Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup
I’ve been in the midst of a torrid love affair this winter. And if you haven’t noticed, the subject of my devotion begins with “s” and ends with “oup.”
[Look at that big hunk of burning love up there.]
Truth be told, I’ve fallen deeply in love with creating soup recipes. Dare I say I’ve been enjoying making soup more than cookies? It’s sort of true. But we all know I’m dramatic. And I change my mind more often than my socks. Really.
If you’ve been reading closely, you couldn’t miss it. Chicken Chickpea Soup and Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup made it on the list for the top viewed dinner recipes of 2010, and they are now two of my favorite recipes – I’ve already made both of them three times.
That says a lot for someone who hates to make the same recipe twice.
And this soup isn’t far behind.
It should go without saying that I love brie. We have enough cheese in our fridge to feed a small country, which may be a sin… but surely a delicious one.
And it has been well over a year since I made a creamy, cheesy soup. In my opinion that is way too long.
No, I didn’t forget the bacon. Honestly, I didn’t have any on hand. I know. I cried too.
But I was wary of how the bacon grease would mix with the cheese and stock. Bacon would definitely make a great garnish on top, but as for the soup, you can get more than your daily allowance of saturated fat just from the cheese.
If you’re a vegetarian? Skip the chicken. We all know I had to throw the chicken in there so Mr. How Sweet wouldn’t run amuck. This makes a delicious, cheesy soup – even without the chicken.
I’ve done my fair share of slurping this winter. I also have spilled more soup on my kitchen floor (and beige carpet) than humanely possible.
Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cups raw spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 8 ounces brie cheese, torn/chopped into small pieces
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions and peppers with a sprinkle of salt and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in spinach and garlic. Add butter, and once it melts whisk in flour to create a roux. Make sure you whisk all ingredients together.
- Add chicken to the pot, along with milk and chicken stock. Allow soup to come to a simmer, then add brie and continue stirring until it all melts – about 5 minutes. Stir in half and half. Turn heat up high and let soup come to a boil, stirring every few minutes so cheese does not stick to the bottom. At this point, you may see some separate of stock/milk, but with a few stirs and time to simmer, the soup will come together.
- Once soup boils, turn it down to a simmer and allow to cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot!
Now who’s coming to scrub my kitchen floors?