These are the kind of cookies that make you love your face.

Like… Dear Face,

Thank you for having a mouth. And teeth. And taste buds. They make all the difference.

Signed,

My body that freaks out over cookies.

That’s the type of girl I am. But it’s not JUST the cookies that make me thankful – it’s the chocolate and peanut butter which we all know – blah blah blah – is the most devourable combination in the world. Yeah yeah – totally true information but nothing new.

But everyone needs a reminder now and then.

You know what other type of girl I am? I’m the type of girl that spies the organic chocolate covered coconut flakes that she’s been eyeing in Whole Foods for ages in the airport, and easily plucks them off the rack, assuming that they obviously must not cost as much IN THE FREAKING AIRPORT as they would in Whole Foods. Liiiiike maybe they will be $4. I’m the type of girl that walks them up to the cashier, grabbing the Maria Menunous-splattered Shape on my way, because reading about that and looking at her abs cancels out the chocolate coconut I plan to eat during my ten hour travel day. Sort of like a mini workout. I’m also the type of girl who sort of just doesn’t get it when the total bill comes to $20.38, and pays anyway, only to realize an hour later when tearing open the bag that I PAID $15 FOR COCONUT. In the gross, disgusting, germ-infested, traffic-jammed funneled airport. And it’s not because I have like, enough disposable income to justify $15 coconut (FROM THE AIRPORT)… it’s really just because I am sickly lazy and irresponsible, and when in the epitome of my lazi-and-irresponsibilitiness, I figure that it’s no big deal to spend a portion of this week’s grocery budget on garbage IN THE AIRPORT.

Apologies for the wall of text. Nothing’s worse, I know.

I am having a very difficult time getting over this. If you haven’t noticed.

And the worst part? All I wanted when I got home, after chewing on what should have been gold-plated coconut and a cup of tart frozen yogurt… were these cookies. Most normal people would be like… OMG, I soooo need a salad. Or, give me greens! Or even… maybe I shouldn’t eat tonight AT ALL since I consumed multiple five course meals in the last two days. But me? I’m like… oh, I find it completely appropriate to eat these cookies. Because I sometimes eat what I call the “jerky teenager diet.” No offense, teens. I’m just a jealous girl.

But there were no cookies to be found, because these were consumed almost instantly after baking. Even my husband – who isn’t a huge fan of the chocolate slash peebee combo, which obviously means he is abnormal – took them down like they were straight up, chewy chocolate chips. They meet all of my favorite cookie qualifications – chewy, gooey and intensely chocolate – which simply means I must make them again today. I don’t hate it.

Peanut Butter Drizzled Chewy Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies

[adapted from the giant rainbow cookies]

makes about 20-24 cookies

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1 cup loosely brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

8 ounces high-quality milk chocolate, chopped into chunks

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 tablespoon coconut oil

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add in dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms ā€“ it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point! Fold in chocolate chunks.

Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place on a nonstick baking sheet (or use this method of stacking the dough!) about 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until the middles are just set. Don’t over bake! Let cool almost completely. While cookies are cooling, melt peanut butter (I did so in the microwave for about 30 seconds) and stir in coconut oil, until the oil is melted. Drizzle peanut butter over cookies, and let set for 10-15 minutes. Eat!

So much better than coconut strips.

104 Responses to “Peanut Butter Drizzled Chewy Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies.”

Rodzilla — June 29, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

At least those chocolate covered coconut pieces are REALLY good, probably not quite on part with these cookies – but at least now you know they’re a good grab sans airport shopping.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 29, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

Girl these are epic. You outdid yourself. The Rainbow cookies, i.e. Cooks Illustrated Recipe, is my go to recipe for choc chip cookies and all other cookies as my dough base. I have better luck with creaming the butter than melting it though. The drizzle on these just makes them so extra pretty!

And airport kiosks are pretty much the biggest ripoff EVER!

Esther — June 29, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

I mean…really. This is incredible. What kind of milk have you got there? It looks different…creamy almost..

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 29, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

These cookies look REALLY GOOD!! I had to shout that out. :P

Shannon @ A Fork In Each Hand — June 29, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Great, after trying to eat good today, now my mouth is watering!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 29, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

oh my gosh those look incredible! i LOVE choc/pb together — I’d write a letter to my face about that combo too! :)

Katrina — June 29, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

I could die now. These are all I need.

Diana — June 29, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

…and, she is back!

Stephanie — June 29, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

I don’t get the point of stacking the cookie dough…don’t the 2 cookies stick together? explanation please!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 29, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

How can he not like chocolate and pb?! Is he from another planet? lol ;) I swear I could taste these the moment I saw them and now need them stat.

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

I KNOW.

Ashleigh — June 29, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

I just love your blog. You are too funny!! Not to mention your ooey-gooey recipes. Mmmmm :)

Erica — June 29, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

Is there anything I could melt with the PB instead of coconut oil? I don’t regularly buy it. These look so good though so I want to make them anyway!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — June 29, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

You just want to kill us with these don’t you? Holy cow…I can’t even begin to describe the amazingness of them. Want. Need. Sigh.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — June 29, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

I don’t get the not liking chocolate and peanut butter together. My boyfriend doesn’t like it, and it makes me so stabby. Whatever. More for me!

MikeVFMK — June 30, 2012 @ 3:20 am

Seriously?! That’s not even fair. Crazy delicious looking cookies. It’s a gift to make cookies look that good.

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — June 30, 2012 @ 7:52 am

Thanks for showing off these cookies, sometimes I don’t like my face and now I have a reminder of why my face is so awesome! Love the drizzle.

Claire Deeley — June 30, 2012 @ 10:17 am

Yum! How about throwing the coconut IN these cookies
    I might just have to see how that would turn out…

Moni Meals — June 30, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

No way, these are seriously like the best cookies ever. :-) You’re so funny, you remind me of myself at the airport, darn those airports and the things we do out of boredom, right?! Sigh.

Julia — July 1, 2012 @ 7:14 am

So much better than coconut strips and salads and greens.

Honey What's Cooking — July 1, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

nice job Jessica… love the cookies, I bet they taste amazing. Love the pb drizzle, so creative. AND OMG, that picture with the chococlate falling in is amazing, you should win a prize for that or something. Captured beautifully.

Maren — July 1, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

How am I ever supposed get wedding ready if you keep posting these recipes?! omgggg.

Mary — July 2, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Hi,
    I was wondering if in the peanut butter drizzle, could I sub milk for coconut oil?

• Jessica — July 2nd, 2012 @ 10:48 am

The coconut oil is only in there because it helps the peanut butter harden – it doesn’t taste like coconut. If you don’t want to use it or don’t have it, I’d just use the peanut butter itself – the milk would make it way too runny and it would never harden on the cookie.

Erin — July 2, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Anything with peanut butter can make love to my face

Jen Marie — July 2, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

SO, it’s confession time. I really have been having this love affair with peanut butter. As in, every day I open the peanut butter and get out a spoon and eat, say 1/4 – 1/2 cup right from the spoon. I’ve tried to stop, but I just can’t. I’ve gone through about a jar per week. It’s not a good thing. I don’t know what to do about it. I really have tried to stop. I was eating it at work, so I took the jar home, but now I eat it as soon as I get in thorugh the door.
    So, believe me when I say that this recipe speaks to me in a very personal way. Melty peanut butter? Drizzled?
    I die.

Dixie — July 5, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

These look AMAZING! Peanut butter is definintely one of my favorite things in the entire world. Chocolate is my second favorite thing. Peanut butter & chocolate…the only thing that can cure a bad day–every time. Also, just have to say, I love your blog! Everything about it.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 5, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

Oh my goodness… These cookies look absolutely amazing. I know they wouldn’t last long at my house!

Dani — July 11, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

yes please. x 5000
    I don’t know who comes home from work and craves salad. I definitely never do.

Krystal — July 11, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

Made these today. I must say, they are very delicious. I brought them to work to share but ended up saving half a dozen for myself. lol. Awesome recipe.

Cassie — August 23, 2012 @ 6:18 am

I love your rant.
    That is all.
    Oh, I just found your link on Pinterest and I’m making these tomorrow.
    And my other half is abnormal too as it turns out.
    That is all.
    Actual.
    Cassie.
    xx

Nika — September 30, 2012 @ 3:54 am

These are incredibly good. I used Toblerone milk chocolate, and the way the chunks remain gooey is just fantastic.

Leslie @ Triathlete Treats — January 24, 2013 @ 7:49 pm

These look delicious!! I was just trying to find a peanut butter recipe to make for National Peanut Butter Day!!!

Nina — March 15, 2013 @ 12:22 pm

I just made these this morning to bring to a party tonight. Now if only I can manage not to eat them all and show up to the party empty-handed, I’d call this a success! :)

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 138 | my kitchen addiction

2. Pingback: Peanut Butter Drizzled Chewy Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies | Food-Smut

3. Pingback: What Are You Baking For The Holiday Season? | Lifestyle Pins

4. Pingback: The Ultimate Christmas Cookie Post « oh so decadent

5. Pingback: 30 Delicious Cookies {Perfect for the Holidays} | A Cedar Spoon | A Cedar Spoon

6. Pingback: Frugal Tuesdays: Cheap Holiday Dessert Recipes | carpe season

7. Pingback: Peanut Butter Drizzled Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies | A Seat at the Table

8. Pingback: Holiday Cookie Recipes for Cookie Swaps, Gifts, & Eating ā€” Dramatis Personae

9. Pingback: HowSweetFridays: Peanut Butter Drizzled Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies ā€“

10. Pingback: 15 Chippy Peanut Butter Cookies