Sticky Thai Chicken Wings.
Friday… thank goodness you’re here.
And the only reason I’m saying that is because I had an almost actual heart attack last night while watching Grey’s Anatomy, another show I’m not so invested in until the season finale rolls around, and really, I think I almost died. I mean, I’m serious. I had phantom pain. Or something. I just kept talking to my husband like they were people in the universe, like this was true life non-MTV division, and just completely and utterly like… losing my mind. I mean… oh.mah.gah. I have heart palpitations just thinking about it. And all he could say to comfort me was that “they should just bring Izzie back, because you know she saved that stupid deer once so I’m sure she could save everyone here.” Whatever. I’m not throwing stones.
Needless to say I had a straight up meltdown and felt anxiety all day leading up to the episode and cannot stop considering this one minor detail: the life I need to get. Also, I sort of feel like I could do all sorts of surgeries on myself in the wilderness now if needed. Because I’m not a doctor but I watch them on TV.
And then I couldn’t even sleep a wink.
But now that you’ve clicked that big black “X” in the corner because I’m thoroughly ridiculous, pathetic and disillusioned, let’s discuss chicken wings that can be made in one skillet and one skillet only. They definitely rank up there on that list of foods that are a boatload of work to eat for a super small result, and I’ll be the first to admit that they are last on my list of snacks – even after multiple adult beverages are consumed – for the mess factor and the tiny yield.
In my world, anything thai flavored is fantabulously fantastic and to say we went to town on these wings would be a crazy understatement. And then after that, someone I know dipped about a thousand pretzels in the remaining skillet sauce. Why couldn’t Grey’s be that awesome?
- 2.5 pounds chicken wings
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup lite canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon-sized knob of ginger, grated
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pat chicken wings completely dry then season with salt and pepper. Combine chili sauce, vinegar, coconut milk, sugar, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, soy sauce and lime juice, mixing with a fork.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add chicken wings and sear, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove wings and set on a plate, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add chili sauce mixture and bring to boil. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Add wings back into the sauce, tossing to coat. Place skillet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and spoon the sauce over top of the wings, then garnish with peanuts, cilantro and onions.
If you made it this far, you’re an angel.