Today is my third wedding anniversary.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I

I know! You must be desperately wondering two major things:

First, just exactly how many “pouring” slash “dripping” shots do I think I can get into one blog post? Four? Five? Sixseveneight?

Second, what the heck have I learned these last three years? A lot? Nothing? That I should be a crazy single cat lady who doesn’t like cats?

Well fret no more. I’m about to tell you. This is really my life.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I

Here’s a rule of thumb: don’t look at your husband like he has a third eye when he asks you to “beer me my sunglasses” two hours in on your little romantic road trip. Just beer him whatever he wants and move along. It’s easier.

Don’t make your husband throw away his prized framed photos of WWF wrestlers, 80s tanks and mullets galore. Just save them all for his special room.

Do make sure that your husband knows where his room is: the garage.

Do respect your spouse’s taste buds.

Don’t try to shove ricotta cheese down their throat if they realllllly “claim” to hate ricotta.

Do put ricotta in things that you know your spouse will eat.

Don’t tell them.

Do replace “ricotta” with coconut, pecans or pumpkin at any given time.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I

Don’t accidentally throw away your husband’s shredded, smelly 1997 Dale Earnhardt Jr shirt. It could be worth money someday you know!

Do accidentally shrink it in the dryer because, seriously? You never claimed to be a domestic goddess or anything.

Do be honest about money, and make sure to tell your spouse that you spent $124 at Target on “blog stuff.”

Don’t show them the evidence, since “blog stuff” often translates to four bottles of Essie, a few boxes of Choxie truffles, an unnecessary (but hot pink!) sports bra, and a Missoni make-up bag.

Don’t kick your husband out of bed just because his snoring makes you feel like you’re sleeping next to Walter Matthau circa Grumpy Old Men.

Do develop a strong right hook and make a sound investment in Breathe Right stock.

Don’t mentally lose your marbles when the person you live with drips ketchup all over the $17 filet you just bought, including a nice drizzle over the parmesan whipped potatoes too.

Do erase ketchup from all future grocery lists.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I

Don’t listen to your husband when he tells you that he hates almonds. He really likes them and just doesn’t know it.

Do make this almond crusted salmon for your anniversary, because you know that your delicious dish will be the one to change his mind.

Don’t tell him the truth when he looks up at you with curiosity and asks, “is this made with nuts? You know I hate nuts.”

Do tell a slight fib while maintaining eye contact and claim, “oh… no… that’s just really crunch panko.”

Don’t bat an eyelash when he responds,” hmmm, well it’s really #%@#ing good.”

Do stifle a giggle and remind yourself that as always… you’re right.

Don’t say it out loud. Your marriage depends on it.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with a Pomegranate Glaze

serves 4

1 pound of salmon (cut into 4 pieces) or 4 salmon filets

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

1 cup crushed roasted almonds

3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

1/2 cup regular seasoned bread crumbs

1/3 cup flour (any kind works)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2/3 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar (regular balsamic will work too)

1/3 cup pomegranate juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet, then set a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with non-stick spray. In a bowl, combine flour, panko, almonds, bread crumbs, and a half teaspoon each of salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, add the egg whites and lightly beat with a fork.

Season the salmon with the remaining salt and pepper on both sides. Dip each piece in the egg white and coat thoroughly, then set in the bowl filled with bread crumbs, covered each piece completely and lightly pressing so the coating adheres. Gently place on the wire rack. I find that spritzing each piece of salmon with non-stick spray or olive oil gives the crust a nice crisp.

Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and fish is flakey. Immediately after the fish goes into the oven, combine the vinegar and pom juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5-8 minutes, watching carefully as mixture does not boil over and stirring every so often. Turn off heat and let sit aside for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Drizzle on salmon before serving.

*As long as you use a wire rack, the fish should not need flipped during cooking. If you do not have a wire rack, place the fish on a baking sheet and gently flip halfway through cooking – you may lose a bit of the breading though.

*I’ve found that my favorite bread crumb coating is a mixture of panko + regular crumbs + flour (and in this case, the almonds), but if you only have 1 or 2 of those ingredients they should also work fine.

*I roasted whole, raw almonds at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes, tossing every 3-5 minutes. I then crushed them in the food processor, but you can also roughly chop with a knife, then use a bag and a rolling pin.

*I tend to use beaten egg whites with fish as opposed to the whole egg because I find that it can add a bit of “eggy” flavor to the delicate fish. You can definitely use the whole egg if you’d like.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I

Do feed this to yourself soon, spouse or not. You deserve it.

165 Responses to “Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze.”

Rosie @ Sweetapolita — October 10, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

Haha, I love this post, sweet girl! Happy Anniversary to you and your man! I literally laughed out loud through your entire Do and don’t list. You’re the cutest. Love the recipe too!

Prathiba — October 10, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

the third picture is absolutely perfect. amazing shot!

Elaine — October 10, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

thank you for the do’s and dont’s of marriage. i can’t wait to get married one day :)

happy anniversary!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — October 10, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

Happy anniversary! Please stop make being a vegetarian so hard. Actually, don’t. Please keep posting amazing-ness like this.

Amber--JadeLouise Designs — October 10, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

1. that list of what you have learned is Hilarious! I love it! So funny; I was laughing so hard!

2. That dish looks AMAZING! and your photos are stunning! See; I know I love your blog for a reason!

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that you have been Featured and awarded on my blog!
    Your Award

Congrats and Keep being AMAZING!

Oh; and Happy anniversary!

Jess@atasteofconfidence — October 10, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

Haha awesome post. Happy anniversary!

Amanda — October 10, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

Ba ha ha! Love it!

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — October 10, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

I don’t know if I’d like that sauce, but the salmon looks divine, my dear! LOVE salmon….and almonds.

Jolene ( — October 11, 2011 @ 1:06 am

Those photos are incredible Jessica.

DessertForTwo — October 11, 2011 @ 1:36 am

CONGRATS! :)

I cracked up you said $124 on ‘blog stuff.’ I do that too often!

Sarah — October 11, 2011 @ 6:54 am

Happy Anniversary! 10/10 is a great date, it was our 13th anniversary. Hope you had a wonderful day. Congrats-

Eliza — October 11, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Haha, great post and belated congrats on your 3rd Anniversary!

Lisa — October 11, 2011 @ 11:55 am

Pom juice is so expensive, can I sub grenadine with balsamic or would it be too sweet? Also, in your sweet potato roll recipe, should I use sweet potato or a yam? Changes the color, no?

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

I definitely think you could.. maybe just add a little less grenadine?

Crystal — October 11, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Happy Anniversary! Hope you guys have a super fun day :)

Jill — October 11, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

Andy – I always say “beer me”, it gets a laugh like a quarter of the time.
    Jim – Lord, beer me strength.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 11, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

happy anniversary!!!!! I want to wish you and mr how sweet many many more years of bliss :)

lovverrr youuu

Ann — October 11, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for the Do’s and Don’ts and the dribble/drizzle pictures…..

Amy @ A Little Nosh — October 12, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Happy anniversary!!

Kelly Lilley — October 12, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

I loved this post! Made me laugh at my desk at work.

rose — October 13, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

This looks so amazing, I just love crunchy crispy salmon and pomegranate too! Never put them together all I do with pomegranate is eat the seeds whole thats as long as they last :)
    And ohmygosh I’m not quite married but my boyfriend puts ketchup on eeeeverything!! I make some new delicious Salmon recipe (or chicken, pork, whatever) and he’s all babe this is amazing… *squuiirts Ketchup* …*big ketchup-ey smile* haha!

thehealthyapron — October 14, 2011 @ 9:23 am

I have the fig infused balsamic…would that work too?

Nicole — October 14, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

This salmon looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it out this weekend!!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — October 15, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

This post made me smile :) Just sayin.

Happy (belated) Anniversary!

Stephanie — October 16, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

Happy Anniversary!! Great and true do and dont’s!!

Ken — October 17, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Great post. Great pics & nice recipe! Be sure to use the Pomegranate Concentrate from for this recipe. Not only delicious but priced right and healthy!

Kat @ living like the kings — October 18, 2011 @ 8:32 am

Do you know why it is that pomegranates were completely unknown to anyone in the US a few years ago? It was so weird – I introduced Jon’s entire family to them. Next I am working on introducing persimmons.

Kat @ living like the kings — October 18, 2011 @ 8:32 am

Um I apparently got too excited about the treats that I didn’t notice – HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :)

Lisa — January 28, 2012 @ 1:03 am

Just made this for my husband’s birthday dinner. It is FABULOUS!! We loved the flavor of the almond crust. Served with rice and asparagus – just perfect! Thanks for a wonderful recipe that I’m sure we’ll make again :)

Christine — February 13, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

I can’t get the vinegar mixture to thicken. What am I doing wrong?

Katy — March 26, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

Seriously, your recipes are always amazing and you make me laugh every day. Happy Anniversary!

Cori — May 17, 2012 @ 8:17 am

So we just made this for Mother’s Day and the fish came out great! I couldn’t find pom. balsamic vinegar so I used rasp balsamic vingerar and it tasted great mixed with the pom juice. But, we couldn’t get the sauce to thicken the way yours looks. What can we do next time to thicken it?

Jennie B — March 6, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

Made this and loved it. Thanks!! You are adorable.

Jemma — May 1, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

This was delicious! Thanks for some great recipes. I did add a bit of cornflour and sugar to the sauce, i dislike using sugar where possible, but i only had regular balsamic and it was a little too vinegar-ish for my liking and it was very thin so the cornflour gave it a great consistency. I did find the crumb was probably 4 times too much for 4 pieces of salmon, but at least i can store them and make this again soon! Thanks

Holly W — January 3, 2015 @ 1:06 pm

Love this! will be sharing on our blog and crediting for healthy new years meals. If anyone needs to know where to find a wide variety of quality oils and premium aged balsamics please stop by
    Here is our pomegranate balsamic direct link:
    thanks for the great blog and fun content!

1. Pingback: Sugary Weekend In Review

2. Pingback: Tasty Tidbits: Lemon Cake, Almond Crusted Salmon, and more — Kuchen Together

3. Pingback: Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon « Sarahlicious Dishes

4. Pingback: How to Eat a Pomegranate {+Recipe Round-Up} | Not Rachael Ray

5. Pingback: Changin’ it up « The Fit Journey

6. Pingback: Flops in the Kitchen « the kats meow

7. Pingback: Pomegranate Margaritas. | Lifestyle Pins

8. Pingback: Mother’s Day recipes with Union zest | Little Red Cookbooks

9. Pingback: Pomegranate Margaritas | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Top 10 Weight Loss Dinner Suggestions

11. Pingback: 112 Lightened Up Recipes for the New Year | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: New Feature – This Week in Alliteration – What Worked Well | Lucky Rhino

13. Pingback: Stacy’s Top Picks Weight Loss Dinner Suggestions | Stacy's Club