Blueberry Yogurt Crumb Muffins.
Sometimes I like to be boring.
In fact, I crave it.
I’m the queen of lowkey Saturday nights. Please just give me a couch, a warm home, some sort of snack and I’m golden. Maybe some good TV. A compelling book. Or just like fifty hilarious youtube videos.
Even my neon obsession gets a bit boring at times because it’s all… just… so… bright.
Where I can’t stand to be bored is… my food.
Yet, being the hypocrite that I am, there are exceptions. I just don’t always want a muffin stuffed with chocolate chips and raspberries and mashed banana and walnuts and forty other ingredient. I just sometimes want blueberry. Warm muffins where those giant blueberry bulbs burst in your mouth and even though they are super hot and burn every last tastebud off of you’re tongue, you love it because it’s ideal comfort food. Especially when slathered in butter.
Only a few things taste like that. All homey and stuff.
You may remember back in the day when I used to go on muffin making binges. I guess I’m back on one and this was my fourth batch in two weeks. I can’t get enough of their puffy little interior. I’ve even been enjoying one for breakfast with some peanut butter and this is a big honking deal since in a previous life I only considered muffins to be snack worthy. And snack worthy only. But these fluff nuggets are made with whole wheat pastry flour and a little crunchy top and the fattest blueberries in all the land.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Yogurt Crumb Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, I like 2%
- 2/3 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, tossed in flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, flaxseed, baking soda, powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, milk, butter and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just combined. Do not overmix! Use a spatula to stir in the blueberries. Fill the muffin tins 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the crumb mixture. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until just set and golden on top. Let cool slightly before eating.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Use your fingers or a fork to add the butter to the mixture and mix until small crumbs remain. I do this with my fingers and take a good 2-3 minutes.