These go down in history as my most favorite treat I have made in years. They top all of the cupcakes, cookies, and bars I have made recently.
Homemade peppermint patties? I can hardly take it!
I enjoyed making them because they are different and unique. Not to mention, they are incredibly delicious and refreshing. I may be biased, but I truly think they taste better than York peppermint patties!
The recipe called for peppermint oil, with strict instructions not to use peppermint extract. I search high and low, far and wide and could not find any peppermint oil, besides the aromatherapy junk in Bath and Body Works. I didn’t think that was ideal.
So what did I do? I broke all the rules and used peppermint extract. I combined it with some vegetable oil, and the consistency came out perfectly!
The creamy inside is a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, peppermint and vanilla extracts, a touch of vegetable oil and evaporated milk.
Once is it mixed, it goes into the fridge for about an hour to get firm so it can be rolled into balls.
After some more refrigeration, I pressed each ball down with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer.
They weren’t perfect, but they just ended up in my tummy anyway. :)
After these babies were firm enough, I dipped them in chocolate and let them freeze a while longer.
The end result was unreal!
My chocolate coating is not the prettiest, but let’s be honest here – we all know I don’t have much patience. I coat the creamy peppermint in chocolate, then have to rush to get it in the freezer while my eyes, hands and heart and begging for it to get in my mouth.
And correct me if I’m wrong, but can these easily be made vegan with substitutions for the butter, milk and chocolate chips?
I will never eat a store-bought peppermint patty again.
Well . . . unless I’m really hungry.
Homemade Peppermint Patties
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- drop of peppermint extract
- 1 to 2 cups chocolate chips
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, milk, oil, oil, vanilla extract and peppermint extract until smooth. Scoop the mixture into a bowl and place it in the refrigerator to set. Once firm, roll into one inch balls. Push each down to flatten it. Set in freeze for another 60 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. Remove the patties from the freezer and dip in chocolate, setting on wax paper. Freeze again until ready to eat.
I know I say it all the time, but these really are a must-make! Please, please give it a try. They will give you goosebumps.
And my husband still is rockin’ the mustache. Tonight, he will be presented with a lovely meal . . . that does not include meat. Bahahah.
[photos by sarah fennel]