That’s really delicious.

watermelon ginger sparklers I

While everyone else around me is all omg fall! and pumpkin spice lattes and scarves and boots and chilly weather I’m still trying to figure out how I can hoard every bit of summer produce in the universe. All the fruit, all the time.

Oh but I did buy one fall colored nail polish already. Like I really needed another one. But I DID. It’s dark blue with gold flecks and… and… and… totally different from all the other dark blue with gold fleck shades that I have. I KNOW.

watermelon ginger sparklers I

But really.

I don’t even feel like it ever got hot enough to eat watermelon, but I sure as heck devoured my share so far.

watermelon ginger sparklers I

Perhaps the craziest thing that I’ve experienced in this pregnancy (okay, not the craziest by any means, but odd for me) is that I’ve wanted flavored drinks. I’ve mentioned it a few times here and there and I’m not talking about cocktails or anything (though a margarita sounds amazzzzzing as does some ice cold pinot grigio), just beverages other than water. I’m a lunatic and have always loathed carbonation (burns my mouth, chest and throat) and haven’t cared about flavored drinks, because water tastes so dang good to me.

Like so, so good.

Now I want every beverage known to man that has some sort of flavor other than plain water. GIVE ME ALL THE DRANKS!

watermelon ginger sparklers I

So I made us this.

It starts with a vanilla bean (see the beans??) ginger syrup and some watermelon juice. A drop of club soda. Lots of crushed ice (the best kind, yes ice connoisseur-ism is a thing) and then a few cucumbers added in because they are 1. pretty 2. cute and 3. a vegetable which makes this a health food which means you are practically drinking a salad.

Seriously. Now go eat a donut. It’s friday.

watermelon ginger sparklers I

Watermelon Ginger Sparklers

Yield: serves 4

Total Time: 15 minutes

4 cups watermelon cubes
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 knob fresh ginger
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
1 seedless cucumber, sliced
1 cup club soda
candied ginger for serving

Place the watermelon in a blender and blend until pureed and liquified. Pour the contents through a fine mesh sieve, saving all the watermelon juice in a large pitcher.

Add the sugar, water, ginger and vanilla beans plus the empty pod to a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat while whisking constantly until the sugar dissolves. Allow the mixture to simmer for a minute or two until it becomes syrupy. Remove from the heat and let cool.

To assemble the drinks, add crushed ice in a cup. Pour a few ounces of the vanilla ginger syrup into the cup, then add 4 or so ounces of watermelon juice. Pop the cucumbers in the cub and add about 2 ounces of club soda. Taste and adjust the drink to your desired taste - more syrup or juice, or more club soda. Stir well to mix. Serve!

watermelon ginger sparklers I

It’s really fun in my brain.

54 Responses to “Watermelon Ginger Sparklers. (I made us a mocktail!)”

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 22, 2014 @ 7:11 am

Love these mocktails! So pretty!

Aimee @ Simple Bites — August 22, 2014 @ 7:35 am

I’m holding onto summer with you! Now pass me a sparkler, please. ;)

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — August 22, 2014 @ 7:51 am

I am so all over this. Not only because of the watermelon, but also because of the ginger. And the fact that there’s no booze (it’s been a looooong summer). Love that you’re trying to hold onto summer…me too!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — August 22, 2014 @ 7:54 am

This is so dang pretty! And yeah, I am a little jealous of your crushed ice. The only way I can make crushed ice is by taking a massive king ice cube and smashing it on my countertop (ice goes EVERYWHERE!).

Hope you’re getting to drink all the flavored liquids on vacation! :)

amanda @ fake ginger — August 22, 2014 @ 8:31 am

In my last pregnancy, I had kind of the same issue. I couldn’t stomach plain, flat water. And I still can’t unless it’s REALLY, REALLY cold.

I love this mocktail! I kind of want one right now.

Meg Jones | The Spatularette — August 22, 2014 @ 8:39 am

I want to drink it as is… but I also want to pour gin in it. Happy weekend!

DessertForTwo — August 22, 2014 @ 8:58 am

YAY, hold the pumpkin, gimme all the watermelons. Plus ginger. omg!

8 — August 22, 2014 @ 9:28 am

Ginger and watermelon…sounds great together! LOVE LOVE watermelon especially at this time of year!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — August 22, 2014 @ 9:30 am

I’m semi-seriously contemplating a deep freeze so I can hoard summer fruit. Love love the ginger too!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — August 22, 2014 @ 9:38 am

When I was pregnant all I did was eat watermelon! When I went to my favorite roadside stand to get my last melon of the summer, the man took one look at me and said, “Look’s to me like you done already swallowered a watermelon seed,” It was amazing. One of my all time favorite memories ever.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — August 22, 2014 @ 9:48 am

Gorgeous! And I love that they’re mocktails!

Alex — August 22, 2014 @ 11:05 am

What nail polish did you buy? Your description of the color sounds like the stuff dreams are made of and I must have it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 22, 2014 @ 11:13 am

This drink looks and sounds amazing! I’m with you on fizzy, flavored water – and just this summer totally got into it. I don’t know why but for the first time ever just needed more than plain ole water. And proceeded to buy and try every flavored water under the sun! This looks like it would trump them all! pinned!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — August 22, 2014 @ 12:08 pm

This looks delicious Jessica! And I’m with you – still holding on strong to summer. I’m eating ALL THE ICE CREAM!

Natalie @ Paper & Birch — August 22, 2014 @ 12:31 pm

This looks like the perfect summer drink! Love the colours too :)

Mila — August 22, 2014 @ 12:37 pm

You didn’t address the hardest part of the cocktail… the crushed ice!!! Do you buy it somewhere because I have yet to find it. And I’ve been known to use some weird time consuming tactics, and was wondering how you got the perfect crushed ice?

Nicole @ Just Live It — August 22, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m the SAME exact way!!! I’m 26 weeks pregnant, and water is so boring to me right now. I want flavored beverages!! I’m a little relieved to find out that I’m not the only preggo lady out there like that. Ha, ha!
    Oh, and for the record, this looks AMAZING! I wish I could reach into the picture, pull out a glass, and take a sip!

Larry — August 22, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

These would be AHMAYZING with vodka. bahahaha I have a huge birthday coming up (threeOH NO YOU DI’INT!) and so I want to drink all of the things that blurr those lines. mhmm!

Erika — August 22, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

Gimme all the drinks indeed! I love that ginger syrup in this.. I bet that taste amazing with watermelon.

Mandy — August 22, 2014 @ 7:06 pm

Omg! These look delicious. And I love your personality! Haha. xo

Jessi — August 23, 2014 @ 5:52 am

These look delicious!

Lucia — August 23, 2014 @ 5:56 am

These look INCREDIBLE! Definitely going to give them a go this weekend x

Laura — August 23, 2014 @ 7:37 am

…. “All the fruit, all the time.” – 110% agreement.

Elizabeth — August 23, 2014 @ 8:29 am

I LOVE the watermelon/ginger combo!!! Everyone stares at me freakishly when I take ground ginger and sprinkle it on my watermelon before I eat it. I’ve been doing it for YEARS!!! Glad I’m not the only one who has discovered that flavor combo.

Riley Wofford — August 23, 2014 @ 10:43 am

I too am very jealous of your crushed ice… This looks delicious and so refreshing!

Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness — August 23, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

These sound delish! I’m with you about wanting all the fruit, all the time. I’ve been obsessed with strawberry watermelon smoothies all summer, and actually just had one earlier today. Yum!

autumnmakes — August 24, 2014 @ 9:31 am

I’m still in watermelon mode too! I have one on my countertop that is waiting to be cut open. These sound so darn refreshing!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner — August 25, 2014 @ 11:20 am

I still haven’t had any watermelon this summer. Ahh!

tara — August 25, 2014 @ 6:49 pm

Mmm this looks so good!! And crushed ice really is the best (we’re talking the little tiny baby cubes of crushed ice, right? Just to be clear…)

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — August 26, 2014 @ 6:38 pm

From one pregnant lady to another, thank you.

Alex @ True Femme — August 27, 2014 @ 11:35 am

This does look really fun! I love watermelon and it is without a doubt my favorite summer fruit!

Chelle — August 27, 2014 @ 12:58 pm

This looks ah-mazing! I’ve been on a cocktail kick all summer, all fruit. I’ve been freezing cubes of watermelon and popping it in everything. It’s the bomb! Pears and peaches work as well, but watermelon is by far the best! When I was pregnant with my third I was all about frozen green grapes, I still crave them 20yrs later. For those that might want to add something to this vanilla vodka would be good. ;-)

Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 27, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

So simple and refreshing and perfect timing for the two little babies I have on my counter; thanks!

Hope Howland (@HHDesigns) — August 28, 2014 @ 5:57 pm

Oh I need this in my life… pronto…

1. Pingback: Friday Fresh Squeeze #153 - Floridian Weddings

2. Pingback: #Droolworthy - The Kitchen Paper

3. Pingback: I’ve been drinking… | MUST WE?

4. Pingback: August Favorites: Beauty. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Five for Friday

6. Pingback: Saturday Swoon | Apples to Ziti

7. Pingback: August Favourites | The Pink Rose Bakery

8. Pingback: 30 Awesome Flavored Water Ideas & Recipes

9. Pingback: ม็อกเทลแตงโมขิงโซดา | Lifestyle Idea DIY

10. Pingback: 23 Refreshing Summer Drinks That May Cure Your Soda Habit | JCH

11. Pingback: 23 Refreshing Summer Drinks That May Cure Your Soda Habit | Saket Jalan

12. Pingback: Refreshing Summer Drinks You Need | WORLD Warotter

13. Pingback: 23 Refreshing Summer Drinks That May Cure Your Soda Habit | Divya Jalan

14. Pingback: 5 Refreshing Drinks For The Scorching Summer - Cookbook

15. Pingback: Watermelon Ginger Sparklers | How Sweet It Is | Pots, Pans and Proverbs

16. Pingback: 30 Refreshing Non-Alcoholic Summer Drinks - Some the Wiser

17. Pingback: しゅわっと爽快♪夏にはじける“炭酸”&“ソーダ”ドリンクレシピ | GarbWeeks

18. Pingback: Recipe Inspiration: End of Summer | Glitter & Grace

19. Pingback: Ideas para las vacaciones de verano 4 - Demodé

20. Pingback: 5 Yummy Watermelon Recipes + Friday Link Love - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion