Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza
Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp
We’ve been making our own pizza for years now, and I really think that it beats a lot of the pizza places around our home.
I always make a whole wheat crust, and it is 100% whole wheat. I find it is different from many wheat pizza crust recipes that I see, because many of them call for all-purpose flour.
I don’t add any white flour at all. The crust is nutty tasting, and a bit thinner and dense. We love thin crust, but if you prefer a more doughy crust, you may want to substitute some all-purpose flour for half of the wheat.
After the dough has risen, I roll it out then form it onto a baking sheet.
We love square pizza slices. :)
I just add a bit of tomato sauce in order to not overshadow the barbeque chicken.
My hubby loves tomato sauce. Me, not so much. He would swim in a vat of tomato sauce if he could. I wouldn’t join him. You know how veggies scare me.
Next come the toppings.
After the tomato sauce, I add on a layer of mozzarella cheese. Then comes the shredded chicken and carmelized onions.
The onions are a hit. They make the pizza. You gotta try.
Equal drizzles of ranch and barbeque sauce go on next. Homemade barbeque sauce, to be exact!
When it comes to pizzas, I use my same rule of thumb as I do with most dishes. I always make the wheat crust, and if it is just my husband and I, the toppings are usually reduced-fat options.
If I am making it for a party or a group of friends, I use full- fat toppings. The cheese always melts a bit nicer.
And I like my friends and family fatter.
To finish it off, I use a bit more mozzarella cheese, then a cheddar-jack blend. I love the cheddar combined with the chicken and barbeque sauce. It adds a nice, sharp flavor.
After about 20 minutes in the oven, it becomes warm, cheesy and crisp. The barbeque chicken flavor is fabulous!
The crust is thin with a fantastic, nutty wheat flavor. It is nice and crispy, too. I find it much more flavorful than regular pizza crust.
There are some wonderful flavors on the pizza, too- cheesy and salty, with a hint of sweetness from the barbeque sauce and onions.
Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more to rub on bowl
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar-jack cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces grilled, shredded chicken
- 2 medium red onions, carmelized
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- Mix yeast and warm water and let sit until foamy. In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt together. Once yeast is foamy, add in olive oil and honey and stir. Mix into flour and kneed to create a dough. You may need to add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.
- Place in an olive oil-rubbed bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Form crust into baking sheet or pizza sheet. Brush with olive oil and minced garlic. Add tomato sauce and a 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Top with shredded chicken, carmelized onions, barbeque sauce, and ranch dressing. Add remaining mozzerella cheese and cheddar-jack. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
What are your favorite pizza toppings? We also love buffalo chicken pizza. Most of our pizzas are packed with meat, since I live with The Protein King.
If only I could convince him that the stuffed turkey is some form of protein. He’d probably eat that, too.
I love a good ole’ plain cheese pizza. Cheese is where it’s at.
With some bacon on it, too. Everything’s better with bacon.