Mini Buckwheat Bacon Pancakes with Bourbon Syrup.
Is this still breakfast?
I mean, pancakes are always breakfast. Right?
And bacon is always breakfast.
And bourbon is usually not breakfast, unless… nevermind.
I’m pretty sure that this is my ULTIMATE breakfast. Whatever that means.
The breakfast that I’d choose as my last meal? Maybe with an egg.
Now I’m really making things complicated.
A few days ago we went to a brunch preview at the aviary (which goodness gracious, was unreal) and had a few mini buckwheat pancakes. They were incredibly delicious and so much more flavorful than I ever thought itty bitty buckwheat pancakes could be. Ever ever.
So of course, leave it up to me to trash such pancakes up.
But what else would you expect?
Mini Buckwheat Bacon Pancakes with Bourbon Syrup
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled + more if you want it for topping
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To make the syrup, add bourbon to a small saucepan and heat over low heat until simmering. Cook for 2-3 minutes, just until the alcohol cooks off. With the heat on very low, add the maple syrup and butter and stir. Let sit over low heat if you’d like it warm or set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract, then mix it into the dry ingredients until a batter forms. Add in crumbled bacon and stir.
- Heat a large skillet or electric griddle oven medium-low to low heat. Once hot, add a bit of butter (it makes the best pancakes people!) and add 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter for mini pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear on top, then flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Repeat! Serve top with extra bacon if desired and syrup.
You know what mini things mean!