I have cookie moods.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Occasionally, I crave a paper thin cookie – the only kind my dad really likes – when I’m aching for dessert with a raging sweet tooth that just won’t quit. Other days, when I’m reaching for comfort and sometimes feel like eating my emotions, I look for the perfectly thick, chewy cookie, still gooey from the oven, plucked from it’s baking sheet in pieces because I lack patience. And on a rare occurrence, I want to find my cookie inside of things: ice cream, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and bars… to which I will inevitably pick out each piece of cookie so precisely that it appears they were surgically removed by a world class surgeon. A dessert surgeon, that is.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

This temperamental relationship I share with cookies proves just what a lunatic I am when it comes to food. I can find a time, a place, a day, or an event for any food in wild variation. In fact… my heart sort of bursts when I come across something new and delicious (uh… skillet bacon jam anyone? don’t worry, I bought two jars… just incase.) or rediscover something I once loved and typically burned myself out on. The excitement consumes me and makes me feel alive, vibrant and eager to try new things. Except for broccoli. Broccoli makes me feel dirty, used and generally unkept. Like I need a shower and a $90 exfoliator.

Bizarre?

Now you know.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

After scrubbing the kitchen floor last week on my hands and knees, pretending to clean the bathrooms but really just touching up the spots that everyone see, being extensively domestic and cooking four dinners in a row, I was craving three things. I doubted I was lucky enough to receive a free, live-in maid or a lobotomy, but I knew I could make cookies happen. Cookies are magic. And I wanted the chewy cookies. The fat ones. The comfort ones. The ones that practically beg your to steal them from their cooling rack on the counter. The cookies whose crumbs and broken pieces are happily calorie free and always find a way to jump into your mouth.  Sneaky sneaky.

So… I made cookies. Not just any cookies. Peanut butter + chocolate cookies. You know… only the best combination to ever grace this planet. It’s evident that chocolate and peanut butter were meant to be together when it’s a marriage that you discovered yourself – not from the local cupcake bakery or a store-bought treat, not inherited from your mom or your grandma – found in the comfort of your own kitchen by means of a spoon, an economy-sized jar of Jif and a half used bag of 6-month old chocolate chips. Sponsored by your first broken heart and aversion to any nourishment other than what could be found in the Cheez-It box.

Many words came to mind with my first bite: warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth delicious, ecstasy… but before I recount a trashy romance novel for you, I gotta tell you this: they were puffy. Fat, fluffy, puffy, chewy cookies. That is what’s UP. Delicious, decadent and stuffed with peanut butter. You totally deserve this.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

adapted from the giant rainbow cookies

makes about 18 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled

6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

P.S. I won’t tell if you want to sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on top. I hear it’s the thing to do.

290 Responses to “Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips.”

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — August 2, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

I want these. Now.

Molly @ RDexposed — August 2, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

I absolutely love it when brown sugar keeps its mold when I dump into into the bowl!

Hannah — August 2, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Hey!
    When you use sugar- do you prefer raw or white?

Even though I have to be up at 5:30 AM tomorrow to catch a flight to the Sunshine Coast…I want to make these tonight…!

xoxo

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — August 2, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Oh dear. Why must you do this to me?

I like how you put “Let cool completely” in the recipe…as if that’s possible with something like these.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — August 2, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

ummmm do you deliver??? yes, please?

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — August 2, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

It sure is the thing to do! Yum I live sea salt on my sweets. These look great Jessica!

Dwiana — August 2, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

I would like to have some of those please… never get tired of chocolate chips:)

Katie — August 2, 2011 @ 10:40 pm

I always “clean” the bathrooms by touching up the bad parts, too. Mostly sweeping up dog hair off the floor and wiping down the sink. Now you know…if you ever come to my house.

I’m highly impressionable, so I think a puffy cookie looks perfect right now, too. But if you had made a flat cookie – I think that would be perfect as well.

Jennknee — August 2, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Have you done it yet again? Why yes. Yes I believe you have.

what katie's baking — August 2, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

i’m an emotional eater, too!
    these look awesome…sea salt on the top would definitely top it off.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — August 3, 2011 @ 1:03 am

These cookies look so incredibly fat and puffy! I love it!

Sanjeeta kk — August 3, 2011 @ 4:50 am

How gorgeous and tempting the cookies are! Love the crispy crust and the chocolate chips in it.

Christina — August 3, 2011 @ 7:40 am

Not only do I love your recipes but your pictures !!! Awesome !!

Jen S. — August 3, 2011 @ 8:58 am

I made these yesterday on a whim. While drinking wine and blaring Pandora. Completely fine. :) They were so yummy! I ate 3 and then pawned them off on my roommate and her boyfriend. Loved this recipe!

Adrian — August 3, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Made these last night and they are fantastic, plus they were super easy to make!! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy reading your blog.

kaethe — August 3, 2011 @ 10:35 am

these look so puffy and amazeeeeeeee-zing.

Jessica — August 3, 2011 @ 10:56 am

So, I made these cookies last night. Then I went for a little bike ride and fell off my bike and cut open my chin. Ten stitches later, I came home and was SO GLAD that these turned out exactly like you described them. :) Soft and chewy.

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Ah! So sorry you got hurt. :(

CouponClippingCook — August 3, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Wow do these cookies ever look good! The picture of them is so great I can almost taste them.

Tina — August 3, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

holy smokes… these look SOOO good. I could so go for one of these babies right. this. second.

Krista — August 3, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

I made these last night, and they were a hit! How would you adapt this recipe to be just a chocolate chip cookie? I love peanut butter, but I have been searching high and low for a recipe that makes puffy, fat, gooey, delicous chocolate chip cookies!

• Krista — August 4th, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

Nevermind, I just realized that this recipe is adapted from your rainbow cookie recipe. I guess I was too hopped up on sugar from eating the pb cookies!

Julia — August 3, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

I made these using the same baking technique as the giant rainbow cookies and they came out AMAZING. They are seriously the best cookies I have ever had. The giant rainbow cookies come in 2nd.

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

Oh my gosh REALLY?!? I tried them twice using that technique and the cookies never quite came together! Maybe 3rd times a charm?

Barbara — August 3, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

I just made this recipe – it was great. The cookies came out chewy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. My kids loved them. One question… What is the reasoning behind melting the butter & peanut butter and bringing the eggs to room temp? Sorry if this shows my level of baking ignorance :)

betty — August 4, 2011 @ 12:08 am

oh yum these look delicious :)

boramigrace — August 4, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I made these last night with my stepdaughter and they turned out fabulous! Thanks so much for the great recipe. By the way, I am a brand new fan of your blog. I love love love everything about it and enjoy opening my email to find a new post each morning! Looking forward to cooking more of your creations :)
    boramigrace

Shanna — August 4, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

I am in love with these. In fact for my “cheat” meal on Friday I am making 3 of your recipes. The bbq chicken burgers with caramelized onions, the crunchy baked onion rings and these. I think I may eat more cookies than I should but I am ok with that. Life is too short to just eat one cookie at a time. I also think I could make a cookbook out of all of your recipes since I have so many printed out. I really love your blog/recipes!!!

Alexis — August 4, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

My sister made these as my birthday present! Best. Present. Ever. Hands down.

Dee at Deelicous Sweets — August 4, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

Wow, these look amazing! I am bookmarking this one for sure! My FIL will flip over these when I hand him a big box for X-mas :)

Shelley — August 5, 2011 @ 1:31 am

Hi, I love your blog of course and was wondering what makes the cookies so fluffy? Is it the baking soda? I’ve always wanted to make really fluffy cookies but never understood how people made them.
    Shelley

Stephanie — August 5, 2011 @ 9:44 am

I made these last night and brought them into work today. They are earning some RAVE reviews! They are amazing! It’s so hard to find a soft peanut butter cookie! Delish! I used a combo of semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips. And, I agree with you….chocolate and peanut butter, much like potatoes and ranch dressing (to me), is a match made in heaven!!!!

Loving your blog!

Steph

Kristen — August 5, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Just wanted to tell you that I plan to make these (hopefully) this weekend. If I do, I’ll be sure to link back to your website, and I’ll try to put a pic up on your facebook page. Thanks for the awesome looking recipe!! :)

Veronica @ Café con Leche — August 5, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

omgggg! I made these last night and am still practically drooling! i used crunchy pb because it was all i had on hand it the cookies were still amazing with little crunchy nut pieces in them (normally i dont like nuts in my cookies). i also used milk choco chips to make them extra decadent. the cookie is so gooey!!!! this recipe is DEF a keeeper!!!!! thanks jessica!!!

Vicki — August 5, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

Do you think premaking the dough will affect the fluffiness or anything else for these or the Giant Rainbow Cookies (ie the day before you bake them)??? Thanks!

• Jessica — August 5th, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

I’m honestly not sure because I haven’t tried it. But the original recipe calls for the dough to be made and then immediately baked… but you’re welcome to try!

Jackie — August 5, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

I made these last night with mini PB cups instead of chocolate chips. Oh my GOD, are they ever delicious! They puffed up gorgeously. My husband took one bite, his eyes rolled back in his head, and he nodded emphatically, saying that THESE are the perfect PB cookie. :)

These will be made again and again in our house.

I got exactly 18 cookies using an Oxo large cookie scoop.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 6, 2011 @ 2:31 am

Those cookies look fantastic – I love soft cookies best.

Salvador Dali — August 7, 2011 @ 7:02 am

I make this cake yesterday and i love it! ;D This is great, delicious idea! MMm… ;)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — August 7, 2011 @ 8:42 am

I need to make these. Stat.

Kisha — August 7, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Just made these cookies and they are wonderful. My husband and nephew really loved them. Thanks Jessica for a great recipe.

Emily Black — August 7, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

I just made these and they were absolutely delicious! Your blog is now a permanent fixture on my favorites. Thanks for sharing all these yummy recipes. Next up is the tilapia…

Andrea — August 7, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

This is HEAVEN!! Thanks

Lauren — August 9, 2011 @ 9:07 am

I made these cookies and I LOVED them! Thanks for the great recipe!

alex — August 10, 2011 @ 7:07 am

my brain is actually tricking me into thinking i can smell these already :/

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

Michelle — August 10, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

GREAT recipe! The hubby will be very pleased :)

Rachel — August 11, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

I made these and they turned out every bit as good as they look in the pictures! I tried to make them slightly healthier by reducing the butter to 5 tablespoons and the white sugar to 1/8th cup. I added about 2 tablespoons of milk as you recommended. They still had wonderful texture and taste! Delicious! I’m also a huge fan of your rainbow cookie recipe that you adapted to make this one.

trina @ best salad recipes — August 12, 2011 @ 10:56 am

What a fabulous recipe!! Your beautiful photos really show off, makes my mouth watering. will surely try to cook this cookies. thanks for sharing! ;-)

best chocolate recipes — August 12, 2011 @ 10:58 am

Stunning photos!! Looks so yummy and delicious! Definitely on my ‘must try’ list..thanks for sharing your wonderful creations. :)

b — August 14, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

pb cookie

Kristen — August 18, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

My friend posted this pic on FB today…I am making them TODAY as they look so delicious!!!!! Thank you!

staci — August 22, 2011 @ 10:26 am

This sounds amazing and since my little girl’s first day of second grade is today, I may just have to make these for her . . . and of course, me. Thanks for sharing!!

Tessa — August 22, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Holy. Cow. That’s all I can say.

Natalie — August 22, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

How long do these cookies last?