I swore that I wouldn’t do this.

I didn’t want to buy a doughnut pan.

I didn’t want to bake doughnuts.

I especially didn’t want to bake doughnuts and post them on my blog.

I reallllly didn’t want to succumb to the doughnut pan trend.

I didn’t want to do something that I didn’t want to do.

You can see how well that all worked out. Obviously.

But seriously, I didn’t want to bake doughnuts when, let’s be real… they are pretty perfect all on their own after a big bath in the fryer. And they come out with a somewhat funky shape that looks like a doughnut but isn’t a real doughnut. See above.

And while we are on this topic, is it “doughnut” or “donut?” Is it maybe only “donut” because Dunkin’ Donuts says so? I like “donut” better but that’s simply because I’m lazy and would rather not type out an extra “ugh.” Truth!

So, remember when Ashley brought me those doughnuts last week? Yeah. The day after that I had to pack for a trip and work on a few recipes and do a bunch of other stuff that I normally do, but instead of that I drove over an hour just to buy a doughnut pan. Oh and that place didn’t even have a doughnut pan. So I had to drive somewhere else.

Then instead of doing all of the work I was supposed to do, I made about six batches of doughnuts. I took them to my parent’s house that night where they were promptly demolished. Then the next day, the morning of the day we were leaving for our trip, when I should have been doing laundry/cleaning/packing/showering/working, I made two more big batches of doughnuts to take as road trip snacks.

I was all excited and junk because now not only had I decided that I really loved doughnuts, but Mr. How Sweet already loved them. I mean… loved. I figured he’d be pumped. Until he came home from the airport that morning and relayed his breakfast and “power” snacks consisting of one jumbo blueberry muffin, one Cinnabon bun and two Krispy Kremes.

Anyway.

All I could think about on our trip was doughnuts. I wanted to make more and wanted to experiment and wanted to bake a billion apple cider doughnuts and live on them alone. But there were two very specific flavors that I couldn’t get out of my mind; two flavors that were really gnawing at my brain: mint chocolate chip and red velvet.

Mint chocolate chip was my number one choice, but someone in this house hates the chocolate + mint combo. And given my doughnut fixation, I did not think it would be wise to bake a large batch of doughnuts for me, myself and I. Apparently… doughnuts do not an everyday dinner make. Uh… who makes the rules here?

So. Instead of doing anything important last week, I baked red velvet doughnuts. I’m a total sellout. They were way too good not to share, and the good news is that I already own a deep fryer. Fried doughnuts coming up next! Me and the treadmill are BFF’s.

Baked Red Velvet Cake Doughnuts

[adapted from the doughnut recipe of the back of the Wilton pan]

makes 10-12 standard-sized doughnuts

1 cup cake flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/3 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1/3 cup buttermilk + 1 tablespoon

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon red food coloring (I used “no taste red” gel)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking powder, then mix with a spoon. Add in buttermilk and egg, mixing to combine. Stir in butter. In a small bowl, mix baking soda and vinegar together, then add in vanilla. Add the mixture to the doughnut batter, then stir in red food coloring. Using a pastry bag or spoon (I found a spoon was easier since this batter is more cake-like) fill each doughnut mold 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 7-8 minutes, thne let cool for 5 minutes before removing.

Notes: I tried these with all-purpose flour and while they did work, they weren’t nearly as cakey as the ones made with cake flour. Also, depending on your red food coloring brand, you may want to add it gradually and go by the color of the batter to determine the amount to add.

Whipped Cream Cheese Glaze

1/4 cup whipped cream cheese, at room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup powdered sugar

4-5 tablespoons heavy cream, or more depending on texture

In a bowl, whisk cream cheese vigorously until it smoothes out. Add in sugar, vanilla and cream one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly. This glaze will be a bit thicker (almost like a thin frosting), so add more or less cream depending on your desired consistency. Either dip doughnuts or frost them with a small spoon, then cover in sprinkles or shaved chocolate.

P.S. The whipped cream cheese glaze will make you overdose. Just sayin’.

349 Responses to “Baked Red Velvet Cake Doughnuts.”

etudiant.icn-groupe.fr — June 27, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

There is lots of ordinary and temporary car insurance you will find
    in the U. If your driving record is clean, your
    costs will remain low. If you are looking to evaluate rates on car
    insurance policies for the first time, you
    can also use a comparison site to help you find the best rates.

Crawl Me — June 27, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

ll always have surprises and uncertainties,
    good or bad there in our lives. Cheap health insurance:
    Are your aware of the things you have to do
    in order to make huge savings without compromising
    the quality of coverage you get. The Delaware Healthy
    Children Program provides for pregnant women and children who can’t qualify for Medicaid.

cheap car insurance bradford — July 2, 2013 @ 5:58 am

Simply wish to say your article is as amazing.
    The clearness in your post is just excellent and i can assume you
    are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me
    to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

http://ug-4y.com/blog/userinfo.php?uid=5248 — July 2, 2013 @ 11:47 am

obviously like your website but you have to test
    the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth on the other hand I will certainly come again again.

compare home insurance price — July 2, 2013 @ 7:27 pm

Helpful information. Fortunate me I found your website by
    accident, and I’m shocked why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

Pretty! This has been a really wonderful article.
    Many thanks for providing this info.

Hello! This is my first visit to your blog!

We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new
    project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us
    beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!

Salvatore — July 9, 2013 @ 6:57 pm

Of course, when your pet is healthy you are thinking you don’t need pet insurance, but a serious illness or accident could be right around the corner. Depending on the amount of income you earn from the business, you may only have to pay federal unemployment once at the end of each year. Just a really brief search will reveal that affordable premiums will get you a great deal on health care insurance coverage which happens to be an increasing sector presently.

cheap car insurance firms — July 10, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

If you enter a car accident and you do not have any insurance, you could finish upwards in a fate of trouble.

Modest family vehicles that score high in safety ratings usually get lower quotes.
    Quoting low mileage may sometimes have you consider taking public transport.

best home insurance companies uk — July 11, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

These basic risks will however vary from one
    geographical location to the other and especially when it comes to places
    that are prone to things such as earthquakes and floods.
    Secondly, you want to know your coverage will be for Loss of Use.
    Instead, what you can do is log on to the internet for the best deals.

check website backlink checker — August 2, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

A few posts on forums, a few blog comments, one or two articles with signature links etc.
    I am going to give you a list of all of the free SEO tools that you will ever need
    – This is the kind of information that the people selling SEO products
    don’t want you to know. There are choices that let you exclude the inner hyperlinks coming from identical domain or subdomain.

tmsatennis.com — August 3, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

We stumbled over here different web page and thought I
    may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to finding out about your web page yet again.

cheap car Insurance search — August 5, 2013 @ 7:42 am

You need to take part in a contest for one of the best sites on
    the net. I will highly recommend this web site!

cheap car insurance uk young drivers — August 6, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

You should take part in a contest for one of the finest websites on the web.

I am going to recommend this blog!

cheap car insurance uk car insurance — August 6, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be what precisely I’m
    looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome weblog!

cheap car insurance uk car insurance — August 6, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one!

It’s on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

cheap car insurance uk young drivers — August 7, 2013 @ 1:52 am

I am not certain the place you are getting your information, but great topic.

I must spend a while finding out much more or figuring out more.

Thanks for great information I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.

How to Check your inbound links — August 7, 2013 @ 5:28 am

To avoid duplication, you can write a different description for each directory.
    A business you are legitimately connected with will
    already have your information, and won’t need you to give them your entire life story again. We’re not responsible for any charges accrued
    from using this method.

Cheap Car Insurance Uk For Women — August 7, 2013 @ 5:32 am

This excellent website definitely has all of the info I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

Thesoulfactory.com — August 7, 2013 @ 11:42 am

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

xtreme link analyzer — August 7, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

You do not require developer’s API such as others plugin to post RSS Feed to Web 2. A backlink can be defined as a procedure in which a visitor reaches your websites’ pages when he clicks on your website link given on some other website.
    From there, you can generate a posting that could say
    a thing like, “Here are some content articles we think you will get pleasure from,” at the end of a post
    related to the material area.

cheap car insurance fully comprehensive — August 8, 2013 @ 10:11 am

Great post.

car insurance for new drivwers — August 30, 2013 @ 7:04 am

In so many cases, it becomes a real headache if a car which has an accident with yours is not insured, or the driver is not insured to drive that particular vehicle.

Drivers who pay their monthly bill to their auto insurance
    often wonder why the cost of auto insurance is
    so high. We would be remiss if we didn’t offer you some bonus tips in
    our one-stop guide to buying, owning and insuring a car, right.

car insurance for women over 25 — August 31, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

That’s why some websites offer personalized quotes to show you all of
    the packages and help you choose the right one for you.
    Other ways of getting discounts are adding a teen as an additional driver,
    instead of setting up an independent insurance policy and paying in full.
    in this list business real estate and auto industry
    are on the top rated.

get a health insurance quote now — September 1, 2013 @ 5:22 am

If your spouse or domestic partner has group medical insurance coverage available via
    his or her place of employment, you might be able to take advantage of his or her next open enrollment period.

With all major insurance providers now having an online presence, you can not only get home insurance quotes
    from several providers but also purchase the policy without getting up from your armchair.
    Installing high-tech security features in your vehicle is a great idea to impress insurance companies.

health insurance quotes online compare — September 4, 2013 @ 5:14 am

There are a few differences that should be looked at, between the health insurance Ohio plans today and those that will be available through the exchange.

Time Insurance – basic coverage available in 18 states.
    With the advent of technology it is now possible to get instant health
    insurance quotes without any extra hazards.

low cost health insurance quotes — September 4, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

If the insurance company cancels the policy, you have the right to a written notice that
    contains the reasons for the cancellation or perhaps termination of the agreement.
    Try to obtain as much information as possible about
    the different health plans each insurance provider offers so
    you can accurately compare the plans to each other.

Actually, to take the mystery out of the credit,
    just call the IRS and ask them to explain it to you and offer the official IRS
    representative your scenario’because their scenarios are
    usually not the average business.

cheapest car insurance uk for young drivers — September 10, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

Within a few secs, you will certainmly obtain vehicle insurance coverage prices quote as
    each your necessities and by suppoirt of the contrast websites one
    can contrast or contrast all the insurance coverage prices quote even without any kind
    of sort of difficulties. In return, the insurance company agrees to pay for certain expenses associated with an
    accident or otherr covered losses. Choosing a lower deductible will increase your monthly
    payment, but minimize your out-of-pocket coss in
    case of an accident.

xrea.com — September 12, 2013 @ 4:08 am

(A little aside: thhe bst time to look ffor insurance is before you move to a
    new place. Some insurajce policies even include coverage ffor flowers, digging and filling the burial plot.
    Supervising of a personal cctv camera system can oftentimes be
    done by cellular phone, notebook, plus additional hand-held electrical goods and by TV.

Private health Insurance family — September 14, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I aoso spend about the same amount on the right muyltiple andd two or three other supplements.
    So, the insurance company provides a different
    rate for each employee, based on the age of that employee.
    Moreover, even more concerning is tthe fact that as many as 20% of the total population of Arizona is completely uninsured.

Charis — September 22, 2013 @ 6:19 am

‘ Do your homework: Many people set their carand homeowners insurance and forget about it resulting in needless extra money being
    spent year after year. Just be sure to ask your agent prior to deciding to make your final decision on which system you’re
    going to buy because some systems do not be entitled to the highest deduction on thhe insurance.
    But you may run into language problems if you aree not fluent in the language of that country,
    and the last thing you want too be doing is ssigning a legal copntract in a
    foreign language.

cheap home insurance quotes online — September 23, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

t grasp what the long run hass future for you; it’s a wise step to
    be ready for unforeseen circumstances. David Thomson is
    Chief Executive of Best – Deal – Insurance ( an independent specialist broker dedicated to providing their clients with the best deal on their home, motor
    and life insurance. The amount of offer will usually vary between 1 & 5 million pounds.

health insurance pre existing conditions — September 24, 2013 @ 1:32 am

Thiis type of insurance covers a number of areas that travelers need to bbe fakiliar with in order to have a trip free of healthcare worries and tto protect their travel investment.
    To be eligible for Arkansas health insurance aan applicant should to meet certain
    eligibility criteria. The provisoons of the law will not take effect
    unless you renew your current insurance contract, purchase a new insurance plan, or if your insjrance compoany amends your current
    plan.

online health insurance Quotes for children — September 24, 2013 @ 6:11 am

But New York’s rates will remain far higher than they are in other states.
    A few dollars here and there may not seem like much now, but multiply the
    number of extra dry cleaning items by the number of weeks you have smoked and you will not be too
    pleased with the answer. The significant function of a California class health and fitness insurance policies is to ensure
    that the top quality costs compensated by the member inside
    the team are reduced to a considerable extent.

compare health insurance reviews — September 25, 2013 @ 5:25 am

It is important thqt you have adequate health insurance, especialkly as
    you get older, and having Medicare alone may not be enough as your health issues
    increase. Be aware of the health sitiation andd pre-existing medical conditions
    of your parents before seecting the Visitor Insurance for
    Parents. Doctors who participate in a PPO network
    have their names, contact information and medical specialties listed
    in a network directory.

landlords property insurance — September 30, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

Sharing was taken to an extreme to the extent that all my friends were required to be myy brother’s friend.

They also provide valuable services such as
    credit reports and other applicant screenings. Buy To Let insurance and get
    instant online quotes and covers online.

Navarrets.com — October 2, 2013 @ 10:08 am

There are masny online insurance firms that offer you the cheapest SR22 Insurance quotes for
    free. Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500 it payss when your car was designed for its towing capabilities rather
    than its might on racing games. Comprehensive
    insurance provides peace of mind that if you were to cause an
    accident you wouldn’t lose out financially (apart from the excess).

cheapest car insurance for learner drivers — October 3, 2013 @ 10:11 am

These comparison portals are besing admired because they help you to save your times as wel as energy.
    Select one off the below articles aand learn to pay off your debt, live within
    your means and start saving today. A plethora of compaies exist
    out there, boh old and new, which provide car insurance.

Domingo — December 17, 2013 @ 12:33 am

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

Stephen — March 23, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

Jessica, you know you have made it when the spam posters can’t stay off your blog. Kudos to you and yours! (I actually came over for a banana bread recipe and stayed through pizza crusts and cream cheese glaze and and and) ;-)

1 4 5 6

1. Pingback: Creme De Menthe Brownie Recipe | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: The doughnut revival « savourytraveller

3. Pingback: Doughnuts. |

4. Pingback: Five Blogger Recipes to Make — Savvy Eats

5. Pingback: Baked Red Velvet Cake Doughnuts with Whipped Cream Cheese Glaze | Prevention RD

6. Pingback: Link Lovin’ Friday | Lauren's Sweet Life

7. Pingback: The Novice Chef » Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts

8. Pingback: Holiday Breakfast & Brunch Ideas « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

9. Pingback: Whole Wheat Banana Bread Snack Cake | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Cupcakes, Cake Pops, and… Donuts? « essentjewels

11. Pingback: Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends – I bought a doughnut pan

12. Pingback: Mini Maple Bacon Doughnuts | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Baked Lemon Doughnuts « Oh Shine On

14. Pingback: Red Velvet Donuts with Whipped Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting | Better with Cake

15. Pingback: Weekend links « Living & Loving

16. Pingback: Almond Mascarpone Baked Donuts | miss anna cakes

17. Pingback: Annapolis & Company - Peanut Butter & Honey Recipe Swap

18. Pingback: Pumpkin Yogurt Snack Cake : My Website

19. Pingback: Biscoff Glaze Recipe for Homemade Baked Doughnuts

20. Pingback: Cupcakes, Cake Pops, and… Donuts? – Essentjewels™ Blog

21. Pingback: Tuesday Tidbits | My Shiny Life

22. Pingback: Hot Cocoa Bar: Red Velvet + Hot Chocolate Desserts - Handcrafted Parties

23. Pingback: Red Velvet Donut Holes with White Chocolate Glaze - Lemons for Lulu