Can’t believe I almost forgot to tell you about this general tso’s chicken. Where is my brain?

General Tso's Chicken Recipe I howsweeteats.com

General Tso's Chicken Recipe I howsweeteats.com

General Tso's Chicken Recipe I howsweeteats.com

General Tso's Chicken Recipe I howsweeteats.com

General Tso's Chicken Recipe I howsweeteats.com

It’s our new favorite chicken dish. Our new favorite dinner. It’s much lower in sugar than any other homemade general tso’s I’ve tried. It’s the only way I was able to stick a piece of broccoli in my mouth… covered in delicious sauce. It’s a party in your mouth, seriously.

I am in love.

You can find the recipe on the Tasty Kitchen blog. Let me know what you think!

78 Responses to “General Tso’s Chicken.”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — September 3, 2011 @ 7:55 am

I know you’ve mentioned that Mr Sweet LOVES his chicken like this from Trader Joe’s. Looks like you figured out how to make it at home…and totally make it even more amazing looking than the TJs version!

• Brittany — September 5th, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I was about to comment something similar. Isaac loves the orange chicken from TJ’s and this looks very similar. I’ll have to make it for him!!

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy — September 3, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I love this idea of homemade General Tso’s! It is always so good at the Chinese place, but I just cannot bring myself to order it with all of its mystery ingredients, salt, fat, and sugar.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — September 3, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I definitely want to make this! General Tso’s chicken is one of my top favorite chinese foods.

cate — September 3, 2011 @ 8:00 am

I made this last night because I saw it on the Tasty Kitchen blog! It was awesome! Definitely a keeper. Thank you!

• Jessica — September 3rd, 2011 @ 8:15 am

That’s awesome! So glad you liked it.

Rodzilla — September 3, 2011 @ 8:03 am

That looks awesome. I usually think of General Tsos as breaded, but I’ve been meaning to try velveting chicken, this may be the recipe I use.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — September 3, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I usually stay away from General Tso’s chicken because of the high sugar content, but this might just be my lucky recipe.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — September 3, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Oooh, maybe i’ll try making a tofu version!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — September 3, 2011 @ 8:12 am

nice! That’s precisely why I avoid takeout Chinese food – the nutrition stats…good to have this one for when I’m craving it!

Kacey — September 3, 2011 @ 8:12 am

This looks awesome. I like the trader joe’s general tso’s bottled sauce, but this looks a million times better!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — September 3, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Wonderful! I can’t stand when the chicken is too sweet. It’s like eating dessert for dinner.
    Jessica, I was SO excited to read your reply to my grilled cheese comment yesterday!!!! I have found my pickle sister!!!!!! One day we’ll meet for lunch. I’ll bring the grilled cheeses, you bring the pickle juice! ;-)

• Jessica — September 3rd, 2011 @ 8:30 am

I’m in! :)

Erica — September 3, 2011 @ 8:41 am

That looks authentic! I bet the man went crazy for it!

The Teenage Taste — September 3, 2011 @ 8:46 am

General Tso’s chicken is one of my weaknesses! Every time I go out for Chinese that’s what I order. I’ll definitely be making this soon! :-D

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 3, 2011 @ 9:13 am

This is Tony’s favorite dish to eat when we go to Chinese restaurants! I’m definitely making this one for him! It looks amazing!

Lori — September 3, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Holy cow, that looks good!!! I can’t wait to try it.

Alaina — September 3, 2011 @ 10:17 am

I love General Tso’s chicken!! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — September 3, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Oh man, I love me some general tso’s chicken!! Definitely making this.

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign — September 3, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Mmmm I love this stuff at restaurants. The real question, however, is who the heck is General Tso….?

Kaitlyn — September 3, 2011 @ 10:35 am

can’t wait to try this one!! (um I feel I say this after every thing you post, or at least think it!) general tso’s chicken was the only chinese food I would eat growing up. Not that we ate chinese a lot, but it still holds a special place in my heart and can’t wait to recreate it!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen — September 3, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Ohhhh – this is perfect. Love the General. :)

Bev Weidner — September 3, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Yeah, I’d have zero problems Tso-ing my face with this.

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — September 3, 2011 @ 11:31 am

That looks AWESOME! I can’t wait to make it. Who needs takeout?

Michelle Torres — September 3, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Thank you for sharing this, I made this for dinner a few nights ago, and me and my little girl’s absolutely loved it!!!!!! I will defiantely make this again when My husband gets home from Iraq! Have a great weekend!

Lindsay @ biking before bed — September 3, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

My boyfriend is always requesting Asian dishes. I’ll have to add this into the rotation. Loves man friendly:)

Kristy @ Sweet Treats and More — September 3, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Oh how I want general tsos chicken right now! Looks better than the general tsos at my fav Chinese restaurant!

Molly @ RDexposed — September 3, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Way to add that broccoli..or is it just a lot of garnish? ;)

Theresa — September 3, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

So maybe Ive been living under a rock, but I dont know what General Tso’s chicken is. Is it like a sweet & sour sauce?

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — September 3, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I can’t believe I almost didn’t have this recipe in my life!! I can’t wait to try this!

Eileen — September 3, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

I love General Tso’s Chicken and have been wanting to make it for myself at home. This is the perfect recipe :)

Katrina — September 3, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Woo! What a great recipe!

Juju @ Get Fit with Juju — September 3, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

I’m going to have to check out this recipe, since hubby and I love ordering take out, and being that it’s lower in sugar, sounds FANTASTIC! thanks =]

Jeanne — September 3, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

I made this tonight and it was amazing! I don’t like ordering Chinese takeout because it’s so greasy, but this was perfect. Thanks!

fittingbackin — September 3, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Great pictures – i’m sold! Trying it asap – thank you!

Mariah — September 3, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

Any food that is “a party in your mouth” is definitely worth trying! Super excited, thanks for sharing!

kimberly — September 3, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

i LOVE ur blog and am sooo happy that i found it! thank u for your sense of humor, the lovely pictures and the well thought out recipes. keep up the fabulous work :)

janetha @ meals & moves — September 3, 2011 @ 11:58 pm

drool.

Darnell Burrows — September 4, 2011 @ 12:56 am

I LOVE home cooked Chinese food! I will be making very soon! Thank you so much for the photos and recipe! Looks so delicious……

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — September 4, 2011 @ 1:36 am

Broccoli on How Sweet It Is? *GASP* F’real though – I would eat a shoe if it was covered in General Tso’s sauce. Would you judge me if I just ate a bowl of it with a tiny scoop of rice?

Brittany — September 4, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Looking forward to reading your blog! That chicken looks amazing! :)

Kim of Mo'Betta — September 4, 2011 @ 8:09 am

This looks fab-u-lous!! I wonder if it would be any good with baked chicken instead of fried? I know, leave it to me to screw up a perfectly good recipe :P

shelly (cookies and cups) — September 4, 2011 @ 8:43 am

Just wrote down the ingredients from tasty kitchen and am making for dinner tomorrow!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 4, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Not sure where your brain was or mine for that matter. Love the chicken girl!

Liz J — September 4, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Oooo…love general tsos and would love a great recipe!! Thanks for sharing!

Ashley@BakerbyNature — September 4, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

I once attempted this after one too many cocktails and ended up with a very messy kitchen, teary eyes, and a disaster I had to toss in the bin…
    You did such a wonderful job; i’m inspired to try again.

Baking Serendipity — September 4, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

I just said to my husband, “you need to see this blog. I’m obsessed with everything on it.” And his favorite food is your latest post! Seriously. He’s reading now too I think. And making this for dinner :) Thank you!

Sarah@TheCyclist'sWife — September 5, 2011 @ 1:31 am

Curious, have you ever tried using grape seed oil instead of canola? I noticed the TJ’s bottle of soy sauce in your photos – they sell it there. Grape seed (I’m told by my scientist husband) has healthier fats than canola….as the cook I like it because it fries really nice, less greasy than most oils. This looks good, can’t wait to try it!

Steph @ Running in the Kitchen — September 5, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I made this last night. It was a hit!

Maria — September 5, 2011 @ 8:51 am

I am not a huge lover of General Tso’s because it is often too sweet but my boyfriend loves it so I definitely have to try your version. Your blog impresses me more and more each day :)

Julie — September 5, 2011 @ 11:41 am

I think this looks better than take-away!

Ann — September 5, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

I love General Tso’s chicken….this looks amazing and your pictures are incredible!

Tammy — September 5, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

Just got done making/eating this… it’s really good. It was easy to make except for all the dishes/pots but I followed the recipe except I used coconut oil to fry the chicken and it was perfect. Oh and I added cilantro/Chinese parsley. It was fun to make something different. Thanks.

1. Pingback: Missed Summer Meals « Eating Abroad