Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins.
There are some days that I wish Mr. How Sweet could cook.
And by cook, I mean cook things other than ground turkey, eggs, english muffins with peanut butter, and Trader Joe’s orange chicken.
I also wish he would stop snoring as loudly as a jet engine and start thinking of expensive shoes as an investment, but that’s neither here nor there.
Last night, I had no idea what I wanted for dinner. I’m sure you can relate. It was one of those nights where nothing sounded good, but I was starving and had already downed 3 bowls of cereal.
So I whipped up some muffins. Nothing goes better with carbs than more carbs.
Yes, I am still a muffin freak.
They are just so versatile that I love having a batch on hand each week to add to yogurt or smother with peanut butter.
Don’t worry, I exert portion control. I only have 6 in a sitting when I really want 7.
These are perfect for you chocolate lovers who don’t like things too sweet. I will never fully understand how that is humanly possible, but I know there are some of you out there.
The muffins are moist like banana bread, but dense and chewy. Chocolate chips would be a delicious addition, but I didn’t add any in order to keep it a bit more healthy.
That’s a lie. I was just out of them, obviously.
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins.
- Mix sugar, applesauce, and egg until creamy and light yellow. Add bananas and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir until smooth. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Top with course sugar if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.
Instead of becoming an old lady with cats, I’m going to be an old lady with muffins.
At least I’ll smell better.