I feel it’s safe to say that I am in a Cadbury egg coma.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

A deep one.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

Those crazy eggs have been one of my favorite treats since childhood… and I distinctly remember begging my mom on more than one occasion to let me pick one out in the checkout line of the grocery store in like, February. Those freaking marketing gimmicks. Gets me every time. I STILL get giddy upon my first Cadbury sighting of the year. They are the golden ticket or something.

And I’m just a big sucker.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

It may only happen once in a blue moon , but come the day after Easter and ten cocoa hangovers later, I can’t even fathom biting into a piece of chocolate. Granted this will probably only last until, say… 3PM this afternoon… and then I will take a big old hunk out of my bunny’s ear, but still – any feeling like this is huge in my small, small world.

For now, all I can think about is ACTUAL FOOD. Food food. You know… savory things like tacos and soups and burgers and tacos. I like tacos.

I realllllly like tacos.

In case you didn’t know.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

But… this isn’t tacos. What.the.heck. I’m sure you’ve noticed.

I can deal though. We are huge salmon fans too. Like… twice a week salmon fans. I know I tell you all the time but my favorite way to prepare it is simply broiling until the outside is crispy and the inside is soft and buttery. It practically melts in your mouth and we totally loved it on top of these noodles that are just slightly coated in a parmesan basil cream. Which reminds me… I already killed one basil plant this year and we just hit April. Am I screwed?

I’m thinking yes.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles

serves 2 with leftovers

1 pound fresh salmon (skin preference is optional)

1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti

1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tablespoon flour

1/2 cup skim milk

1/3 cup half and half

12-15 basil leaves, chopped

3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese

Prepare water for pasta, bring to a boil and cook according to directions. While pasta is cooking, preheat the broiler in your oven to it’s highest setting, placing the oven racks as close as they can be.

Brush both sides of salmon with coconut oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a broiler pan, a nonstick baking sheet or a nonstick wire rack placed on a baking sheet. Set under the broiler and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until top appears crispy and browned. Flip the salmon and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until crispy and brown on the other side. Remove immediately.

While salmon is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and garlic, cooking for 30 seconds, then whisk in flour to create a roux. Let the mixture cook for another minute or so until it becomes golden in color, then add milk and half and half, stirring constantly. Allow the mixture to slightly thicken then toss in the basil and parmesan, stirring to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Add in cooked noodles and using kitchen tongs, toss to coat completely. Serve immediately and place salmon on top.

Note: I used salmon that was about 1 inch thick – if your’s is thicker or thinner, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Additionally, this “sauce” leaves a thin coating on the noodles and is not very saucy. If you desire more, I suggest doubling the butter, garlic, flour, milks, basil and parm. This also allows you to have extra sauce to spoon on top of the salmon, which is terrific.

30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles I howsweeteats.com

P.S. this comes together in 30 minutes… maybe even less. And is definitely light enough so there is room for a Cadbury egg after…

92 Responses to “30 Minute Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 9, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Wow that salmon looks SO incredibly crispy. I bet it’s just perfect. The only thing more perfect is the Cadbury egg coma you speak of :)

Beki — April 9, 2012 @ 7:03 am

That salmon looks amazing! We do a recipe where the salmon is cooked on a griddle pan, with a soy sauce, honey and ginger dressing- it caramelises and becomes sticky with a bite from the ginger, heaven! Check out my blog if you have time- I’ve just started writing but am a long time lurker and avid reader of many blogs such as your own! :) Beki x

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 9, 2012 @ 7:10 am

I’m not going to lie – when I did eat fish, salmon was my faaave. It’s so rich!

Rodzilla — April 9, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Crispy skin is to salmon what ears are to Easter bunnies. No option! :D

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 9, 2012 @ 7:31 am

Salmon is going to be on the menu quite a bit over the next month for us so this recipe is much appreciated to keep variety at the top of the list!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — April 9, 2012 @ 7:45 am

That looks epic!

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box — April 9, 2012 @ 7:47 am

Wow – this looks amazing! And it only takes 30 minutes to prepare? Fantastic!

Kim in MD — April 9, 2012 @ 7:57 am

We love salmon, too. I am careful to only buy wild salmon, though. Farm raised fish are on Prevention magazine’s list of the ten things that you should never put in your mouth. This recipe looks so delicious, Jessica!

Jane B — April 9, 2012 @ 8:09 am

That crispy salmon is making my mouth water. It’s like bacon from the sea…

And paired with basil noodles…yes please!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 9, 2012 @ 8:12 am

I haven’t had a Cadbury Egg in years!! Did you know a Cadbury Egg has less sugar than 1 can of soda? Now enjoy your egg guilt-free!! It’s the best kind of sugar coma!

Your dish looks fantastic!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 9, 2012 @ 8:12 am

Salmon is something I think I could eat at every meal and never get tired of it (woot woot for the omega 3s!) As for Cadbury eggs, the way you feel about them is the way I used to feel about marshmallow Peeps when I was younger. Nom nom nom!

Maria — April 9, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Love the creamy basil noodles! What a great meal!

Priyanka — April 9, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Now thats a wonderful dinner. Great photos

Gen — April 9, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Yum!! Looks delicious!!! Can you believe I’ve never actually tried a cadbury egg?????

• Jessica — April 9th, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Oh my…. you must.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — April 9, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Looks heavenly!

Julia {The Roasted Ro}ot — April 9, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Perfect meal! Tons of flavor with all sorts of healthiness and super quick to make! This is how every meal should be. Thanks!

Grammy — April 9, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Cadbury eggs are the food angels eat, fyi….

ps…Your “real” food looks yummers too!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 9, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Ah yes, Cadbury Creme Eggs, my weakness, too! Whenever I first see them come out in January, I HAVE to get one and then there’s no telling how many I’ll have between then and Easter. The great thing – they’re discounted LOTS after the holiday!!!
    Again, Jessica, you’re reading my mind. Been thinking that we’re needing to eat some salmon for dinner lately. I think tonight’s the night!
    …Great, now I’m gonna have Phil Collins in my head all day…*drum solo* bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, BOOM
    :-)

Joy — April 9, 2012 @ 9:11 am

i don’t know what could be more perfect than this.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — April 9, 2012 @ 9:31 am

Wow, this dish looks fabulous! I love the sound of that basil cream sauce – yum!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — April 9, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I’m in a sugar coma too… no chocolate for me today for sure. This looks like my kind of meal. Love salmon!

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — April 9, 2012 @ 9:43 am

Omgsh this sounds fabs! But I’m definitely on an Easter detox after yesterday too!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 9, 2012 @ 9:45 am

I think the sugar coma after Easter rivals the one after Halloween…

• Jessica — April 9th, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Totally agree. I was just thinking the same thing.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — April 9, 2012 @ 9:52 am

mmmm.. i need another salmon recipe like i need a hole in the head (slightly obsessed), but i just printed this one out anyways and plan to make it this week!! amazing, girl!

Janetha @ meals & moves — April 9, 2012 @ 10:15 am

I cannot wait to make this!

Ann — April 9, 2012 @ 10:20 am

I’ve bookmarked your last 7 recipes, and see you all over Pinterest, I love it!

• Jessica — April 9th, 2012 @ 10:45 am

Thanks Ann!

Bev Weidner — April 9, 2012 @ 10:20 am

MMMM, TACOS. Oh! And that salmon.
    MMMMM THAT SALMON.

Elysia — April 9, 2012 @ 10:38 am

I’m still hoping to reach the point where I can’t pop another chocolate egg in…

what katie's baking — April 9, 2012 @ 10:39 am

ohhh yum. this looks so good! Happy Easter!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 9, 2012 @ 10:52 am

It didn’t dawn on me until reading this that I didn’t have a single cadbury creme egg this year! They’re my absolute favorite but somehow I resisted all the CVS displays and didn’t buy any. I think I’m just as much sad about that as I am happy that my willpower held out on that!

Cassie — April 9, 2012 @ 11:09 am

salmon is a great fix for candy comas. I love this.

Pris — April 9, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Looks sooooo good!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty & The Hazel Bloom — April 9, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

I’m drooling over those noodles! Yum. And no, you’re not screwed in regards to basil plants. Just wait for warmer weather. Unless you’re in Florida or the like, it’s probably way too cold. I live in Seattle and have to wait until June. :)

Chelsy — April 9, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

I am also in a Cadbury Creme Egg coma, as well as a Reese’s PB Egg coma…real food is just not an option right now…haha!

Nicole @ Sweet Peony — April 9, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Soooo the crispy salmon tacos are tomorrow right? ;) Loooove the way you cooked the fish. I’ve currently been using coco oil only to lather up my ridic dry skin, but I should probably use it for cooking too. Another bottle, of course… or not. Anywho, yummers!

sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 9, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

while i love salmon in any form.. in sushi, lox, lightly baked, on pasta, on salads, etc… this crispy salmon recipe HAS GOT to be one of the best. i just bought coconut oil and am dying to make your chewy coconut granola bars and now… this salmon. Thanks Jessica! PS: i love tacos too. who doesn’t?!?!

Cait's Plate — April 9, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

I haven’t had a piece of salmon in so long and I think this is JUST the recipe to break that streak :)

Alison — April 9, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

Yum. Creamy pasta in less than 30 minutes? Yes!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — April 9, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

Is it weird that I never liked cadbury eggs?? I know I’m in the minority here. I’ll just take extra salmon and basil noodles!

• Jessica — April 9th, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

My brothers always hated them too… so I got to eat all of those.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 9, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

i seriously started slobbering the second i read the title. it sounds too good!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — April 9, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Ok scratch what I had planned for dinner….. I am making this for dinner tonight!

Moni Meals — April 9, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

amazing Jessica! My kinda of dish. :)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — April 9, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

It looks ridiculously delicious!! I’m a fool for salmon!

green beans & grapefruit — April 9, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

I ate so much this past weekend that I have to eat on the light side today but those noodles look delectable!

Quiche-ing Queen — April 9, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

Thinking about all of the chocolate my son ate gives me a stomach ache. Now you. Haha! Definitely a chocolate hangover worthy meal. Looks so darn delicious. I love salmon.

Carie — April 9, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

give me Reese’s or give me death! :) I just bought the big Reese’s egg on sale (day after Easter is the best) and I am tempted to engage in a sugar coma…yum.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — April 9, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

I LOVE Cadbury mini eggs. I didn’t buy any this year because I will eat them all in one sitting.
    I adore everything about this recipe..the crispy salmon, the noodles and the sauce!

Elisabeth — April 9, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

I just pulled up your site to see if you had a haricots verts recipe to go with a fish dish that I want to make later this week. The only problem was that I hadn’t decided on what kind of fish dish to make. I can hardly wait to go to the fish market now and get some fresh salmon. And I just picked up a HUGE basil plant at Trader Joe’s today (along with the haricots verts) So excited!

Nellie — April 10, 2012 @ 3:08 am

If it makes you feel any better, basil is

a) supposed to die (it’s an annual!) so it will “go to seed” aka send up shoots
    b) the basil plants you can buy at TJ’s at this time of year mean that they are stressed out as hell because
    c) basil is a summer plant through and through (aka they really shouldn’t be outside until nights are consistently in the 50s, and they really shouldn’t be in a windowsill unless you’ve put them in a larger pot with lots of soil and drainage and consistent water and sun). Also, TJ’s employees are great but like they get the plants way too big and they don’t water them enough and they get all stressed out and pot-bound (the roots just start circling at the bottom of the pot).

buy ‘em young, put them in well-worked soil with full sun, water daily, enjoy and replant in “successions” so that you have enough through the summer! No worries, just tons and tons of basil. I recommend buying seeds, following the packet directions and in general starting that way so you have enough to last you through the summer.

your daily unsolicited advice for the day,

Nellie

becca — April 10, 2012 @ 7:03 am

made this last night and it was sooo good!! it came together in less than 30 minutes and was so simple and perfect for monday night. you have the bestest recipes.

1. Pingback: twosie tuesday. - meals & moves | meals & moves

2. Pingback: {LoveStamp} Blessings

3. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 30-04-12 | Real Fit Moms

4. Pingback: WIAW {StarkVegas Edition} | Love Mint Chocolate Chip

5. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 28-05-12 | Real Fit Moms

6. Pingback: Crispy Salmon with Arugula Pesto | total noms

7. Pingback: Weeknight Salmon « welldined.com

8. Pingback: Halloween Link Loving | Hummusapien

9. Pingback: Crispy Salmon with Creamy Basil Noodles | windykitchen

10. Pingback: Pan-Crisped Salmon with Light Dijon Cream and Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Marvelous Mother’s Day Weekend