Cool people put salt on their cookies.

Salted Mudslide Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Really! I swear. It’s not scary.

Be a cool person. Because cool people also put booze in their cookies. Yessss.

Salted Mudslide Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Mudslides were one of those drinks that I thought were insanely cool when I was 13 or 14 years old. I probably hadn’t even drank a cup of coffee at that point, but I had quite a few licks of coffee ice cream and maaaaybe even a few sneaky sips of Baileys on the rocks come holidays. I was well aware of the magic marriage between coffee and chocolate.

A few summers ago at the beach, my uncle started blending mudslides one afternoon, changing up the typical bourbon/rum punch flow of the day. Mother Lovett – who rarely strayed from her bourbon + ginger ale – started to feel left out and decided that she too wanted a mudslide. But she didn’t ask for a mudslide. She asked for a mudslinger.

[You know... kind of like the time she thought Obama's name was "Omaha" for two weeks and asked every Sunday if we could take a quick stop at "Louie's" to looks at flowers. Lowes. It's LOWES!]

Salted Mudslide Cookies I howsweeteats.com

So Mother Lovett, mudslinger in hand,  got her drank on while sitting approximately 5 inches from the big screen TV so she could adequately hear Dr. Phil while the rest of us sat at the pool drinking, reading, and being occasionally obnoxious.

By the time we came back up to our condos to get ready for dinner… she was MIA. Couldn’t find her anywhere! It was only after we turned down the blaring TV that we heard snoring and unexpectedly found her passed out, face-up, mudslinger glass in hand on her bed. Someone made those mudslingers a little strong…

Now I can’t ever drink a mudslide without thinking of Mother Lovett drunk as a skunk. And the fact that I put salt on my cookies most likely has her rolling in her grave. She definitely wouldn’t be down with this trend.

But it’s 2011 people! Times are a’changing. Put some bacon in your cupcakes, some salt on your cookies. Trash it all up a little. It tastes good. You won’t hate it.

Salted Mudslide Cookies I howsweeteats.com

While on vacation two weeks ago, my mom and I spotted giant salted mudslide cookies inside a bakery case in the cutest little general store. And boy… were they giant. I’m talking like the size of my head. Unfortunately chocolate was the last thing on my mind as I had successfully consumed my second salted caramel gelato of the day mere minutes before, but I tucked the idea away safely in the back of my mind. I can’t do my dang multiplication tables but I sure can remember what recipes I want to create.

I topped these cookies with sea salt flakes that I also found while on vacation. I had only been looking for sea salt flakes for oh… four years or something like that. Flakes my friends… not crystals or little chunks. And why order them online? I’d rather pay triple for it on vacation in a cute little foodie store. So that there I did.

And while I’m telling you what to do? Use chocolate chunks instead of chips. See that gooeyness down there? Chunks. Do it.

Salted Mudslide Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Salted Mudslide Cookies

adapted from the giant rainbow cookies

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 cup dark cocoa powder

3 tablespoons instant coffee powder

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter, melted and cooled for 10-15 minutes

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 cup coffee liqueur + 1 teaspoon (Godiva, Kahlua, etc)

1 cup chocolate chunks

sea salt for topping

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour, cocoa, coffee powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the melted butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Stream in coffee liqueur and mix. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. If you find you absolutely need more liquid add in a teaspoon of coffee liqueur, but it should come together. Fold in the chocolate chunks. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.

Remove dough from the fridge and roll into golfball sized balls. Set on a non-stick baking sheet with 2 inches between each. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set and the middles are still soft. The centers should be puffy. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool completely then dig in!

Salted Mudslide Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Can I have another?

186 Responses to “Salted Mudslide Cookies.”

Elle — August 19, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

I’ve been looking for sea salt flakes, too! Guess I’ll have to break down and get them online. Along with a cart full of other stuff. These are fabulous!

Deb — August 19, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

This sounds great! But you really should try some Himalayan pink salt. I get mine from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com. The flavor is so much better than regular salt! Thanks for sharing this recipe—I can’t wait to try it!

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — August 19, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Salt on cookies? Sounds interesting. I do like the chocolate coming out. :)

leslie — August 19, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Ohhhh good GOD…these are like lick the plate and fingers delicious looking! I love putting salt on my cookies (oh and alcohol)

marla {family fresh cooking} — August 19, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Love these gooey chocolate cookies! The sea salt adds the perfect touch :)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — August 19, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Glad to know I’m cool–I almost always add a a little salt to the top of cookies. :)

These look sensational.

sippitysup — August 20, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

This is a home run in every way. GREG

Lauren — August 20, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

Just started following your blog and I love it. If I wanted to make the dough for these cookies on a Wednesday (and refrigerate) and then bake them on a Friday would that be fine?

bridget {bake at 350} — August 20, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Looks absolutely delectable! And the SALT!!! Yum!

I think I would have liked Mother Lovett! ;)

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — August 20, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

Love chocolate…and sea salt. Yes….amazing!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — August 21, 2011 @ 9:22 am

These look so good! Salt on cookies is so delicious!

Melissa — August 21, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

I made a double batch of these cookies yesterday for my friend’s party; they were AWESOME and soooo delicious! They were a little less Kaluha-y they I thought they would be when cooked.. so I think next time I’m definitely going to pair these with a white russian… mmm!
    Thanks again for a great recipe!

Erica — August 22, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

omg. salt+chocolate=heaven.

Blair — August 24, 2011 @ 12:55 am

What did I need more or less of to get the cookies to look shiny and crackly like yours? Mine just look…fluffy?

Julia — August 27, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Hi Jessica,

I tried your mudslide cookies and they were delicious!
    I only changed a few things for myself.
    But feel free to check out my blog, where I posted your recipe:

Best wishes,

Julia

Marie — September 6, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

While doing some evening recipe perusing (baking nerd, much?) – as if by fate – I stumbled up on this recipe. I’m a little late to the party but let me say, WOW! Holy mother of all chocolate cookies! I love ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies as much as the next person but double chocolate cookies are my ultimate guilty pleasure. Thank you for posting these! I bake cookies all the time (confession: this usually results from a cookie dough, not cookie, craving) and these are next on my list. Weekend, get here already!

Ashley @PeaceLoveYumminess — December 4, 2011 @ 11:13 am

I have these at the top of my holiday cookie list and cannot wait to make these. AMAZING!

Julia — December 10, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

I made these for the second time today with one intentional modification. I used seasonal Peppermint Mocha Kahlua instead of the plain stuff. All signs were pointing to delicious, until I ran out of flour and and had to use 1/4 whole wheat flour to have enough. Now I’m waiting to see whether or not the whole wheat ruined them.

Amber — December 25, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Oh these look amazing!!! “Mudslingers” are my absolute favorite! Can’t wait to try these babies out!!

lourdes — December 28, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

I love mudslide cookies, especially the first time i tried them during a cruise more than 4 years ago, and have tried to look for similar recipes in the web to no avail. I’m glad i found it through your website! My only concern is, I’m not too fond of liqueurs.. what can i use to substitute them? :)

Jackie — January 12, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

I need to make these STAT. I am obsessed with all things chocolate and OBSESSED with putting sea salt on my cookies… yummmm

Barbara | Creative Culinary — October 25, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

Umm…yumm!!

Tanya — November 21, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

Hey! i tried these like a week ago, and i loved them! the salty flavor was incredible! but, there is only this ‘but’..it’s just that the first day, like fresh from the oven they were really ok, and soft and all, but the next day some of them were a little hard … is that normal? is there a way to make them softer? or probably i just baked them wrong?
    thanks for the recipe!!

• Abby — December 14th, 2012 @ 11:41 pm

That’s normal for most cookies. Try putting a slice of bread in the bag when you store them. It usually makes a big difference by adding moisture!

christina @ oven adventures — November 29, 2012 @ 12:43 am

where have these been all my life?

Marisa — December 10, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

YUM! I made these yesterday and they were amazing – what a great combo of flavors! Did you use dark or light brown sugar? Also, mine came out a little puffy and didn’t seem to get to a “cookie shape” like yours. Did I underbake? Thanks for the recipe!

Chloe — December 14, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Is it a stick of butter or a 1/2 cup? A stick = 1/4 cup. Could be the difference in why it is crumbly! I’m about to make these. They look amazing!

Chloe — December 14, 2012 @ 10:00 am

A stick is a 1/4 pound! My bad, this dough is delish

Jessica — December 15, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

How many cookies does the recipe make?

Jess — December 21, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

Made these last night and they are amazing. Better when they are completely cooled – salt is perfect. Love, love, love!!

Mike Madden — February 18, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

OMG, I’m going to try those at my bakery! Thank so much for sharing!

bOBBI — February 23, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

These cookies are delightful!!!

robinlexi — June 6, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Hey there can this be adapted to include DARK chocolate? I would love this with dark chocolate!

Hannah — October 27, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

I love the texture of these. They were chewy with a crackly little top. But I could really taste the booze so I’d probably just replace it with coffee next time. Will definitely make these again!

Allie | Baking a Moment — December 17, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

I made these last night (adapted slightly) and added peppermint chips. Oh my sweet lord! This is a phenomenal recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it! :D :D :D

1. Pingback: Easy Beer Mac and Cheese | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Salted Mudslide Cookies « Let's Spice Things Up in Vegas

11. Pingback: Cookie Tuesday « Fire Breathing Kayla

12. Pingback: YUMMY THINGS No.1 « JIMMY BUFFALO

13. Pingback: “The [Mudslide] brought me down…” | Tramplingrose

14. Pingback: Friday Favorites « MollyontheRun

15. Pingback: 40 Fabulous Cookies - Something Swanky

16. Pingback: This Weeks Delish!

17. Pingback: Salted Mudslide Cookies « Fleur-De-Licious

18. Pingback: Dance Party Chronicles | Just another WordPress site

19. Pingback: Online Bake Sale for Sam’s Fund

20. Pingback: Irish Cream Double Chocolate Mocha Cookies | Kitchen Cures

21. Pingback: salted mudslide cookies | Manchego's Kitchen

22. Pingback: Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies {Holiday Cookie Swap} | Teaspoon

23. Pingback: Salted Mudslide Cookies - Can Cook, Will Travel

24. Pingback: More Luscious Links for Curious Quaintrelles - November 2013

25. Pingback: Award Winning Cookies (With Recipes) | Gags Area

26. Pingback: 10 Award Winning Cookies That Will Give You Multiple Mouthgasms (With Recipes) | EpicDash

27. Pingback: OMG! These Award Winning Cookies Make Us Weak In The Knees! | UnMotivating

28. Pingback: OMGZ : A PIECE of TOAST // Lifestyle + Fashion Blog // Dallas