox. Really. Looking like a tourist and someone who is toting lunch around is not the look I strive for. :) Anyway, enjoy vacation! :)

VeggieGirl — July 29, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

I want that ice cream! And that ocean view.

Good luck getting the DSLR! And please, your photography is impeccable.

Sarah — July 29, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

looks so beautiful… and I agree, the big camera can be cumbersome… BUT you can always accessorize with a cute strap like the ones from PhatStraps.com! I love mine!

Mandy B — July 29, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

Isn’t Michigan great!!!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 29, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: photography is not a passion of mine; in fact I find it quite burdensome to drag a heavy camera with me everywhere.”

HAH! The funny thing is, for someone without a passion for it, your photographs are some of the best on the food blogging circuit, day in, day out! I mean really girl, you DO shine with your photographs and looking at your from 2 yrs ago til now…it’s just amazing how far you’ve come for someone without the natural passion for it.

I am the opposite..thought photographs didnt matter, even *resisted* getting better and then one day…it just hit me. I love it!

HAVE FUN on your trip!

And IG is just plain fun. I was at the MAC store, the Mac computer store, and Vic Secret today and was in full force w/ the IG pics :)

Dana — July 29, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

So jealous! I haven’t been able to get up to Boyne yet this year :( Enjoy your vacation!!

Rach — July 29, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Ah, and these are the reasons we love vacation so much! :)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — July 29, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

THESE are beautiful! :) But, if you don’t use your DSLR, you may regret it. You’re right…. This looks wonderful! Enjoy your vacation!!! :)

Katie — July 29, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I need that ice cream cone in my possession right this second. Eat another one for me tomorrow!

Mindy — July 29, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

I LOVE Malt Vinegar on my fries and everyone around here looks at me like I’m insane! I’m guessing it isn’t big in Indiana. Super Yum!

Dominique — July 29, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

I forgot my dad’s DSLR while spending the weekend at the cottage. I regretted not making the trip back home after work to pick it up because everything was so gorgeous. Instagram is great in a pinch, but nothing beats a real camera.

Have a fun vacay. I can’t wait to see what you do with the bacon spread :)

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — July 30, 2011 @ 12:47 am

I’m on vacation this weekend too! I’m think I could handle this for like, eternity or something.

little — July 30, 2011 @ 2:32 am

mmm that ice cream looked yummy.

love, little.

Rachel — July 30, 2011 @ 4:01 am

Your photos look amazing – I can’t wait to see more when you get back!

MelissaNibbles — July 30, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Looks beautiful!

Please post real pictures! These instathingys everyone has are driving me insane!

• Jessica — July 30th, 2011 @ 7:21 am

They are much more convenient and I love the photography effects – it’s a pain lugging around a 15 pound DSLR.

• MelissaNibbles — July 30th, 2011 @ 7:24 am

I think it looks cool, but I’m not a fan of people using them in EVERY SINGLE BLOG post. Especially food photography. The effects makes food look like crap. Just my opinion though. Which is EVERYTHING!

• Jessica — July 30th, 2011 @ 7:27 am

I would never take my real food/recipe photos on my main page with it!

• MelissaNibbles — July 30th, 2011 @ 7:27 am

That’s because you’re awesome.

Amy @ ElephantEats — July 30, 2011 @ 7:26 am

Awesome pics! Looks like you’re having a great time. It’s def worth it to lug that heavy camera around for memories :)

Cait's Plate — July 30, 2011 @ 7:55 am

I’m actually totally shocked photography isn’t a passion of your because you’re incredible at it. I always think how beautiful your photos are and think “how can I get mine to look so good?!”

• Jessica — July 30th, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Aw thank you! If I’m being honest I have to say I actually think it’s a huge pain in the ass and almost dread every time I pick up a camera! Not even joking.

• Cait's Plate — July 30th, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Haha – maybe that’s where I’m going wrong! I will try to hate it more and see if it help! ;)

Liz O. — July 30, 2011 @ 10:07 am

I just got back from Michigan and I already miss it sooo much. Our place is on Elk Lake and it was absolutely perfect the entire time I was there!

Kim in MD — July 30, 2011 @ 11:22 am

I love this post, but I have to agree with MelissaNibbles- these photos can’t be compared to your DSLR. photos. That said, I am thrilled to see that you are having fun on vacation, and so glad that you are coming home eventually! ;-)

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — July 30, 2011 @ 11:56 am

But instagram sure is fun. :) I’m such a crazy person around sunsets–I can take 100 photos of the same sunset. I just can’t help it. I think the phone photos look great!

Karly — July 30, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Enjoy your trip! As a souvenir, I’ll take some of that bacon skillet spread stuff. ;)

Noelle — July 30, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

I am waving back to you from the bottom of the mitten. I know how gorgeous it is. I was there with my mom, almost a month ago now. Have a great time!

Ann — July 31, 2011 @ 11:16 am

I ended up looking at these backwards….your photos are incredible. Both with your point-and-shoot and your DSLR. I wouldn’t want to leave, either….but I’m curious to see what you do with the bacon spread. With luck – being a sweets blogger – it may involve caramel – YUM!

Roxana GreenGirl — July 31, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

that ice-cream cone deserves a thumb up on Stumble! I want Ice-cream!!!

Leigh — July 31, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

I’m so excited that someone else puts vinegar on their french fries! I wasn’t sure if it was just a Maine thing :)

Julie Ann — July 31, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Is that Kilwin’s ice cream?? I grew up in Michigan and I’m so happy to see you featuring the simple pleasures of “Pure Michigan” on your blog. Northern Michigan is truly God’ country. Love your blog and beautiful photos, cheers!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — August 2, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

I’d like to go on vacation…and to eat ice cream…and drink beer…and eat fried food. Mmm fried food.

William Sullivan — August 4, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Looks like you had an amazing time. I’ve always wanted to go on vacation and then just decided to stay there forever. Maybe one day….

Gina (Yogattude) — August 4, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

I grew up in Cheboygan, MI…but live in Seattle…and that is where the Skillet bacon spread comes from!!! It is still on my must try list!