Grilled Chicken, Bacon and Spinach Flatbread Pizza.
Don’t fret, friends.
I didn’t cheat on my Lenten promise to give up bacon.
Although I’m about THIS.CLOSE.
Especially since I have came up with some incredible bacon recipes in the past week. Since I am not eating it, my mind is on bacon overload.
I made this flatbread pizza a few weeks ago, at the same time when I made the roasted veggie and goat cheese flatbread pizza. If you don’t believe me, ask Caitlin – her pretty, little face ate some with me.
I have been wanting more ever since. I am a true glutton.
The best part was seasoning the dough and slightly baking it before adding the toppings. It’s a tiny bit ‘puffy’ for being a flatbread, but I’m calling it what I want.
It’s my dough and I’ll cry if I want to.
Before I added the chicken and the bacon, I made the most sinful, delicious spinach mix. I whipped cream cheese, fresh, sauteed spinach and garlic, and a tons of parmesan cheese together to create a ‘sauce.’
Mr. How Sweet took one look at the green cream and insisted that ‘that stuff’ better not be going on his pizza. Clearly, this one was his pizza since, heaven forbid, he eat pizza with only vegetables and no meat. We have sharing issues in this house. It’s preparing me for motherhood.
I used some of my good ole’ trickery, and told him that ‘of course it was going on the vegetable pizza’. (Ha. I knew I had him. He wouldn’t pass up bacon + chicken.)
As usual, I was correct. One bite in, he exclaimed how delicious it was, never even asking about the spinach mixture.
This pizza was incredibly hearty and filling, with a vast array of flavors.
Loaded with grilled chicken, crispy bacon, and lots of bubbly, golden cheese – you just can’t go wrong.
- Flatbread Pizza Dough
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz grilled chicken, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, fried and torn apart
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 block, (4 oz) cream cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese
- Mix yeast with warm water and allow to get foamy – about 15 minutes. In a large bowl, mix flour (about 2 1/2 cups to start), salt, and seasoning, making sure it is well combined. Once yeast is foamy, add to dough and mix with hand. If more flour is needed, add it. Cover and let rise in a cool, dark place for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Divide pizza dough in half and spread out on a round pan or baking sheet. Bake alone for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Sautee spinach in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, with one minced garlic clove until it is cooked down. While it is still warm, combine it with cream cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Brush dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread spinach mix on dough. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Add on grilled chicken and bacon. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.