It’s probably like, 60 degrees or something crazy where you live… right?

Beef and Barley Soup I howsweeteats.com

Well, back when I made this soup a few weeks ago it was cold. Really cold. Freeeeeezing. My fingers almost fell off. So I made soup, because when it’s freezing and your fingers almost fall off, that’s what you do. Make soup.

Beef and Barley Soup I howsweeteats.com

My mom claims that Mother Lovett made a mean beef and barley soup, but I never experienced it. I did, however, always get a cup of beef and barley soup while I worked at the gym and then would stand at the counter and eat it while watching others run on the treadmill and get red in the face. Take that as you will.

Beef and Barley Soup I howsweeteats.com

You definitely will want to slurp this up.

It’s one of the most comforting recipes I’ve made to date. Super easy too.

Beef and Barley Soup I howsweeteats.com

Plus… it’s an excellent excuse to eat a ton of crusty bread. I love that I’m in charge of all the rules.

Beef and Barley Soup I howsweeteats.com

You can find the step by step recipe on Tasty Kitchen. I live for soup.

56 Responses to “Beef and Barley Soup.”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 7, 2012 @ 7:22 am

It’s not 60 but it was about 75 on Friday but on Thursday it was about 82 or so in San Diego. 60 is cold! :)

Seriously I couldn’t survive in a cold weather climate anymore and would be living! on soup. Love the pics and the contrasting colors…so pretty.

Becki's Whole Life — January 7, 2012 @ 7:24 am

This sounds yummy….I love Beef and Barley soup – esp with some thyme…which it looks like you added. I will have to take a look at TK!

Becky - Becky Bakes — January 7, 2012 @ 7:28 am

Love beef and barley soup! I have never really found that perfect one…I’ll give it a whirl. It has to get colder sometime!

Kristen @ Change of Pace — January 7, 2012 @ 7:48 am

One of those soups that warms your soul. I love this soup! Bookmarked the recipe :)

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 7, 2012 @ 7:49 am

The soup looks fabulous! I have been on such a soup kick lately! This one is going on my to do list! I’ve never made Beef Barley Soup! Thanks Jessica for always having great ideas!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — January 7, 2012 @ 7:49 am

It’s the middle of summer here but I still want to eat that!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 7, 2012 @ 8:12 am

It is the weirdest weather here but I’d love that as soon as the weather gets cold again!

idiosyncratic eye — January 7, 2012 @ 9:17 am

Maybe it’s just the way I see things but it did make me chuckle at the absurdity when the email alert came through as ‘How Sweet It Is Beef and Barley Soup’. Hehe. Your beef stew looks a little like pizzaiola and that pizza, mm-mm! :)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 7, 2012 @ 9:39 am

This looks like the PPPPPerfect winter soup! I’m all over it.

Ali @ Peaches and Football — January 7, 2012 @ 10:05 am

We’re in a “hot” heat wave here in WI – it’s was 40 degrees yesterday! Normally it’s in the teens with piles of snow everywhere. Still – it’s plenty cold enough for a hot bowl of soup and beef barley is one of my favorites!!

Lea Ann — January 7, 2012 @ 10:08 am

Well actually it has been 60 degrees, however snow is in the forecast. Nonetheless, I can eat soup all year round. Beautiful photos and this soup looks delicious.

Courtney — January 7, 2012 @ 10:38 am

I want a huge bowl of this. right. now.

Cait's Plate — January 7, 2012 @ 10:39 am

It has FINALLY started getting cold here – this looks like the absolutely perfect right now.

Mimi — January 7, 2012 @ 10:57 am

My hub has been hankering for beef barley-perfect timing! I know you’re a Trader Joes girl but Giant Eagle has bulk grains like quinoa, pearl barley and even lentils. They work great, are priced great and better yet, if you only need a bit you buy a bit, instead of a larger pre-packaged item!

• Jessica — January 7th, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Thanks for letting me know! It is t Market District? I don’t think my Giant Eagle’s have bulk sections.

Liz — January 7, 2012 @ 11:04 am

This looks delicious. I love the action shot!

Lauren — January 7, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Love beef and barley soup! I wanted to make a soup this week too…so this will be on the list!

Bev Weidner — January 7, 2012 @ 11:27 am

It’s pretty warm here but I would still pay a million dollars to have someone pour this into my face.

chiko — January 7, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Woo Hoo… I love this!
    Also, your photos are wonderful!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 7, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

it was 65 here two days ago and now it’s supposed to snow. blech – but it IS a good reason to have fabulous soup!

Deborah — January 7, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

There is actually snow on the ground right now (although I’m sure it will be melted away in a few hours) but this soup would be great today!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 7, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

I too live for soup. LOVE it.

Jackie — January 7, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

Beautiful soup. And by the way, how much do you love Tasty Kitchen? I wanna bake Nancy a big plate of Bacon Cookies and chat over tea. Ok, may beer. Whatever. I’m pretty sure Cookies & Beer With Nancy would be a one million comment blog giveaway.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — January 7, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

it’s 47 here in upstate NY which is ridiculous (in a good way)..heat wave!!!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 7, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

The weather over here has been hovering around 70-80*F, but that’s never before, and will not now, prevent me from wanting soup!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats — January 7, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

I really need to start making soup when I get back to school! I still haven’t tried to!

Belinda — January 7, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

That looks absolutely heavenly! Its actually very warm here, but I live in south GA, so that’s the norm. I could still easily tuck in to a big bowl of this soup though! Yum!

Whitney — January 7, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Its 4 degrees Celsius here (Vancouver, British Columbia) I think thats like 39 degrees fahrenheit or something? Either way its cold and wet. The perfect kind of day to make your soup… which I totally will do when finally get off the couch to get groceries!

Amber — January 7, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

yum! I’ve never used the quick barley- it looks a bit like oatmeal [flattened out]

Emily@ LivingLongfellow — January 7, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

I love that red on black contrast. Beautiful!

AliSue — January 7, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

Thank you!! This and your Slow Cooker Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Orzo are both going on my dinner plans for this month. I am doing the Eat In Month Challenge and you are just making it too easy for me :) Thank you again, I LOVE you blog!!

Katie — January 7, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

It’s snowing like crazy here, so I am incredibly thankful for the timing of this recipe. Now I just need to dig my way to the store and get some beef.

Katie @ ohshineon — January 7, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

I love dipping crusted bread in soup… it may just be my favorite thing on earth.

Allie@sweetpotatobites — January 7, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

It’s definitely upper 70s here in California but I’d still dig into that soup. Perfect, simple dish with lots of leftovers!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 7, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

I love soup–even eat it in the summer. Fantastic recipe!

Jessie — January 7, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

Where did you get those bowls? They’re adorable! And the soup looks delish too, btw. :)

Rosie @ Sweetapolita — January 7, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

This is so super gorgeous to me right now, Jessica. Been dying for soup all week (sick girl here), and homemade soup at that. Beef & barley soup was my favourite soup growing up, and I would love this right now! Love your photos too, hon. xo

Michelle @Lipstick and Lunges — January 7, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

I LOVE beef and barley soup. Such a great way to add some red meat into the diet. It’s not too cold here (for New England area), about 35 degrees right now. Sad part is that’s unseasonably warm for us! (Why I live here I do not know…) Thanks for sharing the recipe. Might just be the perfect thing to make on a lazy Sunday.
    — Michelle

Heidi — January 8, 2012 @ 12:57 am

This soup looks unbelievable!

kyleen — January 8, 2012 @ 12:57 am

My mom makes the best beef and barley soup. And I totally agree that dipping crusty bread into soup is totally awesome.

CORTNEY — January 8, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

Yeah definitely mid 80’s in so cal.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — January 8, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

Yummy yummy yummy I’ve got souuuup in my tummy

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — January 8, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

Most scrumptious. Basically I want to put on my new fuzzy slippers, flannel pajamas, and eat a bowl of this soup. With the bread. And butter.

collette — January 8, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

try low 70’s!!! Florida.. we love to hate the weather here! Its always too hot, boiling in the summer (and forget our humidity!) and even in the winter, if you can call this winter- its still too warm!! I want to wear sweaters, boots, scarves!! Please at least let it be cool??? Soup looks awesome, we can’t wait for cold days here, maybe rainy ones… our cold last for 4.3 days!

StephLiz — January 9, 2012 @ 12:23 am

I loved your post on PW…I loved your writing style on there, too…

Sharon {Grumpy, Sleepy, and Bashful} — January 9, 2012 @ 12:23 am

Wow! Your pictures have a way of making me want to eat whatever it is you are posting pictures of. I mean, if I’m being honest, when I saw the title of Beef and Barley soup, I didn’t immediately start salivating. But, after your mouth-watering pictures, I really want to run to the store. And, suddenly, I really want some soup.

Thank you!!

Nicole, RD — January 9, 2012 @ 8:07 am

This looks delicious, Jessica! Thanks for another great recipe to try!

Nat — January 9, 2012 @ 11:51 am

This looks great and will be tested soon.

If you are looking for a recipe for really crispy and at the same time fluffy bread, check out these baguettes:

Erin — January 9, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

You know what? I don’t think I’ve ever had beef and barley soup. Gasp! Time to fix.

Emily @ Life on Food — January 9, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

I was just thinking about this soup the other day and thought to myself that I needed to find a good recipe. Thanks for making that task super easy. Looks beyond delicious!

Victoria — January 10, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

This was so delicious!! Can’t wait to make it again!