Snack time!

I’m working on a fun project with Pavan Liqueur (uh, is the bottle not the most gorgeous thing you’ve ever seen?) – sharing a few super simple, classic movie-time snacks to pair with their signature cocktails. Pavan is this delicious liqueur made with muscat grapes and orange blossom and basically has my name written all over it. The day I got a bottle, it was definitely tasted on the rocks. But it’s even better INSIDE some fab cocktails… and they are incredibly pretty too. This is all in preparation for the Nantucket film festival at the end of June – where we will be serving said fun snacks with cocktails and watching some vintage French films.

I know. !!!

I obviously had to go with the margarita first (which has a touch of grapefruit in it, gah) and since Pavan pairs well with cheese… old school nachos it is. The days where the jalapeños were piled high on those boxes of nachos – and subsequently freaking me the heck out – were burned into my brain, but I thought candied jalapeños were so much better. They totally are.

These nachos may be anything but fancy, but with the sweet peppers and homemade queso you don’t need anything else. (okay, maybe bacon.) For once, I’m okay with simple.

Easy Movie Nachos with Fontina Queso + Candied Jalapeños

Yield: serves 2

Total Time: 25 minutes (or less)

candied jalapeños
4 jalapeño peppers, stems removed and sliced into rounds
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
the juice of 1 lime
3/4 cups granulated sugar

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoons diced sweet onion
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon flour
1/3 cup milk
8 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
a pinch of salt + pepper
a bunch of your favorite tortilla chips (I used organic yellow corn)

To prepare jalapeños, combine vinegar, water, lime juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking to dissolve the sugar then reduce to a simmer and cook until syrupy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the sliced peppers to the mixture, increasing the heat once more so it's bubbling and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until peppers are wilting and no longer bright green. Remove the peppers with a slotted spoon and place in a refrigerater-safe jar or container. Simmer the syrup for another 2-3 minutes, then pour it over top of the peppers. Store in the fridge. You can make these ahead of time and pull them from the fridge when ready.
If you'd like to properly can them or preserve them, you can find directions here.

For the queso, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add oil. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Whisk in flour and let cook for a minute, then add in milk and fontina, stirring until melted.

I like to spread the tortilla chips on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven for a few minutes. Immediately pour the cheese over nachos then cover with jalapeños.

[jalapeños adapted from serious eats]

That cheese… oomph.

53 Responses to “Easy Movie Nachos with Fontina Queso + Candied Jalapeños.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 8, 2013 @ 8:18 am

That is the prettiest liquor bottle I’ve ever seen. Wow, what a stunning bottle. Id buy it just to have that bottle.

And the sound of candied jalapeños … wow, I’d be in heaven with that one!

Tieghan — June 8, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Whoa! That bottle is so pretty! You are right!

These nachos are KILLER! And oh my gosh those candid jalapenos! Awesome!! I want these!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — June 8, 2013 @ 8:40 am

Honestly this is my problem with buy drinks. I never want to open them because they look too pretty!
    Who doesn’t like a nacho or two on a weekend? Great reipe

April @ BarbellsandBellinis — June 8, 2013 @ 8:52 am

I will definitely be needing a cocktail to wash down the embarrassingly large quantities of this cheese dip I inhale. Yum.

Kylie @ immaeatthat — June 8, 2013 @ 9:11 am

For serious…THAT CHEESE!! This recipe crushes any food I’ve ever been offered at a movie!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — June 8, 2013 @ 9:29 am

Candied jale-what?! Good lord. Pure awesome.

That bottle *is* gorgeous. I want to design a room around it.

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — June 8, 2013 @ 9:51 am

Yes, yes and yes. How soon can I get these in my belly?!

Toyota Smith — June 8, 2013 @ 10:37 am

I love your blog so much. It makes me so happy to read about your life and your recipes. I am yet to try one yet but have a few ear marked for next weekend, will let you know how they go

• Julie — June 8th, 2013 @ 10:50 pm

i’d strongly encourage you NOT wait until next weekend to try howsweetseats recipes you’ve ear marked. you are missing quite a treat. i’ve not been disappointed yet. girl, get to cooking!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — June 8, 2013 @ 11:35 am Hahhaa but really – candied jalapenos. Like seriously. I have GOT to have these. Immediately!!! :P

Molly @ Baklette — June 8, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Candied jalepenos! Genius! AND that bottle, gorgeous! It makes me want to drink…! So are you going to the Nantucket film fest?! That is so cool! Someday I want to go to Sundance!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner — June 8, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

Hmmmm….thinking I can incorporate those candied jalapenos into my Cherry-Jalapeno Margaritas. They look awesome.

Also, that bottle is b-e-a-utiful! It’d be one of those things I held onto w hen it was empty just because I liked to look at it.

Heather — June 8, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

GASP!!! What a fun opportunity! And the candied jalapenos?! OMG. I will eat them all!

Dalila G. — June 8, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

How cool is this recipe?!!
    I was thinking of making this recipe for a friends get together, but I decide I shall suffer and try it all out by myself first!! ;-)
    I have to agree with all the comments on the bottle, too pretty!
    Great pictures!

Courtney @ BakeMeBetter — June 8, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

ooooo the cheese!

Kerry — June 8, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Candied jalapeños! What do those taste like???

natalie @ wee eats — June 8, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

i think i just blacked out for a minute, did you say CANDIED JALAPENOS? Just what I need, a NEW way to consume jalapenos… and fontina, isn’t it just the most glorious cheese in the whole world? And I’ve NEVER thought of putting it on nachos! As though it’s reserved for Italian food only (shame on me!) Tell us about this liquer, what does it taste like? (besides delicious with cheese) :)

Julie — June 8, 2013 @ 11:02 pm

Question: In your directions for the queso, you mention jalapeños cooking with the onion and garlic. You don’t have jalapeños listed in the ingredients for the queso. No hard feelings though, as I would have been way too consumed with inhaling these nachos to get anything accomplished correctly online also. So my question is, did you just toss in a few of the candied peppers or did you dice a fresh one for the queso?

Lindsay N. — June 9, 2013 @ 4:44 am

Candied jalapeños? No way! How did I not know such a marvelous thing existed? These nachos look so look!

Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen — June 9, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Two words. OH YES!

Amy — June 9, 2013 @ 9:14 am

i just tried candied jalapenos for the first the other day and I loved them. This recipe looks amazing!!! I love your blog! It’s great writing, mixed with humor and personal tidbits and topped with amazing recipes!

Jamie @lifelovelemons — June 9, 2013 @ 10:42 am

i need that pavan liquer in my life, ASAP.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — June 9, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Oh yes! Those are nachos that I could get used to!

nessa — June 9, 2013 @ 11:55 am

These are some serious nachos :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — June 9, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

Candied jalapenos… I die…

Kristi — June 9, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

There’s nothing about this post that I don’t like. Alcohol and nachos..Score!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — June 9, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

Fontina cheese is my favorite!!

Melissa @ Kids in the Sink — June 9, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

So this is what I’m wondering. Besides nachos, what else can I consume candied jalapenos on? I have FOUR jalapeno plants in my garden and I’m jazzed at the thought of eating them candied. But on what?! Quesadillas, nachos… ?

Macy — June 9, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

Jess – I will be on Nantucket starting tomorrow for vacation with my family (my mom grew up there!) annnddddd we al live outside of Pittsburgh.. small world. While on the island, you MUST eat a burger at LoLa Burger down by the steamship authority and try to get into Corazon del Mar for some of the best food on the island. Gahhh there are SO many good restaurants I hope you’ll have the chance to visit a few. Have so so much fun.

Sarah — June 9, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

This was my dinner tonight :-) Loved it! Another new favorite recipe from my favorite food blog!

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — June 9, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Love the candied jalapenos! They must make these nachos SO delicious.

Gabrielle — June 9, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

Candied jalapenos have been on my mind for a while. Can’t wait to try your recipe!

Liz @ LizSeeksChic — June 10, 2013 @ 12:06 am

Oh the yum! Mouth. Watering.

Judy @ Season of Sweets — June 10, 2013 @ 1:19 am

Thank you Jessica! I can hardly wait to try Pavan liqueur. I love the flavor of orange blossoms. They make a great buttercream and now a drink :). Plus, I have to have that bottle!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — June 10, 2013 @ 6:03 am

ummmmm I have to have these.

Alyssa — June 10, 2013 @ 9:52 am

These nachos look UNREAL!! Candying jalapenos?? Who would have thought of that! AMAZING idea!

Gaby — June 10, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Are you coming to Nantucket for the film festival? If so, I am a Nantucketer (and huge fan of your blog!) and would love to suggest places to eat and things to do during your visit to the island!

Abbe@This is How I Cook — June 10, 2013 @ 10:05 am

Love the candied jalapeno idea. A bit lighter than using jalapeno jam. Don’t know what the liqueor tastes like but I’d buy it for the bottle! This one I’m going to look for!

Jenna — June 10, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

These look really good! Love gorgeous bottles

Larry — June 10, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

OK, so you know how you asked if we were soulmates (due to my Instagram of my outfit which was acid-washed denim jacket and neon REALNESS)… well, this here just proves it. I think if I had to name a favorite food, it would be nachos. They are the perfect food! You get all of your major food groups on one plate of crunchy, cheesy deliciousness!
    Ugh. I’m starving.

Angela @ another bite please — June 11, 2013 @ 4:29 pm

ahhhh…that cheese….candied jalapenos my hubby would eat right up…as i drink up the bottle :-)

Christine Elise — June 11, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

Look! I stole your candies jalapenos & repurposed them! AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe!

42 — June 13, 2013 @ 2:54 am

Good blog post. I absolutely love this website. Stick with it!

Nutmeg Nanny — June 14, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

Oh so perfect, I love this :) and that Pavan bottle

Buddy Basset — January 25, 2015 @ 8:06 pm

my night can finally begin nachos and netflix

1. Pingback: Things I like Thursday! | Crazy Jamie

2. Pingback: Movie Theater Candy Chocolate Bark | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Nachos with Fontina Queso and Candied Jalapenos | A Tasty Life

4. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don’t Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party |

5. Pingback: あなたがスーパーボウル党で肉を必要としない26の理由 | 美味しい美味しい食事レシピ!

6. Pingback: あなたがスーパーボウル党で肉を必要としない26の理由 | 美味い飯特集!世界の美味い飯!

7. Pingback: Crisp Cauliflower Fritters {and nacho goodness} | A Tasty Life