This is one time in your life I’m going to say that you really want crabs.

Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

The GOOD kind.

I mean, there’s just so much to be said about these short little sliders. !!!

…their crispy crab midsections.

…their tiny toasted buns.

…the cascading juicy fruits cubes.

…their adorable general plumpness.

Because if there’s one thing I love, it’s a sandwich packed so fat that you can barely get your mouth around it.

Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

And I’m willing to do anything just so you’ll make them and join in the mush fest with me.

Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Well, that’s only three quarters true.

Anything including video cameras or broccoli is strictly prohibited.

Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Back around the time when I wore silk shirts blanketed by paisley vests, leggings with lace squares on the bottoms, my fair share of skorts and bowed down every Sunday at the temple known as Limited Too, I sort of thought crab cakes sucked.

Like… why would I want to eat a cake made of crustaceans when I really just want to eat a cake made of sugar? And why would I order crab cakes when the only seafood I ever think about is that lobster romano that my mom brings home half of in a styrofoam container nearly every.single.week.? That I hurry up and eat when no one’s looking then blame it on my brother? And why am I finding, like… thick chunks of stale bread in my crab[less] cakes and not any actual crabs?

And seriously… why is my hair permed?

I’m so glad that phase is behind me. All of them.

Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Crab Cake Sliders

[from my simple & light crab cakes]

makes 8-10 sliders, depending on bun size

1 pound lump crabmeat

8 saltine crackers, crushed (I used multigrain)

1 large egg

1 tablespoon dijon mustard

1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt or mayo

pinch of cayenne pepper

salt & pepper to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil

8-10 whole grain slider buns or dinner rolls

Combine all ingredients except for olive oil in a bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. While it’s heating, form the crab mixture into small patties that will fit the size of bun you’ve purchased. Place them in the skillet and cook until lightly golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.

Spicy Lime Yogurt Spread

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt

1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (or more if desired)

zest of half of a lime

juice of half a lime

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and combined.

Pineapple Kiwi Salsa

1 kiwi, peeled and chopped

1/2 jalapeno, chopped

2 pineapple rings, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped red onion

3 tablespoons chopped cilantro

the juice of half a lime

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Monday is better with these.

111 Responses to “Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa.”

Julie — January 30, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

Okay, I don’t like seafood so I won’t be commenting on the recipe, but I’ve got to say that your photography has improved SOOOO much! I mean let’s face it: Your early photography was way better than mine anyways, but even just over the past year, it has gotten soo good! Keep up the hard work! I’m disgusted by seafood (sorry! no offense!) and your sliders still look good to me!

• Jessica — January 30th, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

Thanks so much!

• ChefBitch — May 28th, 2012 @ 11:02 pm

well I’m offended, anyone who dislikes seafood should just STFU!
      oh, and have a GREAT day!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — January 30, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

Yummy recipe…and they look adorable. I’ve never had crab cakes before but I think i’d be excited to try these :)

Casey — January 30, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

Yummmmy! These are too cute and sound delicious too :)

Roz@weightingfor50 — January 30, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

OMG!!! These have been added to my “must try” file.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 30, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

Looks delicious! I’m sure the tart-fresh salsa is a nice contrast to the rich and creamy crab cakes :)

lydia — January 30, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

A) These look AMAZING and I am going to make them tomorrow night.

B) …

That’s what she said times a million for all your writing skillz! :)

Stephanie H — January 30, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

I really don’t like seafood but if anyone can make me a seafood lover it would be you!

Living The Sweet Life — January 30, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Life changing … I adore sliders. Really, I adore them. And crab cakes … they complete my life. These particular sliders need to happen now. You just completed my monday – - thanks :)

Quiche-ing Queen — January 30, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

My guy loves sliders and I bet he would really enjoy these.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — January 30, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

pineapple kiwi salsa? sign me up! sounds awesome.

Megan — January 31, 2012 @ 3:43 am

This looks wonderful. I stumbled upon your blog from tastespotting. I’ll subscribe. Feel free to pop over and visit sometime. Thanks for sharing xx

CouponClippingCook — January 31, 2012 @ 4:57 am

wow. these look so delicious. The whole wheat bread is such a perfect match for these sliders.

Cristy — January 31, 2012 @ 5:09 am

Honest to goodness, Jessica….these are now on the giant pile of stuff to make on Sunday! Wooho!!

Zee — January 31, 2012 @ 7:09 am

I have never had crabs before but this one looks so tempting I want to eat one cake right now

Jo — January 31, 2012 @ 8:10 am

These look gorgeous, light, nutritious and delicious. Thanks Jessica.

Lea Ann — January 31, 2012 @ 9:20 am

What a beautiful little slider. Fabulous idea.

thelittleloaf — January 31, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Crab is one of my favourite things in the whole world, followed by bread, so these little sliders are my idea of heaven. Love the zingy salsa too.

Maryberry — January 31, 2012 @ 10:52 am

These look fantastic! Can’t wait to bust them out on Sunday!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt — January 31, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Wow, those look amazing. I’m thinking Superbowl Sunday….

Kayte — January 31, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

I made this last night because we had all the ingredients already at the house. It was so amazing!

Tamara @jemofthesouth — January 31, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

Yes, please! I love crab cakes and these sliders are adorbs!

Samantha — January 31, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

I haven’t ever seen anything like these before and I seriously want to make them. What a perfect treat
    for this weekend when company comes over. I will even get to serve them on my new gorgeous
    plate that I got for my birthday! Thanks for the post! It’s beautiful.

Mrs. Zoom — January 31, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

Your photos are seriously stunning. I don’t even like crab and I’m considering making these…

Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves) — January 31, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

Oh my gosh, these crab cakes look so wonderful!! I’m really intrigued by the pineapple-kiwi salsa, too – it sounds delicious!

Dana B — February 1, 2012 @ 3:19 am

Not into crab, but the salsa looks great!! awesome fruit combo :)

Ashley — February 1, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

ummm do you remember the crab pretzels when you came to bmore?!?! LOVE! and miss you :)

Meghan — February 1, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

I love the combo of fish & fruit. I’ll make this any day of the week!

Sun — February 2, 2012 @ 2:49 am

I made these tonight for dinner, and they were AWESOMELY DELICIOUS! I served the crab cakes solo, i.e., no buns, and I also did not make the spicy lime yogurt sauce. I also didn’t want to purchase an entire box of Saltine crackers so I just used my leftover Croccantini crackers. Another thing that I did differently was that I crushed additional Croccantini crackers and coated each patty with the crushed crackers before cooking them. The crab cakes developed a beautifully crispy and crusty exterior. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing the recipe!

• Sun — February 2nd, 2012 @ 2:51 am

Forgot to mention that I made this with fresh lump Dungeness crab meat (I’m in San Francisco, it’s the local crab). I know that not everyone has access to fresh crab meat. Has anyone made this with canned crab meat?

Amy Kowbuz — March 14, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

Do you think you could use whole wheat bread crumbs instead of saltine crackers?

megan {a dash of megnut} — March 24, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

this looks so good! I showed the pictures to my boyfriend and all he could do was nod. We’re so excited to try this recipe! And I have to say your photos are stunning. Do you just take them against a white wall in your house?

Betsy — April 21, 2012 @ 1:29 am

Made this recipe last weekend and loved it! Just the right amount of spice, crab and fruity flavors. I featured your recipe on my blog today – thank you so much for this tasty post!

Kara — May 22, 2012 @ 11:34 pm

these look fabulous!!! where did you find the slider buns?!

marcie — June 6, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

Hi! I made these for dinner tonight with corn on the cob and WOW were they tasty! I wish I could find fresh crab meat in the Burgh but the canned stuff from GE does OK. Thanks for a great recipe…. my husband gave it a 9.75 which is a huge compliment.

Annie — June 27, 2012 @ 9:05 am

What is sriracha sauce that is used in the spicy lime dressing?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 4, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

Hi Jessica,

I just made this with some fresh crab caught today in the San Francisco Bay. This dish was amazing!! The crab cakes were light, full of crab and so good! Plus the salsa and greek yogurt topping, oh my gosh!!! Thank you for such a simple and wonderful recipe! I have to make this again!

kylie @ immaeatthat — December 27, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

I’m making these for my New Years Eve Party! Gorgeous!!

1. Pingback: T-A-D 6: Salmon Cakes and Dubious Accoutrements « Get It, Gadget!

2. Pingback: T-A-D 6: Salmon Cakes and Dubious Accoutrements « Thing-a-Day 2012

3. Pingback: Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Sally’s Pins – Sally Spins

5. Pingback: Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa « Spatulas & Buttons

6. Pingback: Krabben-Burger mit Ananas-Kiwi-Salsa & scharfem Limetten-Joghurt | Portugal | Compliment to the Chef

7. Pingback: Avocado, Mango & Crab Stacks | Yeah…imma eat that.

8. Pingback: 100 Best Super Bowl Party Recipes | the little kitchen

9. Pingback: Pear Salsa

10. Pingback: Crab Cake Sliders for Dad

11. Pingback: Fourth of July Style | Simple Pleasures

12. Pingback: 10 Healthier Father's Day Lunch Recipes - RippedNFit | Motivation Education Inspiration: Health & Fitness for Everyone

13. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn

14. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Lightened-Up Dinners. | pinmeplease

15. Pingback: Fourth of July Style | Simple Pleasures

16. Pingback: Jeobox – 22 Fabulous Fruit Salsas

17. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!

18. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!

19. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!