Luckily, there’s only been a handful of times in my life when I’ve been seriously disappointed.

…when I learned the truth about Santa, even though at age 14 I still begged my brothers to sleep in my bed with me because I was so horrified of a portly, hairy man seeing me while I was sleeping. See also: when I learned the truth about Dirty Dancing. Like it not being real life.

…when my mom claimed that parmesan truffle fries tasted… “funny.”

…when I found out that Alanis was really singing about Uncle Joey in In You Oughta Know. [At least it wasn’t Uncle Jesse though, because I may have hoisted myself over the Golden Gate in depressing tribute.]

…when I found out about skinny jeans. Basically, just skinny jeans in general.

…oh, and that time I tried to make a pie crust like Mother Lovett and ran screaming for the hills, swearing off all pastry for life. Without ever writing part two.

But no fear. Definitely no disappointment here. You don’t have to make a crust, or press it into a dish, or make cute little designs on the edges that look like crap while everyone else’s look amazing. And you certainly don’t have to do any of that lattice junk over the top and wait a million years while it bakes and sets up.

All you have to do is throw some stuff in a mug and eat it. It’s like the lazy man’s pie. I like it, I do I do.

And it may not even really be a pie, but what the heck else should I call it? Strawberries in a mug with crust? Um, no. Come onnnnnn people. Don’t get picky with me today… I’m just showing you how to make a dessert in minutes and eat it with a spoon. Mug pie is where it’s AT. Syrupy, juicy strawberries underneath some serious puff pastry crust. UGH… I just love puff pastry. I think on my bucket list I shall add “eat an entire plain puff pastry sheet” and see where it takes me.

You don’t need to make these in a mug – you can clearly make them in a cutie ramekin or even a small sort of bowl. You don’t have to put your mugs in the oven since that’s not always safe, but I used some older mugs that I knew had handled the heat before, and that are also my husband’s ancient (not in a good way) dish ware from the pre-Jessica days. I’ve only been trying to get rid of that junk for almost four years (I give it away to everyone, why must they be good people and give it back?!) so if it shattered in the oven, I’m not gonna lie… I wouldn’t shed a tear.

If you still want to serve the little pies in mugs, you can roast the strawberries in a dish, puff the pastry (hardy har har) in the oven, then assemble it together in a mug right before serving. Because holding a pie in your hand with a big spoon while you sit on the couch is definitely something we should all be doing. Like today.

Strawberry Mug Pies

serves 4

2 pounds of fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

pinch of salt

1 thawed puff pastry sheet, cut into 4 circles/squares to sit on the mugs

1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a baking dish, combine strawberries, sugar, flour, salt and mix to combine. Either divide the mixture into 4 mugs or ramekins, or keep it in the baking dish. Place cut puff pastry either over top of the mug or ramekin, or on a baking sheet, and brush with beaten egg. Place the mugs on a baking sheet and place in the oven (or just place the baking dish and sheet with pastry in the oven). Bake for 25-30 minutes, checking once in between to stir strawberries and see how the pastry is coming along. When pastry is golden and puffed, remove and let cool to the touch (about 5 minutes) then serve (or spoon the strawberries into the mug and top with pastry).

Additionally, forgive me for using a grapefruit spoon to eat my pie. That’s what happens when literally every utensil you own is dirty and you’re too lazy to hand wash one.

125 Responses to “Strawberry Mug Pies.”

Charissa — June 1, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Convenient, brilliant idea…thank you for sharing. YUMMERS!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 1, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Well arent these just the most adorable and juiciest little mugs of glory ever! YUM!

Joy — June 1, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

Those are adorable.

Helen Mahar — June 1, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

She was actually singing about Dave Coulier!

• Mei — April 12th, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

Dave Coulier is actually Uncle Joey, woah! Duhh…

Dana — June 1, 2012 @ 8:14 pm

These look delicious! Do you think there’s a way they can be modified to be made in a microwave?

Harper — June 1, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

I love this concept. Single serving cutesy things are fantastic!!

Marisa — June 1, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

Just made these, and YUM, they were amazing! My son said they tasted like strawberry pop tarts (a huge compliment from a 4 year old).

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 1, 2012 @ 9:15 pm

Soooo much better than making (and failing) at a whole pie!

katie — June 1, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

oh dear god, this is your best one yet….
    i’m startled just thinking about the spectacle i’d make with the bottom of that bowl {think tongue scraping every lost drop}.
    bravo!
    love,
    katie

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 1, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

loving your strawberry kick!!!

Christina Main — June 2, 2012 @ 2:58 am

Oh heavens did I “LOL” at this post. …but seriously, Uncle Joey?! Are you serious???

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 2, 2012 @ 6:10 am

Oh, yum, yum YUM!!!
    That’s all I’m sayin’.

Niki — June 2, 2012 @ 6:43 am

I love your blog. I sing in a James T tribute band hence attracted by the blog name. I have only made one of your recipes (divine little cinnamon cup cakes) as I’m a bit (very) lazy in the baking dept (although this one looks too easy not to try). However, I always repost ‘how sweet it is’ on my Facebook page in the vain hope my friends will think I’m cool in the kitchen. Now just earnestly praying they never ask me to provide baked goods at a future social engagement. Thank you again. You make my week.

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2012 @ 7:01 am

James Taylor tribute band?! OH MY GOSh!

Jennifer — June 2, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Pie in a mug! Easy and yummy.

Mim — June 2, 2012 @ 8:33 am

While I’m fighting the robins over our strawberries I do have some luscious frozen blueberries from last summer….am thinking they might be a good replacement. BTW, puffed pastry is considered a food group in my house. Love it!

Melanie — June 2, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Uhm, Where is Uncle Jesse now? This is darling and I want it NOW! Send Uncle Jesse too…….

jessica lynn — June 2, 2012 @ 10:19 am

I hereby declare this “deployment pie,” because I have a feeling i’ll be making this a lot during our upcoming deployment. Easy, delicious, perfect-for-one desserts are just what I need!

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — June 2, 2012 @ 10:35 am

yum this looks amazing!

Patty — June 2, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Hi Jessica,

Love, your blog, love the Strawberry Pie in a Cup and Oh, I love the cups! So, feel free to mail the set of dish’s to me. LOL

Patty :)

Lisa — June 2, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Jessica, normally I would never question your superior knowledge of baking, however 25-30 minutes baking puff pastry in a 400 degree oven seems way too long to me. My experience with puff pastry is that it usually browns within 10-15 min. Could that have been a typo or should I just shut the heck up and try it first? Also thinking this would also work with cherries and peaches too.

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Oh I definitely don’t have a ton of knowledge when baking – because the strawberries kept getting so juicy underneath it took a lot longer to puff up each time. You can def check it after that 15 minutes, but in all 3 trials mine needed at least 25!

Sharon — June 2, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

Is it wrong to say that I’ve got the biggest girl, wish-you-lived-next-door-to-me-so-I-could-hang-out-in-your-kitchen, crush on Jennifer? I KNOW I’m not alone. I can not wait to try the mug pie. Seriously. I. Can. Not. Wait.

Sadie — June 2, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

” or make cute little designs on the edges that look like crap while everyone else’s look amazing”

I’m glad it’s not just me. :)

Dana — June 2, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

You had me at “hardy har har.”

Sharyn Dimmick — June 3, 2012 @ 12:23 am

Love the writing and the sense of humor. I have never understood why anyone liked cooked strawberries though — in my humble opinion they are wasted in pies because they taste so much better raw. Don’t get me wrong — pies, crisps and crumbles are my favorite desserts — just not made with strawberries. I say bake some biscuits and eat shortcake instead. But if you want to talk blueberries or blackberries or raspberries…

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — June 3, 2012 @ 7:55 am

I just discovered roasted strawberries and it´s almost life changing! Especially this time of year when we have strawberries that seem great but don´t have the right sweet taste. I can say I learn from your blog Jessica, a grapefruit spoon?! Never knew existed. It looks cool

Laura — June 3, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

I make pies almost weekly. I love making them so much but if this little habit of mine continues then I’m either going to have to double the amount I run or I’ll going to be huuuuuge…How lovely these small little things are when I don’t want to eat a whole pie (not that I eat it in one sitting or anything)

Emily — June 3, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

This looks delicious! Also, I ate my breakfast cereal with a plastic Menchie’s frozen yogurt spoon this morning. :)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — June 3, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

Out of this world! Yummy! I thought this is the chocolate waffle spoon (for when you eat them standing) :)

Devon @ the food bitch blog — June 3, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

That’s funny that your mom thought you parmesan truffle fries tasted “funny”. My mom HATED my truffle bacon mashed potatoes. Turns out she’s just a freak who doesn’t like truffle oil :P

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 4, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

I had no idea Alanis was singing about uncle Joey!!!!

Mia — June 4, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

I made the pie filling yesterday morning to top some pancakes (recipe from Brown-Eyed Baker). It was amazing! Less amazing: that my kitchen was still such a mess from baking a cake the day before that I had to stir the filling ingredients with an ice cream scoop. It was literally the only clean mix-y thing, besides one whisk – and I had to save that to make the pancake batter.

Mary — June 4, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

Ok my mind is seriously blown because somehow I never knew that Joey and Alanis Morisette dated. Since reading this post I have confirmed your story on wikipedia, tracked down the lyrics to “You Oughtta Know” (mind also blown while reading through those…..I sang these words as a tween?) and am now getting ready to download on iTunes. The lazy man’s pies, I’ll get around to (such an easy recipe – awesome and thank you!).

Cecilia @ My Life San Gluten — June 4, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

*Drool* This is perfect to make for 2 people… and easy to stick to one portion!
    Thanks!

Eurlinda Sandys — June 5, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

I think I will serve them hot with a tiny tiny scoup of vanilla ice cream, this can be so elegant. Thank You

CallmeBlair — May 19, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

Jessica, just curious about if you decide to put the puff pastry on the mug at the start of baking. If you go that route, is it just assumed you would not stir the strawberry mixture halfway through? I think I’d much prefer the crusts to be “baked” on like mini pies instead of cooked separately and placed on top. Thanks!

• Racquel — May 24th, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

I was wondering the same thing??

Edna — October 16, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

Looks yummy and I guess it works with other berries too.

1. Pingback: Sample Saturday | Homekeeping Adventures

2. Pingback: Mini Strawberry Pies : Sweeter Lemon

3. Pingback: How Sweet It Is Strawberry Mug Pies | Killer Bunnies, Inc

4. Pingback: Strawberry Pie | Smiley Smith Kitchens

5. Pingback: A Mug Inspiring Compilation | nomnivorefood

6. Pingback: A Cake in a Mug | Whisk

7. Pingback: Drool | Autumn People

8. Pingback: Mug Recipes

9. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | Select Group Real Estate

10. Pingback: 15 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | World class cooking recipes

11. Pingback: Prepará todo en una taza - Chismes Mundo | Chismes Mundo

12. Pingback: Adorable Single Serving Mug Foods | OMG Cute Things

13. Pingback: Strawberry Recipe Round-Up | Chocolate Moosey

14. Pingback: Strawberry Round up

15. Pingback: 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug | The Food Explorer

16. Pingback: 10 Simple And Delicious Meals In A Mug You Simply Have To Try - Exquisite Girl

17. Pingback: Mug Recipes | hidden in london

18. Pingback: รวม 10 ไอเดียของหวานและขนมเค้กแสนอร่อย ที่ทำได้ง่ายๆจากไมโครเวฟ | NaiBann.com - แบบบ้าน แต่งบ้าน เฟอร

19. Pingback: รวม 10 ไอเดียของหวานและขนมเค้กแสนอร่อย ที่ทำได้ง่ายๆจากไมโครเวฟ | NaiBann.com - แบบบ้าน แต่งบ้าน เฟอร

20. Pingback: Strawberry Pie in a Mug | Nibbles and Noshing

21. Pingback: Miércoles de diseño: Recetas originales en una taza y en pocos minutos

22. Pingback: Microwaves Make for Fast, Easy Meals - Goedeker's Home Life Blog