I have cookie moods.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Occasionally, I crave a paper thin cookie – the only kind my dad really likes – when I’m aching for dessert with a raging sweet tooth that just won’t quit. Other days, when I’m reaching for comfort and sometimes feel like eating my emotions, I look for the perfectly thick, chewy cookie, still gooey from the oven, plucked from it’s baking sheet in pieces because I lack patience. And on a rare occurrence, I want to find my cookie inside of things: ice cream, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and bars… to which I will inevitably pick out each piece of cookie so precisely that it appears they were surgically removed by a world class surgeon. A dessert surgeon, that is.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

This temperamental relationship I share with cookies proves just what a lunatic I am when it comes to food. I can find a time, a place, a day, or an event for any food in wild variation. In fact… my heart sort of bursts when I come across something new and delicious (uh… skillet bacon jam anyone? don’t worry, I bought two jars… just incase.) or rediscover something I once loved and typically burned myself out on. The excitement consumes me and makes me feel alive, vibrant and eager to try new things. Except for broccoli. Broccoli makes me feel dirty, used and generally unkept. Like I need a shower and a $90 exfoliator.

Bizarre?

Now you know.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

After scrubbing the kitchen floor last week on my hands and knees, pretending to clean the bathrooms but really just touching up the spots that everyone see, being extensively domestic and cooking four dinners in a row, I was craving three things. I doubted I was lucky enough to receive a free, live-in maid or a lobotomy, but I knew I could make cookies happen. Cookies are magic. And I wanted the chewy cookies. The fat ones. The comfort ones. The ones that practically beg your to steal them from their cooling rack on the counter. The cookies whose crumbs and broken pieces are happily calorie free and always find a way to jump into your mouth.  Sneaky sneaky.

So… I made cookies. Not just any cookies. Peanut butter + chocolate cookies. You know… only the best combination to ever grace this planet. It’s evident that chocolate and peanut butter were meant to be together when it’s a marriage that you discovered yourself – not from the local cupcake bakery or a store-bought treat, not inherited from your mom or your grandma – found in the comfort of your own kitchen by means of a spoon, an economy-sized jar of Jif and a half used bag of 6-month old chocolate chips. Sponsored by your first broken heart and aversion to any nourishment other than what could be found in the Cheez-It box.

Many words came to mind with my first bite: warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth delicious, ecstasy… but before I recount a trashy romance novel for you, I gotta tell you this: they were puffy. Fat, fluffy, puffy, chewy cookies. That is what’s UP. Delicious, decadent and stuffed with peanut butter. You totally deserve this.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

adapted from the giant rainbow cookies

makes about 18 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled

6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

P.S. I won’t tell if you want to sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on top. I hear it’s the thing to do.

289 Responses to “Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips.”

Erin — May 21, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

I was just wondering – when you say “cool” the butter – do you mean let it come to room temperature, or let it re-solidify in the fridge?

• Bridget — October 12th, 2013 @ 9:32 am

Yes, I think that is what she means just so you do not scramble the eggs when you combine the ingredients.

Rebecca Wong — June 11, 2013 @ 12:46 am

I made these cookies the other day, and they were delicious! However I found that they took much longer than 10-12 minutes to bake. I eventually turned the oven up to 350 and suggest baking it closer to 20 minutes. Otherwise, they were very tasty!

Kelly — June 22, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

I doubled the batch and still ended up with WAY more than 18 cookies. I also had to cook mine for 17 minutes. It didn’t seem to be enough chocolate chips as original called for, so I doubled them. Even could use a little more sugar! They turned out very nice and fluffy.

Sophie — August 31, 2013 @ 6:41 pm

it’s the perfect cookie! If I make them bigger do I have to bake them longer?

Christina — September 2, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

I had a BIG, big craving for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies so I started my search for a recipe that was sure to be delicious AND wouldn’t take long to make (there is NO way I could have waited while dough chilled in the fridge!).

So I chose this recipe.

I am so glad I did.

These cookies are easy and out of this world delicious.

I used natural peanut butter (only one I had on hand) and I was a little nervous they would spread too much, but they stayed puffy! After melting the butter and peanut butter together, I “cheated” and placed the bowl in the fridge to speed up the cooling process and then cracked the eggs into a bowl. The eggs and butter/peanut butter mixture were ready at the same time :)

Thank you for such a great recipe! xoxo

Malik — April 8, 2014 @ 4:49 am

Is there a way to do this without the peanut butter? I’m allergic to all nuts but would like to do a plain puffy chocolate chip version. If i just drop the peanut butter do I have to substitute that ingredient for something else. Maybe up the amount of flour? Looks great.

Corina — April 29, 2014 @ 3:57 am

These look fantastic – thick chewy and a bit gooey.

sri suwarniati — August 18, 2014 @ 1:48 am

saya sangat berterima kasih dengan resep yang begitu menarik enak kelihatanya nanti kalo sudah saya membuatnya baru saya akan beri kometarnya karena untuk rasa mungkin agak berbeda dengan lidah orang asia umumnya.terima kasih.

Caitlin — November 21, 2014 @ 9:29 am

I have been meaning to comment here for months.

I have made these cookies literally dozens of times, they are a staple in my house. I have the recipe memorized. These are by far the best puffy peanut butter cookies I have been able to find anywhere, so I want people reading to know just how awesome and perfect they are.

I have made them under all sorts of conditions–some batches have turned out better than others, but at this point I have each element down to a science to guarantee they come out perfect every time.

Warm eggs! Put them in a bowl of hot water. Makes a difference.

I personally melt the butter separately and add the peanut butter to it later, so the peanut butter will melt but it helps cool the butter down. I have found that it’s really not a big deal if the butter/peanut butter temp is a little warm. I stick it in the freezer while I prep other stuff to help it get cooler. Mixing it with the sugars will also further cool it down, particularly if you put your mixing bowl in the fridge beforehand.

It might be altitude or my crappy old oven, but I cook them for closer to 14 minutes. Maybe it’s just personal preference.

Thank you for posting this recipe. It’s amazing.

1 3 4 5

1. Pingback: PB and Chocolate Chips | From Scratch: Baking

2. Pingback: New Green Monster and Celebrations | mycleverendeavors

3. Pingback: Birthday Bites | Eat.Write.Love.

4. Pingback: Early Morning Challenges | Sweet Tooth Sweet Life

5. Pingback: Sweet things! Cookies and cupcakes! « internet charlotte

6. Pingback: Love In The Wine | Bouquets & BJs

7. Pingback: Weekend Shenanigans « Wild, Not Wise

8. Pingback: Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies | Ventures and Variations

9. Pingback: Blog Bites II « Healthy Food For Living

10. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips | finding a new life through food.

11. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | Fresh Eating

12. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips « Bake Me Famous

13. Pingback: Fluffy Peanut Butter Cookies

14. Pingback: White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Candied Bacon « thebitesizedbaker

16. Pingback: Thick, Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | The Whimsical Cupcake

17. Pingback: super soft peanut butter cookies « christina's kitchen..

18. Pingback: Peanut Butter Apology Cookies | In the Kitchen with Brody

19. Pingback: Ciasteczka z masłem orzechowym i czekoladą « Kuchnia Smakoszy - Przepisy, zdjęcia na pyszne wypieki :)

20. Pingback: (Jewish) New Year Recap!

21. Pingback: puffy peanut butter triple chip cookies | Sweet Dreaming

22. Pingback: sunday baking | account of a girl

23. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chunk Cookies « Just Everyday Me

24. Pingback: Surgery Vacation, Good Intentions & A Cookie | Tickled Pink Cakery Blog

25. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chunk Cookies

26. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies « Purely Consumed

27. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Peanut Butter M&M candies

28. Pingback: The Novice Chef » Peanut Butter Cream’wiches

29. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies « Kristine's Kitchen

30. Pingback: Peanut Butta Time! « Beautiful Disasters

31. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Nonpareil Peanut Butter Cookies | CulinaryChat

32. Pingback: WIAW #3 | runninglatemolls

33. Pingback: Peanut Butter Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies | After the Ivy League

34. Pingback: Life to the Full · The Return of Routine

35. Pingback: Soft and Fluffy Fall Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | Grand Adventure

36. Pingback: Just a little baking… | confessionsofamultitasker

37. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips: Day 12 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies « oh so decadent

38. Pingback: Sometimes. | Persnickety Hall

39. Pingback: New Favorite (Shareable) Cookies - Mymsn5 Today

40. Pingback: The Culinary Couple » Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

41. Pingback: Reading Lives: Too Many Cooks | JollyLibrarian

42. Pingback: Peanut Butter Reese’s Cookies | sparecake

43. Pingback: peanut butter chocolate chip cookies | Sweet Mint

44. Pingback: Bake: Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

45. Pingback: Peanut Butter Skillet Cookie Sundae. | pinmeplease

46. Pingback: Meg's Food! » Soft and Puffy Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

47. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips | Love to be in the Kitchen

48. Pingback: schtuff i like | celibateinthecity