Well lookie here!

I managed to take a bean burger and add cheese and barbeque sauce to it.

Please don’t say you’re surprised.

Even since I first made Sarah’s thai veggie burgers a few months back, I’ve been eating them like they’re going out of style baby. #sosogood.

I thought it was high time I tried making a few of my own, and I even ADDED BROCCOLI. Behold – the first recipe on this blog that contains broccoli. Behold – the last recipe on this blog that will ever contain broccoli.

I think.

I have no idea actually. I might have had a recipe back in the day that incorporated some broccoli before I embraced my true hatred for it. THAT was a total stress reliever.

But here? You can’t even taste it! How lovely.

Let me tell you a little something something: I’m a giant fan of beans. Pretty sure I say that like once a week, but whatever. The truth is I go through nearly a can of chickpeas a day. Freaking love. That’s what that is.

I figured that taking a bunch of things I spaz over, like bone suckin’ sauce, caramelized red onions and sharp cheddar cheese… and combining them with chickpeas would solve all life’s problems. Even if they are a little ugly. Plus I threw some extra vegetable-like stuff in there (such as those horrid trees) to trick myself since I’m eternally six years old. Best result ever. And easiest thing ever too. Just throw the ingredients in the food processor and boom – you’re all set. Don’t overprocess as the end result can become mushy. Nobody likes a sandwich full of mush.

Oh and puhhhhlease top with extra cheddar. Duh.

BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers

[adapted from thai veggie burgers from sarah's book!]

makes 4 burgers

1/4 cup chopped red onion

1/2 teaspoon olive oil + 1/2 tablespoon

1/2 cup broccoli

1 medium-sized peeled carrot, chopped

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese + more for topping

2 tablespoons barbeque sauce + more for topping

1 teaspoon honey

2 1/2-3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Heat a small skillet over low heat and add 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Throw in onions with a pinch of salt, stir to coat, then let cook and caramelize for 5-6 minutes. This should happen fairly quickly since they are chopped small. Remove from heat and set aside.

In the bowl of your food processor, add broccoli and carrot, pulsing until chopped very finely. Add chickpeas, sauce, honey, flour, cheese, onions, salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder. Process and pulse until completely combined but not pureed. Carefully remove from processor bowl and form into 4 burgers. If you feel that your burgers and somewhat delicate, refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add remaining olive oil. Once hot, add burgers to the skillet and cook on each side until golden brown and crispy on the outsides, about 3-4 minutes. Be gentle when flipping and removing burgers so they don’t crack or fall apart. Serve on toasted buns with additional cheddar, red onion and sauce.

Now I’m hunnnngry.

168 Responses to “BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers.”

Jessica — March 14, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

Definitely made these last night, topped with Smoked Gouda & Avocado on Flat-out bread. Absolutely delicious!

• Becky — March 22nd, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

Smoked Gouda and Avocado…. that sounds yummy too!!

Ambika — March 17, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

Wow! I am loving this recipe and hope to make it very very soon! Thanks for sharing, so glad to have found your blog through Knapkins!

Tracy — March 17, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

These were AMAZING!!!!

Natalie — March 18, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Eating one of these right now. Incredible.

Julia — March 21, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

I made these tonight with some leftovers from a BBQ this weekend, topped it with cole slaw, and holy moly are these good! Thanks for the great recipe!!

Becky — March 22, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

Cannot WAIT to try this! Sounds amazing!!

You crack me up too, enjoyed reading this as well :-)

Christine — March 27, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

I just made these tonight and while the flavour of the patties is TO DIE FOR, the texture needs some work. Even after being chilled for a half hour, they started to fall apart as soon as I took a bite. They just don’t quite hold together. But they are worth trying to perfect :-)

Njelsmom — April 4, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

GREAT taste – but how???? did you get them to firm up. I didn’t have whole wheat pastry flour – so substituted gluten flour??? could that be the problem?

madeleine — April 10, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

I am facing the same issues as others…they “raw” batter tastes yum BUT they are a mushy mess as I try to cook them (I am triyng not to cry:)) Any helpful hints? thanks…your recipes are always the bomb :)

Leesha — April 30, 2012 @ 11:26 am

So do you add the carmalized onions to the puree, or do you just use it to top the burger with? Or both?

Barbara Appelbaum — October 27, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

You don’t need to use processed barbecue sauce. The basic ingredients are tomato (squeeze out the liquid), molasses and/or brown sugar for sweetness, vinegar, salt, and hot pepper if you like it. I rather like orange peel added. Throw it all in your blender.

• Miriam — November 8th, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

Thanks for posting this comment, Barbara–I had everything but the BBQ sauce and would’ve been stumped!

Chloe — November 8, 2012 @ 12:07 am

I’ve just finished putting these together and they look amazing! I made them early in case they needed refrigeration but they’ve held together pretty well. I pulsed mine in the food processor just enought to combine them, there’s still near-whole chins of chickpea. I’m sure they’ll turn out amazing. Thanks for the recipe!

Chloe — November 8, 2012 @ 12:08 am

Chunks* not chins!! Silly autocorrect :-)

Lindsay — April 21, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

These were DELISH.
    I used whole wheat flour instead of pastry (didn’t have) could that be why they fell apart? I could barely flip them. Had them over a bed of greens so no big deal, just curious if I can improve it.
    I will definitely be making again regardless.

1. Pingback: Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad | Chickpea Salad Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

2. Pingback: Friday Fun! March 16, 2012 | Cupcakes & Kale Chips

3. Pingback: 34 weeks & veggie burgers | Lil Runner

4. Pingback: Weekending

5. Pingback: cook, sister. « wabi wabi

6. Pingback: Recipe Inspiration

7. Pingback: Philadelphia Fears « Food, Sweat, and Beers

8. Pingback: Friday Favorites: Running Edition « MollyontheRun

9. Pingback: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

10. Pingback: BBQ Chickpea Burgers « wafoodie

11. Pingback: Nutrition Know How « The Balance Project

12. Pingback: Vegetarmiddag: Kikærteburger med BBQ sauce og cheddarost……..

13. Pingback: Recipes to Bookmark | Weight Loss Diary

14. Pingback: Losing the Baby Weight | Adventures in Cooking

15. Pingback: BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers « In The Mixing Bowl

16. Pingback: Say No To GPS and BBQ Chickpea Burgers | um-ums defined

17. Pingback: Two Things and an Awesome Veggie Burger « om&nom

18. Pingback: Beach Eating recap – BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad, BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers & more! | Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy.

19. Pingback: Chickpeas, black beans healthier alternatives for burgers | Cantaloupe Pie

20. Pingback: BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers | The Hoot Eats

21. Pingback: The Quest for The World’s Best Veggie Burger | You, Me, & A World to See

22. Pingback: Kitchen Productivity | Contented Momma

23. Pingback: bbq chickpea burgers «

24. Pingback: Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream | How Sweet It Is

25. Pingback: Cheesy BBQ Veggie Sliders « Sugar Dish Me

26. Pingback: Barbecue Cheddar Chickpea Burgers | Apollo & Co.

27. Pingback: Cheesy BBQ Veggie Sliders | Sugar Dish Me

28. Pingback: Vegetarian February 2013 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

29. Pingback: Vegan Eats: Spicy BBQ Chickpea Burgers | OmNastay

30. Pingback: Vegan Eats: Spicy BBQ Chickpea Burgers | OmNastay

31. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent

32. Pingback: 10 Veggie Burgers That Even Meat-Eaters Will Love « Natural Revolution

33. Pingback: Five for Friday: Recipe Love | om&nom