But that’s not all.

Sweet Corn Fritters with Jalapeño Whipped Cream and Fruit Salsa I howsweeteats.com

There are also strawberries and pineapple(s?) and brown sugar TEQUILA syrup and heaven. And brown sugar tequila syrup.

Oh and I wear bright socks while I… live my life

It makes things 131% better.

Did I tell you there was brown sugar tequi… okay.

This is another recipe from that dessert contest I judged a few weeks ago. As soon as we finished that evening I asked (begged?) the girl (angel?) – Erin – who submitted the recipe if I could puhhhhleeease share it with all of my invisible internet friends because it was incredibly creative and just… wow. Something I would have never came up with myself, something I would have been totally afraid to try unless I was forced, and something that completely blew my brain to pieces.

This.is.gold. Crazy, wild gold.

And the best part? This whole shebang is sort of… light. I know that sounds ten shades of crazy but it is not super rich or heavy. Obviously it was meant as a dessert the night I first ate it, but I also think it could work perfectly as an appetizer.

And here’s the kicker: Erin clearly had to prepare this entire thing for 30 people – the fritters, the fruit, the whipped cream and the syrup – at her HOME, waaaaay before the contest began, and it was still fabulous. So while this is something that I would normally shy away from when trying to serve a crowd (too much going on, too hard to fry on time, too little patience in my brain), I easily think it could work for a starter, snack or treat after dinner. Or as a meal that you cook for yourself on a Sunday afternoon at like 2 o’clock, just because it’s so freaking awesome.

But I don’t know anyone who’d do that.

Anyhoo – while the combination of all four parts totally makes the dish, just trying the fritters, or the whipped cream on something crazy, or the syrup poured directly into your mouth is a wise idea. Thank you Erin for your insanely clever mind! Now please start a blog so you can infuse other delicious foods with booze and feed them to me.

Jalapeno Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy cream

2 jalapenos (1 seeded, 1 not), cut in half

1 tablespoon powdered sugar

The night before, add heavy cream and jalapenos to a bowl, muddle with a muddler or something like a fork, and let soak until you’re ready to serve. Before serving the fritters, strain cream through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and add it to the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat cream on medium-high speed until peaks form, then add in sugar and beat until thicken. Keep cold in the fridge until ready to serve.

Brown Sugar Tequila Syrup

3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/2 cup tequila

1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to a simmer and stir until somewhat syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit at room temperature – syrup will thicken more here.

Sweet Corn Fritters with Chopped Strawberries + Pineapples

serves 2-4

2/3 cup chopped strawberries

2/3 cup chopped pineapple

1 1/4 cups sweet yellow corn

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

5-7 ounces canned coconut milk

oil for frying

Combine strawberries and pineapple in a bowl and let sit at room temperature until ready to serve. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup corn to a food processor. Pulse until somewhat blended, then transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Stir in remaining corn and coconut milk, mixing until a batter forms. You want it to be similar to pancake batter, so if a bit more coconut milk is needed, add it!

Add oil to a medium-sized saucepan until it is 3-4 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F, then spoon 2-3 fritters worth of batter (I used an ice cream scoop) into the oil. Fry for 1-2 minutes, then lightly flip with fry a few more minutes until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel, then repeat with remaining batter. Serve with whipped cream, strawberries and pineapple, and a drizzle of tequila syrup.

P.S. brown.sugar.tequila.syrup. What?

79 Responses to “Sweet Corn Fritters with Jalapeno Whipped Cream.”

Stacy T — May 9, 2012 @ 6:58 am

Oh good lord!!! Hand me a tissue because I’m about to cry!!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 9, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Wow! This is different and I think I’m in love! You incorporated my love for jalapenos with my love for strawberries! Your like a crazy scientist!! I think I love you! :)

Rodzilla — May 9, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Corn is such an under-rated ingredient for sweets. I’ve always wanted to try the Jeni’s Ice Cream flavor that incorporates it – hard to find on the west coast…will you pick it up and tell me about it so I can eat vicariously? I think a few of the corn fritters would go quite well along side.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — May 9, 2012 @ 7:08 am

How sweet of the girl (angel) to share the goods with you! It is pretty inspired.

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — May 9, 2012 @ 7:11 am

I’m loving all the jalapenos you’ve been including in your recipes lately! I hate chopping those things.. especially when I accidentally touch my eyes afterwards.. I’ll never learn.

Anyway. These look amazing Jessica. I’ve never mae corn fritters. They don’t look too hard at all.. and I obviously Love that tequila sauce :)

Simply Life — May 9, 2012 @ 7:33 am

amazing! what a creative recipe!…and I totally wear BRIGHT socks too, with my dress pants :)

Kim in MD — May 9, 2012 @ 7:47 am

What an amazing recipe! I’m so glad you were able to get the recipe to share with us! :-)

Katrina — May 9, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Whoa. These are seriously unique! Love it!

Quiche-ing Queen — May 9, 2012 @ 8:01 am

Flavor combination I would have never come up with. Sounds amazing.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 9, 2012 @ 8:01 am

I would have never thought to combine these ingredients – clearly Erin is a genius and I agree with you, she DOES need to start a blog!

Jenna — May 9, 2012 @ 8:06 am

Whoa. You weren’t joking when you said “creative.” Jalapeno whipped cream initially sounded awful and ridiculous to me, but once I read into it, I’m actually intrigued!

PS: I don’t have enough life in all of your recipes and, for this, I am sorry.

Katie — May 9, 2012 @ 8:27 am

It’s not even 7:30 and I think I need to make these ASAP. I have all the ingredients and I don’t think my 5 and 6 year olds would mind having these for breakfast. Love the combination of sweet and savory! I think I better go get the deep fryer out of the garage. While I have it out I can make the fried cheese curds that we fell in love with at a burger place recently. Thanks for the tempting recipes that entice me early in the morning!

Amber — May 9, 2012 @ 8:34 am

sounds amazing … and yet I am also envisioning how many dishes I would dirty to make this dish!!

Noelle — May 9, 2012 @ 8:42 am

WOW, these look sinful and super sinful….yummmmm

Living The Sweet Life — May 9, 2012 @ 8:50 am

yeaa… soo … I want this.
    now.
    all of it.
    Especially the Brown Suga Tequilla liquid gold.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — May 9, 2012 @ 9:05 am

WHAT?! This woman creates this incredible food and she doesn’t. even. have. a. BLOG??!!! Yes, Erin, if you’re reading all of these comments, PLEASE start one ~ you already have a following!
    That syrup, that fruit, that FRITTER, AND the whipped cream??!! No words.
    And why is it I’m mostly speechless here on How Sweet?
    On another note, Jess, (do you mind if I call you, Jess, haha, it makes me feel as if we’re really close friends! haha either that or a stalker. ;-) ) I made one of my best recipes to date thanks to your roasted strawberries!! Now I CANNOT get ice cream OFF my mind ~ all these incredible flavors keep popping up into my head that I now have to try!! HELP ME!!!
    HUGS!

Lauren — May 9, 2012 @ 9:16 am

Umm….holy mother. This is amazing.

Jessica J — May 9, 2012 @ 9:41 am

These sound amazing…except for the coconut milk since I hate coconut. Could I use regular milk?

• Jessica — May 9th, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Yes, if you do I would use whole milk because of the consistency, but you can’t taste the coconut milk in the fritters at all.

• Jessica J — May 10th, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

Thank you for the response! I am SO making these this weekend!!!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 9, 2012 @ 9:45 am

The brown sugar tequila syrup souinds amazing!!!!! This is such am interesting recipe!!

Bev Weidner — May 9, 2012 @ 9:48 am

I just died.

• Tasha Z — May 9th, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Tell me about it … lmao!

Tasha Z — May 9, 2012 @ 9:57 am

Oh my g-ness … this is like heaven … and tequila … and jalapenos .. oooooooo .. im soooo telling!!!! ;)

Ashley — May 9, 2012 @ 10:02 am

This just blew my mind. Thanks, Erin + Jess! The last photo looks all sorts of doughy + delicious.

Stephanie — May 9, 2012 @ 10:06 am

I was just thinking about corn fritters yesterday. Never tried them this way before though!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 9, 2012 @ 10:15 am

Wow! This is a cool recipe!! It looks AMAZING!

Erin — May 9, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Oh god yes. I grew up on corn fritters, but these are on an entire new level of heavenly.

Chelsy — May 9, 2012 @ 10:29 am

Holy Corn Fritters Batman! OMG! I am pretty sure you had me at Jalapeno Whipped Cream…but seriously, that syrup looks like the icing on the cake…or um fritter.

brandi — May 9, 2012 @ 10:33 am

good Lord. this is just not fair that i have to look at these, from work, when i am nowhere near a kitchen.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — May 9, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Ooohhh these look good!!!! I think I could just eat that little strawberry salad on its own and be a happy camper, though!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 9, 2012 @ 10:58 am

WANT. holy goodness…

Megsiemay @ Megsiemay Makes — May 9, 2012 @ 11:06 am

BROWN SUGAR TEQUILA SYRUP!!

what else can I in good conscience put that on?? a ladle? Cardboard?

Cait's Plate — May 9, 2012 @ 11:19 am

It’s like you’re inside my brain. I literally just had the thought “I really want to make corn fritters” last night before going to bed (yeah…sadly, not an unusual before-bedtime thought for me). These look incredible. And I love your photos today.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 9, 2012 @ 11:54 am

This reminds me summertime when we lived in the south and we’d go out to eat and eat warm hush puppies with fruit salsa and have drinks. This sounds so good to me right now!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 9, 2012 @ 11:56 am

I die! This looks dreamy! I am so glad this angel Erin agreed to share this recipe!

Karly — May 9, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

You’re so damn creative, it amazes me!!! I’ve been peeping this blog for months now and have shared it with my friends. You rock and thanks for the drools

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — May 9, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

Brown sugar tequila syrup? I have no words….. well, except “amazing”!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 9, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Eeee! I would LOVE these! I need to make these! I am a big fan of mixing savory, sweet, and SPICY. The cool whipped cream with the zesty jalapenos, ohhh it’s almost too much. Delish!

Tracy — May 9, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

Sweet Jesus…these look delicious!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 9, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Oh my gosh, sheer brilliance! Fritter. Corn. Jalapeno. Fruit. I LOVE the texture and flavor combos. This is making me go berzerk!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — May 9, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Im intrigued. So there isn’t any actual jalapeno in the whipped cream, just the essence (essence? sure) from soaking it in the whipped cream overnight?

• Jessica — May 9th, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Correct! However Erin also made another batch that included processing the jalapenos with the cream and then straining – so either works!

honeywhatscooking — May 9, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

oh my , this looks scrumptious.. totally my kinda meal. love jalapeno poppers.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 9, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Sweet corn fritters and jalapeno whipped cream?! I think I just went to Southern foodie heaven. Awesome recipe, Jessica!

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) — May 9, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

I love wear bright socks too :)

Julie — May 9, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

:( this blog is hazerdouse to my waistline.. HOW DO YOU STAY SO THIN?

Rocky Mountain Woman — May 9, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

That looks perfect! I love the spicy/sweet combo…

The photographs are gorgeous!

Megan Q — May 9, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

Jalapeno whipped cream?! That is insane (in a good way!) it makes me wonder what else you can infuse whipped cream with.. hmmmmmmm……

Tracy — May 9, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

I just tried corn fritters and fell in love with them. I can’t wait to make them at home!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 9, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

CANNOT wait to make these.

sando @ the daily deelight — May 9, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

holy sheet! this post is too much! gorgeous photos + incredible recipe. bravo!!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — May 9, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

I love all things sweet and spicy. This sounds incredible!!

Sarah B. — May 9, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

Question… Fresh corn? Canned corn? Also, totally forwarding this to mom.

1. Pingback: Nice to See You Again | girlsthatrun

2. Pingback: Sweet Corn Fritters with Fresh Cherries and a Spicy Chocolate Sauce | The Food Doctors