I feel it’s safe to say that I am in a Cadbury egg coma.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

A deep one.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

Those crazy eggs have been one of my favorite treats since childhood… and I distinctly remember begging my mom on more than one occasion to let me pick one out in the checkout line of the grocery store in like, February. Those freaking marketing gimmicks. Gets me every time. I STILL get giddy upon my first Cadbury sighting of the year. They are the golden ticket or something.

And I’m just a big sucker.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

It may only happen once in a blue moon , but come the day after Easter and ten cocoa hangovers later, I can’t even fathom biting into a piece of chocolate. Granted this will probably only last until, say… 3PM this afternoon… and then I will take a big old hunk out of my bunny’s ear, but still – any feeling like this is huge in my small, small world.

For now, all I can think about is ACTUAL FOOD. Food food. You know… savory things like tacos and soups and burgers and tacos. I like tacos.

I realllllly like tacos.

In case you didn’t know.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

But… this isn’t tacos. What.the.heck. I’m sure you’ve noticed.

I can deal though. We are huge salmon fans too. Like… twice a week salmon fans. I know I tell you all the time but my favorite way to prepare it is simply broiling until the outside is crispy and the inside is soft and buttery. It practically melts in your mouth and we totally loved it on top of these noodles that are just slightly coated in a parmesan basil cream. Which reminds me… I already killed one basil plant this year and we just hit April. Am I screwed?

I’m thinking yes.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles

serves 2 with leftovers

1 pound fresh salmon (skin preference is optional)

1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti

1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tablespoon flour

1/2 cup skim milk

1/3 cup half and half

12-15 basil leaves, chopped

3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese

Prepare water for pasta, bring to a boil and cook according to directions. While pasta is cooking, preheat the broiler in your oven to it’s highest setting, placing the oven racks as close as they can be.

Brush both sides of salmon with coconut oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a broiler pan, a nonstick baking sheet or a nonstick wire rack placed on a baking sheet. Set under the broiler and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until top appears crispy and browned. Flip the salmon and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until crispy and brown on the other side. Remove immediately.

While salmon is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and garlic, cooking for 30 seconds, then whisk in flour to create a roux. Let the mixture cook for another minute or so until it becomes golden in color, then add milk and half and half, stirring constantly. Allow the mixture to slightly thicken then toss in the basil and parmesan, stirring to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Add in cooked noodles and using kitchen tongs, toss to coat completely. Serve immediately and place salmon on top.

Note: I used salmon that was about 1 inch thick – if your’s is thicker or thinner, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Additionally, this “sauce” leaves a thin coating on the noodles and is not very saucy. If you desire more, I suggest doubling the butter, garlic, flour, milks, basil and parm. This also allows you to have extra sauce to spoon on top of the salmon, which is terrific.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

P.S. this comes together in 30 minutes… maybe even less. And is definitely light enough so there is room for a Cadbury egg after…

92 Responses to “30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles.”

Chris — April 10, 2012 @ 7:38 am

I would eat fresh basil leaves if I could, and then you add them to creamy basil pasta and salmon. Oh that looks so delicious. Perfect weeknight meal for after work this week.

thelittleloaf — April 10, 2012 @ 8:46 am

Salmon is one of our favourite fall back weeknight meals too, and I love how you’ve combined it with these silky strands of pasta. Delicious.

Megan — April 10, 2012 @ 9:00 am

Every Easter I myself get giddy over those Cadbury eggs. I love when their commercial finally airs for the month! I didn’t buy the big ones this year instead I thought I was being genius and bought a package of little ones so I could enjoy them longer, well they just aren’t the same! I feel like I was jipped! I guess it isn’t always true when the say, “good things come in small packages!” So need to stick with the big ones. Heading out today to track some down and by now they are clearanced so I can buy more! ;)

Oh and huge salmon lover here! This recipe looks amazing!
    Megan

Lauren — April 10, 2012 @ 9:24 am

I blogged about Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcakes! You should try them- SO good!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — April 10, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

What a delicious combination. The crispy salmon plus the basil and the noodles….just perfect together.

elaine — April 10, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

i want to EAT this SO badly.

Hope Haug — April 10, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

found my dinner tonight!

oh and, I saw this and thought of you…

Kim N. — April 10, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I cannot wait to try this! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Jen Marie — April 10, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

I really love this recipe. Esp the basil in the pasta. It looks super yummy. Now this is all that I have in my head and I can’t think of anything else…..

Zee — April 11, 2012 @ 6:19 am

basil, garlic, tuna and pasta.. I can tell this tastes amazing!

Jenn — April 12, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

Love your sense of humor!

Dee Kitchen — April 12, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

Made this last night and it was delicious! My one complaint is that putting the coconut oil-brushed salmon under the broiler brings the coconut oil to smoke point very quickly, and before I was finished I almost had a fire on my hands! My entire apartment still smells of smoke. Was this not a concern for you?

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:09 am

That didn’t happen for me (at least no smoke!) but I use my broiler pretty frequently and am used to all the crackling, popping, fires and any smokiness. I think coconut oil has around the same smoke point as olive oil… if you want, you can switch to something like grapeseed oil (I love it!) or maybe take your over rack down a notch and cook a little longer!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 14, 2012 @ 11:18 am

I can’t believe I forgot to have a Cadbury cream egg this Easter season! I hope they are still on sale! I love those things :-)

Rachel — April 16, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Just made this last night…. it was SO easy and SOO) good. Extra “O’s” for the good part. Thanks for another awesome recipe!

Rachel — April 16, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Just made this last night…. it was SO easy and SOOOO good. Extra “O’s” for the good part. Thanks for another awesome recipe!

JP — April 16, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

I am making this this week. I cannot wait!

katelyn — April 19, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

Have you ever been to Meat and Potatoes downtown? you have to try it if you haven’t been.

Ada Cowan-Ruhlen — May 7, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and my family decided unanimously that it was delicious! I used fat-free half & half, and substituted the coconut oil with grape seed oil. I will definitely make this again!!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! :O)

Elizabeth — June 7, 2012 @ 7:26 am

This is seriously the best salmon recipe I’ve ever had. I cook for my boyfriend’s family almost every night and they were just as wowed by this as I was. So easy yet soo fricken amazing!!!

Candy — June 13, 2012 @ 9:42 am

In a word…..even though my son has requested that I never say this word again…REEE-DONK-ULOUS!!! I doubled the sauce ingredients but otherwise made the recipe exactly as written and it was seriously delectable!

Wendy — September 22, 2012 @ 11:29 am

The recipe looks great; the writing is painful to read, and reeks of affectation of the highest order.

Authentic writing that doesn’t sound like every other blog whose authors think they can write / are funny would no doubt increase your traffic.

Sarah @ Well Dined — November 7, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

So delicious! Thanks for adding another dish to my salmon repertoire!

Kati — April 6, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

Can you use EVOO instead of coconut oil?

Launa Eisman — June 21, 2013 @ 10:54 am

Vitamin E, flavonoids, linoleic acid, and OPCs are highly concentrated in grape seeds. These compounds can also be found in lower concentrations in the skin of the grape. OPCs are also found in grape juice and wine, but in lower concentrations. Resveratrol is another of grape’s compounds which is related to OPCs and found mainly in the skins. Resveratrol has become very popular as an antioxidant and is being studied in connection with a variety of diseases…,^”

Check out the most current article on our own webpage

• JennierOrsill — October 8th, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

Why can’t add this to my recipe box?

1. Pingback: twosie tuesday. - meals & moves | meals & moves

2. Pingback: {LoveStamp} Blessings

3. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 30-04-12 | Real Fit Moms

4. Pingback: WIAW {StarkVegas Edition} | Love Mint Chocolate Chip

5. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 28-05-12 | Real Fit Moms

6. Pingback: Crispy Salmon with Arugula Pesto | total noms

7. Pingback: Weeknight Salmon « welldined.com

8. Pingback: Halloween Link Loving | Hummusapien

9. Pingback: Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles | windykitchen

10. Pingback: Pan-Crisped Salmon with Light Dijon Cream and Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Marvelous Mother’s Day Weekend