Cookies for breakfast. On Monday! You know this week HAS to be good.

But I didn’t make them alone. Oh no.

I had a leeeetle friend.

She was just a tad bit excited.

This is Morgan… the sister of the baby with the crazy faces and my BFF’s daughter. I told you all about how swimmingly we got along two years ago because, well… we’re exactly alike.

It’s also quite possible that she is the most well-behaved, well-mannered and SWEETEST child I have ever come across. And this only means one thing: I basically cannot have children unless someone guarantees me an exact clone of her. That sounds super fair. I’m all for fairness.

Oh… and she wore a little toddler apron. OHMAHGAH.

I told Morgan that we were going to make healthy cookies… cookies that we could like, eat for breakfast and stuff. She was down. I didn’t tell her that I often eat regular cookies for breakfast. She actually eats things like broccoli and carrots and I don’t need her thinking any less of me.

She did everything from mashing the bananas to whisking the egg to dumping in the flour and sneaking chocolate chips. And I told her to “smile really big!” with everything she did so I could exploit her precious little face all over my website. And she listened. Even while eating cookies when she probably wanted to punch me in the face. Man I love this child.

My biggest fear was that this mash of ingredients that we threw together last minute would be a total fail and taste like chalky dust. So glad I was wrong. For once. You know, which is like huge… since I’m never ever wrong. Wait. Where is my husband? He should probably be reading this.

These fat cookies aren’t super sweet but still have some great flavor from the banana, honey, brown sugar, cherries and obviously… chocolate. That’s a mandatory breakfast ingredient, by the way. They are somewhat cakey but not too cakey like traditional banana cookies, and taste just healthy enough that you really can justify eating them for breakfast. Err… I’m not kidding anyone. I never need justifying.

Breakfast Cookies

2 tablespoons ground flaxseed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons peanut butter, melted

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/4 cup dried cherries (or dried fruit of your choice!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, mix flour, oats, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and flaxseed together, then set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk egg and sugar together until smooth. Add in vanilla, mashed banana, melted and cooled butter and honey and mix until combined and somewhat smooth (it’s okay if banana chunks remain).

Gradually add in dry ingredients, mixing gently with a large spoon until the batter has come together. Stir in melted peanut butter. Lastly, add chocolate chips and cherries, mixing until distributed. Using a 1/4 cup measure, an ice cream scoop, or even a large spoon, drop dollops of batter onto a nonstick baking sheet, placing them about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set and lightly golden around the edges. Cookies will not spread much and will probably hold their form, but get a bit puffy and fat.

I guess Monday’s are okay.

162 Responses to “Breakfast Cookies!”

Kris — February 21, 2012 @ 11:16 am

I so want to make these, and I have everything on hand except the flaxseed. Can I just leave it out or sub something else?

• Jessica — February 21st, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I think you can just leave it out!

Julie — February 21, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Can I make bars instead?

Gina — February 21, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

OMG she is the cutest everrrr!!! And I have got to try these cookies right now!

Carissa — February 21, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

These sound delicious! I have 2 over-ripe bananas to put to use…maybe I’ll have to double it & make more cookies!

Lisa — February 21, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

OHMAHGAH – what a choochie face and love her attitude! Send her pic to Jimmy Fallon and get her a late night gig as kid kitchen korrespondent (you can thank me later)!

Ok Jessica, you are obviously in love with whole wheat pastry flour, but I already have like 3 bags of flour (white AP, whole wheat, rice, and cake) so really don’t want to add another that will sit there on my shelf and eventually will be tossed out because there are yucky little weavils burrowing in there – gag.

Is there a way to blend whole wheat with cake flour…or some other way to achieve the balance of healthy ingredients and super texture?

Ok, now you can go back to having fun…

• Krysten Oliphant — June 7th, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Whole Wheat pastry flour is just super fine whole wheat flour. If you put your WW in a food processor and pulse it some more, voila, WW pastry flour!

grammy — February 21, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

My daughters set me up to get your recipes. I have to say, you are very entertaining and I am becoming quite an admirer of yours – if not the recipes, your witty responses. That said, long ago MY mother told my oldest daughter…after feeding her chocolate cake for breakfast (which incidentally she never fed me!) that chocolate was perfectly fine to eat at breakfast. So, bake on chocolate chip breakfast cookies; a little bit of chocolate NEVER hurt anyone. And that is from TWO grandmothers! And yes, your leeetle friend is quite adorable!

penny — February 21, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

Can’t wait to try these

Amy — February 21, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

I’ve been following your blog for about 2 weeks now and have already made so many recipes from it! I just put the first batch of these in the oven & the second batch should be done any minute now! They are delicious and a nice “healthy” alternative to regular cookies ;) They’re like nothing I’ve ever eaten before, well done!

Mb — February 22, 2012 @ 12:48 am

a few questions – do you think subbing pumpkin for the banana, and nutella for the PB would work??

Danielle — February 22, 2012 @ 2:35 am

adorable photo of the little gal!!!! definitely will try these cookies soon!!

Mary Prillaman — February 22, 2012 @ 10:28 am

What a little doll she is!!

carla mccarthy — February 23, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

Besides the cookie looks so delicious , OMG this girl is so cute!!!!

Erin — February 23, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Totally a fan of cookies for Breakfast

Jay — February 26, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

Can these be frozen?

Courtney — February 27, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

I made these yesterday for breakfast this week. They are great because I need an “on the go” breakfast and these are perfect to take. I might add an extra banana next time and perhaps some chopped peanuts or chopped pecans, for extra protein. They were still so yummy though.

Kim — February 28, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

I love these!! I am totally going to make them soon! Thanks!

megan — February 29, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

Hi – I made these and love them! Can’t stop eating the cookies. Great recipe. Thanks!!

Cherie — March 3, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

Thank you sharing! These are soooooo good!!!

Tania — March 7, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

These were fantastic! They taste wholesome but yummy too! A tough combination to achieve… The choco chips give it a real cookie identity. Recommend!

Erin @ GoBananasBlog — March 15, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Just made these and had to make several substitutions but loved them anyway! I didn’t have any honey so I used a little more brown sugar. They are a little dry but still pretty yummy. Instead of chocolate chips I used cinnamon chips which almost give them a banana bread type flavor. Next time I will get honey before attempting but I think I will keep the cinnamon chips!

Erin G — April 4, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

I added extra peanut butter and about another cup(+) of some mixed nuts and dried fruits then baked them in a pan to cut into bars! It is a great recipe :D

Allisha — April 11, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

I LOVE these cookies! I’ve made about 8 batches in the last month. My hubby loves them, too. I feel better about him eating these for breakfast then pop tarts. These are really yummy with craisins and dark chocolate chips in them! Thanks for a great recipe!

megan — May 21, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

Hi – can I use quick oats instead?

TheGeek — June 10, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

These. Are. Amazing. I used whole chia seed instead of ground flax, making the dough a little gummy but adding a nice moisture to the final product. We just rolled them out and flattened them slightly with a spoon, and the result was like the lovechild of a chocolate chip cookie and a scone: thick, soft, a little chewy, and perfect.

We used chopped pecan in place of dried fruit and are planning more variations soon. Thank you so much!

danielle — July 19, 2012 @ 9:48 am

do you think i can just use all purpose flour? i dont have any whole wheat on hand

• Jessica — July 19th, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Yes definitely!

Megan — August 16, 2012 @ 9:40 am

I made these this morning for a special breakfast treat for my toddler, and he giggled the entire time he was eating one. Loved them – thanks for the recipe!

Courtney — April 11, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

Oh my GOOOODDD!!! that girl of your friend’s , she is so adorable the cutest little kid in our planet . Make sure you make her a lot of things LOL

molly — April 14, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

i made this and i LOVE IT!!!!!! they are so healthy and delicious, best healthy cookies ever!

adele chenoweth — April 20, 2013 @ 9:22 am

i’m just wondering about a substitute for the peanut butter? anybody have any ideas

lynn — April 24, 2013 @ 9:29 am

THIS RECIPE LOOKS DELICIOUS, HOWEVER I DO NOT HAVE FLAX SEEDS OR WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR. WILL THE RECIPE WORK WITHOUT THE FLAX SEED? CAN I USE ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR?

Amy — May 1, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

Gaaah all I have are quick oats and the store around the corner charges you like 50 dollars for the rolled oats and i’m too lazy to go the real store. Can I use the quick oats?

Mariah — September 11, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

I’m exploring your blog tonight and having way too much fun! You have the best-looking recipes ever! Thank you so much for sharing all of them! These cookies look amazing! I can’t wait to try them! :)

Valued Customer — January 22, 2014 @ 8:01 pm

I had no wheat or pastry flour, lol, so I used plain white flour, and they still came out awesome. So soft and tender. Not overly sweet, just sweet enough. Will definitely save and make again! <3 TY for this great recipe!

lemonseleven — February 5, 2014 @ 9:40 am

I made these last night and was blown away by how good they were for breakfast this morning. Perfect with a cup of tea. I substituted almond butter for peanut, used whole flaxseeds instead of ground, and there is a possibility that I may have accidentally put in a whole cup of chocolate chips instead of half. My subconcious makes me do evil/delicious things.

As these are still a bit sugarier than I usually go for breakfast, I plan to freeze half so that I don’t feel like I have to gobbel one of these up every morning before they go bad. This recipe is a keeper.

Rachel — March 11, 2014 @ 9:29 pm

How many grams is 1.5 cups of whole wheat pastry flour? Also, is there a substitute for the flaxseed or can I omit it?

1. Pingback: When drugs won’t fix that migraine: Chocolate Chip Pancakes | Cabin Goddess

2. Pingback: breakfast | Pearltrees

3. Pingback: Breakfast Cookies – Sprinkle Joy.

4. Pingback: Over {Something} | 80% Homemade

5. Pingback: Breakfast Cookies | DB and Jelly

6. Pingback: Sweet starts. « Boomtown Sisters

7. Pingback: Nutella Breakfast Cookies

8. Pingback: 12062012 « Deanna's Daily Dose

9. Pingback: 12072012 « Deanna's Daily Dose

10. Pingback: 12082012 « Deanna's Daily Dose

11. Pingback: Healthy Pumpkin Cookies | cluttercafe

12. Pingback: 100 + Healthy Recipes (Breakfast, Dips, Appetizers, Desserts & More) » Little Inspiration

13. Pingback: Banana Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Breakfast Cookies with Cacao Nibs | Yeah...imma eat that.

15. Pingback: Oatmeal Banana Brookies with Chocolate and Cranberries | Flavor the Moments | Flavor the Moments

16. Pingback: Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies | After the Ivy League

17. Pingback: Spruce up your “relationship health life”… - Work It!