Honey Ginger Chicken Tostadas with Pomegranate Lime Salsa.
We need to talk about something.
Like, say, the fact that I ended up consuming three of these tortillas before I even threw this whole mess together. It was really ridiculous.
Orrrr maybe we should talk about how I have an intriguing desire to start dressing like Adriana in the Sopranos episode I was watching last night. She had on some black and metallic-y leopard print getup on that really appealed to my overdue 90s sense of style. Like a shopping-at-Cache-in-1998 type of outfit.
Like an outfit that could no be worn if you were eating three crispy tortillas for lunch.
Why can’t sweat pants be a high fashion thing?
I’m aware that this meal isn’t very halloweeny but I figure that you’ve had more than your fair share of candy right now along with your eyeballs being assaulted with king size candy bars being shoved inside of baked goods or crumbled on top of cakes. Next thing I know there will be snickers bars inside of enchiladas and gummy worms in salad. I just can’t compete.
So we’re doing something different entirely. DINNAH!
You probably already know I’m quite a fan of the tostada and while this one is a bit simpler than my other versions, the flavor is right on point. I am currently adoring ginger and pomegranate together, and this honey ginger chicken is delicious and garlicky. The big old handful of pom salsa on top is totally refreshing and… pretty. Pretty! Isn’t it pretty?!
Oh wait. Can we please have a moment for my obligatory stacked fried tortilla picture in a tostada post.
I even stuck paper towels in between them this time. For you! Thought we needed to spice things up.
You can definitely add some beans or other (gasp) veggies on here, but I am lov.ing. these flavors. This chicken can be used in a million and one other things too, and I might have eaten a bit cold from the fridge with some extra sea salt on top.
That is huge. No really. The only thing you may find my grabbing from the fridge and adding sea salt on is a fat brick of chocolate.
So, I’m growing up.
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 (4-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice
- pinch of salt + pepper
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Whisk together the oil, honey, ginger and garlic. Add the chicken to a baking dish or resealable bag and pour the marinade over top. Refrigerate and marinate for 2 to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken (discarding any extra marinade), cover and cook until it is golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. After the chicken has cooked, you can shred it a bit if desired. (I did.)
- To crisp the tortillas, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil 1 tablespoon at a time. Add each tortilla to the skillet and flip, cooking both sides until the are golden and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove the tortillas from the skillet and place them on a paper towel to drain.
- Assemble the tostadas by adding the chicken on top of the tortilla, adding a sprinkling of green onions and covering with the salsa.
- Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and stir. You can make this ahead of time. It will stay good for 2-3 days sealed tightly in the fridge.
Come trick or treat at my house and you can have one of these. (or a bottle of wine.)