White Chicken Quinoa Chili.
This makes no sense.
How about I make some chili this week? says me.
How about I warm up to 80 degrees all this week? says the universe.
I’m annoyed. Actually, I just typed out I’m “annoying” by mistake and I’m sure you will agree that I am that too. But I’m annoyed that it’s so hot out. I think I was born to live in Antarctica. It’s true. Okay, enough. I get it.
I am in complete soup overload.
Once a week – for real, it’s probably happening. I mean, I know I said that last week and I’m not planning it exactly like that because the minute I try to plan something I rebel and have absolutely zero interest in doing it, but what I’m saying is that I have a ton of freaking soup/stew/chili recipes that I’m yearning to share with you.
Yearning. That is not me. So not me.
Run on sentences. So me.
One of the reasons that I love making soups, besides the fact that, duh – I just really enjoy them, is because it provides me with the easiest lunches ever during the week. And filling ones too. Because I am convinced that when one works from home and has access to a fully stocked kitchen, pantry and whatever random recipes are lying around that day, that one is constantly a bottomless pit. Like I can just open up my mouth and pour soup down the hatch and never be full and still want to have a snack of those [insert whatever sounds delicious and is in the fridge today] immediately.
Right now that inserted snack is still seedless black grapes. It seems like we’ve eaten at least one hundred pounds of them in the last week.
Want to talk about steamy chili?
This is some seriously pumped up chili. We’re talking chicken, beans, quinoa – protein overload. Luckily, that means lots of room for carbs which translates to “crumble ten thousand tortilla chips on top of your soup today.”
White Chicken Quinoa Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and shredded
- 3 cups or 2 cans, drained + rinsed cannellini beans
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, I used red quinoa to add a little color
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, freshly grated + mroe for topping
- blue corn chips for crushing on top
- lime wedges for serving
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add olive oil. Add in the onion, peppers and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and stir. Add the in shredded chicken, beans and chicken stock. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa, half and half and grated cheese, stirring well until the cheese is melted. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Taste and season additionally if desired. Serve with extra cheese, chips and lime wedges.
extra cheese please.