1. As much as I hate green things, I made this for dinner last night and ACTUALLY ATE IT. I might have quadrupled the cheese, but whatever. Green is as green does.

2. You know how I am CONSTANTLY complaining about what a mess I make in the kitchen and how it takes me like, five hours to clean up every night? Here are some tips on staying organized. It seems I am incapable of following them but I’m sure they work if you are a normal person. I am not.

3. There would be a baking dish full of cheese sitting on my oven right now.

Not really, because there are enchiladas under there. I think? #nosuchthingastoomuchcheese

4. My husband and I are both in a weirdo kind of funk today, most likely brought on by this gorgeous SNOWFALL weather in almost-May, so we are going to the movies tonight. This is HUGE. When I was little I couldn’t wait to be a grown up so I could do fun things on school nights. But then I became a grown up and still.. get in bed at 9:30 and never do fun things on school nights. I’m also not in school but will forever call weeknights school nights. I’m also a complete loser.

5. Was anyone else seriously convinced at the end of the Eastbound and Down finale that Kenny Powers really had bit the dust? What? You don’t watch trash?

6. I ate this snack today which was fairly healthy until I chopped an entire bar of chocolate on top. Funk be gone!

7. Oh and I also eat a crapton of Grape Nuts because I love things that are so crunchy they almost break your teeth and I am secretly 74 years old. Just ask my iTunes.

8. I am elbow-deep in a serious egg obsession. I love eggs so much. I find them to be one of life’s simple pleasures. I am going to die and come back as an egg at this point. I have no idea how that would work but it’s gonna be something weird like that.

9. We went on a nice little date Saturday then got in a huge screaming fight over the new HBO show Girls. Oh yay marriage. Major plus: I got to sleep in a bed all to myself that night. There isn’t much better than that.

10. In relation to #9, a lot of times my husband accidentally falls asleep on the couch and I just… leave him there. I will be sure to drill into my future childrens’ brains what a wonderful thing having your own bed is.

98 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

1 2
    mountain girl heidi — April 24, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Hey, I have a disaster of a kitchen right now too! And thanks for the cleaning while I go tips… In theory they sound great, but I consistently fail each time. The biggest help for me would be to simply prepare everything at the beginning, but noooooo…. I end up running around the kitchen like a crazy woman.

And I wholeheartedly believe in your cheese ideas as well. There can NEVER be too much cheese.

I always enjoy your Tuesday posts… They make me laugh. And I think we’d be good friends. :)

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Thank you!

Kaelynn — April 24, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

#4, 7, 8, and 10 are exactly the reasons why we are the same person. I call weeknights “school nights,” LOVE Grape-Nuts (Grape-Nuts hot with brown sugar. amaahhhzing.), am consistently told I am at least 74 years old despite my actual-late-twenties-age, and sleep SO MUCH BETTER alone. like so much better that I say I need a separate bedroom when I get married.

Girls is amazing. WHAT in the show did you get in a screaming match over? I’m dying to know.

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Hahaha – I love the show, he absolutely HATED it. He is 10 years older and we always discuss how our (or my, I should say) generation is so lazy, lacks a work ethic and is extremely entitled, so he can’t even bear to watch the show. But I don’t remember what made us start fighting over it!

• Kaelynn — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Yeah, I can see that. it’s definitely an “our generation” show. and while the excessive entitlement is grating, I also feel like I have had every single conversation they have had so far with one of my friends. hysterical.

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

TOTALLY agree with you. I was dying over the scene with her and the doctor discussing AIDS too.

• Kaelynn — April 24th, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

I almost fell off my couch during that scene. the only thing that saved me was the Ghirardelli double chocolate brownie on my lap.

• Deanna — April 24th, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

Oh man I have to agree. LOVE Girls. LOVE their conversations. It is so real life!!

Anna — April 24, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

I like grape nuts too, but I am verrrry careful with them after I actually CHIPPED MY TOOTH on Kashi GoLean :(

Jen — April 24, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

I LOVE #10…I don’t wake him up either, and yes, my children know as well! I would much rather have my own bed some nights.

Kiki — April 24, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Do you refer to before Christmas as last semester and after Christmas as this semester? Because that’s the only way I can explain it…

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Ha!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 24, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

I’m with you on the 9:30 bed thing. I’m a complete grandma and I don’t even care! ;)

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife — April 24, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I LOVE crunchy cereals too! And I still think of weekday nights as school nights too. We must be soul sistas or something?! :)

Penny @ Big Spoon, Little Spoon — April 24, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

Haha, I had to comment on this one. I feel Im finally not alone. My hubs teases me about how constantly thrilled I am about all the things I can do as a grownup. Im nearly 30. Im the only grownup I know who still can eat so many lollies they actually make themselves sick and I’ll refuse to go to bed at a reasonable hour sometimes, just cos I can. Ah, #therearenoconsequenceswhenyou’reyoung.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 24, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I would love a 9:30 bedtime since I get up at 5 for work… unfortunately my husband doesn’t get up until 9 and therefore likes to go to bed around 12. #10 all the way.

Rhonda — April 24, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Hi, I totally agree the pleasure of sleeping in the bed by yourself. I have a huge king size waterbed. Yes, I know a waterbed, a throw back from the 70′s. But it’s warm and I just love laying in the middle of it. So if my hubby falls asleep on the floor in the living room, no problem. I actually sneak out and shut the tv off and the lights and creep back into bed. And the nights when I really want to sleep alone, I make sure he gets a big meal, with a rich creamy dessert. He gets all comfy in front of the tv and ZZZZZZ he’s out. SCORE!! I get the bed to myself.

I just love you wit and humor. It’s great. And your recipes are wonderful.
    Rhonda

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Thanks Rhonda! Next time I want to sleep by myself I think I’ll stuff him with food instead of pick a fight.

Eliza — April 24, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Oh you crack me up! I just lol’d at my desk at work at how you leave your husband sleeping on the couch. I do that as well with my boyfriend because sometimes it’s just nice to have the bed to yourself, but most of the time because he freaks out if I try to wake him to tell him to go to bed. Anyway, I, too, am 74 years old, so it’s nice to see that there are more of us out there. :) Did you ever go see American Reunion?

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

We are seeing it tonight. :)

• tracy — April 24th, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

that movie is the only reason why my husband would go to a movie theater in 2012.

Danielle — April 24, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

There seriously never can be enough cheese! Now if someone else can tell my husband that, I’d be set.

P.S. I look forward to Tuesday Things every week. It really brightens my day. :)

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

Thanks Danielle!

Jessica — April 24, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

1. What is the deal with that show? It’s like I want to like it, but the complete un-attractiveness of the entire cast is really messing with me. Does this make me a jerk? Probably. But I’m shallow and I like my tv shows filled with unnervingly attractive people, unless it’s reality, and then bring on the Flavor Flav’s of the world.
    2. My husband also regularly falls asleep on the couch and I NEVER wake him up. At least then his snoring is just a dull rumble.

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

THIS. All of it.

Veronica @ Café con Leche — April 24, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

omgosh i looove that show Girls!!! hahaha it’s so hilarious and very applicable to uh my life at the moment. Also your cheesy enchiladas look delish!

Molly — April 24, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

My husband and I got in an argument about Girls too! Like Kaelynn, I’d love to know what you all tussled about.

• Kaelynn — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

apparently I need to keep watching this show only in the presence of my female roommates and not with my boyfriend or any of their boyfriends to avoid many arguments. duly noted.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 24, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

I don’t get HBO anymore…wait, maybe I do. I don’t know…need to check. My tv stations never stray far from Bravo, FoodNetwork, E, and Disney. Priorities :) But now I want to check out that new show!

Michele B — April 24, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

I so thought he was dead!!! …..Were you vicariously living my life on Sunday? My husband and I had a huge discussion over the show Girls that ended in a disagreement also……really what it comes down to is…. my husband and I are a boring married couple that fights over HBO shows, and words with friends, and we are in bed by 9:30, and we love grapenuts…..sigh…we need to get a life!

Kristen M. — April 24, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

I love when my husband falls asleep on the couch. A lot of times I will tiptoe out of the room and sneak into bed b/c I know he will be out there for a long time. I love having the bed to myself! :)

Erni Moss — April 24, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Aside from enjoying all your stories, recipes and other crazy antics, I really love your photography. I love food and photography, to me it’s the perfect combination. I haven’t quite figured out how to combine the two just yet. What kind of camera do you have and what setting do you use on your close up shots?

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Thank you! All photos on this page are taken with my iPhone, but for my recipe photos I use a Nikon D5000. I shoot on manual but honestly… just click the button and take the photo once it looks okay. I am not well versed in photography whatsoever.

DK — April 24, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Your Tuesday Things always crack me up. I kind of want to be you when I grow up.

Liz — April 24, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

I am so glad you posted #9 because the same thing happened to me this weekend. Except the fight was over whether or not a girl in a picture was behaving in a “slutty” manner. UGH! And as to #10 – happens at least once a week and I’ve finally stopped caring, because yes – sleeping alone is amazing sometimes.

Jenny — April 24, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

#9 and #10 – MY LIFE!! I will be laughing about those two for days. Thank you!

Louisa @ The Heart Beats Faster — April 24, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

Cheese is the best. It’s one of the main food groups for me and my boyfriend!
    And I totally agree that is a wonderful thing to have the bed to yourself sometimes.
    Hope you both get out of your funk soon and enjoy the movie :)

MLB — April 24, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

Ah, I love Grape Nuts, too, and I love that you also use the term “crapton”. We use it all the time around here, as in, “Did you put a crapton of cheese in that bean dip? You know that’s the ONLY way to make it.” LOL

Diana — April 24, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

Yumm! Can you pleaasse share your go-to chicken enchilada recipe with us?? :) I searched the site but only found veggie enchiladas.

Love your blog btw!! <3

Catalina @ Cake with Love — April 24, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

That is a huge pile of cheese, you can almost feed a small country!! :) I love eggs too, mostly the egg yolks, I love them on an open face sandwich with avocado and arugula!

Trish — April 24, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

Yeah! Iam not alone, I sneak off to bed before the hubs, because its so nice to have the bed myself, except my mini dachshund needs to be with me. So I really am not all alone. A deep sigh for Grape Nuts. :) thanks for the smile.

Stephanie — April 24, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

whenever the husband and I fight he punishes me by sleeping on the couch. Which is why I pretend to be absolutely crushed by it when secretly I am planning on being a bed hog and getting a nice quiet night’s sleep without needing to elbow him in the ribs when his snoring is out of control.

tracy — April 24, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

REAL TALK. I don’t follow all of those tips. If I did…life would be grand, perfect…and I would be clipping roses outside saying “I will sell this house today.” I like to think of it as more of a…in a perfect world this is how you work on a recipe– post.

My kitchen is a nightmare most of the time.
    It’s got roasted pineapple all over the place and remnants of roasted green beans with parts of Cooper’s lunch that I didn’t put away….oh and i and spilled coffee on the floor. It’s sticky.

tracy — April 24, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

OMG YOU WATCH KENNY POWERS.

Maria — April 24, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

My husband sleeps on the floor in front of the TV 5 out of 7 nights a week. It used to make me mad, but now I cover him up with a blanket and bid him goodnight. His back does not thank me.

Mary Helen (@MaryHelenOrama) — April 24, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

So happy to have discovered your blog (and this post) today. I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who ruins (enhances?) healthy snacks by covering them in chocolate.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 24, 2012 @ 5:44 pm

They are most definitely still school nights!

Patti — April 24, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

I took a Cocoa Lab at the Ritz-Carlton in Charlotte this past weekend and I’m sure everyone in the class thought I was a total freak for cleaning up after them. It made me feel useful and not so shy.

Talk about being a freak. lol

I live for your Tuesday Things, BTW.

sara — April 24, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

so funny. i love this and can relate to so much of it…except i love green things A LOT. Hugh calls me a grandma all the time, especially with music, so your itunes reference made me giggle :)

Chrissy — April 24, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

I read those clean-kitchen tips… is she kidding? Srsly. I’m proud to say my kitchen looks like Hurricane Chrissy hit when I’m making a CROCKPOT meal.

• tracy — April 24th, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

I am. See note above.

Laura — April 24, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

Hahahaha…I secretly love having the bed to myself too! It may happen tonight after mentioning something about how his parents tell me what to do too often :-S…I love the list by the way!

Melinda — April 24, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

I just love #10. You are too funny! For a second, I thought you’d kicked him onto the couch, but ten makes it even funnier!

Sarah — April 24, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

Not to be sexist, but based on my own experience, your fight and the rest of these comments, perhaps only girls should watch Girls. And I know only boys should watch Eastbound and Down. (What are you doing?!?)

Abby — April 24, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

The Grapenuts cracked me up! My mom is a huge fan. I think the name alone is giggle-inducing. She’s been eating them her entire life and has felt at least 70 years old every time.

Ashley — April 24, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

#8!!!!!! YES! Eggs eggs eggs!!! Is that a Chocolove bar?? Only the best! And yes, we watch that trash.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — April 24, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

obsessed with eggs too! and things that are crunchy they hurt your teeth…wierd fact when I have popcorn I die for the pieces at teh end that didn’t get popped in the microwave that are so crunchy and literally can break teeth…I eat them :)

Janae — April 24, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

I laughed so hard at #9 & #10 on your list, because I think most of us married people can relate. My husband and I looked forward all week to an afternoon alone last Saturday, and then of course we fought, ending in my leaving without him. It happens. And, my husband falls asleep on the couch all the time… and I leave him there, too. Ha ha ha…

Heather — April 24, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

Love numbers 8 and 10! Re: eggs, I told my husband if I was on a desert island, all I would need are some chickens and an avocado tree, and I’d be just fine! And having the bed to myself? He’s visiting family in Colorado tonight and tomorrow, I’ll miss him, except for when I stretch out in that empty bed! Ha!

Maureen — April 24, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

#9 cracks me up! My hubby used to “punish” me by not sleeping in our bed when we would fight. Of course I RUINED that by telling, okay screaming, at one point that I did not mind. Way to screw THAT one up. Now it doesn’t matter HOW mad we are at each other, he’ll make sure to sleep in our bed. lol

Lauren — April 24, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

Have you ever put eggs on pizza? Mmmmm…if not, you need to!

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Yes! Love. :)

Cait's Plate — April 24, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

Hahahaha – I really want to see Girls. Note to Self: Don’t watch it with significant other.

And I’m with you on the eggs. LOVE. AFFAIR.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 24, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

bahahaha oh marriage!!

Olivia H — April 24, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

NOOO I haven’t gotten to the Eastbound & Down finale yet!!! Eastbound is soo not trash. It’s HILARIOUS. I love it. I’m glad you love it too.

Mary — April 24, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Funny, my boyfriend is more a fan of Girls than I am (though I don’t think he’s entirely on board yet). I know everyone is up in arms about the entitlement, and that, I agree with; but, it’s strangely not the aspect of the show I find most abrasive. I seriously can’t stand seeing women repeatedly diminishing their own worth and putting themselves in abusive relationships with me. I hate when women can’t stand up for themselves and so it’s very hard for me to watch (despite the witty dialogue).

In fact, the title in and of itself (Girls) sort of encapsulates the belittlement of these grown WOMEN and sets the stage for a show that perpetuates a veiled sort of feminism…..so far, I haven’t been impressed and don’t feel this show is empowering to women, despite how hard it tries.

It would also be nice to see a little more diversity represented on the show: and I’m talking about skin color but I’m not JUST talking about skin color. These characters are all very slight strains of the same general entitled character. What about someone with a bit different morals (a more conservative character) or >gasp< someone with a different skin tone that plays a main part in the show. These people do exist, even in and especially in NYC.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Especially because there are several things I do like about the show (namely the witty dialogue and the actresses' delivery). On the other hand I don't have high hopes for the elements that I consider flawed to be corrected (and I realize many may not characterize my criticisms as flaws).

That is all. This Girls vent has been a long time coming – sorry to hijack the comments of your blog and put it here.

• Jessica — April 24th, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Great comment!

• Katie — April 24th, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Funny thing is, I kinda like that about Girls. I mean, I really like it because it’s laugh out loud funny, but I think the characters being all similar is real, they are old friends. My old friends and I share many of the same qualities as well :) it seems most shows have diversity just to have it, because they feel obligated..

1 2