I fully believe something.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

At certain times, there isn’t much better in this world than chocolate chip cookies. And chocolate chip cookies are so perfect on their own that they rarely need to be trashed up.

Right? Right.

Fortunately I’m always right. My husband loves it.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Annnnd another thing I fully believe is that store-bought cookies generally taste like garbage. With a few exceptions (I’m looking at you, E.L. Fudge), I will almost always choose to take the time to throw together a quick batch, or I’d much rather have another dessert. Like cheesecake. This is like one of those life lessons you learn while growing up, after multiple emotional breakdowns in your 20s when the peanut butter cookies near the check-out line accidentally jump in your cart, you break in to them before you’re out of the parking lot which is only followed by utter disappointment because they taste like chemical cardboard.

And speaking of life lessons learned in your 20s, I really feel like I need to learn how to sew. I don’t want to at all, but am not sure I’ll feel complete hitting 30 without doing so. Shucks.

So… just say no to store-bought cookies.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

EXCEPT… when you live right near an incredible bakery that makes some of the best cookies known to man. Like cookies the size of your head. Cookies so thick, that you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to recreate such things and it drives you seriously insane.

Do you know how good these cookies are? My husband recently admitted that back in time, pre-Jessica, he was dating a girl that lived nearly an hour away, and actually feared the relationship moving forward because he could not fathom moving out of his apartment… which was less than a mile away from the cookies. He was scared to death to leave the cookies, which okay- whatever, may have been fear of commitment or something – and suffered from severe anxiety over being so far from the cookies.

I wish you could see how serious he was about this. Not a lash was blinked. Not was smirk was formed.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Anyway – we’ve been back on the cookie bandwagon. Big time. And over Memorial Day weekend, we had like, eight cookies left by the time Monday night rolled around, and after such gluttonous festivities, these cookies NEEDED to be gone. But um… you can’t just throw these cookies away. And really, we didn’t want to feel like pigs and actually EAT them all… because they are huge.

But! I had a total lightbulb moment. If I blended the cookies in a milkshake, then it wouldn’t be like we were REALLY eating them all. We’re like, drinking them. Very different then chewing. And since I had a ton of coffee ice cream leftover and screaming my name in the freezer… you can obviously see what I did.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Except now? This is a huge problem. I can’t stop making these stupid shakes. They are SO GOOD. Now, when I head to Delallo’s on the weekend, I have to buy even MORE cookies. Enough cookies to eat, and extra cookies to blend in the milkshakes. Huge, huge problem.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes

makes 2 shakes

2 cups coffee ice cream

1 1/2 cups milk (I used vanilla almond-coconut milk)

1/2 cup kahlua

2 large chocolate chip cookies + 1 more to crumble on top

6 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to a blender and process until almost smooth, leaving some small pieces of cookie if possible. Pour in glasses and crumble more cookies on top. Serve!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com
Save me.

100 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Kahlua Milkshakes.”

Erika - The Teenage Taste — June 8, 2012 @ 7:07 am

OMG, COOKIES in a milkshake?! Jess, have I told you that I loved you lately? :-P

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 8, 2012 @ 7:11 am

OMG! Your recipes are amazing! I don’t know where you come up with stuff!! I have to make this! My Husband would just love it!!!! I CANNOT wait!!!

Julia — June 8, 2012 @ 7:14 am

For the love, what the heck ARE their secrets in the recipes, freaking KILLS me too!!!!! Love all the ingredients in the milkshake!

Kim in MD — June 8, 2012 @ 7:15 am

No, no, no to store bought cookies, although I your bakery cookies do look delicious! It’s a good think Mr. How Sweet didn’t get serious with that girl. Now he not only now gets to keep his cookies, but he is married to a woman who can turn those cookies into liquid gold-aka this milkshake! This looks to die for! :-)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — June 8, 2012 @ 7:28 am

These can’t be legal.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 8, 2012 @ 7:35 am

Ohhhh yummm! I could do with one of these right about now! And ditto on the learning to sew… I take all my clothes that need sewing (including the ones that need buttons put back on, which technically I could probably do myself) to my mum’s house when I go to visit. But I’m not quite as bad as a university student – I do my own laundry. ;) Happy Friday Jess!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — June 8, 2012 @ 7:38 am

Haha I love that story about your husband and the ex-girlfriend. Hilarious. But I love this recipe even more. You impress me more and more every day!

Katrina — June 8, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Whoa. These are insanely awesome looking!! Yum!

Liz — June 8, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Absolutely right! Cheers to those milkshakes, oh yeah.

luv what you do — June 8, 2012 @ 7:53 am

What an incredible looking shake! I think I would have one ever day if I could!!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — June 8, 2012 @ 8:27 am

This has to be the most wonderful milkshake in existence – I can’t imagine anything better!

Amy W — June 8, 2012 @ 8:29 am

It drives me INSANE that my boyfriend’s mom and step dad would rather eat store bought cookies. I’m totally on board with e.l. Fudge though. Theres just something so good about them!

This milkshake reminds me of one of the secret starbucks drinks where they put biscotti in the blender. Also it reminds me of Portillos’ Chocolate Cake Shake. Clearly food+ ice cream = amazing shake.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 8, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Chocolate Chip cookies can NEVER be thrown away… this is the best solution!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 8, 2012 @ 8:43 am

Shut the front door!! How is this milkshake even legal?? It looks too good!

Jordana — June 8, 2012 @ 8:48 am

I’m so glad I saw this before I do my weekly grocery shopping. So I can include extra stuff to make chocolate chip cookies, to make these milkshakes!! YUMM :)

Jessica — June 8, 2012 @ 8:49 am

I love that you said “Pre-Jessica” bc we always refer to my husband’s stories about all their crazy times out on his family’s boat with friends as “SBJ”, Summers Before Jess.

Madeline — June 8, 2012 @ 9:28 am

The only store bought cookies I will buy are only sold in Maryland (to my knowledge): Berger Cookies. Cookies covered in fudge. I would love to see your take on these :) There’s also a place in Baltimore that blends them into an alcoholic milkshake (fudge + cookies + alcohol + ice cream = amazzzzing).

• Lauren — June 8th, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

Where’s that?! Those of us new to the area need to know this information!

• Madeline — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

Abbey Burger Bistro – GO!! http://www.abbeyburgerbistro.com/ My fiance is from Baltimore and the food/drink culture there is AWESOME. You’ll love it :)

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

I need that in my life.

Stephanie — June 8, 2012 @ 9:31 am

Wow. Just.. wow. How have I never thought to put cookies IN the milkshake? I always eat them with a milkshake… but IN the milkshake?!??! You’re a genius, Jess.

Cait's Plate — June 8, 2012 @ 9:37 am

Oh goodness. I don’t think you need saving, I think you need to take us all down with you!

Devon @ The Food Bitch Blog — June 8, 2012 @ 9:42 am

Good God, woman. You’re killing me.

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 8, 2012 @ 9:55 am

Brilliant. These look stunning!

Steph@PlainChicken.com — June 8, 2012 @ 9:55 am

OMG – this should be illegal! Looks SO good!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 8, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Ohhh my goodness! What a indulgent treat! And boozy too, which is always good :)

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — June 8, 2012 @ 10:31 am

So funny that you mentioned the Delallo bakery! Last weekend my mom was in Irwin and stopped at Delallo on the way home and picked up fresh bread, tons of Italian lunchmeat, cheese, bruschetta, etc. aaaaand a chocolate chip cookie. Best “store-bought” chocolate chip cookie ever, loved it!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

Ah!! So good, right? We should go there sometime together and make a little lunch!

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — June 8, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Oh my gosh – these look amazing! Way to start my weekend off right :)

Joy — June 8, 2012 @ 10:42 am

This looks so delicious and so easy.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 8, 2012 @ 10:44 am

welp, guess i’m going to go invest in some plus-size jeans…

Steph@stephsbitebybite — June 8, 2012 @ 11:00 am

Why?!! Why did you have to do this to me?!! It’s friday and when I get off work I’m immediately going to a cafe, buying a dozen cookies, then hitting up the store for ice cream and booze. I mean at least you did this to me on Friday…let’s see how a Saturday morning COOKIE booze hangover feels!

Amy @Macncheesenpeas — June 8, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Oh my. These look incredible! genius!

Hannah Jayne — June 8, 2012 @ 11:22 am

I don’t see a single thing wrong with weighing love of person vs. love of proximity to good cookies. Of course, that probably explains why I’m still single at 36, but what I can say? Men are a dime a dozen. Good cookies? Much more rare.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — June 8, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Bakery cookies are AMAZING, especially Italian bakery cookies. Fact.

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — June 8, 2012 @ 11:25 am

100% pure genius. Drinking cookies definitely is different than eating them… I like where your brain’s at.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 8, 2012 @ 11:31 am

I’m approaching 30 as well and asked for a sewing machine for xmas last year. I’ve only used it once, lol. I have dreams of making curtains and pillows like my mom. Someday…

And um, I want this shake for breakfast!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

Oh man, you are ambitious! I just want to know how to sew a button on a shirt.

Stephanie — June 8, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Way to be creative about leftover cookies! If I ever have any, now I know what to do with them. ^_^

Jenna — June 8, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Thanks for giving me permission to make a mess in my kitchen, because judging by your photos, I will make a mess of this. Which is awesome. (Except afterwards, when I always regret it. For a short while.)

Catalina @ Cake with Love — June 8, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

I used to make milkshakes using oreos, even if they are store bought they taste amazing in a milkshake!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 8, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

A guy who isn’t willing to move far from a bakery b/c of his love for cookies is a guy worth holding onto forever :)

This sounds fabulous!

Mia — June 8, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

I clearly am going to inhale this sometime this weekend. Possibly more than once. Possibly sometimes with cookie dough in it. Possibly ruining my diet and/or having to exercise like crazy for the rest of the weekend. Possibly not caring about any of it.

What is wrong with my life?

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

I love this.

collette — June 8, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

How are you not 300 lbs???? I gain weight just looking at your blog! I know you love to exercise- which I just can’t wrap my head around- I am trying to love it -but it just ain’t happenin’! This looks AMAZING!!!

Samantha — June 8, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

I’m in LOVE with that almond-coconut milk. It’s fabulous.

The shake looks epic. =)

Jennifer — June 8, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

I believe I need to make these this weekend…and then work them off on Monday :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 8, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I am drooling over those cookies and that milkshake. Currently browsing the bakery website and trying to figure out if I can have cookies delivered this weekend. ::fingers crossed::

Julie F — June 8, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

Jessica, delallos is awesome, but have you ever Nancy B’s bakery chocolate chip cookies?! They are a tiny little bakery in homestead and OMG they are THE most amazing things ever. They’re almost always warm because they bake so many daily; I highly recommend!! :)

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

OMG… yes! I used to have a client that brought me them all the time – WARM – and they were the best things ever.

Rocky Mountain Woman — June 8, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

perfect! love the combo of creamy and crunch….

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable — June 8, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

Girrrrrrl you just gave me the BEST idea! A friend just brought me a bottle of peanut butter vodka and I have been brainstorming what to do with it (other than shots, duh). Spiked peanut butter cookie shake!

Karriann — June 8, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

You are such a genius! You should patent this or something ;)

“Happy Cooking”

Melissa — June 8, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Wow these look incredible! I thinking the next time I make cookies to make these for sure!

Vicki @ WITK — June 8, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

You’re so right about storebought cookies, except oreos, which I eat by the row.

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — June 8, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

I want one now!! Amazing creation!

Alyssa — June 8, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

where do you find almond coconut milk?

• Jessica — June 10th, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

I get it at my local grocery store – it’s the Almond Breeze brand!

1. Pingback: Me want cookies…and kahlua « College Kid Yoga