I think I need an intervention.

Yesterday I was making this cinnamon sugar focaccia (OMG) and that’s not the bad thing (obviously), but as I was making it I was listening to the “country love song” station on Pandora and I don’t even know how I got there.

Ummmm what?

If you recall, I didn’t even like country music and then I went and married a country music fanatic and it’s somewhat growing on me (hello Blake Shelton, my boyfriend) but I have no interest in listening to songs about loving old guns and polishing dogs. Or whatever.

But it’s like that really weird time of year when you can’t listen to Christmas music anymore and I don’t even KNOW what to listen to and if you ask anyone who knows me (like my husband or an immediate family member) they’d probably qualify my taste in music as “horrific.” You know?

They just don’t know what a great album Sweet Kisses is… obviously.

See? This is why I have to make food that tastes good. I’m not exactly what one would call a friend magnet.

What I think would be reallllly smart of you (or… me?) is to make some sort of dessert-like panini with this focaccia. Right? Stick some chocolate and peanut butter in there and grill that thing. Or maybe peanut butter and banana. Or maybe marshmallow fluff. Yes.

I have all sorts of tricks up my sleeve.

Cinnamon Sugar Focaccia

makes one 9×13 dish

[adapted from Tyler Florence]

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 cup warm water

3 tablespoons honey

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons canola oil

1/2 cup granulated sugar (more if desired), mixed with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon above

2-3 tablespoons melted butter

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine water, yeast and honey. Stir a few times to help yeast dissolve, then let sit for about 10 minutes – until foamy. Add in flours, salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and mix so a dough begins to form. While mixing, stream in 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Mix until a ball of dough forms (about 2-3 minutes), then “knead” on low speed for 5-6 minutes. If dough becomes too sticky, add a bit more flour. I did not find that necessary.

After kneading, remove dough and form into a ball with your hands. Brush a large bowl with 1 teaspoon of canola oil and add the dough, turning to coat. Place in a warm area and cover with a slightly damp towel to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Brush a 9×13 dish with the remaining canola oil. Dump dough onto a floured workspace and shape into a 9×13 rectangle with your hands. Place into the dish and set back in the warm place, covered, to rise for 15-20 minutes.

Press your thumb into the dough to create indentations (as many as you want, i did about 6 in a row), then brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake on the lowest rack of your oven for 15-20 minute. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then turn over onto a wire rack or countertop. Brush bottom with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and let sit for 10 minutes. Flip bread over, and brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar again if desired. Cut and serve!

I definitely dipped those sticks in more melted butter and cinnamon sugar. Do it!

136 Responses to “Cinnamon Sugar Focaccia Sticks.”

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 5, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

What about cookie butter grilled up in between two slices of that! The possibilities might be endless.
    OR using it to make a S’more…a Cinnamon Focaccia s’more. oh lord.

JH — January 5, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

I need these. Please. Pregnant and drooling.
    All I’m missing is wheat pastry flour!!!!
    Trip to the store tomorrow….ok.

Kelly — January 5, 2012 @ 10:35 pm

Um, these look FANTASTIC

Kat @ living like the kings — January 6, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

So I hate Country music and I married a CM fanatic as well, which doesn’t do me or him any good since every time that I hear CM I start making up my own (wildly inappropriate) words to each song until Jon gets so annoyed that he turns it off (I also may or may not howl). Any who, guess what song is our wedding song though? Big & Rich “Lost in this moment”. No, you are not misreading, that is a country song. And no, I have no idea how that happened or how I agreed.

Ryan — January 6, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

Yum! Those little cinnamon sticks could be very addictive!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — January 6, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

As a tireless promoter of all things country music, I would like to take this time to put out a friendly public service reminder that many country songs have nothing to do with dogs and guns and, as such, it is easily the best genre of music out there.

That is all.

Except that these cinnamon sugar focaccia sticks look ah-mazing (not that I’m surprised in the least).

Becki's Whole Life — January 8, 2012 @ 8:04 am

I love country music. And I am quite sure I would love these. Great idea with the thumbprints in these – I guess they collect more butter and sugar in the little indentations…oh yeah.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 8, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

I go away for a few days and miss this?!?! These look amazing!

Stefanie — January 8, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

I made these this afternoon and they came out beautifully! They are delicious! Can’t wait to have a couple for breakfast tomorrow. :) Thanks for the recipe, Jessica!

JH — January 10, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

I made these this morning and the aroma in my kitchen(and on my hands) is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I could eat the whole pan myself….in one sitting. Thanks for the recipe!

Lisa — January 10, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

Hey Jess, as usual this looks amazing. I havlete one word for You: Speculoos. If you aren’t familiar with this delicious spread from Belgium, well you’ll thank me later, I promise. I actually found a jar for a very reasonable $5 at Big Lots, but I’m sure its available online. Its like Nutella but better if that’s possible. Think unreadable Snickerdoodles. It would rock as a dip for these sticks! Let me know what you think.

• Lisa — January 10th, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

Uh, that is newsupposed to be SPREADABLE Snickerdoodles!

• Lisa — January 10th, 2012 @ 11:38 pm

I really hate autofill.

• Jessica — January 11th, 2012 @ 8:12 am

I have it from Trader Joe’s – obsessed!

Morgan — January 14, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

Think I could do this in a food processor? If so, how long would I ‘knead’ for? My food processor only has one speed. If not I guuuuess I can lug out my kitchen aid ;)

• Jessica — January 14th, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

Honestly not sure… never made dough like this in my food processor.

• Morgan — January 14th, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

Ok thank you! I know many people make pizza dough in a food processor, I made your whole wheat pizza dough using my food processor the other night and it turned out good (i think!). Basically the only reason I want to use it is because it’s the newest addition to my kitchen therefore I’ve been trying to use it in any way possible :) Also.. those blood orange scones… omg… I think I ate half of them myself.. in a day.. woops!

how to get rid of a cold sore — March 13, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the future as well.

Nate — April 4, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Absolutely delicious , I love this recipe thank you, I took the sticks and cut them in half though and lined just the inside with Godiva chocolate and put then back in te oven to melt the chocolate a bit

1. Pingback: Cinnamon Sugar Focaccia Sticks. | How Sweet It Is | Organic Rapeseed Oil

2. Pingback: Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes with Mint « Fleur-De-Licious